Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: LB Lancer Track Car

the Afterbirth Tycoon PlacentaJuan's Avatar
    is very nice work.

makes me want to get into racing just to build a car like that!

Quote Originally Posted by RESON8 View Post
    This is how it ended up, it is mounted up off the one of attach points for the steering column once I am happy with get a bolt the right length a piss off some of the spacers. It all seems pretty solid and travels very freely I will see how it goes once I bleed it up. I also have to see if I can have the fluid inlet on the side like I have done.

I'd try to brace the free end of that mounting bolt somewhere so it doesn't flex.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Just a quick update, I had a week off work and some cash saved up so I got stuck into the car.

Engine has been out to do the all of the final work for the turbo plumbing, trying to do up all of the fittings to the core of the turbo was a pain in the arse very little spanner clearance even after grinding down some spanners.

Also finished plumbing up my remote thermostate housing that also houses the water temp sensors and turbo water feed.

I bent up some alloy fuel lines for the fuel feed and return, took a lot longer then what I expected. I also have mounted all of the fuel gear in the boot and had a frame welded up for the tank to sit on.

Tonight I just finished tacking together the exhaust I am quite happy with the result expecially as it was my first go, even the dump collector cam out alright. I have a mate with a decent welder who is going to clean up my welds on the dump flange as well do the final welding on the system as my welder and welding skills are both pretty average.

Next on the list is saving up for the fuel fittings and finish plumbing up my newly acquired ebay radiator and cooler.
    Last edited by RESON8; 13-07-10 at 11:32 PM.
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

furious masturbater SausageFingers's Avatar
    Just read from start to finish, really cool little racer with a heap of info in this thread. looking forward to further updates soon.

It runs

Fired it up on the weekend, it started pretty well only issue was with the ignition triggers for the coils not firing in the order they same they will.
    The map I am using is very rich but will do for now till I can get it on the dyno, I will put up with the cracking and poping and flames for now.

Only other electrical issue is it won't shut off by turning off the ignition switch, but if I pull the plug out of the back of the alternator with the signal and light wires then flick the ignition switch it stops. I must have cocked up the alternator wiring.

Startup and walkaround
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOGo1HIRy1s

Lots of black smoke and a little flame
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flA549JNQMk
    Last edited by RESON8; 15-08-10 at 08:53 PM.
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Awesome

ETA till skids??

Thats a fucking good lookin rig.

Keep up the good work.

Neil

not long now mate, will you be debuting at the last state round ?, we just need Ash to get the Sigma happening
    SA IPRA cars 15, 51, 77 and 25
    (Sharperto Racing)

http://www.iprasa.mx.com.au/

Need to get this photographed while it's still gorgeous. Love it. Rohan, come in Rohan.
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

John I don't think I will be racing it this year I still need to finish the brakes and suspension, hopefully get it out at least to a practice day ready for next year. There was also a nice big puddle of coolant under the radiator when I ran it lastnight hopefully I don't need to fork out for a new one that will set it back. Ash's sigma is still a fair bit off but he did get inspired to get working on his after helping me start mine up.

2rismo I am coping a lot of flack from the rest of the guys on how clean it is looking for a track car don't know how long I can keep it going.

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar
    Looks well thought out - like it!

Ahhhhhh 1+1=2

Simon rang me on the weekend asking about someone he knows using a Autronic having some issues.

i see from the pic's you are using the early model CAS (tail type) and apparently a Autronic configured for a E1-9.

They changed the CAS output between early model VR4 CAS's and facelift (plug type) so your signal to the ECU will probably be 180deg out of phase.

Quote Originally Posted by to4garret View Post
    Ahhhhhh 1+1=2

Simon rang me on the weekend asking about someone he knows using a Autronic having some issues.

i see from the pic's you are using the early model CAS (tail type) and apparently a Autronic configured for a E1-9.

They changed the CAS output between early model VR4 CAS's and facelift (plug type) so your signal to the ECU will probably be 180deg out of phase.
    Small world hey, yeah that expains the 180degs out and my dodge looking ignition lead order, I will try to pull the CAS out tonight and turn it if I don't have the clearance I will have to do it when the motor is pulled for the dyno.

i dont think you can just rotate the CAS, as its mounting points are slightly offset.

Your best bet will be to just switch the two signal pins on the plug or further up the loom. This is what has changed between the CAS types. Signals the same just the wires were switched.

This is how the later CAS are wired,

Pin 1 Ground (Black)
    Pin 2 12v+ (Red)
    Pin 3 Crank Angle Trigger (Black)
    Pin 4 TDC Trigger (White)

Your Pin 3 & 4 will be opposite, but i see you have a different plug than standard, so you might need to do some figuring out.

