Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elektra the Valiant - 13's for $1300 project

so i got a present on friday

yesterday and today i went to the oldies and cleaned up the old girl, as shes been used as a shed for other val parts for years.
    found a bloke that will do the floorpan cheaply for me (i think), so i started stripping out the interior and looking for rust.

worst spots

made a little pile in the corner of the shed for shit ill probably use on the build

the unlikely pair

the current powerhouse for rego purposes

so yeah the plan atm it to get the car fully rego'd as per original rules. will then convert to gas and claim the rebate so the car, rego and mods to date will cost basically nothing i just have to find a sympathetic installer (will do alot of it myself)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

cunting double post
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 09-01-11 at 04:54 PM.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    This is the first LPG contender. I'd like to know how you go getting the turbo DIY gas install certified. I had pondered this at times. What are you doing for a gearbox?
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

well ill have to find a gas installer that will let me do most of it myself. it wont be turbo'd until after the gas is put on. ive already got most/all the gas gear to go, i have the 4bbl manifold and the twin outlet exhaust manifold + exhaust.

best thing about having a car this old, is no emission laws to worry about, heaters, rearview mirrors, seatbelts etc were optional, so i can strip all that out and still be legal, unlike them crappy VN's EAs etc downside is because body panels are so hard to get for these now, id be fricken stupid to take the bracing out of everything. so ill probably end up the heaviest contender

i just need a holley baseplate, then ill put as much as i can together. then trailer it to the gas installer. i have to get it rego'd first, so thats the priority. then i can start sorting out where all the turbo stuff will go, mod tanks/lines etc for more flow then start tuning!

as for the auto, JMAC has kindly teamed up with me and is waiting on me to provide a valiant BW35, and an EA falcon BW51. he reckons he can make a decent auto out of them, and after following his posts for 10+ years.. i dont doubt him!

got another present in the mail today:

then i had a brain fart.. since the mixer is before the baseplate.. when its on boost and i back off, gas is likely to go through the blow off valve.
    looks like i might have to hook the blowoff valve to the exhaust to get the hektik dose flames out the exhaust lol

You after a 4BBL to 2BBL Carter baseplate? I think I have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
    Wilful ignorance does though.

thanks mate. i dont need it at this stage, but who knows how this project will end up!

is unplugging your matrix aaron_hogan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2JZR31 View Post
    This is the first declared LPG contender. I'd like to know how you go getting the turbo DIY gas install certified. I had pondered this at times.
    fixed.

Gas is a great idea on this build. Congrats. Honestly, an LPG system is not hard to install at home as long as all reasonable precautions are taken and you know what you are doing. In that regard I have no doubt MrMoparman does.

My tip as for diy installs is to avoid using a copper service line. All the problems with dodgy installs stem from people not doing a proper flare on the fittings nor testing for leaks. The flex braided service line isn't cheap but there is no reason you can't cut to size and screw on the fittings at home just as well as a certified installer. If anything, on your own car you will take much more care than some monkey just tek screwing things willy nilly or running hoses wherever. A little thought put into where you will run things will yield a neat looking result.

I will ask someone on Aus Rotary for the details of their gas installer mate. I am pretty sure they are in Bendigo, did 3/4 job at home then took it to be complianced. This might really help you out.

Aaron

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    as for the auto, JMAC has kindly teamed up with me and is waiting on me to provide a valiant BW35, and an EA falcon BW51. he reckons he can make a decent auto out of them, and after following his posts for 10+ years.. i dont doubt him!
    Looking forward to a 1500 word post on how this is done
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

updates?

not much happening atm. been trying to get my corolla ready for the great ocean road cruise in 2 weeks and blew way too much money on that.

elektra is on trailer waiting to go to my mates place for floorpan work.

removed the CM front end, needs a bit more work than i intended, just a few bushes and stuff.

jmac is still waiting on me for the auto's.

i just quit work and should get a payout so i can finish buying the shit i need to get everything done.
    hopefully if everything works out tomorrow, i should have a week between finishing at toyota and starting new job, so should be able to get some shit done in that time.

