Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Cordless Rattleguns ... current hotness

Quote Originally Posted by Forg Convertible View Post
    grabbed one of these a few weeks ago. Goes good. 12v but must have high amps going on inside... Light and compact.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...enches/2555-20

Wheel bolts, suspension, driveshaft guibo, even front subframe bolts on a e60 M5 (I had to get the engine out on a bed, did not pull out my M18 gun once.)
    Pretty solid - double the existing m12 fuel impact.

https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/po...ess/m12ciw12-0
    Last edited by MartyHusseinXF; 13-05-19 at 02:38 PM.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Annoying bit is that we dont seem to be able to get the silicone boot here.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I am in the Hitachi / HiKoki ecosystem.

Have the WH18DBDL2 H4 impact driver, it is IP56 rated and does up screws etc with ease: https://www.tradetools.com/product-r...ct-driver-skin
    After reading the reviews on the various impact drivers this one seemed to win at the time, due to the triple hammer/anvil design.
    So I then bought the 18V angle grinder, 18V drill, and 18V hedge trimmer from Hitachi too, along with two 6Ah batteries and the charger. Run times are crazy long, I can hedge trim for 2-3 hours straight on a single charge.
    Pretty sure all of the above are brushless. They come with these awesome stackable storage boxes too.

So now I am looking for the automotive equivalent in 3/8" or 1/2", mainly for undoing wheel nuts etc. Being able to get into tight spots would be a bonus. My air rattle gun has failed, pressing the trigger just lets air out, I think the forward/reverse mechanism has failed internally in some halfway-in-between state.

Looking at the WR18DBDL2 H4, has anyone tried this? It's also IP56 rated so it doesn't mind if I'm using it in the rain.
    Or should I go for the WR18DSHL H4 which seems to have more torque but not IP rated, has brushes and physically larger?
    Last edited by Ribfeast; 14-05-19 at 09:43 AM.

Think I might go the brushless one as it is smaller and more durable. Just waiting for finances to be in an acceptable state

Opens
    If it's just for wheel nuts, just get a set set of hex to socket adaptors?

I use these on a non-brushless Dewalt impact driver that is rated at around 155Nm all the time for wheel nuts and haven't ever had a problem. Also have a 500Nm dewalt impact wrench but never need to pull it out for most basic automotive stuff.

Hmm that might be the go, I think I have a few adaptors I could cobble together to do similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    Pretty solid - double the existing m12 fuel impact.

https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/po...ess/m12ciw12-0
    Just got one and they are fucken amazing
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Registered User Forg Convertible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    My M18 mid torque does wheel nuts with ease. M12 Stubby loses too much through the converter.
    We talking about the same m12 stubby? What converter do you mean? My new M12 stubby (250ft/lb) does wheel nuts with ease. All day every day. It's nice not to have to bring out a big heavy M18 gun.

Maybe the 2555 is not available in Australia yet?

Actually yes it is:
    https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/power-tools/cordless/m12fiwf12-202b

339nm vs the old 160nm.
    Last edited by Forg Convertible; 14-05-19 at 03:32 PM.

We talking about the same m12 stubby? What converter do you mean? My new M12 stubby (250ft/lb) does wheel nuts with ease. All day every day. It's nice not to have to bring out a big heavy M18 gun.

Maybe the 2555 is not available in Australia yet?

Actually yes it is:
    https://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/po...m12fiwf12-202b

339nm vs the old 160nm.
    Yeah, i have the M12 stubby in 3/8, not 1/2. But dont have any wheel nut sockets in 3/8 and all my wheel nuts have too much of a dome or extra shaft section to be used with the 3/8 impact sockets i have.

If you run a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter it does work, but loses a lot of torque from the slop.

I picked up these 3/8 Nano sockets in the US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Awesome little things, and help tons with clearance.
    Last edited by takai; 14-05-19 at 03:42 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Registered User Forg Convertible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Yeah, i have the M12 stubby in 3/8, not 1/2. But dont have any wheel nut sockets in 3/8 and all my wheel nuts have too much of a dome or extra shaft section to be used with the 3/8 impact sockets i have.

If you run a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter it does work, but loses a lot of torque from the slop.

I picked up these 3/8 Nano sockets in the US: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Awesome little things, and help tons with clearance.
    Ahh yes now I understand. I was going to get the 3/8 but was advised it was not as strong due to the smaller anvil. Glad I got the 1/2. And I don't ahve 3/8 sockets in impact either.

Ahh yes now I understand. I was going to get the 3/8 but was advised it was not as strong due to the smaller anvil. Glad I got the 1/2. And I don't ahve 3/8 sockets in impact either.
    Yeah, i wanted it for smaller stuff around the car and tight spaces. Thats where the 3/8 sockets really help too.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

So I've decided I do enough car work that I should have one of these cordless rattleguns, and maybe a cordless ratchet thing as well. My old Bosch cordless drill is getting a bit long in the tooth so it probably needs upgrading. So I've been looking around for some sort of combo deal so I can have a bunch of tools with the same battery system - makes sense right?

So far the only one I've found which includes the tools I'm actually interested in is this Ryobi one:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18...o-kit_p0079245

It includes a Hammer Drill, Ratchet Wrench, Impact Wrench, Angle Grinder, Shop Light and a couple of 18v batteries + charger for $569. I have no idea if this deal is any good though, I haven't looked at cordless tools in ages. Does anyone have an opinion on Ryobi stuff? Keep in mind I'm very much a hobbyist, not running a commercial workshop here, so top end gear probably isn't worth it for me.

