Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 61 chev+LS1+turbo

61 chev+LS1+turbo

Well thought i would document my new project build and progress as time and money permits. I built and had plenty of fun with a 308 twin turbo mercedes(that some of you may have seen at powercruise), now i have 2 kids and want something i can enjoy with them so the merc has gone, as it is a bit extreme and i have been kicked off the track for no cage and cant afford to race a car competitively. So i went shopping and bought a completely original 1961 chevy belair from California in the states. The plan is to leave it looking standard and having it fully legal and street registered so i can go on cruises and actually use the car as much as possible. But when powercruise comes around every year i would like to have some fun on the track. So the plans are for a standard LS1 and a decent size turbo. I intend to make this a budget project with mainly cheap ebay parts except for some important stuff that needs to be 100% (fuel system etc).

Nice one...looks clean and complete.

Much rust? How are the floors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    I hate being a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    "We never get that high tech jap stuff in here, should be no problem though" lol

What's the original engine?
    I reckon this is a great project, LS1+turbo is very cool, great easy power to be made and relatively cheap too.
    Love the shape of the 61 chev, should be good at powercruise.
    Good work
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

That motor should be a 283ci SBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    I hate being a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    "We never get that high tech jap stuff in here, should be no problem though" lol

needs more BW S400

welcome to pf
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Yoda
    I <3 Hamster

Great stuff. Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a good starting point for an awesome cruiser. Seen the twin turbo merc at powercruise many times.
    Hr under construction

loved the merc and this also looks like win
    Nope

Yeah it has a 283 in it and cast iron powerglide, as far as rust it is really good. the trim hanging off the seats is actually fitted seat covers, underneath looks pretty good. Well i ripped the interior out to be done and i am going to fit a digital stereo that accepts ipod/mp3 etc but looks original and hide the speakers behind the kick panels and under the parcel shelf. cheers for the comments, i have perused this site a bit and i thought i should get involved. Also i have put a couple of pics of my mates RX4 coupe that i have been working on for him, we will have it at powercruise.

This thing is respect!
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

Nice car and very original. I reckon some big alloy 20" wheels at the back and some 18's on the front will set it off nicely, look forward to the build up.

In case you haven't found this thread already: http://www.impalas.net/forums/showth...?t=686&page=28
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
    Wilful ignorance does though.

I was thinking about 20" wires on the rear and 18" wires on the front, havent really decided yet (got plenty of time to decide). Will need to get a paint job first if i can find someone reasonably priced to do it, otherwise i may be painting another car.

Wires are very heavy though personally I'm not a fan. Maybe some Boyd Coddington's, Show Wheels or something like that? Will be a really tough looking machine when it's finished anyway. How long do you think it will take?

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I reckon keep the steelies and add some mooneyes. Sleeper look ftw.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

yeah would love show wheels or something like that, its just $$$ though. If i had money available maybe 3 months of weekends and after work?? But more likely 12 months

had a quick look at your link, wow! that is a mammoth amount of work! very nice though

I'd leave it be. Looks money the way it is.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Big wire wheels look stupid. keep em small

Well the head unit arrived from the states and it is fitted, also picked up some new 14" wires for 600 dollars with new white wall tyres, he fitted them to his car and hit the guards because of the offset. Couldnt pass on them for 600 as all the tyres on it now are perishing from age and go flat real quick

the interior

Well i got the interior done and fitted. Was done by Sheldon Peirce on the Sunshine Coast. I wanted it to look as original as possible, i am stoked with the job they have done.

just bought a pit lane carport for powercruise 2011, so i have a deadline now haha

LOVE the wire wheels mate, this is gonna look awesome. Tried putting the wires on with the original body for shits and giggles? Would look pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX19X View Post
    Shitbreak is the epitome of perfection.

Well here are the 14" wires fitted, just mucking around. Also bought an LS1 in a poor state (although complete). Trying to source an easy disc brake conversion but just about all of them seem to need 15" wheels, and i want the flexibility to keep 14" wheels. I will try and find out if HQ brakes will fit???

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    looks like you're hitting switches in some of those shots
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Looks like a great project mate. Very nice platform to build with.

Remember seeing the benz up for sale and wanting it. Mainly cause you'd done absolutely everything the right way. No expense spared.

Do you mind me asking how much it ended up going for? I think I saw it listed for like 25k ages back.

Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Looks like a great project mate. Very nice platform to build with.

Remember seeing the benz up for sale and wanting it. Mainly cause you'd done absolutely everything the right way. No expense spared.

Do you mind me asking how much it ended up going for? I think I saw it listed for like 25k ages back.

Looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Got any of the old w108 bits lying around mate? Be happy to take any spares off your hands for my w109 skid pig
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

thanks mate, didnt really want it to go. But time for change. swapped it for a 03 VY R8 clubsport which is for sale. The merc lives in NSW now.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchypiMp View Post
    Got any of the old w108 bits lying around mate? Be happy to take any spares off your hands for my w109 skid pig
    got some chrome stuff taking up room in the shed from the 108, what did you want? want to sell it for a token amount