Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elektra the Valiant - 13's for $1300 project

Elektra the Valiant - 13's for $1300 project

so ive had this val lying around that i didnt know what to do with it, so im glad dennis thought this up!

meet elektra..

my aunty bought her for $200 and gave it too me for my 16?th birthday.
    shes a little bit worse for wear these days. dodgy electricals, floor pan, rear quarters and c pillar rust etc etc. however should make a good light platform to do this challenge on, and give me a bit of motorvation to actually do something with it!

these are the 2 cars that will be donating various bits for the project. the VE will be donating the interior (rwc items, so $0) and column($$?).

the CM is donating the 265 hemi, bw35, front end, front and rear brakes. average cost of a CM is <$100, so to be safe ill say $200 unless someone disagrees?

heres the 265 in question.. pulled it apart for a 'freshen' years ago, found it had recently been reco'd.. thats about as far as i got. nows the perfect opportunity to throw a cam in it

bw35.. hopefully it will last a few passes. if not, i have a bw 4 speed i can use, but will require a custom tailshaft, and will add on $450 to the budget.

cain 4bbl and 465 holley. recently reco'd i think. picked up for $150 at the bendigo swap meet this year. i think the 465 may be a little small depending on cam and auto stall point, so i may have to sell it and replace with 600 vac sec.

cm duel outlet exhaust. similar to type used on VG pacers, should be easy to make a cheap shit exhaust with this. hope it will flow enough, otherwise some rb20 T3's will be adapted to them.

1 valiant diff disassembled and ready for parts to be thrown at it, and top pic is a 2 pinion fairlane LSD.

this is where most of my trouble/expense will be. will need bearings and shit. also the fairlane LSD is 28 spline, so ill either need to buy 25 spline cones to put in it, and redrill the axles to suit late val/ford stud pattern, or ill need to get some late val axles shortened and resplined to 28 spline. also CM drum backing plates will need to be reshaped to suit VG axle flange.
    oh and i left my old 4.11's out in the rain, so ill need to buy more.

diff expense so far - $60 for LSD.

depending on how quick everyone gets, i may have to go turbo. so above we have an EMS stinger v4 i bought at the bendigo swap meet a few years ago. cost me $120.. i shit you not! may need a repair though, as i havent been able to get it running yet.

have a few EA CFI injection setups i may be able to bodge up, all freebies.

a sard reg and duel stage boost controller. with compliments from RB30 POWER (thanks mate btw!!) cant remember how much i paid but they were fucking cheap.

so thats where im at atm.. without turbo shit, total cost to date approx $610
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    I protest basically everything and have you at $1300 already

Good work!!!!
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post

WTF?????

You can't do that to a VE!!!! CuNT. You made the Baby Jesus cry...

PS - how's the bonnet mould - want to sell it?

Edit - Cam if you do want to sell the 465 then please let me know, very keen.

Edit #2 - Good luck with the project! Watching with much interest
    Last edited by VE Safari; 26-12-10 at 01:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
    Wilful ignorance does though.

eyman, see the wrecked valiant thread on H6p, then you'll reliase why its a donor only car ;( shame since its body no1, and the first val i had on the road when i was 18!

the bonnet mould WAS perfect, but the cunt that towed it after the accident ripped it off (litterally) and hung it on the wall of the smash repair shop.. fuck i was livered when i saw that!
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Any bits you need towards this?

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

at this stage ill need:

4.11 pintara gears
    25spline lsd cones
    maybe a 600 vac sec holley
    engine gasket kit and id like to throw cam bearings at the 265 even though it doesnt really need them
    some sort of fan shround to mount a thermo
    tyres
    blackboard paint
    various gaskets/seals/bearings
    bog
    oh and hot cam, lifters, valve springs, and maybe roller rockers.
    thats what i can think of off the top of my head
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 26-12-10 at 02:52 PM.

just for eyman.. faggot in a camira didnt give way and turned right in front of me.

result:

Fuck me...

Is this the one with air con?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
    Wilful ignorance does though.

just for eyman.. faggot in a camira didnt give way and turned right in front of me.

result:

Fuck me, you would never pick it looking at the good side!

Very cool 13s for $1300 project BTW!

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Holy shit, how much bog are you planning to use?!

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_sandwich View Post
    Holy shit, how much bog are you planning to use?!
    He's not using that body.

