Page 4 of 165 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Trailer Towing the Einstein way....

Quote Originally Posted by bernie-rx7 View Post
    are you taking about the roller or the dickhead in the original post?
    i thought Jim etal. were saying the RR was badly loaded?

パワーチップません - No Powerchip! bernie-rx7's Avatar
    fuckin oath it was badly loaded.... it should have never been loaded in the first place. trailer proabably weighs a tonne on its own... roller proabably 2.5 tonne. i'm sure i was about a tonne over the limit and further more it was too much weight on the ball thats why I moved it back about a foot after i took the photo.
    Toys List
    1933 34ft Williams Timber Cruiser
    1951 Ariel Red Hunter 500cc
    1973 Honda CB250 Cafe Racer
    1977 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
    1979 Mazda S1 Rx-7 12abp
    1980 Maico 440
    1981 Mazda S2 Rx-7 20bt
    1983 Mazda S2 Rx7 GT Sport Sedan
    1983 Honda CR480
    1989 Honda CR500
    1997 Mazda S7 Rx-7 13btt
    1998 3.2m Aussie Whaler - 40hp Mercury
    1999 KTM 250 Team Castrol Factory Race bike
    2005 Holden Rodeo Diesel Hauler
    2006 Husqvarna TE450

I was. Should never have more than about 70 or 80kg on the draw bar and never less than about 30 to 50kg.
    Too much on the draw bar may damage the tow car and WILL cause you to lose weight from the steer wheels and probably lose control of it, too little weight means you will not have enough weight over the back wheels, get the death wobbles, lose control and jack knife it.

On top of that you put too much weight on the front trailer wheels and increase the risk of popping tyres. Especially when you are towing some stupidly heavy shitbox.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

screw the av's
    Hey towie, just a question for you, are there any set guidelines in Sydney Metro for storage fees?

パワーチップません - No Powerchip! bernie-rx7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I was. Should never have more than about 70 or 80kg on the draw bar and never less than about 30 to 50kg.
    Too much on the draw bar may damage the tow car and WILL cause you to lose weight from the steer wheels and probably lose control of it, too little weight means you will not have enough weight over the back wheels, get the death wobbles, lose control and jack knife it.

On top of that you put too much weight on the front trailer wheels and increase the risk of popping tyres. Especially when you are towing some stupidly heavy shitbox.
    I don't think there was any more than 100kg on the drawbar. I wanted the weight to prevent the speed wobbles. didn't go over 80kmh but yeah plenty dangerous and will not be attempted again.

I've since put proper commercial truck tyres on the trailer too.

thanks for the heads up. the trailer only really tows the rx7's and it shits that in.
    Toys List
    1933 34ft Williams Timber Cruiser
    1951 Ariel Red Hunter 500cc
    1973 Honda CB250 Cafe Racer
    1977 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
    1979 Mazda S1 Rx-7 12abp
    1980 Maico 440
    1981 Mazda S2 Rx-7 20bt
    1983 Mazda S2 Rx7 GT Sport Sedan
    1983 Honda CR480
    1989 Honda CR500
    1997 Mazda S7 Rx-7 13btt
    1998 3.2m Aussie Whaler - 40hp Mercury
    1999 KTM 250 Team Castrol Factory Race bike
    2005 Holden Rodeo Diesel Hauler
    2006 Husqvarna TE450

Big Block Ford 545 cubes! XEFalconUte's Avatar
    I towed a 1992 Tarago about 1800kg (with a blown head gasket) on a 1000kg rental trailer using a VR v6 Commonhore from Narandera to the Western Suburbs of Melbourne.(About 450km)

Other than the fact we couldn't turn on the aircon without the car getting a little hot it was sweet. No small children were killed in our towing adventure.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by RotaUte View Post
    I take it you're a PF member by the gay sarcastic comment that I'm sure you thought
    was funny after 2 beers, but it was lamer than possibly recordable.

Quote Originally Posted by tez View Post
    Hey towie, just a question for you, are there any set guidelines in Sydney Metro for storage fees?
    Part of the max tow fee gets you 48 hours storage included... After that it is capped at $17 per day + GST...

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    How come nobody flinched at the story changing all of a sudden?
    I don't buy it.

Since we are speculating on what people would have done (ie Ford driver would have ignored advice to raise jockey wheel), I think the truck driver had a schadenfreude moment when he saw them driving with the jockey wheel down and took pleasure it not telling them.