Edit:

Actually, just going over my notes, i may have the above incorrect as in the order of the TDC and Crank angle wires. Surfice to say, you do just need to switch them, i had to perform the same with my ECU.
    Last edited by to4garret; 17-08-10 at 01:11 PM.

This is how I wired it up for the 1g CAS

VR4 Colour - SM4 Pin/Desc - SM4 Wire Colour
    Red - 11- O/P 8v Trigger- Red/Black
    Black - 22- Sensor Ground - Black
    White - 26- I/P Sync +ve - Red
    Yellow - 25 - I/P Cylinder +ve - Red

I was going to correct it by taking the CAS off turning the inner leg 180Deg so the two timing marks are 180degs out then pop it back in. It will be easier to just switch the two signal wires around if you think that will work, that way the timing marks on the CAS still line up for future fault finding.

Just again, so i can make sure i got it right,

there are two types of CAS's, tail plug type (Pre Facelift VR4) and just plug type (Facelift VR4).

All 1G (DSM) sensors are Facelift VR4 stuff (Plug type CAS)

The TDC and Crank Angle wires were switched between the types of (VR4) CAS's, due to different internals, i believe they switched from hall effect to magnetic pickup or vice verse.

You could just put the CAS inner leg 180deg out, but then the ECU would still be seeing an incorrect TDC reference.

I would switch the two trigger wires and see how you go

I went through this as the borg used to run a pre facelift loom and i put a facelift vr4 engine and sensors in. when i first started it, it was running 180 out like you, i ended up switching the coil pack wiring. eventually i started going through coil packs and ignitors, i cracked the shits and brought a aftermarket ecu a loom, wired it all up and it did the same thing.

thats when i found the difference in the CAS wiring...

but then again, this may not be your problem, which ignitor are you using? just the VR4 one?

again, there are two types for them as well. one with 5 or 6 pins (square plug) and a later model one 8 pins i think (plug the same as a evo AFM)

My CAS is the early one it has the flylead coming off it. I tried switching the two wires around and putting the spark plug leads on the correct cylinders and it wouldn't start. I then switched the wires back and it turned the leg 180degs and it fired up. I found out that I cocked up the ignition wiring the only one that was correct was coil 1 to cylinder one so it started but only on the one cylinder so atleast I now have coil 1 firing to cylinder one.

With all of this messing around with the ignition leads I have never touched the injection wiring, I would assume that if I had the CAS 180degs out it would also through the injectors out??? Maybe it was scavenging fuel from the firing injector when the cylinder opened, it would explain why it is heaps rich and not able to maintain a smooth idle, it is hunting every where. I will check that out tonight.

I am not using the mitsubishi ignitors the Ls7 coils have built in ignitors.

Not a lot to update lately but I did finally pick my wheels, went for some Rota Rb's for the old school look and some dish.
    Looks like I will need to put some bigger flares on to cover them and cut some metal out of the back arch. Really happy how they look, I was getting worried that with the big tyres it might end up looking like a tractor, still needs to be lowered more in the arse end.

And the wanky close up
    Last edited by RESON8; 04-10-10 at 11:01 PM.

Looking good! How much bump travel do you have at the rear? I couldn't have mine as low as I wanted without clearance issues.

Looking good! How much bump travel do you have at the rear? I couldn't have mine as low as I wanted without clearance issues.

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    At the moment I would have about 1/2" at the rear before the tyre hits the guard, i still have to chop some metal out of it.

Good choice on the wheels for sure. It will look fantastic when the rear guards are done.

Loving it, very jealous.

Chop out as much as you can legally, Adam rekons about 65mm between tyre and guard and i found that figure to be about right Mallala into the northern, southern and into the esses loads the fuckers up Those wheels are the same as Robs very noice

Plenty of pics here of how hard the IP cars go into the esses

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=605602561

You running at the last state or debuting next year ?
    (Sharperto Racing)

Coming along very nicely. Fucking top build my friend.

Wheels are gravy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RESON8 View Post
    At the moment I would have about 1/2" at the rear before the tyre hits the guard, i still have to chop some metal out of it.
    I had more of an issue with diff to rail clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Chop out as much as you can legally, Adam rekons about 65mm between tyre and guard and i found that figure to be about right Mallala into the northern, southern and into the esses loads the fuckers up Those wheels are the same as Robs very noice

Plenty of pics here of how hard the IP cars go into the esses

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=605602561

You running at the last state or debuting next year ?
    Plan to be debuting next year, still need to spend some cash on building the front struts and brakes up, plus I need to get some practice in before I let loose with other on the track.

updates.... has it hit the dyno yet ?
    (Sharperto Racing)

Still hasn't hit the dyno I think that might have to a job for after Christmas. I have been spending up big on the front end, coilover conversion is nearly complete and I have my brake rotors calipers and pads so this weekend I hope to start making up the caliper adaptor bracket.

I will get some update pictures after this weekend.

What shocks did you use in the front?