Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

So, as you guys I guess know i hit a rock with this thing a few weeks (months?) back and it burst into flame... Decided to get off my arse and fix it... and by fix it I mean pull it apart, sort the rust and tidy a few things up. Need to keep busy while i'm unemployed...

So, when I bought it nearly 18 months ago it looked like this:
    Painted bumpers, black stoneguard shit below the bumpers, painted wheels... (pic was taken after stripping the wheels) stock as a rock alfetta 1800 engine.

First thing I did was rebuild the booster, and replace the front Dunlop brakes with later 2l ATE brakes (couldn't get discs for the dunlops this side of $600). I also installed adjustable upper arms and basically ensured there was no rubber in the front suspension. Also swapped the home made CDI for a MSD I had lying around while chasing a weird ignition issue.

Next was strip the paint off the bumpers and rattlecan the bottom white again.

Ran it like this for some time till it did a head gasket late last year. Figured - while the heads off I might as well do it properly. Heavily ported, raised intake manifold, bored out the carb chokes, big valves & uprated springs, big cams, skimmed the head. Went a little to far and had to retard the intake cam a couple of degrees to stop the intake valves clouting the piston.
    Next step was a bit of messing with rideheights, and then just drove it hard until i hit the rock, as told below:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    So, at about 1:30 this arvo I jumped into the car to go grab some lunch and pop into pro honda to grab some more indicators for the Katana. Pulled up behind a Hilux at the lights outside work (Boundary/Keliher roads for those who know richlands), light goes green, take off following the hilux at a reasonable distance, sudenly slap bang infront of me is an enourmous motherfucking rock. this rock has been "living" on this bit of road for about two months - some cunt keeps putting it back in the middle of the road, and the cunts in the Hilux just drove straight over the top, no moving over to avoid it. So, heads feeling a little doughy because I've got a cold, and I've got no decision room by the time this large grey object in the road registers as a rock...
    Bam. Centre popped it in with the Alfa's cast alloy sump - car got airborn (at 60kmh!), i switched off and clutched in once i was pointing straight and pulled up just as the trail of oil started. I get out and notice the bonnet is sitting funny.
    Assessed the damage:
    Right hand engine mount fucked - the bottom steel plate had pulled up between the two bolts and was now sitting on top of them
    Engine fan grenaded - had hit the upper radiator hose neck.
    Bonnet had a small ding from the air filter box, and the right hand side hinge was tweaked, and one of the underbonnet braces had a ding from the cam cover breather - and snapped one of the small tubes off the breather.
    Sump - two big fucking dings and a bunch of smashed fins, leaking oil at a slow drip rate.
    Potentially dented crossmember, couldn't quite see.
    So I called RACQ - and sat and waited. 200m from my office.
    Got bored after about an hour - turned the ignition on to listen to the stereo... after about 15 minutes there's suddenly a sheet of flame erupting out from under the bonnet! fuck!
    Open the bonnet to protect the paint and see how bad the flames are (Yeah, I know it's generally a bad idea!)...
    No extinguisher in the car.
    Dive round to passenger's side and open door, dive in to grab my stuff and smash my head against the corner window frame. God-dammit, I'm bleeding.

Dude in a Merc ML stops - no extinguisher.
    Two dudes in Hilux/Navara/Triton things stop - one guy looks in his tray, but has no extinguisher. The second guy produces one of those little extinguishers, still attached to it's bracket - points, pulls trigger, nothing. I grab it off him, point, pull trigger, look at guage. Empty. FUCK.
    Dude comes running out of the forklift joint with a big CO2 jobby, I grab it off him, run over to the car, point, pull pin, pull trigger, nothing. It's empty too. What the fuck people!
    At this point i'm resigning it to being an omen and the car is destined to burn to the ground... but the fire is getting smaller... I grab the burning king lead and pull it out, fusing half the plug boot to my hand, but taking half the remaining fire volume with me... and then this dude does the obvious thing and grabs a handfull of sand out of the gutter and throws it on the fire (Coil top, wiring and the fuel pressure reg are still on fire). Problem solved. 10 minutes later the fireies rock up...

"This doesn't look good"
    "yeah mate, I'm having a shit of a day"

In the meantime, I figure out what happened... The engine being diven up a good 4" pulled the nipple out of the fuel pressure red, spraying fuel around. The fan disintegrating clipped some of the wiring that runs to the MSD6AL, which has power when the ignition was on. Damaged wiring, power, fuel, car moving everytime a truck flies past = Flames.

Rang RACQ to find out where my fucking tow truck was, having turned down an offer from Karnage to come down from Cabouture to tow it home, "Oh, the tow trucks are running at a 3 hour delay"
    "Thanks, would have been nice to know that 2 1/2 hours ago"

Finally 3 1/2 hours after it started, the towie arrives. Load up, drive home in peak hour traffic, then get told "mate, I can't back it down your drive in the dark and rain, it won't fit and it's peak hour"
    "Mate, I've had flatbeds in and out 4 or 5 times, you'll be right"

Eventually after a 15 minute fucked up attempt at a blocky, the towie figures out if he sits and waits on the left till the lights change, he'll get a clear run into my drive. GAH.
    So, it's home now, manhandled it up under the house, disconnected battery after realising the big fat MSD main power wire still gets power with ignition off and runs through the middle of the burnt wiring...

