Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Nah, it means there's structure that I have to re construct, then install the sill extension patch, then install the guard patch....
    Cut my way in, weld my way out. It also means I have to strip the car further than originally planned.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 08-07-09 at 03:20 PM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Dude, Despite me giving you shit via email, I'm truly sad to see how bad the little bugger is. can you actually see the extent of it (the rust) or are you going to do some more exploritory surgery?
    2010 State Colouring in Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
    Dude, Despite me giving you shit via email, I'm truly sad to see how bad the little bugger is. can you actually see the extent of it (the rust) or are you going to do some more exploritory surgery?
    Basically in those areas there's at least a limit to how high it will extend. I need to strip the doors off and the interior out completely and re-think where the front jack stands are sitting, and then just cut my way in to explore. I've read through enough threads on fixing these things when they're rusty to know where to look and how bad it can be...
    I was expecting a bit of rust up where the rear quarter windows are - rust stains on the drivers side were a giveaway. Bit worse than expected thanks to liberal use of sealant by someone in the past to trap water up there. Took 2 hours to remove all the stainless trim strips around the door/windows on the drivers side - rusty phillips head screws everywhere...

"Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Basically in those areas there's at least a limit to how high it will extend.
    I imagine on an Alfa that would be the top of the roof?

not quite bill, not quite.

Higher than the roof?
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Meh
    Hey I was talking about the garage .....

later
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Ouch But does it just mean that you just have one extra layer to cut out before you plate over properly?

By the way, I ordered a few cans of this stuff, plan to go quite crazy with it:
    http://www.wurth.com.au/cataloguevie...f=A03_0015.pdf
    Watch this stuff when it gets hot. VW use this stuff and it literally bleeds when it gets hot. To the point some customers demand it NOT be applied.

I recall reading in an early issue of Retrocars about a bloke who does a fibreglass stepfront body.
    Last edited by Euroboost; 08-07-09 at 09:00 PM.

Fuck me Ok I changed my mind, I don't want one.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Fiberglass panels wouldn't help much - they'd be replacing what is largely good steel - the rust in the base of the A-pillar has to be fixed properly.
    Today's task - continue stripping the shell down ready to pull the doors off. I'll have to tack in some cross braces in the door frames to make sure t doesn't move.
    At least when this one's done I'll know it's been fixed properly...
    Guess it'll be a case of fix the rust and then hope I get a job so I can afford to get it blasted...

If someone buys my falcon, I'll build one of these for this thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboost View Post
    Watch this stuff when it gets hot. VW use this stuff and it literally bleeds when it gets hot. To the point some customers demand it NOT be applied.
    Yeah, I think that the panels have to be 18-30 degrees hot before application, so I think the go will be to set up some fan heaters to heat up the bodywork in sections before application. I think that it needs to be a little hot, so that the stuff can seep into the seams, folds and joins.

Cleaning up later will be fun tho

Ok, so I've spent a bunch of time researching the rebuild of these things... I guess at least it's not as bad as the one here:
    http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1...-do-again.html

And a reference thread on the structure:
    http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...ts-detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    And a reference thread on the structure:
    http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-...ts-detail.html
    Nearly threw up when I saw this....

I'm a little surprised at how intricate the metalwork is. It seems like Alfa Romeo would use 10 individual little stampings of metal when one big stamping would do.
    Last edited by Babalouie; 09-07-09 at 06:50 PM.

Yeah, I think stamping techniques in the early 60's weren't a patch on what they do these days...
    They're really quite complex structures compared to say and XP falcon.

Hint, AlfaBB images aren't visible to people who aren't logged into the AlfaBB

hey gammaboy
    realy like step nose 105s , good to see you keeping one going.
    A good mate ,just north of brisbane , has a paddock full of old alfas. he would probably have parts that you might need.PM me for his number if you need any bits

Thanks Gerry - I'll shoot you a PM shortly - there's definitly a handfull of bits I'll be chasing.

Shit.....I just remembered I was supposed to help you with the doors on Saturday. Did you bother with it?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Shit.....I just remembered I was supposed to help you with the doors on Saturday. Did you bother with it?
    Nah, I just keep pulling other shit out of it - found the leak in the fuel tank - rusty spot on the mounting flange. Cuntofathing to get out.
    Goint to leave the doors on while I sort the front apron/rad crossmember and the rust under the quarter windows, then get you to give me a hand with the doors once that's done - brace shell, doors off, cut outer sills off, doors back on.

