Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77 Galant race car on a shoe string budget

If you know that, why hassle the cage design when it meets the requirements?

the requirements don't matter when he doesn't need it.

The bigger problem is you can't interpret the requirements for a cage correctly.

and as for your other stir- the ability to operate the extinguisher from inside the car ONLY applies to Formula 2 and Formula 4000 race cars... go and read Shed. H properly..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

As pictured... 3 diagonals , no brace bars

2009 manual reads minimum 1 diagonal

+ 2 "parallel to side panel " brace bars for a BASIC Half Cage

Read the 2nd & 3rd sentences slowly!

I said nothing about being suitable/unsuitable for 161 laps of Bathurst or wherever.

I'll rest my case too !

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    As pictured... 3 diagonals , no brace bars

2009 manual reads minimum 1 diagonal

+ 2 "parallel to side panel " brace bars for a BASIC Half Cage

Read the 2nd & 3rd sentences slowly!

I said nothing about being suitable/unsuitable for 161 laps of Bathurst or wherever.

I'll rest my case too !
    dave you have forgotten the grandpa cluase

8. IMPLEMENTATION
    Where safety cages have been fitted to cars and where such cars have been issued with a CAMS log book, or where safety cages have been certified, such cages may continue to be used in competition provided they remain in Where a safety cage has been fitted to a vehicle and where that vehicle is issued with a CAMS log book , or where the safety cage has been certified by CAMS, such safety cage may continue to be used in competition provide it remains in conformity with the regulations that were in force at the date of issue of either initial log book for the car, or the certification document.

Competitors are advised that Supplementary Regulations may require more stringent requirements than those identified in articles 1 and 8 of this Schedule. Such requirements shall take precedence over articles 1 and 8 herein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Smith
    The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
    Royalpurple Oils

Is it log booked!
    Last edited by Dave75; 19-06-09 at 12:43 AM.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Must get round to writing to CAMS about how stupid that rule about cages for Sprints is ie if not CAMS approved then its up to scrutineering on the day to yea or nay. As I keep ranting on about, for us grsss roots blokes who Sprint road registered cars we already have engineer approved cages, if any.

Then again practicality and common sense do not rate highly with CAMS
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Why not get a cage that complies to CAMS regs in the first place?

Engine bays all done.

The cage was like it when i got the car. At a later date it can be improved but for the moment its going to be fine.

Where are the skid pics? Dyno sheets? Videos???

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Where are the skid pics? Dyno sheets? Videos???
    Soon. Very soon.

Looking good. Bloke here in NSW used to run an Under 2L Galant in IPRA many years back.... it was some special version that came with a 2L engine (my knowledge of Galants is miniscule) which he got going pretty well, except the engine kept going and was apparently hard to source - if that makes any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Soon. Very soon.
    With a cage like that it wont be allowed on the dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by profi View Post
    With a cage like that it wont be allowed on the dyno.

Update at long last!

The old shit heap made 175Kw atw on 12 psi. Heaps of room power wise once i get the bugs sorted out. Just add boost.

Post up the graph once i get it.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

That is some nice use able power, is it running a stocky tdo5?
    B&N Performance Engineering - 4Bangers & Mash Racing
    1978 LB Lancer IPRA Car - In the making LB Lancer 4G63 IPRA Build - Now up and driving

Quote Originally Posted by RESON8 View Post
    That is some nice use able power, is it running a stocky tdo5?
    Stock TD05h-16g. Got more power left in it but 12 psi will be heaps till i get all the bugs worked out.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

First track run was trouble free by the most part which was good.

Tuner forgot to do up the bolts after fitting a tuning bung in the dump pipe so the exhaust came loose. The brake pads all but melted as expected (stock brakes). Tires where so so but apart from that it really well.

Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Next thing is the brakes which ive started.

New vs old

Adapter mocked up to be re produced in metal.

As it will look once done.

