Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

They also don't fit over my GTV6 brakes (even with the calipers slightly shaved...... epic fail.
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography | CAMS Gold Level Photographer
    Official Photographer 2018 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Adelaide 500

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Engine is out, Car is sat under the house in a good position to procrastinate on it out of the weather.
    Are we putting this on a rotti Bish?
    2010 State Colouring in Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
    Are we putting this on a rotti Bish?
    Negative. Its a rust fix and paint, not a full bare metal resto. I've got enough unfinished projects. Besides, your rotisserie is full of XY Ute.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Oh yeah - this one is why I was thinking red, and why I like Cromodora Daytonas:

Preparing to hoick it out

Up up and away - hooray for factory lifting points!

Empty...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

This might make you throw up in your mouth but interesting just the same.

From here. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...fa-purist.html

If it doesn't disgust you, may I interest you in a Beams 3SGE and 6MT.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    This might make you throw up in your mouth but interesting just the same.

From here. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/engi...fa-purist.html

If it doesn't disgust you, may I interest you in a Beams 3SGE and 6MT.
    Yeah, seen it, hate it. half assed conversion.

Found this pic while I was trying to find a thread on a resto a guy was doing on alfabb...

After pulling the grille etc out of the car and getting a chance to inspect the front of the radiator support cross member i'm trying to weigh up the hassle of fabbing patches for the apron and basically the entire front of the radiator support and spending $600 on a new crossmember and a patch panel that does the full width of the front apron about 8" high.
    The more I dive into this thing, the more I'm realising this was a good time to do it - the rust is just starting to hit that point where it's becoming a problem, but easily fixed...
    Had a better look at the wiring too - the main loom bundle is fine under the electrical tape - dodged a bullet there.

Stripped - pic:
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 05-07-09 at 01:52 PM. Reason: forgot teh rest of the pics.

You could do better with a nice Beams 3SGE and 6MT.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

You could do better with a nice Beams 3SGE and 6MT.
    A stinking hot 2l twinspark and the original gearbox would make as much hp and be a stack lighter - on carbs too.
    Apart from a re-ring, fitting a crank scraper and clearancing the pistons the engine stays as is.

Example of twinspark enginebay:
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 05-07-09 at 02:03 PM.

I like the idea of a twinspark on DCOEs. After all the original GTas were twinspark.

BTW (sorry to hijack thread slightly) what's the hotness in terms of rust prevention? Some sort of spray wax?
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    I like the idea of a twinspark on DCOEs. After all the original GTas were twinspark.

BTW (sorry to hijack thread slightly) what's the hotness in terms of rust prevention? Some sort of spray wax?
    I don't really know - fish oil seems to be the oldskool technique, and some of the cavity wax systems are pretty popular in the UK.

A bit of exploratory work with a strip-it disc on the grinder reveals dents and bog in and a decent old rust hole in the bottom of the apron - $260 patch panel it is then
    I can do the crossmember repairs easily enough.

I figure for a 43 year old italian car this isn't so bad - the floors are solid, the sills and guard bottoms are coming off anyway - just a little rust around the drivers side rear 1/4 window to tidy up - no biggy.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 08-07-09 at 02:59 PM.

A stinking hot 2l twinspark and the original gearbox would make as much hp and be a stack lighter - on carbs too.
    Apart from a re-ring, fitting a crank scraper and clearancing the pistons the engine stays as is.

Example of twinspark enginebay:
    Yeah I know, I was just fishing.
    I would keep it original and add modern touches to make it run nice like EFI. I spent too much time fucking around with the twin IDF's on my 124BC when I was 20 and that shit annoys me these days. EFI ftw. Gut the webers/dellorto's so they are just throttle plates and drill some injector mounts into the manifold on the underside so you can pretend it is still running leaky stinky cranky carbs.

Edit - The engine in question almost looks like they have done this. It has a TPS and 60-2 crank sensor so must be running at least timing control.
    Last edited by JZK25; 05-07-09 at 03:29 PM.

Yeah I know, I was just fishing.
    I would keep it original and add modern touches to make it run nice like EFI. I spent too much time fucking around with the twin IDF's on my 124BC when I was 20 and that shit annoys me these days. EFI ftw. Gut the webers/dellorto's so they are just throttle plates and drill some injector mounts into the manifold on the underside so you can pretend it is still running leaky stinky cranky carbs.

Edit - The engine in question almost looks like they have done this. It has a TPS and 60-2 crank sensor so must be running at least timing control.
    Well spotted - it runs a 3d ignition map firing 2 EDIS units mounted inside the cabin.

