Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LB Lancer Track Car

Strange option but it is free, I hoping it will have 28spline axles like the rx4 if not I won't bother.

What year hilux is that? it might be too heavy for such a little car.
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Not sure of the year, think it was a RN40?? I don't know how much heavier it would be over the standard diff, but any decent option is going to be heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by RESON8 View Post
    Strange option but it is free, I hoping it will have 28spline axles like the rx4 if not I won't bother.

What year hilux is that? it might be too heavy for such a little car.
    Pretty sure the 929 is the 28 spline just like a RX4, fuckin hilux is too big, also the spectron diff is the same if IIRC
    SA IPRA cars 15, 51, 77 and 25
    (Sharperto Racing)

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/

Adam Allan mentioned something about a spectron diff, it is meant to be narrow maybe no chopping needed.
    I will go to the wreckers and see if I can find one to measure up.
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Any updates on the diff or wider flares?

No updates on the diff yet.
    But i am picking up the vr4 donk this week and cage is going in on 31st

Progress, cool

Diff

Reason,

Something also to consider with decision on a diff is the sprung Vs unsprung weight with handling characteristics.

Cars looking very nice.

Cheers,
    Mick

Just got the car back from Walker Chassis today they did all roll cage work, and I am very happy with their work and turn around, highly recommended.

It is a 6point weld in with harness bar, rear diagonal brace and diagonal in the roof plus side intrusion bars. You can see in the picture that they also put small diagonal gussets from the main hoop to the b-pillar and top bar. I wanted it braced to the b-pillar but because the main hoop is set so far back they had to do it like this, it worked out well. I might have to squeeze some padding over the diagonal on the drivers side as I am sure I will hit it with my helmet over bumps.

The front legs are nice and tight against the a-pillar and dont obstruct your view or the pedals.

I am still waiting for my engine to be pulled out of the front cut a the wreckers then I can get stuck into the fun stuff.

Here are the pics.

looks good! what diameter is that? looks pretty thin!

dude...yellow...
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Nice! No harness bar?

The yellow looks good in the flesh. The price was right also!

I wanted it green but was told it was unlucky on race car then saw 20L of the yellow up on ebay for $100.

Main hoop OD is 45mm 2.6mm wall thickness, all other are 38.1mm OD 2.6mm wall thickness.

Hoonboy, the harness bar runs between the two lower back legs, the camera angles aren't that good but the harness can get through and at the right angle.

I wanted it green but was told it was unlucky on race car ...
    You suck

Hoonboy, the harness bar runs between the two lower back legs, the camera angles aren't that good but the harness can get through and at the right angle.
    OK, looks a little low, I know mine is about 10cm higher then that and I would of preferred higher but had to compromise due to the co-drivers lack of height. As long as it's not more then 45 degress you will technically be fine anyway.

fair enuff. Yellow does look better on racecars than road cars, and green vice versa (sorry hoonboy lol) but a fresh coat of Spitfire Orange looked fantastic on my rally car.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

[jeffs dad]the cams "legal"harness bar is already fitted in the cage...horizontal bar between the rear wheel arches!..as long as it isn't lower than 40 degrees from shoulder horizontal.also [in sa]i like to see 2 "stops "
    1each side of harness to stop it sliding sideways eg.2..large cable ties or[neater]a "u"shaped metal bracket over each belt,especially if there is any extreme length between seat& rear mntg. point.10 degrees is ideal but still allowed 40 deg.for harness angle.
    Tow car/daily: 2011 D40 Navara ST

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

You obviously know ashley I recognize the trailer, I towed my car to PI with it, it was fuckin awesome.. I havent seen Ash for a while how is the sigma going... ready to hit the track

Cheers
    John

SA IPRA cars 15, 51, 77 and 25
    (Sharperto Racing)

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/

Here are the pics.

looks great - how much extra did you pay for the additional bars?
    Tow car/daily: 2011 D40 Navara ST

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

where the bars meet the top of the hoop can u take a pic how close they are? and also feel if they welded all around, im getting heaps picky these days lol.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

John, goood work picking the trailer I used to work with Ash at ZF he convinced me it would be good idea to build the car. I think all of the body work is done on his sigma just needs some paint and he has a different box to go aswell.
    The trailer does tow well apart from my lack of brake controller, I plan to get a trailer but something smaller my car is just wide enough for Ash's.

Da9jeff - He did charge me any extra for the braces, even kept the same price that he quoted me 3months ago when I booked it in.

Playa - the weld goes all the way around even up around near the roof where the would only be 10mm clearance. Here are the photos of the bars meeting on the main hoop at the drivers side, first one is driver side of the hoop the second is through the rear door opening. If you want to come around and check it let me know.

that dude must be pro++, i know he does do it for a living but still thats close where the A piller bars go
    is there holes in your floor where he dropped the cage down?
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

No holes in the floor there is steel plate welded to the floor the tube welded to that. For the main hoop feet he boxed up a section, below picture is of the passenger side.

Hoonboy or Jim do you anything about the Lancer a175 diff? I might be able to get one with a 3.9ratio and mech LSD but I don't know anything about them and how much power they can take.
    I will go and measure it up tomorrow.

yea the box is how he got to the top, tack it all up then drop it down fully weld it then put the box in. smart
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Hoonboy or Jim do you anything about the Lancer a175 diff? I might be able to get one with a 3.9ratio and mech LSD but I don't know anything about them and how much power they can take.
    I will go and measure it up tomorrow.
    Interchangable with the stock diff... I bent an axle with the old motor and only 106bhp at the wheels..

Just got the car back from Walker Chassis today they did all roll cage work, and I am very happy with their work and turn around, highly recommended.

It is a 6point weld in with harness bar, rear diagonal brace and diagonal in the roof plus side intrusion bars. You can see in the picture that they also put small diagonal gussets from the main hoop to the b-pillar and top bar. I wanted it braced to the b-pillar but because the main hoop is set so far back they had to do it like this, it worked out well. I might have to squeeze some padding over the diagonal on the drivers side as I am sure I will hit it with my helmet over bumps
    Is there a good reason that brace next to your head doesn't continue back to the rear feet?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Is there a good reason that brace next to your head doesn't continue back to the rear feet?
    its how they always do it, seen same thing in the cams manual

also where is your taxi bar for harness mounts?
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    its how they always do it, seen same thing in the cams manual
    Doesn't mean its the right way... Terminating a diagonal in the middle of a span is bad practice - doesn't transfer the loads anywhere except into bending the span.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

that tube is larger then usually used, have a look at every WRC car, they use it to strengthen that junction, usually around 20 cm long from what i seen.

I mean the door bars terminate in the middle of the hoop too....
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    also where is your taxi bar for harness mounts?
    See the posts above, he is using the bar going between the rear legs.