Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

fuck I can't believe you were driving the heap of shit around, that rock prob saved your life!

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end tho. they are mad fun to drive.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    fuck I can't believe you were driving the heap of shit around, that rock prob saved your life!

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end tho. they are mad fun to drive.
    Scary thing is that I *know* that there are rustier pieces of shit getting around - not just alfas too!
    The bulk of the structural bits are in good shape - i'm not too concerned that I was driving it and driving it hard.
    My concern once it's done is that it'll be too pretty for me to drive as hard as I used to...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I've always loved these things and boy does this thread tickle me in sensitive places... Top work, Gammaboy!

Ahh yes... I'm doing the same sort of work to customers Datto's atm...
    It's heartbreaking to see that much rust, but there is a strange sense of satisfaction when it's all fixed with new metal again

later
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Scary thing is that I *know* that there are rustier pieces of shit getting around - not just alfas too!
    The bulk of the structural bits are in good shape - i'm not too concerned that I was driving it and driving it hard.
    My concern once it's done is that it'll be too pretty for me to drive as hard as I used to...
    Our old Land Rover had a couple of chassis outriggers with big rust holes. Along with the rear cross member and the firewall. At least with Land Rover you can buy compelte new chassis and firewalls, in galv as well.

Actually, just realised that none of my cars, including the shitheaps, have had much rust. Which is good since I can't weld at all.
    Cracked/bent chassis however are a different matter!
    Last edited by Euroboost; 06-12-09 at 10:38 AM.

So, I'm now sitting around killing time while the rust converter does it's thing, I forgot it stains your fingers a purple/black when you wash the brush out. Cunt.
    This is what the good side looked like:

So, fresh metal in:

Welded both sides to make sure, as the bottom side was getting ground back. I was getting good penetration, just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to have some nice crack initiation points, given it's a sway bar mount.

Threaded insert back in:

And the patch panel:

Patch panel is now ground back to remove the zinc, and drilled for plug welds where I need to grind the welds back flush.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Nice work...I wish I knew how to do this stuff
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

practice mainly :P

Patch welded in, ground back and primed

Main shell of cross member in!

It'll get welded on the backside when I seam the engine bay around the main cross member and suspension mounts. I had to pack up before I crawled underneath to run a pair of seams on the bottom. Bit of a breeze picked up, so I had to crank the gas right up to 20l/min and wait for the lulls.

Might get at it tomorrow night to get it ready for the front cap - see how I go.

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    Was i driving alongside you past the Gabba this morning? If so, the 164 sounds great

Hah, yeah, that was me :P
    I thought that was you in the 147 when you came blasting up before braking for the turn onto wellington...
    164 sounds ok - rear muffler is fucked, so some exhaust work in it is in order...

Oh yeah, the cross member is finished and the front apron 70% welded on.

So, with a bit of a dry spell this arvo, I managed to get back into it.
    But, first is christmas day's progress, seeings I didn't have family stuff to do.
    Front of crossmember back on:

Trimming up front apron, almost ready to stitch on:

Got that 70% stitched on on chrissy before having to pack it in to spend christmas night with nopics.

Today:
    Finished stitching it on - just needs the welds dressed, a bit of hammer/dolly action, and then stitching to the bottom of the crossmember where it's currently held with visegrips. The red ones are currently $10ea from bunnings - bargain.

Managed to get it pretty flat along the main weld I was worried about puckering and pulling...

Good Progress.

You weren't game to use the whole new replacement panel to replace the apron?
    (If you get me).

The reason why I trimmed the apron to that contour was for a couple of reasons.
    1) One of the bumper mount bumps had some impossible to panel beat in situ dings - so I wanted to replace them, and I wanted to use the bumper bolt holes as guides during the trimming welding.
    2) The pressed in + on both sides was a much crisper, deeper pressing in the original sheetmetal, so I wanted to keep them.
    3) If I went any higher or lower with the trim lines under the headlights, it meant that I was working with areas with alot of curvature and also I couldn't get my brass heatsink in behind if I blew a hole and needed to fill.
    I also didn't want to replace more sheetmetal than was necessary.

Pics with it all ground back and primed.

A quick shot of the workspace to show why the weather fucks me up...

Nice work Ben! Have you thought about cutting some GTA vents while you are at it?

Yeah, I have thought about doing this with it, but with the factory GT Veloce grills in the main opening:

Not 100% sold on it though.

How does water that gets in between the crossmember and the apron get out (didn't see any drainholes)?

Also...do you plugweld the apron to the crossmember?

BTW do the GTa speedholes.
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Great work. Echo Babs' comments about wishing I had some of the skills of the people on this forum.

I say keep it stock.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    x3 on wish I had skills

I would burn the entire house down trying to do this.

That picture looks like a good pattern to follow. I've seen some that are too big or too small and it looks wrong, but that's spot on.

It depends on whether you want to build a concourse car (stock) or a fun road car/race replica. Those shells suit the latter really well, so that's what I'd be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    How does water that gets in between the crossmember and the apron get out (didn't see any drainholes)?

Also...do you plugweld the apron to the crossmember?

