Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77 Galant race car on a shoe string budget

77 Galant race car on a shoe string budget

I was very kindly given the car for a slab of JimBeam cans.

It had spent at least 5 years out in the rain with the windows open.

Not the best starting point but it sure has huge potential!

Sure needs some love.
    Last edited by jimmyg; 08-04-09 at 05:15 PM.

IC goes in.

Inside clean up moving along ok.

Every good car needs a good motor.

Inside starting to look the part.

Inside is all done.

Clean up for the outside and a new set of boots.

Custom inlet manifold being built.

Limited space makes inlet track very short so trumpets are as long as i dared
    inside the plenum. Hope it works ok.

More pics soon.

Last edited by jimmyg; 09-04-09 at 10:08 AM.

nice!
    "And on we raced, hurling watchdogs against doorsteps, curling them under our burning tires like collars under a flat-iron. Death, domesticated, met me at every turn..."
    -- Marinetti

Zoom and Extreme Performance production editor. Check out the new Zoom WEBSITE!

2006 BF XR6 ute [daily]
    1981 XD 4V 351, Toploader, 9in [project]

NEEDS MORE DISCO POTATO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Awesome. What's the intended use? IPRA?

What kind of gearbox is in there?

Awesome indeed. Amazing how well its turned out given its original condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Looking good... moar pix!

Inlets all done.

Lets just hope it flows.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexinPerth View Post
    Awesome. What's the intended use? IPRA?

What kind of gearbox is in there?
    Fun days a sprints for the moment.

Jap 5 speed for the moment. Be nice to change to a supra box (W55?) down the track. Then bolt on a big F-off turbo.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Fun days a sprints for the moment.

Jap 5 speed for the moment. Be nice to change to a supra box (W55?) down the track. Then bolt on a big F-off turbo.

Thanks all.
    With a "roll cage " as shown , that is all you will ever be able to use it for!!The only time the cage can be fixed to the boot [behind the rear axle centre line ] is in a Hatchback .A Sedan body has to have the diagonals attached to the rear wheel arches. As shown ,that would not be very safe at all, especially the main hoop mountings!! Sprints don't need a cage at all but i would prefer something a bit better built than that.I personally would not pass that , even for Speed events.
    BACKSTAYS>>>not diagonals....so sorry!!
    Last edited by Dave75; 18-06-09 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    With a "roll cage " as shown , that is all you will ever be able to use it for!!The only time the cage can be fixed to the boot [behind the rear axle centre line ] is in a Hatchback .A Sedan body has to have the diagonals attached to the rear wheel arches. As shown ,that would not be very safe at all, especially the main hoop mountings!! Sprints don't need a cage at all but i would prefer something a bit better built than that.I personally would not pass that , even for Speed events.
    It will be ok for now , still better than nothing at all.

Later on down the track there all things i can look at changing if money permits. Ive got a wedding in 6 months so $$$ i tight.

Cheers

hey mate the cars looking great.

BTW you have a pm

Almost finished.

Looks like it is starting to come together, what coil plugs are you using? I am looking to do the same to mine as part of doing away with the stock wasted spark setup.
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

If i did it all again i would save my self a load of messing about and use LS1 coils.

No ignitors FTW!

If not then you can get a setup like mine on Ebay in the US for $200 odd.

Edit. Coil link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUSCH...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by jimmyg; 18-06-09 at 10:15 AM.

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Hows the wiring of coils/ignitors for the 3d? Ive got one to go onto my galant with 2.6turbo but i havnt got around to it.

What coils an ignitors you using?
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

get some spares of those 300M coils jimmy, i've been through 2 in 3000kms.

picked up a set of 6 off fleabay for $50US

though i do need to drop the dwell abit on them, probably running a bit much into them and cooking them.

As i said above. The simplicity of LS1 coils cant be beat.

Just wish i knew that before i started.

Have you down loaded the manual from the wolf site?
    Last edited by jimmyg; 18-06-09 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    Please please tear up your scrutineering ticket.. you've proven again that you don't know or understand the rules..

While that cage non- compliant for other reasons, you're wrong again.

A sedan body DOES NOT have to have the diagonal (but I'm assuming you actually mean backstays) attached to the rear wheel arches, and to be honest I'd discourage that in any case and encourage people to go tower to tower (even though most circuit regs(IPRA etc) don't allow it for some stupid reason) Diagonals between the back stay have to attach within 100 mm of the backstay attachement mounts however.

Although the suspension pick up points are usually on the rear arches, it doesn't have to go to the rear arches and if you wanted to have it run through to the boot floor instead - that'd be fine by the regs.

The mounting of the main hoop indeed looks a bit dodgy, but it may well be that it goes through that cross member and is reinforced on the underside..