Pics:
    The Rock (didn't have a coke can handy, phone was taking photo):

My Scalp:

Smokey outside:

Under bonnet:

Still have a Cold.
    Still haven't had Lunch
    Didn't pick up indicators neither.
    Likely not going on Cruise now...
    So now it sits up on jackstands, the guard rust repair panels are on their way (Aussie dollar for the win!), Gearbox and driveshaft come out this arvo, engine out saturday... and the stripdown begins.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Oh, and a decent pic before the flames...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Gearbox and driveshaft out. Gearbox will get pulled apart, fresh seals, 2 new synchros while everything is apart.
    Engine comes out Saturday.

Gonna need more than 2 cans of degreaser...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

That's not degreaser in the pic - spray adhesive for re-trimming the dash.

Curiously, alot of the discolouration on the box looks like smoke from the fire...

You're gonna rebuild an alfa.

Brave man.

Nice car tho, gotta be a prick to own.

use oven cleaner on it to make cleaning it easier
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    You're gonna rebuild an alfa.

Brave man.

Nice car tho, gotta be a prick to own.
    Nah, the 60's ones are alot easier to own than the mid 70s and 80s ones - The engines are a piece of piss, the gearboxes and diffs are pretty good, this one is comparatively short on rust...
    Parts are easier than alot of people think - 99% of mechanical shit I can get here or from South Oz, everything else is 5days post from the UK.

Tripper - already knew the oven cleaner trick.

I'm going to sort the rust and probably do a backyard paintjob on it rather than drive around with bits in primer, was contemplating going red, but after looking at it in the flesh again today I'll stay white.

I'm going to pull the engine down for a re-ring and bearings, and clearance the pistons so I can finally run the correct cam timing... not worth a full rebuild with fresh liners/pistons.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 02-07-09 at 06:37 PM.

nash
    Good luck with it. It's a cool little car.

I do like this car!
    Shame about the rock and fire but it'll be great once it's back on the road.

IMO stick with white, it looks great.

White is piss easy to match up later too. Get a common colour white, and not the weird-ass unique Alfa whites floating about..... my GT is painted a navy blue from an MX5!

Want to get a really crisp white (if I stay white) - guess i'll talk to a few paint guys.
    The "Hawthorne White" it came from factory is a slightly off white from what I can gather...

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Love these cars, looking forward to progress pics!

The older whites are a weird off white..... Dad's Alfetta is a weird sort of white. We painted the original racecar in Bianco Spino which was the white used on the Alfa 75 series. For a racecar though you really don't give a fuck as it's going to get stonechipped to hell. For the roadie, maybe go with a current spec Alfa white?

later
    I'm amazed the sump didn't simply shatter.
    Lovely little cars, hope the thing is kind to you on the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Nafe View Post
    The older whites are a weird off white..... Dad's Alfetta is a weird sort of white. We painted the original racecar in Bianco Spino which was the white used on the Alfa 75 series. For a racecar though you really don't give a fuck as it's going to get stonechipped to hell. For the roadie, maybe go with a current spec Alfa white?
    I'm not sure i've seen a current alfa white - I know the 156 white was a little off - almost like a 60's Ford Wimbledon White.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboost View Post
    I'm amazed the sump didn't simply shatter.
    Lovely little cars, hope the thing is kind to you on the rebuild.
    Yeah, I'd heard stories of sumps shattering on the old Alfa Digest mainling list, which is why I shut it down immediately. I suspect if it was a sheet steel sump it would have been worse in this case.
    While I was crawling around underneath it yesterday I found a few more impacts from the rock... really made a bit of a fucking mess.

I've often thought about turning this thing into a GTA look-alike, but you rarely see these early GT Veloces around. Oneday I'll do a stinking hot GTA or GTAm rep - but i'll start with something thats a little less complete/original.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Keep it in the current spec and white. Its possible that it might be worth more down the track than another GTA clone (not that that looks bad!).
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I'm not sure i've seen a current alfa white - I know the 156 white was a little off - almost like a 60's Ford Wimbledon White
    The Mito's (which have just landed) are available in a white. Not sure what shade as I haven't seen it.

Good luck with the rebuild mate - one of these is still my dream car. If only I had the money/space/skill/patience/etc.

Last edited by Cal; 03-07-09 at 12:11 PM.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Get orf the alloy panels bitch.

I reckon keep it as a stock stepfront...but at least get the GTa alloys
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by youngy125 View Post
    I do like this car!
    Shame about the rock and fire but it'll be great once it's back on the road.

IMO stick with white, it looks great.
    I feel all dirty because your avatar excites me Youngy.

Good luck with the rebuild Gamma.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

^^lol Strangely enough the feeling is mutual. Being somewhat of N/A Euro (Fiat specifically) 'purist', I feel dirty in liking you avatar ... and following your thread with interest.
    Perhaps it's 60s/70s a sedan thing?

Gammaboy – my votes with Babalouie, keep it as is but maybe go with the wheels. It is a seriously interesting car. As opposed to a Silvia re. other thread.

For JZK25 ... and 'cause I love the pic

or as copied from the brochure

No nice comments from me until this thing has some decent non Performance brand wheels on it
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

later
    Nothing wrong with perfomance wheels if you need something fairly round and common. And if the car weighs more then the wheels!

Unless you want to buy me a set of Cromadora Daytonas or 14x7 GTA replicas then STFU about the wheels.
    Engine is out, Car is sat under the house in a good position to work on it out of the weather.

What's the stud pattern on these things?
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

4x108 - same as escort/cortina - different offset though - needs to be at least 22mm positive offset - 29 would work better on the rear.

I've got a set of Daytonas sitting in the garage sans tyres..... unfortunately for you they are 4x98 pcd

Fail
    I figure the challengers are as close to the look of a Daytona or ATS as I'm going to get without actually having them, besides, my budget doesn't extend to spending money on wheels.