Thread: RB26 Cam lift question

RB26 Cam lift question

Regarding cams, what is the low-down on lift? I'm getting the head ported, so i can go as much lift as i like.

i've been told that you should go as much lift as you can. Is that true?

Eastern Creek
    - 1:53.633
    Wakefield Park - 1:10.34
    WSID - 12.3

MMA + BJJ = FTW

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    thanks to Jesus (our LORD and SAVIOUR) that the day of reckoning will soon be at end and these filthy moon worshippers will soon be sent back to the abyss from whence they came. praise be to GOD the almighty

How does a larger lift cam affect that characteristics of an engine (in my case a RB26), assuming all supporting mods are in place?

For example, if I use 260 in/ext cam with 10.5mm lift, what difference is it going to make with a 260 in/ext with a 9.15mm lift cam?

Eastern Creek
    WSID - 12.3

MMA + BJJ = FTW

thanks to Jesus (our LORD and SAVIOUR) that the day of reckoning will soon be at end and these filthy moon worshippers will soon be sent back to the abyss from whence they came. praise be to GOD the almighty

remember the more lift you go the better the springs you need, the more chopping that will be required on the head so the lobes can actually spin around
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

I had to hack a fair bit around the bucket bores to get the 11mm cams to spin in the 1FZ - and they already have a reduced base circle

They are also right on the limit for wipe pattern on the shimless FJ20 buckets. They wouldn't have worked at all on std buckets which have a 2mm smaller diameter shim on top.

Padey - just be careful with this sort of area - don't not do it, just make sure check everything is compatible.
    Last edited by Supercrown; 22-07-08 at 03:16 PM.
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

More lift = good, even more lift = even better.
    Most 4V heads like as much lift as you can give them, particularly if they have been ported.

The things to watch are piston to valve clearance - if most cams have, say, 9.5mm lift but there are cams available with, say 10.5mm lift there is usually a god reason why most manufacturers stick with 9.5mm - usually because they want them to be a drop in fit without removing the head, flycutting pistons etc.
    Many companies offer higher lift cams that require significant work to fit - but are worth it for a built engine.
    Other potential issues are having to relieve the sides of the lifter bores, valve spring coil bind, running too close to the edge of the shim in a shim over setup = spitting shims, fix is solid/shimless buckets.

I dunno much about RB26 engines in particular, so I can't help on the specifics, just the usual things to watch for.

Cheers guys.

I'll most likely get a Jun set with 10.5mm lift and Jun springs to match. The head will need some work to fit the lobes. But I'll get that done the same time the head is geting ported.

Eastern Creek
    WSID - 12.3

MMA + BJJ = FTW