Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77 Galant race car on a shoe string budget

Do yourself a favour and make a proper shroud for that thermo fan before you hit the track. Running it like that really doesn't flow much, and it looks like an average thermo too. I'm speaking from experience, they literally suck when run like that

Also you are doing well for having 5 cars and that many commitments. I struggle with 2 toy cars and a daily :P

Quote Originally Posted by smithbro View Post
    Do yourself a favour and make a proper shroud for that thermo fan before you hit the track. Running it like that really doesn't flow much, and it looks like an average thermo too. I'm speaking from experience, they literally suck when run like that
    It shouldnt matter. Will only be running the thermo a little bit in the pits/paddock. Will be turned off when racing, and the lack of shroud should lessen the restriction a tad.

Have been running with no shroud and 'average' thermo on my corolla with a radiator half the size, with no ill effect.

Quote Originally Posted by MRGREATWALLMAN View Post
    It shouldnt matter. Will only be running the thermo a little bit in the pits/paddock. Will be turned off when racing, and the lack of shroud should lessen the restriction a tad.

Have been running with no shroud and 'average' thermo on my corolla with a radiator half the size, with no ill effect.
    What if you overheat on the track and need it to cool down? After a sprint session, my car needs to sit and cool for a good 5 minutes before it's back to normal water temp.

Its a davies craig thermo fan and the radiator is huge! That bottom bit hangs down below the radiator support panel and catches the clear air it would not get with the IC up top.

Last edited by jimmyg; 08-01-14 at 07:41 AM.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

What if you overheat on the track and need it to cool down? After a sprint session, my car needs to sit and cool for a good 5 minutes before it's back to normal water temp.
    well first you keep an eye on temps so it doesnt overheat. and if you cant keep it cool without the fan, then somethings wrong/cooling system is inadequate. at speed a fan will only slow the airflow through the radiator.

and when james parks it after a race, he can just leave the fan going for a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Pollitically incorrect
    or tip a bucket of water over the radiator, or point a hose at it for a minute or two.

This kept an over heating forklift going for over a year.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

The guy who built the radiator said its large enough to keep a big block cool so my 2l should be fine. Once you see a pic of it fitted and see how huge it is you will understand. It hangs so low under the car im thinking of fitting a bash plate so I dont hole it on a ripple strip.

so take some photos then.. the last photo you put here it didnt even have a motor in it!!

i also heard it had hot custom graphics all over it
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

You mean all the penis drawings you did in the dust? lol

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    You mean all the penis drawings you did in the dust? lol

Pic of the radiator with the car for size ref. I think it will be big enough.

My bell housing that will mate the Toyota box to the 4g motor. Thanks Bill Hitcher.

Mmmmmmmmm beer.

You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

As you can see its a group effort. MrMopar/Greatwallman is always there to help out with his artistic flair.

Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    How many dollars for the bellhousing, are 4g63's narrow? Might pick one up and look for a w58...

My old GC Galant is under a tarp at my folks... turning it into a proper race car could be fun but the old sigma 5speed was always a weak link behind a turbo astron.
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

It cost about $500 to my door. May have been cheaper. Was a few years back. He does them in both wide and norrow block aswell as the later 7bolt evo layout. You can opt for fwd/awd flywheel or rwd size He does w5x, tko and ford t5 boxs.

Hey Jimmy, Let's get a six pack each, and spend a good day or three working on it?! I'd love to help get it up and running, then we'll go to winton with both our cars,Manx have a play. I just need to fix my brakes.

Cheers, Paul.

Sounds good Paul. About time you joined PF.

I have been busy on the car I just have not pulled my finger out and posted an update like always. I will take some pics tonight.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Made it to the dyno at long last. Now running pump e85 for safety. Was smooth sailing other than the dump pipe restricting flow so that was a nice change.

Tuner was Rob at Sabbadin automotive who did an amazing job. My cheap ass cars can be PITA to work on so im glad he didn't kill it with fire in a fit of rage. LOL

Next stop winton fun day for a test run and then I can step it up to sprints etc.
    Last edited by jimmyg; 02-07-14 at 04:51 PM.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

cant wait to see what power it will make when you turbocharge it

I heard a rumor that this blew up and took out benalla with it on the weekend. Please confirm or deny..

LOL

No for once all went really well. No problems getting to the track (Winton) etc and the car went great at the track. Weather was cool but sunny and the track was clean and dry.

All in all a great day. I will post up some pics from the day in due time.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Few Pics and a couple of video's for you to enjoy.

Short clip of an rx7 coming of second best.

Lap taken from the front bumper.
    Last edited by jimmyg; 15-07-14 at 12:53 PM.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Pollitically incorrect
    nice one dude.

well done.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Cheers Paul.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Not all cars are the same. Once you run a decent amount of boost through a motor/turbo, especially if the turbo is water cooled, you will notice that constant hot laps will make the water temp rise quickly. Regardless of cooling setup it is still going to rise after several hot laps.

RE your other reply. I never let my engine overheat, it actually runs mostly super cool, but when I see that the temps are starting to rise I will pull into the pits and let it come back to a temp that I'm happy with.

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    What car club runs the sprints? I'm starting a new job in Bendigo so need to get out to Winton ASAP
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

Winton do a 'Test n Tune' pretty much every Friday that's open to anybody with an AASA or CAMS license. The days are untimed and there are no passenger laps allowed but you get tonnes and tonnes of track time over the day. Usually the sessions are broken up into bikes, open wheelers and tin tops so you get a bit of breathing space between runs to make adjustments/chill out etc before heading back out again.

The Galant looks great! I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I'm up there for another Friday session in the future, I'll wander up to say 'Hey'.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_2ltGC View Post
    What car club runs the sprints? I'm starting a new job in Bendigo so need to get out to Winton ASAP
    Welcome to Bendigo. Your best bet is a Tampered Motorsport Track Day or a test and tune day as ENGINR said. Next time im heading over I will send you a PM.

Also see ----> http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/calendar

PS Shoot me a PM when you get to town and we can catch up for a beer/chat if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by ENGINR View Post
    Winton do a 'Test n Tune' pretty much every Friday that's open to anybody with an AASA or CAMS license. The days are untimed and there are no passenger laps allowed but you get tonnes and tonnes of track time over the day. Usually the sessions are broken up into bikes, open wheelers and tin tops so you get a bit of breathing space between runs to make adjustments/chill out etc before heading back out again.

The Galant looks great! I'll have to keep an eye out for it when I'm up there for another Friday session in the future, I'll wander up to say 'Hey'.
    Sweet! Its not fast but it sticks out like a sore thumb. If its there you will see me. LOL
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Not all cars are the same. Once you run a decent amount of boost through a motor/turbo, especially if the turbo is water cooled, you will notice that constant hot laps will make the water temp rise quickly. Regardless of cooling setup it is still going to rise after several hot laps.

RE your other reply. I never let my engine overheat, it actually runs mostly super cool, but when I see that the temps are starting to rise I will pull into the pits and let it come back to a temp that I'm happy with.
    i was still right. the temps have been fine on it.

So i hear this thing caught butt aids and dird whimpering in its cum filled arsehole.

So whats up gay chunt