BTW do the GTa speedholes.
    If you look at the crossmember shot, you'll see 4 "dings" in the bottom edge where it folds backwards - these are the drains. Naturally, when someone bottoms it out on a concrete parking bay end stop, it fucks this all up brilliantly. Apron will have some edge welds across the back, and if I get motivated I'll use make a 6mm flat ended spot weld drill and drill through the apron and plug weld it.

Goal for this thing is a fun toy - it's got 2l brakes and diff, a 1.8 allfetta motor that's been breathed on, front knuckle risers, and I'm re-trimming the dash Alfaholics style with the Alcantara crash pad and lower surround and Black vinyl on the main part of the dash. I've thought long and hard about full GTA replica with filling up the centre grill holes and going the full GTA grills/doorhandles/no bumpers, but alot of these are getting GTA-ified, not many in standard looking GT Veloce trim... so I still dunno.

For reference:
    Stock with bumpers:

Stock no bumpers:

GTA, no bumpers:

GTA-Jr Replica, bumpers:
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 29-12-09 at 03:21 PM.

good to see you're sticking with the Alfa style of welds for that added originality

Good progress! I like the second last pic you have there with the tow eye fitted. Looks better with the bumper on unless you make the bumper mounts into something useful.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

So, I decided to start cutting my way in in preparation of welding my way back out on the drivers side sills...
    Rear arch area - Outer sill was a classic case of cut out rusty bit, lap joint in a patch panel over the top, bash back with hammer and sculpt the correct contour with bog... as a result the middle sill panel was up against the patch panel, and this resulted in a bit of trapped moisture corrosion on the middle sill panel (it's got an inner, outer and middle sill... no wonder such a small car weighs 950kg), so it's an easy cut, patch and install replacement bottom 1/4 patch. Original outer sill is the rusted lacework at the bottom

Hit the main part of the sill with a stripit disc to remove the rubberised shit, and get an idea of how much sill I was going to have to replace...
    Turns out, just the front 8" or so under the front of the door.

Cut out the prior bodgy repair - it's about 3/8" thick between the steel and bog in the middle - and was rewarded by good clean middle sill panel... mostly.
    Back side of patch shown here:

Clean middle sill:

Digital camera shows the inside of the sill and the inner sill cavity are both pretty good:
    outer sill cavity - existing patch was performed under the scuff plate at some point:

Inner sill cavity - only a little bit of serious corrosion starting at bottom of shot...

But here's the real work:

Thats the bottom of the a pillar, and the jacking point. the middle sill is gone. just gone - far right of shot you can see the inner sill - there should have been middle sill there. The inner sill needs a lil patching, but not too bad. The bottom of the a pillar structure is gone too. and the end of the outer sill that wraps forward under the guard. This may take a lil bit of work...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 29-12-09 at 06:00 PM.

And I thought Datto Zeds were bad for lap panels...
    Good luck Ben. Take your time AND DON'T RUSH IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    And I thought Datto Zeds were bad for lap panels...
    Good luck Ben. Take your time AND DON'T RUSH IT!
    Hah, what i forgot to mention, and you can't see in that shot, is that behind that A pillar support pressing, the middle sill is actually lap jointed for about 3" - from about the middle of the A pillar to the rear edge - both layers are rusted through on the bottom.
    Yeah, trying to avoid rushing it.

later
    Jesus!
    I vote keep it looking stockish. The GTA doesn't look right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboost View Post
    The GTA doesn't look right to me.
    GTFO!!!!
    Nathan

Speed Shots Photography | CAMS Gold Level Photographer
    Official Photographer 2018 | Shannons Nationals | Porsche Michelin GT3 Cup Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Adelaide 500

So, I started with the easiest patch - drivers side at the back of the sill...
    Chopped out the rusty bit of the outer sill where it wraps under the guards, and the middle sill looks fine. Lovely.

Knocked up a patch:

Hit it up with some rust converter, and while waiting for the rust proofing primer to dry, thought I'd strip the paint/stoneguard/bog from the passengers side. Oh dear.A few patches of heavy bogging revealed some more ordinary patchwork underneath... which when cut back, revealed this:
    Rear lower guard/inner sill bodgework - not too difficult methinks.

Bottom of the front guard and front half of the sill revealed this:

Middle sill is goneski. Given the amount of damage here, I think I'm going to order some bits from the UK, and just keep plugging away at the drivers side.
    But right now, I'm going to have a beer - feeling a little shellshocked at how much work i've got infront of me... and while I can get all the bits as replacement pressings, they're not cheap, and everything is smaller and more fiddly than the XY Ute Karnage is plugging away at for a customer...

The sills I bought off a guy in sydney on ebay earlier in the year are by wolf steel - they're a very basic thing that is basically only the exposed exterior panel. Alfaholics offer one that is as per the factory pressing. Where am I heading with this? Well - trying to make a decision. Only the front half of the outer sill needs replacing, so I could leave the scuff plate section and a small lip in place and trim the wolf steel panel - this is what I'm planning for the drivers side because it's largely good. Or I could buy the Alfaholics pressings, and rebuild from the inner sill outwards along it's full length - less critical external welding, bit of fucking around with the alignment, and an extra $200 for the panel over the $180 of the middle sill (which I'd otherwise only use 1/2 of).

Lol.
    How's your jigsaw puzzle going?