Where you off to Cam?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
    Wilful ignorance does though.

engineering/fabrication apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    engineering/fabrication apprentice
    Farkin aye!
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar

hopefully! my guess is 14.2 if i can find good tyres

so last weekend i took elektra over to a mates place for the rust repairs, and took a spare floorpan over yesterday (appologies for not attending the bbq aaron)

mate had already started stripping the areas back when i got there today. i removed the fuel line and handbrake cables to assist with floorpan fixing.

so we found a little bit more rust than i thought!

so due to massive time constraints we will be using the spare floorpan for the rear floorpan sections, then steel in a can, for the rest.

hell i might even decide to not register it, do the whole gas system myself, then maybe rego it later.

body should be done this weekend, paint maybe next weekend. on 2 weeks holiday after wednesday whilst changing jobs

Adelaide, if I'm not there I'm somewhere else
    You think you got rust...... lol. you'll be fine

yeah i knew i had rust.. the C pillars worry me though. weird coz the front end (sills, plenums, bottom of front gaurds) are spotless

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    What's behind you, doesn't matter!

dangerous fugitive
    That's 'mostly' fuck all rust. The C pillars - no worries there. The floorpans - sorta to be expected. It's usually because of a leaking windscreen seal but can also be related to rust/holes in teh plenum area too. So if they look 'perfect' I'd strongly suggest throwing on some small magnets (small and weak ones that 'barely' stick against bare clean metal, but won't stick when you place a few sheets of paper between them and the fridge or whatever. Then place them (without paper) onto the plenum - you might find it's mostly made of fibreglass or filler of some sort. If it isn't - massive win.

Forgot to ask - have you had a look at the chassis rail around the steering box? Any cracks? (if there is, hold off on a repair sleeve. Sometimes a better job can be done without them)
    John McKenzie

Science flies people to the moon.
    Religion flies people into buildings.

yeah the plenums are spotless, as is the steering box area! the windscreen pisses water, yet im fairly sure the windscreen area is tidy, but it rusted out the dash something chronic
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 28-01-11 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    What's behind you, doesn't matter!
    tell that to rotatr, brett stevens etc
    E36 M3 12.92 @ 108.64mph, N/A 3.0L

so old mate got a fair bit done on elekitra on the weekend, despite the heatwave.

body is not far of being ready for sanding and painting!

lovely new metal

Really wished mine looked that good finished Cammo....I was a tight ass and used flat sheet that I "shaped" to make my new floor...crap engineering skillz and a half assed concept of welding didnt stop me....underlay and carpet hide my sins...I did make sure it was all strong though...drilled and butt welded onto supports under the car etc..

Looking good man...subscribed...

only panel beater on the planet to come in on time.

good stuff.

so i may be out, had a cunting shit day today.

got woken up this morning by the missus to find the front and back of our place flooded again. turns out theres a storm water drain just behind our joint that cant handle quick heavy rain (3 times in 5 months) which then the excess water washes out the back of mine and my neighbours places. washes mulch into my storm drain and blocks the grille, then floods the back and front of my joint.

also the roof has started leaking alot worse than previously.. already had a roofie lined up, but now i have to repaint and maybe fix the plaster in the lounge room (again).

so then we went to cook lunch, and the stove has shat itself.

then i went to go to my oldies to drop off my tools, and the fucking landie caught on fire! got it out fairly quickly, but now have an insurance claim to sort out.. and im fucking itchy as fuck from the fire extinuisher powder in my face.

will have to get in contact with jmac soon to sort some shit out

Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 05-02-11 at 08:34 PM.

Shit man that's a pretty fucked day

What caused the landy to catch fire? Plastic fuel line rub through or something?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

havent had a real good look yet, but it looks electrical at this stage, from the starter motor loom.

Damn man, if you don't want to be in it anymore just say so, no need to make up an excuse.

Just how much rain caused that? Seems pretty fucked, I would say the council should do something, but I'm guessing they already did and that's the problem.

Like Jim said, what a fucked day.

dont get me wrong.. i wanna finish this project as much as i wanna root the shit outta natalie portman.. and i will continue to work on it as much as possible.. just a few more unforseen expenditures than usual! i have a worse reputation than shifty and allmtr for not finishing projects.. so im pretty keen!

that rain has been on and off the last 3 days, then early yesterday morning till about 9ish it got fairly heavy. the storm water drain flows ok it seems, it just cant keep up when it gets heavy.
    neighbour has been complaining about it for a bout 3 years apparently, and they havent done a thing.