Last edited by jimmyg; 02-08-11 at 05:00 PM.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Cars a bit of an old shitter so not sure if anyone cares much but update time just in case. LOL

Was back at winton on the 21st of Jan and i had a ball!!! Very hot day is the first thing that comes to mind! Managed to get into the mid to high 1:40"s on the long track though. YAY!!! That's almost 10 seconds with just a tire and brake change.

Tires are second hand 205/50/15 AO48 yoky's i got for $100 and the brakes are magna discs and subaru 2 spot calipers. Nothing fancy.

The heat ment cooling was an on going stress all day as was an odd drop in boost and power. Once i got home and things cooled down i found the reason. Exhaust leak due to a missing wastegate bolt. Doh!!

No more over heating for me!!!!!

So the job list is......
    Fit my new W55 gearbox and bell housing (thanks to Bill Hincher in the US for an awsome price on the BH).
    Bolt in my new radiator.
    Fix the wastegate
    Crank the boost up to 18psi and a re-tune. :thumpsup:

Busy busy.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

is this finished yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

got some more tyres when you want them...
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by morerevsm3 View Post
    got some more tyres when you want them...
    Thats good to know thanks. The last set are almost dead.

good on ya mate! I had a LA Lancer with the same donk. ran the Jap small spline 5 speed too. Raced IP in it with reasonable results for a car that I could build for about 7K.

I widened the track using the 75mm relocation of the front lower control arms and a celicas diff (heaps more ratios) although 4.1 was the best for the restricted set up.

my problem was quick shifting, every time I shifted fast into 5ht it snapped the lay shaft in half, so I had to be real gentle for every gear change. foot all the way off the accelerator change gear then start accelerate again.

before it got burnt I had sold it to get into a evo but it would have been a front running car with some suspension and braking tweaks.
    supra 5 speed or celica 5 speed was the gearbox choice I ws going to go with but I couldn't sort out the bell housing issue

good luck with it!

Thanks for the info. Im slowly building it up as funds and time allow. Heaps of fun.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

updates?

let it get to page 5 james.. for shame!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

What's done to this thing suspension wise?

Quote Originally Posted by MRGREATWALLMAN View Post
    updates?

let it get to page 5 james.. for shame!!
    Not much going on with this ATM. With all my other projects and a new kid its been a bit busy. I will do an update with what I have been up to anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by smithbro View Post
    What's done to this thing suspension wise?
    Short answer. Not much.

Front. Cut stock coils. Heavy duty shocks. Larger sway bar and relocated strut tops for more camber. I have a set of adjustable strut tops for the front ive yet to fit.

Rear. Heavy shocks. Reformed leaf springs. Rear sway bar. Anti tramp trailing arm and a panhard rod.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Cool. I've never seen this thread. Good to know there are projects going slower than mine :P

Update.........If you could call it that. With 4 other cars, a gokart, wife, house and a 5 week old bub the poor GC has sat gathering dust for a bit. A lot of dust!

I have slowly been collecting parts to finish it but its slow going. As always the Subaru ate time and money like it grew on trees. Farkin Subaru! lol

Fit the w57 gearbox with my new light weight flywheel and clutch. Work out the best way to change to a hydraulic set up. Im thinking of adapting the above egay kit? Make custom GB cross member and get a tail shaft built. Im going to go e85 because it makes puss into godlike so 1000cc injectors, a larger bosch pump and a fuel cell to replace the rusted stock tank was a must. Again egay FTW! My new HUGE radiator is in the last stages of being fitted so cooling will no longer be a stress. See below.

From there im going for a retune and 20psi and see how much power I can make. Anything over 200kwatw in a 900kg RWD car is going to fun so im not that stressed.

Dream list would be to fit a 6 point cage, multi link rear end and put a 250kw+ turbo on it. Again I have a feeling 200kw will be nuts but hey a guy can dream.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Pollitically incorrect
    Nice work dude.

I really ought to pull my finger out and get going on my project.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now