I shall quote from the badly worded book(Cammanual Shedule J)

Backstays: These are compulsory and must be attached near the roof line and near the top outer bends of the main roll bar on both sides of the car. They must make an angle of at least 30 with the vertical, must run rearwards and be straight and as close as possible to the interior side panels of the bodyshell.
    Their materials specification, diameter and thickness must be as defined in Article 4.
    Their mountings must be reinforced by plates. Each backstay should must be secured by bolts having a cumulative section area at least two thirds of that recommended for each roll bar leg mounting in 3.2.2 above, and with identical reinforcement plates of at least 6000mm2 area (see drawing 253-25).
    A single bolt in double shear is permitted, provided it is of adequate section and strength (see drawing 253-26) and provided that a bush is welded into the backstay.
    For 1st Category cars and Sports cars it may be more appropriate for the longitudinal braces to be forward of the main roll bar rather than rearward. Such configurations may be considered by CAMS upon the application for a specific Safety Cage Certificate.
    As for the rejecting the car at a sprint again quoting from the badly worded book

NON -COMPLYING SAFETY CAGES
    In cases where the type and/or status of the event does not require an automobile to be fitted with any form of safety cage, the use of structures which do not comply with these regulations is permitted unless the scrutineers believe Chief Scrutineer believes the structure to be of unsafe construction.

you'd have a very hard time convincing anyone with common sense( chief scrute, and I'd be going to the stewards if the chief scrute was as retarded as you) that that cage is less safe than that car without that cage.. or that it's constructed unsafely- by which I take the rule to mean- poses a danger to the drive in a shunt.. which it won't.. it's only a 1/2 cage in any case.. nothing should impinge on the drivers space at all.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

For what it is, that cage is fine. It's a leaf spring rear end, so there is not a real lot of gain in suspension stiffnes with the rear legs of a simple cage anyway. In my car (almost identical design) it doesn't have a bottom cross brace at all and it has been logged booked that way and passed scrutineering a few times that way, no problem with it at all.

For an example of an 'unsafe' cage - my mate bought a 240z rally car shell, which he is rebuilding now. the cage appears to have been made from water pipe or something ( was a late 80s early 90s creation) the bar running from the B pillar to the A pillar was joined about 6" forward of the hoop on both sides. a butt weld. that only went around half of the pipe/ if it copped an impact I could see the bar impaling the driver or nav through the side of the helmet. THAT is a textbook unsafe cage.

This datto while not an FIA spec cro-mo whatever, does the job to keep the roof off ones' head. It is better than no cage, and unless the thing is compreshesively rolled up into a ball looks like it will be reasonable.

And fwiw I've seen quite a few cages with the rear stays not attached to the wheelarch. In fact some built by a (former) grade 2 scrute. Who also ensured that competitors without logbooks were aware of the exclusion clause in the manual. He had the philosophy of helping everyone have a run wherever possible.
    '71 Honda Dax CT70
    '74 MR50
    '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
    '85 KX125
    '91 RS125R Honda
    '96 RGV
    '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
    '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
    '01 XR50
    '02 KX250
    '02 VTR1000 SP2
    '05 KLX 110

when was the car first built?

the regs could be different for that cage depending on year.

still good bargain for a slab of cats piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

Quote Originally Posted by F|sh View Post
    when was the car first built?

the regs could be different for that cage depending on year.

still good bargain for a slab of cats piss.
    I'd suspect that it's not logbooked...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Going by the interior photo of the "cage" it does not have ANY bracebars!

Read sched.J 3.2.3 first paragraph!

That cross bar set are classified as DIAGONALS

Bracebars run as close as posible to the interior SIDE PANELS of the bodyshell.
    tower to tower is not shown in the manual & I really don't think it is up to you to discourage otherwise or encourage something which is not within the rules. If you disagree with the way the Manual is worded, put in a submission for changes to Cams Tech Dept.

Circuit Regs [IPRAetc] don't allow "your" way because the only way to get a cage approved/certified is to go by the manual!

Drawing #type 2

#253.3 253.4 253.5 or 259.1 [1/2 cage]

That is the minimum basic requirement, you can add more ..gussets etc

as the other drawings show.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Dave, but he doesn't "need" a cage for the sprints he wants to do, so he should pass scrutineering unless the chief scrutineer thinks it is unsafe.

As I said- no it doesn't comply, but to say that the rear diagonals MUST attach to the wheel arches is completely incorrect.

3.2.3 says nothing about wheel arches or having to be in front ofthe axle line- ego you are wrong...

Suggest you check out Drawing 253-11 for tying cages to front suspension mounts..

My cage( CAMS approved scrutineered many many times up to state level rallies and at supersprints) and many many others go to the rear shock towers, and don't touch the wheel arches at all- cos the manual says NOTHING about that.

I rest my case.

Oh you're wrong with your edit in the other thread too.. it pays to read the WHOLE category definition not just the bit you like..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Dave, but he doesn't "need" a cage for the sprints he wants to do, so he should pass scrutineering unless the chief scrutineer thinks it is unsafe.

FFS I know that !

I was pointing out what was wrong with the cage as it is shown.
    That cage has 3 diagonals & no bracebars!??

I commented on bracebars because I didn't notice any & the fact that R/TOOT thinks his interpretation of the manual is better It may be ,but doesn't match what is shown in the manual & that is what the cage will be judged on...the manual not R/TOOTS version .

As an extra stir , if the driver cannot unclip the fire extinguisher whilst still in his harness the that would have to be changed as well unless he has long arms.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]