To ignore advice from someone arguing on the pretense of them making money is different ignoring free advice. Pretty much "your shit is illegal I will ring the cops if you don't accept my tow". I am sure the ford driver would have taken the advice to use rope instead of string if he had rope. And I think he would have raised the jockey wheel had he been advised it was down since this doesnt require items he does not have. Old mate was pissed off that he didn't get his tow and there was nothing for him to gain by telling them their jockey wheel was down.

I'm not saying the Ford driver was not a cock, but the truck driver was a massive cock for not telling him the jockey wheel was down. He can't have it both ways. If he was telling them about how UNSAFE their dodgy setup was because he was concerned about their SAFETY rather than getting a tow, then why did he choose to not tell them about the massively unsafe situation of the jockey wheel down? He done the exact opposite and even took photos of it! What a CUNT! No money to be made by telling them it was down so why bother?

I towed a load almost as big from Melbourne to Brisbane in a Falcon. It was the first time I towed that trailer and I had not used a trailer with a reversing latch before (a latch that stops the brakes coming on when you reverse it). The owner never told me about it, so I drove 1800km with brakes that engaged just enough to scrape the rust off the discs but not enough to do any meaning full braking. Down the Towoomaba range and all.

It would have been awesome if I crashed and saw some smug fuckwit took pics of my reversing latch before I crashed instead of telling me about it.

Yes I know I am a fuckwit for not doing it right in the first place, but its easy to do shit wrong.

Last edited by 2JZR31; 13-10-10 at 09:02 PM.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

And without making a bandwagon it seems incredible that towie would post the pics in a 'look at the numpty towing shit dangerously' thread without posting the obvious gloat of the pics of the crashed car and trailer. This isn't personal towie but I don't believe the way you are telling the story is how it actually happened. No way could you sit on those photos which add credence to your 'safe towoing by licenced towies only' mantra.

Just sayin'

Look out posters of PF, Inspector Muz is on your case.

Towie, I just bought it for the laugh it was intended.
    Last edited by JabberWocky; 13-10-10 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by My mate Nathan
    "Boob is almost as good as cunt"

The whole thing was staged to convince more people to use towies
    as short as possible

Reminds me of the time we dragged off a VS SS at the lights in a MY99 v5 sti, whilst towing a Sigma I bought for a carton of coke.

Oh to be a teenager again.
    '94 ED XR8 Sprint - 347w, 5-speed manual, 3.9s, Bilsteins, 1 Piston PBR's
    '02 AUIII TS50 - 342w, 4-speed ESS Auto, 3.45s, Konis, Brembos
    '04 BA XT - It runs!

I dragged off a 253 Kingswood in my Camry while towing my boat (not the big one in the pic above) lolzer.
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 14-10-10 at 05:36 AM.
    10.83 @ 125

Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

A guy I worked with in the late 70s/early 80s bought an old Chev light truck he planned to restore, and decided to tow it home behind his HK Kingswood wagon. For some reason, he couldn't get the truck onto the trailer with the nose to the front of the trailer, and had to load it with the nose and engine to the rear. The truck had no bodywork at the back, just the frame rails, so it was really nose heavy. Even with the truck backed onto the trailer as far as it would go, it still took two people to apply enough weight to the trailer hitch to get it down onto the Kingy tow ball.

Apparently the jack-knife on the trip home was not pretty. I heard that one of the Chevy's frame rails took out one of Kingy's rear windows.
    James

Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Nance (35+ years in US Intelligence)
    Coincidence takes a lot of planning!
    Nova Scotia Lasers - LASER engraving
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12
    2008 Chrysler Aspen Limited (mini van on steroids)
    2003 Land Rover Discovery SE7

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    i towed cars few times with a pajero and a hired trailer and it's more trouble than it's worth

once you factor in the hire charges and the cuntloads of fuel the SUVs use and the sheer fucking around you may as well pay a cunt like towie to take care of it
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

Yeah if it's a one off or a short trip a towie makes sense. If it's longer than a hundred k's or you need to do it 4 times in 2 days then it's too expensive for mere mortals.

I've been towing car trailers since the early 90's and made every stupid mistake in the book when I first started using it so I do speak from experience ( haven't crashed yet tho :P )
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

I inadvertently loaded a car trailer tail heavy but I had heaps of weight in the back of the ute so it looked ok. First time I hit 80 kays the cunt tried to turn the ute upside down. The mate I was with thought I had lost my mind and sawed back and forth on the steering wheel. I stood on it and it pulled straight after using all three lanes on Epping road.

When I unhooked it later it took two of us standing on it to balance the trailer. Fucking insanely dangerous.

