Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: New daily - SR20 powered egg

Surprisingly, despite the core being 70mm taller than the old one, I was able to actually hang it up slightly higher than the old core, which is nice. Unfortunately only about 40% of the core is actually exposed to airflow, but luckily it's a giant convection heatsink so it should still do the job. Sam did 8 runs back to back on the dyno with the last one and there was no power drop due to increased intake temps, so the new massive one should do even better.

I think before I do any more track days i'm goign to have to mount a coolant reservior in the spare wheel well with a manual flow valve on the radiator lines to stop the massive heat soak into the cooling system. I can't fit a thicker radiator because there's no room, and I can't improve teh airflow to the current one much at all. Sams' suggestion was to put a second radiator in the wheel well with a fan on it, or even simply a large alloy box to increase the coolant capacity. It would be pretty tricky to run massive coolant lines to the rear of the car though, especially under the vehicle....

I am a Spinal and Sports Physio based in Flemington, Melbourne. Insane discounts for PF members!

www.showgroundsphysio.com.au

I also retail do high-level professional road bike fitting and retail Speedplay pedals and SMP seats - cheapest you'll find them anywhere.

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

Nah piece of piss. Mr2s do it

Wishes he was him \/\/ Sathanas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    Nah piece of piss. Mr2s do it
    MR2's are also a giant fucking pain in the dick to properly bleed the system. Multiple taps etc used. Second smaller radiator would be ok, but I doubt it would do much for the size you'd be looking at fitting it in the wheel well. How are the thermos? You might have shit ones
    Last edited by Sathanas; 10-01-12 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahabthearab View Post
    If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Some sort of a water spray onto the rad would help, just use the wind screen washer bottle and pump and some smaller misting sprinkler heads.

Thermos are OK but they're jammed up close to the turbo, it's extremely tight - no room to even fit a thicker rad. Can't fit a misting nozzle either, no room at all between air con condensor and radiator. The main problem is airflow really - have a look at the photo of the front of the car, there is only a small air inlet "mouth" which is now completely covered by a 100mm thick intercooler. Behind teh cooler is an air con condensor, and finally the radiator itself. It's OK for quick bursts but after 2 minutes of heavy WOT usage (track racing) it just couldn't dump the heat fast enough.

the proper solution is to just buy a track S13 and forget about this as a track car - after all it is my daily!

I am a Spinal and Sports Physio based in Flemington, Melbourne. Insane discounts for PF members!

I also retail do high-level professional road bike fitting and retail Speedplay pedals and SMP seats - cheapest you'll find them anywhere.

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Oil cooler?
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

Hole saw the fuck out of the front bar.

space the back of the bonnet up
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

buy a better radiator. not a bigger one, but one with a batter core

i agree. i reckon you can beat this.

buy better radiator.
    buy slim line spal fan/s
    foam up anywhare in the firewall that fresh air can escape around the radiator
    themo wrap/ceramic coat exhaust.
    install a few small heat extraction scoops in the bonnet and maybe space it a tad
    make a splitter and undertray to the back of firewall/start of floorpan
    maybe find a subtle riceboy style front bumper with a bigger intake?
    make a massive oil cooler setup

if all of the above doesnt fix it and make it more awesomes.. ill eat my hat.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Nugget is strapped on the dyno. Sams in the shower lol
    Last edited by stockymcstock; 11-01-12 at 09:32 AM.

173fwkw on 11psi so far. Looks much better. Major traction issues on the rollers lol

173fwkw on 11psi so far. Looks much better. Major traction issues on the rollers lol

195 come on baby!

and then......?

BANG

nah not really, it maxed out at 195.8 on 15psi, took heaps more timing so the midrange is fatter and the top end just keeps on going. Looks like the intercooler core did the trick! The only other thing we did was put a grub screw in this little passage in the S15 BOV which must be some type of pressure relieving passage or something..... that could have helped a bit as well.

We had serious issues trying to hold it on to the rollers, sam thinks it would probably read over 200 if it could hold onto the dyno. We strapped it on left/right at the front, then another set of straps pulling it fowards via the back wheels to jam the front tyres onto the roller, then a third set of straps hooked up using an engine lifter over the strut towers pulling it straight down.... still turned them a bit haha. Aggressively turns the fronts in third gear now

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

skylines have those holes in the bov too.

nice result.

I've had a few friends get their S15's tuned to 17psi on stock turbo for many years.
    They were making about the same power at the rears so a little more would have got it over.

but still
    must be fun to drive.

yeah sam said he could turn it up to 17/18psi but i chickened out and said to leave it on 15 - i really CBF pulling off a blown turbo in a few weeks' time for the sake of 10kw...... next step is to put the GT2860RS on it and see what it does - I might as well because it's just sitting in my shed doing nothing, I can then sell the S15 turbo and enjoy the slightly less aggressive power delivery that a bigger turbo would give

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

Runs on Astron power! karl_2ltGC's Avatar
    Shit cunt, so is this fast enough yet?
    Whens the oil cooler going on?
    Mad Cunt
    Galant '93 6A12TT Calder 1:17.1200 14/03/15 - Sandown 1:32.0556 04/10/15 - Phillip Island 1:58.0573 20/03/2016 - Winton 1:46.5678 1/11/2015 (Natsoft)

yeah it's plenty fast enough now - anything else is just for shits and giggles

wtf would i put an oil cooler on it for? aside from the lack of real estate (see giant cooler in front of radiator) there's no need really

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

nudder dirte30 fanboy
    I wonder if I am running into a similar problem with the SRE30. TD06 on 21psi = roughly 220-230kw, but this was with standard camshafts, engine with 110psi static comp / 55% leak.

