Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    I figure it's probably hard enough to keep one in good nick and one piece as a street car let alone thrashing it in the dirt. I've not looked in to it but I imagine it has some supporting chassis mods to keep it one piece.
    Nope. Even has the stock rear control arms, which is why the back tyre is almost eating the corners of the rear arches. Not even a sump guard. At least it was a shitbox to start with.
    I've just seen a vid on Hoonigan of it being jumped (smashing the sump, and driing it into a fence). Retards going to retard. And judging from the way the filler spouts came off the jerry cans on the roof, it's never, ever been "offroad" (All the photos of it "offroad" are places I could get in the wagon).

https://www.facebook.com/TheHoonigan...4511147903243/
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 15-02-18 at 11:32 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

full vid:
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yeh ok, that's all the stupid.....fucking hipster youtube wannabe cunts.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Some minor progress last night. Input shaft rocked up, robbed the shift forks from the spares box - there was about .4mm wear on one fork, the spares box had zero wear on the forks (immaculate synchro rings too, but all the dog rings were fucked - a really weird mix), installed the bearing and synchro assembly on the input, slotted it all into the box and measured to check the shim stack - spec is 42.0-42.2mm across the back of the 3rd and 4th dogs, measured at 42.1/42.15. Might swap a shim in the stack to tighten it up by .05.
    Need to rattle the yoke off the back of the main shaft and install the 5th/reverse selector ring, 5th gear assembly and rear bearing (used an old one as a spacer), can then button up the cases.
    End of play last night:
    Attachment 104729
    So since the above post, the other half of the gearcase has been on and off twice now, and is hopefully on for the last time! (first time, recenter the shift forks - forgot to put the detents in to lock them up properly, second time I discovered that I'd dropped an interlock tic-tac when I had the cases apart, didn't waste time looking for it and just robbed one from the spares box).
    Flywheel cover, clutch cable holder and exhaust hanger all got a tidy up and fresh coat of paint last night, bellhousing and tailhousing should go on tonight.

Gearbox is buttoned up and ready to go back in (tonight's job).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180222_202548.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	104855

Gearbox is in, looks like the rear crossmember needs some hydraulic press love next time it's out, it's been flattened a little and the holes are further apart than the captive nuts in the shell now, just enough to make it hard to get the bolts in. Also stuffed my left shoulder because the car isn't high enough to let me get under the box to lift it.

Last night was filling the box, buttoning up the starter, discovering a broken dizzy cap, discovering that the new, allegedly copy of a NOS clutch cable, not only had a clevis end that was for a 6mm pin (drilled to 8mm easily enough) but had a slightly taller clevis that means I need to make up a new, taller clevis pin. After the weekend I'd had, I couldn't be fucked firing up the lathe, so I filled the box, reassembled the interior, discovered that the new shift knob doesn't fit that well and refitted the old one with the manky grommet, and went to bed.
    Jobs for tonight: Find and fit the front exhaust clamp that doubles as a hanger (where the fuck did I put it?), make a new clevis pin, re-seat one of the rear springs that I noticed is not sitting quite right and bang the nopics.
    Then reconnect the battery, give it a wash because it's friggen filthy, and enjoy.

Depending on what else you find, that might be a super angry bang!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Lol. I'm too tired for that!

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    Depending on what else you find, that might be a super angry bang!
    UpDates?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

He was tired from cars so ended up thumbing in a softy.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Yeah, only got one of those things done, then had to travel for work. Sorted the missus last night when I got back though.

Threw a high tensile M10 bolt into the lathe, turned it into a custom length clevis pin, then heated it red hot and dumped it into some oil to flame harden it. That'll get fitted tonight, the spring re-seated on the way off the jack stands, and job done.

Old vs New:

Name:	IMG_20180301_201813.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	104963

Car is back on the ground - you kinda forget how low it is when it's been up on stands for 2 months. Would have been much less if I hadn't had family holidays, fixing the daily driver and assorted other shit chewing up weekends.

Good work on the cleavis pin?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Finished it up with a wash and a test drive on Saturday morning. It works, seems to work pretty well too. Had forgotten how loud the loud pedal is with the open carb trumpets.

This is one car I'd love to see a video of getting driven in anger.

Probably best filmed from another car - I've stuffed around a couple of times with camera placement and for the video to be any good i have to have the windows up to kill wind noise, and I flat out hate driving it with the windows up. Otherwise the camera needs to sit on the windscreen and that's boring as shit.

get a lapel microphone with one of those fuzzy covers and tuck it into the centre console or something? im actually planning on doing exactly that with the adub as the gopro mount transfers too much engine vibration into the camera

The camera I've got doesn't have an external mic jack or anything. I tried using the waterproof case for it to muffle the wind noise, but the frigging thing fogged up.
    Just had a thought, about 15 years ago I used some pelican case pick and pluck foam for a mic baffle on the outside of a helicopter, might try taping some over the camera mic location next time... just happen to have a chunk of pick and pluck infront of me.

I've done this on my bike before to good effect as the older Go Pro's were fucking shocking for wind noise.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

So, I realised during the week that I'd accidentally filled the box with Redline 75W90 instead of 75W90NS - the friction modifier that counters LSD chatter does unkind things to the Porsche type synchros - luckily I've only done maybe 8-900km in it, so after going to Cars and Coffee, I dropped the gearbox oil. Because of the filler location, it's actually easier to lift the carpet, strip the gearbox boots and shift lever and fill through the shift tower - even if it probably adds 15 minutes of R&R to the job. I probably should have done a diesel flush on it, but it seems to be coming good.

Drove home from C&C with some guy in a red beetle - he took some pics on the way. Really highlights how small these cars are in modern traffic.

Name:	30743049_10155213880656577_8078978589246095360_n.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	227.9 KB 
ID:	105892

Name:	30743463_10155213880516577_6627392725392031744_n.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	105893

Name:	31131406_10155213880291577_4980098799725707264_n.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	255.1 KB 
ID:	105894

Crap photo I took at C&C.

Name:	IMG_20180421_082021.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	407.7 KB 
ID:	105895

Will try and get some in car vid in a couple of weekends time.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Nice!

I love riding in/driving my mates one, the way you look up at Mazda 3s like they're CX9s in traffic is hilarious.

I enjoyed that drive back. From Coorparoo the cars don't even get warmed up.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Great pictures. Looks fantastic going down the road.

Cheers for the invite kents!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

^to cruise back from C&C that you didn't attend?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Cheers for the invite kents!
    You mean this one?
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842972071

Skiiiiids.

And looks damn fine doing it !

It needs better tyres. These Falkens are terrible in the slighted bit of wetness. The above photo was probably not far off walking pace.