If anyone knows of any similar combo deals (for car workshop use) please let me know. Most of the combos I've come across seem more focused on the home improvement side of things so come with stuff like cordless circular saws etc that I'll never use.
    Norbie!

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
    So I've decided I do enough car work that I should have one of these cordless rattleguns, and maybe a cordless ratchet thing as well. My old Bosch cordless drill is getting a bit long in the tooth so it probably needs upgrading. So I've been looking around for some sort of combo deal so I can have a bunch of tools with the same battery system - makes sense right?

So far the only one I've found which includes the tools I'm actually interested in is this Ryobi one:

It includes a Hammer Drill, Ratchet Wrench, Impact Wrench, Angle Grinder, Shop Light and a couple of 18v batteries + charger for $569. I have no idea if this deal is any good though, I haven't looked at cordless tools in ages. Does anyone have an opinion on Ryobi stuff? Keep in mind I'm very much a hobbyist, not running a commercial workshop here, so top end gear probably isn't worth it for me.

If anyone knows of any similar combo deals (for car workshop use) please let me know. Most of the combos I've come across seem more focused on the home improvement side of things so come with stuff like cordless circular saws etc that I'll never use.
    Price seems good, not too much fluff in that pack as the Ryobi torch is a good thing according to martycarmoogs.

I've not used it extensively but never had problems with Ryobi stuff.

Foamy here has all that gear and I used it a fair bit whilst rebuilding my soarer at his shop. It's all good enough and very well priced. the Milwaukee M12 stuff is better for a car guy IMO as everything is way smaller and lighter and still has more than enough punch, meaning you end up using it more often, but it's much much more expensive.

If you wanna get a bunch of useful stuff for as little as possible without it being utter shit, I would go for that Ryobi stuff no worries.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

I got that kit myself, I'd recommend going in store to order it rather than doing it online. I ordered online and it wasn't until I called up a fortnight later they told me they didn't have any of that kit in stock in the country. Of course 2 weeks later when I finally got a hold of it it's all boxed up individually so they could've just as easily pulled all the shit off the shelf and made it up themselves but that would've been too hard.

I went with Ryobi mostly because I'm not flogging my gear all day every day and that pack was the cheapest way to get the tools I want. I also have some of their garden care gear so already had 2 batteries. The impact wrench get's the wheel nuts off a suburban (140 ft/lb) without breaking a sweat.

Thanks blokes, sounds like it's a good match for my needs. As above there is much nicer stuff around but it's way out of my price range. This seems like a decent compromise.
    Norbie!

Ryobi stuff is mostly 6 year warranty on the skins if you register them too. And it's pretty much zero questions asked replacement at Bunnings.
    Last edited by Shonky; 22-05-19 at 02:31 PM.

there is much nicer stuff around but it's way out of my price range. This seems like a decent compromise.
    There is less nice stuff out there too, the only thing that stops me getting an ozito rattlegun (apart from not having the several dozen dollars required burning a hole in my pocket) is the fact they don't do an impact ratchet, i'll still use their drills etc but might as well have the car tools on the same batteries.

Ryobi stuff is good, it's not Milwaukee but sometimes cheaper electric tools are better if you flog the fuck out of them.

I really like the Ryobi brushless drill, I think the cordless ratchet is shit but Foamy thinks it's great. Impact gun is decent.
    Last edited by dnegative; 22-05-19 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

I picked up that Ryobi kit on the weekend, haven't had much of a chance to play with it but I did use the impact wrench on a few stubborn subframe bolts in my Supra. It made short work of it, I was surprised how much kick it has. I think it might be stronger than the shitty SCA rattle gun I have, so I don't think my air compressor will be getting much use from now on!

Anyway I'm sold on these things already, I can see how they can save shitloads of time and hassle. As with many things I probably should have bought one years ago.
    Norbie!

Yeah Ryobi battery rattlers are better than shit air rattlers, and "different" to good ones.

My air rattler was 20 bucks, it's extra shit and I generally use an adaptor in my cheap battery drill to get bolts/nuts on/off before/after doing/undoing them with a ratchet or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Ryobi stuff is mostly 6 year warranty on the skins if you register them too. And it's pretty much zero questions asked replacement at Bunnings.
    That's good to know, my 8" 1+ circular saw just stopped working, it's only about three years old tops. However, the 20 other 1+ tools have been faultless. Particularly the rattle gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    That's good to know, my 8" 1+ circular saw just stopped working, it's only about three years old tops. However, the 20 other 1+ tools have been faultless. Particularly the rattle gun.
    You have to have registered it within 30 days of purchase to get the extended warranty. Otherwise it's just 2 years. Also that extended warranty didn't exist 3 years ago I'm pretty sure. Can't hurt to try at Bunnings though.

Suspended
    My workshop has every brand. Snap on dies. Milwaukie dies after a year or two. I have bout 30 makita tools not one has died. Iíve had makita for about 10 years now and the 10 year old batteries are still going which is amazing. Got bout 10 batteries no one has failed.

just picked up one of these on the weekend
    https://www.makita.com.au/products/p...-impact-wrench

it rattles, took off a wheel nut easy as on the lowest setting.

although that should also be good enough for the hub nuts on the falcooon (300nm).

dunno what I'll need 1600nm for, gonna disassemble the harbour bridge maybe.
    GT-P
    Bandsenkowagon

Anyone wanting the milwaukee stubby rattle gun, its on ebay for $196.20. Cheapest anywhere by far if you already have m12 stuff.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123794869987

Otherwise, milwaukee have a redemption if you buy the kit with charger and 2 x 3.0 a/h batteries at the moment. Get a free 6.0a/h battery.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com.au/redemptions/