I quite like carbs - not in any great hurry to throw it on injection (Wiring. Fucking wiring). I rarely had to touch the webers in the 18 months I've daily driven the thing - same with the Dellortos on my old Alfetta GTV - I've never understood the crap about "Webers go out of tune in an instant"

later
    They go out of tune because every idiot belives the story and try to "tune" them. Or they're not even tuned right to begin with, most likely. I used to hear the same BS about the CD Strombergs I had on my Triumph. Despite being worn out once I set them up right never had an issue with them, apart from vapour lock from hell due to missing heatsheild. I was a pretty proud 17year old when I sorted them out let me tell you.

Being the Alfa aficionado that I am, I reckon stuff the flares and all that crap, keep it original, just neaten and detail as best you can so as it somehow resembles this....but in white

1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

i saw a race prepped yellow one with twin blue stripes and minilites on it 10 minutes ago on a trailer.

do fucking want - hot as.
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

Well spotted - it runs a 3d ignition map firing 2 EDIS units mounted inside the cabin.

I quite like carbs - not in any great hurry to throw it on injection (Wiring. Fucking wiring). I rarely had to touch the webers in the 18 months I've daily driven the thing - same with the Dellortos on my old Alfetta GTV - I've never understood the crap about "Webers go out of tune in an instant"
    Tune it right the first time and she's fine. Racecar has never been touched since it was jetted up over 10 years ago. Ditto my roadcar (whcih is now little more than a pile of painted rust )
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography | CAMS Gold Level Photographer
    Official Photographer 2018 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Adelaide 500

Quote Originally Posted by sr20trx View Post
    Being the Alfa aficionado that I am, I reckon stuff the flares and all that crap, keep it original, just neaten and detail as best you can so as it somehow resembles this....but in white

Agreed. It's a classic shape Alfa, it doesn't need flares and neons to make it look better. It looks farking hot sitting still, even when it's on fire near an intersection.
    Leave as is, tidy up,(fit efi), win.

Don't make me link the 302 V8 105. Even I threw up in my mouth over that.

A white version of this is pretty much where it'll end up (little less ride height though).

The wheels on that green one (and the colour!) are pretty ordinary.

If it was me, I'd be at least contemplating (and probably doing) the GTA aux radiator holes and a stainless mesh grill in it while you are doing the front end work.

Put the holes in the 'right' place, and you can still fit your front bumper for that originale look, but again, if it were me, the front bumper would be screwed to the shed wall (I only have bumpers on either end of mine due to group Nc rules).

The globe wheels are a good look on the GTV - even if the offset is a bit light on - but hard to do much better than that. Would look good in a satiny grey/silver colour (like they have a permanent coat of brake dust).

I have no trouble with the carbs on my car. I love 'em
    as above the trick is having them set up properly.

IMO keep the bumpers, chrome bumper are cool. That red one is NICE but it'd look better in white.

Quote Originally Posted by GTV View Post
    If it was me, I'd be at least contemplating (and probably doing) the GTA aux radiator holes and a stainless mesh grill in it while you are doing the front end work.

Put the holes in the 'right' place, and you can still fit your front bumper for that originale look, but again, if it were me, the front bumper would be screwed to the shed wall (I only have bumpers on either end of mine due to group Nc rules).

The globe wheels are a good look on the GTV - even if the offset is a bit light on - but hard to do much better than that. Would look good in a satiny grey/silver colour (like they have a permanent coat of brake dust).
    I've thought about the GTA style auxiliary cooling holes, but they never quite sit right with the GT grille. I'm going to make up some GTA style radiator shrouds - that should give me enough cooling improvement...

yep - ducting the front of the rad will make a huge difference

When you are finished can you come over and help he demolish my garage, because my new acquisition has not dulled my need for a 105 in any way.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Lol. at this rate I'm going to have to sell everything I own before I finish the fucker - wanna buy it? :P

Fuck. So my rust panels rocked up today, so I marked where the upper edge of them is on the car, and started some exploratory stabbing with a screwdriver, followed by grinding...

Looks like some of the repairs may take a little more work than anticipated... the base of the A pillar (it runs all the way down to the sill), right above the jacking point, is a bit sad.
    Signs of cruddy repairs in there too - cut rusted bit out, plate over - not even but joint, bash it below where it should sit, bog over. cunts.

you're a brave man, if you keep digging you'll find more no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by peal View Post
    you're a brave man, if you keep digging you'll have no car left...just a pile of dust on the floor.
    Fixed ?
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

Ouch But does it just mean that you just have one extra layer to cut out before you plate over properly?

By the way, I ordered a few cans of this stuff, plan to go quite crazy with it:
    http://www.wurth.com.au/cataloguevie...f=A03_0015.pdf
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Ouch But does it just mean that you just have one extra layer to cut out before you plate over properly?

By the way, I ordered a few cans of this stuff, plan to go quite crazy with it:
    http://www.wurth.com.au/cataloguevie...f=A03_0015.pdf
    Looks good dude.