I have the same size core. Oddly intake temps don't seem to be spastic. Guess I will find out after we finish putting the new engine back together.

Good to see you making some more progress on the egg though.

you should have shitloads of room for an oil cooler in that dead space at each corner of the bumper infront of the wheels..

at the same time you could do a remote filter so its not such a slut to get off next time.

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    you should have shitloads of room for an oil cooler in that dead space at each corner of the bumper infront of the wheels..

at the same time you could do a remote filter so its not such a slut to get off next time.
    left side has a washer bottle in it, zero room

right side has intercooler piping straight through it, zero room

both sides have no airflow!

yeah trust me i've thought about all this - it's a packaging nightmare.

in other news i drove to work this morning and it was 12 degrees outside..... fuck me the car has some beans in the cold air

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

Seconded. Definitely need an oil cooler now.

Quote Originally Posted by e30guy View Post
    I wonder if I am running into a similar problem with the SRE30. TD06 on 21psi = roughly 220-230kw, but this was with standard camshafts, engine with 110psi static comp / 55% leak.

I have the same size core. Oddly intake temps don't seem to be spastic. Guess I will find out after we finish putting the new engine back together.

Good to see you making some more progress on the egg though.
    Simple solution is to measure the pressure drop across the intercooler core. It should be less than 0.5psi.

Remember, if you're running a turbo up near the top of its efficiency band, say a TD06 on 21psi, you probably have about 50psi of exhaust back pressure driving the rear turbine. If your plenum is seeing 21psi, but the core drop is 3psi (as mine was) then the turbo is actually being asked to produce 24psi. If that is just outside the turbine's flow island, you may be having a large backpressure spike and lots of excessive pumping losses. This is what was happening to me - the S15 turbo was actually having to make 18psi for us to see 15 in the plenum. Lots of backpressure = pumping losses = 50hp gone.

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

nudder dirte30 fanboy
    Yeah that is one of the things on my hitlist.

Check intercooler losses, double check for boost leaks etc. It shouldn't have an exhaust backpressure problem (post turbo) with 3" straight exhaust and hotdog muffler. I have since gone to an external gate rear housing, was running an internal gate with the gate held shut. Hoping it all adds up for better response and everything should be working a fair bit easier.

I'm also throwing in a set of 264/272 HKS cams.

Wishes he was him \/\/ Sathanas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stockymcstock View Post
    left side has a washer bottle in it, zero room

right side has intercooler piping straight through it, zero room

both sides have no airflow!

yeah trust me i've thought about all this - it's a packaging nightmare.

in other news i drove to work this morning and it was 12 degrees outside..... fuck me the car has some beans in the cold air
    Guessing one advantage of an oil cooler would be you could mount it in more remote places then say a coolant resevoir. Bolt it to the front of the front bar Jap style, or under the car somewhere. Can't remember how low your car is, but would undercar be an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahabthearab View Post
    If you're in Amsterdam why the fuck are you even conscious and not in a drug fueled haze bent over with some crackhore hooker jamming a giant black didldo up your arse?

Why do you guys think it needs an oil cooler? there is a factory water/air cooler at the back of the block (which probably doesn't do *that* much anyway) but the issue isn't engine oil temp, it's coolant temp (and yes I know they're linked, but the radiator isn't boiling on the track due to the oil temps)

bearing in mind that i'm not really going to track this, maybe the odd fun day in winter at winton or something for a laugh, but this isn't a track car - it's my daily

www.neillsbikefit.com.au

My experiences with sr20's are only rwd, but it if helps in the s15 the oil cooler was a good thing with water temps also coming down after it was fitted.

on a 4efte/t25 with an fmic (which admittedly is not exactly the same, but conceptually similar being fwd limited by front end space for radiator due to large turbo) I've had watertemp problems solved by the addition of a (chinese) oil cooler.

still, I reckon the first port of a call is a good radiator. less f'in around than an oil cooler, which needs a thermostat, many new places to leak etc etc.

have a look at what we had to do just to get the front tyres to stop slipping on the dyno. First we tried just car weight with a strap left and right to stop it moving sideways. Wouldn't hold even on just 10psi. So we hooked up straps on each rear wheel to drag the car forwards onto the front roller. Still slipping. So we let the tyres down to 25psi. Still slipping. Next sam goes and gets an engine hoist bar thing and we strap it down vertically as well as horizontally onto the front roller. We did two runs like that but the readings actually dropped - too much rolling resistance. Basically as the boost/torque all hits so savagely it just couldn't hold on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0699.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	54503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	54504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0705.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	54505

www.neillsbikefit.com.au