I have to be careful when loading that big boat up. Its possible to load it up so there is almost no weight on the draw bar by loading heavy items in the rear of the boat. I figured out it was fucked on my own the first time I towed it like that. It feels much more stable with more load on the drawbar. I also noticed that ford wagon (leaf spring) is MUCH better than a coil spring sedan. Heaps more stable.
    10.83 @ 125

so if you cant move the draw bar with one person, you are probably over-balanced?

picks arnt loading anymore .. anyone have them saved??
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
    Freeze a gearbox and slide it under his front door

Quote Originally Posted by bernie-rx7 View Post
    here i was thinking i was dickhead for towing this behind the rodeo

I see your inappropriate tow, and raise you a triple axle trailer, stuffed with one fat toyota crown and towed from Adelaide to Sydney and back.

Would have been waay over weight.

No issues - but required extreme vigilance whilst driving............
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

PF brains trust:
    recently someone told me it's better to loop trailer safety chains over the top of the coupler then attaching to the car. I've always just crossed them under the coupler then attaching to the car.

Has anyone heard of this before?

From the looks of it, with the chains crossed over the top, the trailer would have less range of movement if it came off the hitch which I guess is a positive.
    Ideas?

Where are the pics farkin!
    Im not only sure Im HIV positive.

I still reckon its more of a percentage game that making arbitrary figures when is comes to towball down weight.

I have always used the 10% rule of thumb and NEVER had an unstable towing episode,

I mentioned it in the other thread and my 2T boat (factory setup - no gear in it) had waaaay more than 70-80kg on the ball - more like 150kg unladen, towed beautifully and the arse of the Prado did not sag excessively. 150kg is only two blokes in the boot

The olds' caravan is also close to 10% from the factory - 1.4T and 100kg ball weight unladen

I can also say with great confidence that when we towed a S185 Bobcat behind a Patrol (about 3.5T all up), there was way more than 70kg on the ball then too

I have on occasion breached the rules with a camper trailer I have - its about 650kg laden adn I stuck a dirt bike carrier on the drawbar - down weight around 130kg. still no probs in towing from Brissy to Nthrn NSW, but I was alot more careful knowing I was well over the 10% rule (more like 20%).

Also having a heavy tow vehicle really help stability obviously
    'Lifes pretty straight without twisties'

Quote Originally Posted by dahashrat View Post
    PF brains trust:
    recently someone told me it's better to loop trailer safety chains over the top of the coupler then attaching to the car. I've always just crossed them under the coupler then attaching to the car.

From the looks of it, with the chains crossed over the top, the trailer would have less range of movement if it came off the hitch which I guess is a positive.
    Ideas?
    I always thought that "safety chains" were compulsory,not to benefit the tow car , but to stop the trailer from careering down the road & wiping out other innocent travellers in the event of a breakaway. And the chains should also be short enough [& strong enough] to stop the trailer draw bar digging into the ground in the event of a tow ball failure.

I digress motherfuckers!! Bogan's Avatar
    Crossing them under the tongue allows it to go around corners without stretching the chain, but if you're talking about just joining them and putting them over the top of the tongue you only need one decent bump and you're fucked if the ball comes out of the hitch.

Keep doing what you're doing that's what I used to do with my car trailer.

Just make sure you've got the catch released and down on the hitch for those which stay up and 'unlocked' before you put any load on it or go anywhere, I drove the car up onto the trailer at Narooma a few years ago and the trailer lifted at the front when the car hit the ramps, if the guy who was up there attaching the wiring had his head over the coupling he would have been well fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by dahashrat View Post
    PF brains trust:

Ideas?
    I touched my brother's wang and all I got was this lousy signature. If only I had a POWERCHIP to flick instead.

Quote Originally Posted by losferwords
    i know its a fucking hose

We used to cross the chains over the coupling then down to the thing on the tongue, supposed help restrict upwards movement if coupling tries to come off
    Moo Powered Courier...coming soon, just need time and money

later
    I was told cross the chains under the tongue to stop the drawbar from digging in if it comes off, and ideally use 2 chains to 2 rated bow shackles on the towbar. Had a couple of trailers come loose over the years, thankfully just box trailers although one weighed just over 500kg with the built in BBQ and shit.

later
    Quote Originally Posted by VE Safari View Post
    My wife once towed about 2000kg of topsoil in a 1300cc Mazda 121 from Penrith to Castle Hill, with the jockey wheel down. I kind of lol'd when she came home, until I realised how lucky she was to get away with that. Then we had crazy monkey sex so it was all ok.
    And I thought towing 500kg with mine was pushing my luck! Next you'll tell me it was a blood bubble!

dangerous fugitive
    I missed out on the pics - anyone?
    John McKenzie

Science flies people to the moon.
    Religion flies people into buildings.