Did I mention I'm glad I bought a fibreglass car?

Yeah, but for what you paid for that thing I could build a really nice GTA rep...

True....maybe. Depends on how much more rust there is I suppose.

So, after 4 1/2 months of avoiding the thing, I've now got my radiator cross member and front apron (got the front apron - chopped the old one off and discovered the cross member was alot more fucked than I thought - hence the delay to get the crossmember, which had to wait till I was earning $$ again) - nice pressings, but miles off of the quality of the original sheet metal - the funny little crosses in the front apron are much crisper in the original pressing, so I will endeavour to keep them.
    Chopped the most of the radiator cross member out, and discovered my Spot weld drillbit was fucked, and not long enough. No worries, had an 8mm drill bit that lost a corner (like the corner was torn off) so attacked it with the bench grinder. Works perfic.
    Discovered some real dodgy patchwork while I was at it. I'll post some pics after I finish up for the day.

later
    For some reason I thought you had sold this.
    Have you got a thread for the 164? I came across 3 of them parked in a street yesterday while doing my rounds. Damm they are a sexy looking car, compared to the Saab 9000 which I don't mind.

Nah, haven't got a thread for the 164, although some stuff for it should be arriving this week.. a chip and a few cosmetic and maintenance items. Fucking $220USD for a set of ;plug leads for the cunting thing. Just been slowly plugging away at fixing the niggling shit that probably led to the previous owner selling it. The electronic dampers work a treat since i fixed a broken solder joint in one...

So, todays half assed effort of fucking around.
    Where I left it, 4 1/2 months ago. radiator cross member looks like fucking swiss cheese.

This happens because if you belly out the front apron on a parking bay end stop thingy, it bashes the drains for this area closed - both the cross member drains and the apron drains were blocked, the apron drains had dissapeared in an earlier attempt at fixing things. Shitfull bloody welding - most of the patchwork up the front here had zero penetration
    Here's the cross member, plus the rust that fell out of it. Chopped it out, leaving about 1" of it still attached to the rails so I could get at some of the hidden spot welds.

I didn't get a shot of the drivers side, it looks to be in very good shape - needed to drill out all the spot welds, hence making myself a long series spot weld drill. Passengers side - different story. alot of the spotwelds weren't there anymore

Can't see it too well, but there's some dodgy patches tacked on ontop of existing rust...
    Awesome.
    I love unbodging shit.

I'd much rather deal with repairing rust that no-one has fucked with - deconstructing bodges is a pain in the ass.

Anyway, this is what it was hiding...

Chopped it out in preparation for some fresh steel

Fresh steel - but it's galv. fuck I hate welding galv.

And on the wheel arch side:

Tomorrow first task will be patching the thicker bit with the two rust holes in it - it's the sway bar mount. fuggen. Next will be boxing the end of the rail back up, and then put the crossmember back in. Hopefullly I'll manage that all tomorrow, and I'll start trimming and tacking the front apron one night during the week...

Fuck, I', bringing my car to you to fix the rust. Fucked if I could do half that shit.
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography | CAMS Gold Level Photographer
    Official Photographer 2018 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Adelaide 500

Looking at this brings back memories of Datto rust chopping and metal working to make up repair pieces. Strangely satisfying work in a way, providing you don't let the amount of work to be done in total get you down.

On rust proofing, I used a flexible wand with a 360 degree nozzle at the end to spray fish oil into the cavities when all the repairs were done. If you are going to do similar then access holes will be needed.

Be a nice job when its all done, great looking car.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

If thats the steel I gave you it's not galv, its zinc anneal and theres nothing wrong with it so stop your whinging and prep it properly!
    2010 State Colouring in Champion

Zinc anneal and Galv are both a layer of zinc on the base steel - the process and finish of the zinc is slightly different - either way, it's a layer of zinc that burns and contaminates your welds - I didn't twig until i'd started welding it in, so the rest of the patch pieces will be ground back to bare steel before welding...
    Either way - I appreciate the steel - the steel joint that's near me doesn't cut sheetmetal on weekends.
    I find welding shit together pretty satisfying, and i suspect the end result will be very satisfying...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 06-12-09 at 08:59 AM.