153, level 2. The Library. With a snifter of brandy.
    I like this project and thoroughly endorse it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchypimp
    the crumbs are the best bits of the golden gaytimes

I also support and endorse this '13s for $1300' project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie256 View Post
    I hate being a nigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    "We never get that high tech jap stuff in here, should be no problem though" lol

is unplugging your matrix aaron_hogan's Avatar
    you need to watch Metal Skin again.

thanks for the replies. i love the car chase in metal skin, but cant stand watching the whole movie just to see it

now also on the shopping list, a torque converter off a 2.6L sigma (will make roughly 2,500rpm stally on a 4.1 falcon)

BW to BW tailshaft should be no where near 450 bucks. Just get one close enough from a wrecker and I paid $130 (I think) to shorten/balance

now also on the shopping list, a torque converter off a 2.6L sigma (will make roughly 2,500rpm stally on a 4.1 falcon)
    This will obiously work in the EA aswell?

do you know of any other factory stalls that will take it higher?

easy enough to shorten yourself, scribe a straight line along the length, use pipe cutter to cut the section out, carefully set up on blocks with scribed line aligned, and tack in at least 4 places, check for straightness and weld
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    BW to BW tailshaft should be no where near 450 bucks. Just get one close enough from a wrecker and I paid $130 (I think) to shorten/balance
    i probably didnt word that very good.. the borg warner 4speed conversion (minus tailshaft) was $450.. then id need a 727 yoke ($100+ new) and and then a shorten. so it would end up half the challenge $$ just in the box. bw 3speeds are free usually, and jmac can build me a tougher one for not alot.

Quote Originally Posted by RotorBoy View Post
    This will obiously work in the EA aswell?

do you know of any other factory stalls that will take it higher?
    im not sure bout EAs coz they ran a bw51.

google borg warner high stall. some of the Xx falcon guys reckon the 2.6 sigmas give about 2600rpm, and the 2L give about 4000rpm. then theres a few pommy cars like triumphs and rovers had em too.. according to wiki

I have a 2l converter here you can have
    List of cars goes here

thanks for the offer mate.. ill only be revving the engine to about 5500rpm though, so a 4k convertor is a little bit high.

i am on the lookout for a 2.6l convertor though

dangerous fugitive
    Thing to be aware of though - unlike practically all others, the valiants only have a flat 'paddle' for a flex plate. The ring gear for the starter motor on vals is actually welded to the convertor itself. That makes it harder/costlier to adapt other bw convertors for the job (wheras it is relatively a piece of piss to do amongst other different brands that utilised the bw autos)

About the best way I could describe the bw 35, bw 40 and bw 51 is that they are like the evolution of the same transmission. most of the 'consumables' (the bands, the clutch discs) are identical throughout. The later models (amongst other things) had bigger diameter main shafts, so you have to use them as matched sets with the drums/clutch assemblies as the holes through their centres is to suit said shaft diameters.

Later models also have extra support for the low/rev band servo/piston - a great idea because it's one of the first things to break in any bw auto that is given harsh treatment.

There's other minor differences, but in the simplest terms the go is to get your original car's bw35 take the output shaft, governor and bellhousing, and fit them into a later model casing and use all later model internals save for the output shaft etc (the ones that essentially need to be there to mate it to your engine, and thankfully they happen to not be parts that have any detrimental effect on the longevity)

They still aren't bulletproof, but you basically just make em as strong as you can and then configure the engine and driver accordingly. When the 4 speed autos came out on the fords, they initially had some reliability issues, and there were more than a few taxis retrofitted with the bw51 auto. Even if it was only the same longevity (and in the early days the 3 speed outlasted the 4. though I suspect it was driver abuse or something as it seemed only taxis this retrofit ever happened to), it was less than half the cost to reco each time.
    John McKenzie

Science flies people to the moon.
    Religion flies people into buildings.

hmm yes, i didnt think of that! fucks that idea then!

just bought this

cooler bro

and may have a contact on a couple of TD05 sooby turbos.

now just trying to decide whether to go blow through carb or EFI. good flowing injectors (ie around 500cc/m) are fucking expensive as...650 holley double pumpers!
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 01-01-11 at 08:23 PM.

dangerous fugitive
    It's probably no shock I'd personally suggest blowthrough - the manifold you have is fine for that, and it's pretty easy to tweak a holley for blowthrough.
    John McKenzie

Science flies people to the moon.
    Religion flies people into buildings.

Blow through

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    I like where you're going with this.

13s section?

Nar Best hissy fit of 2011 top ten
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Adelaide, if I'm not there I'm somewhere else
    GO THE VAL!! Ummmm.... wait... what?