Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Red Streak - 13's for $1300

The Red Streak - 13's for $1300

So this is our entry.
    Bog stock VN V6 auto with boot rust.

I swapped the HZ ute for it. Ute didn't sell on ebay twice (winning bidders dicked me around both times) so it was on it's way for scrap when a fella said "hey do you want to swap it for a VN?". Scrap value was about $100 so that's what I'm claiming the VN is worth.

Fully registered some time ago!

^
    |Light Weight Race

It's getting a diet.

I started doing this before the whole 13's for $1300 came about and I'm fucked if I'm putting all that shit back in there.

Original intention was a shit load of NOS but if you cunts decide NOS is out then I'll find a turbo that can go where the CAT used to.

So far it has cost:

$36 for a fan belt
    $100 for a set of 4.11's
    $90 for a mini spool from ebay I bought like 5 years ago, but I may just weld the diff.
    $200 for the nitrous kit (I think - may have been $150. Seriously don't remember). May be irrelevant if nitrous is not allowed.
    $30 for the hotdog
    $10 for the downpipe exhaust
    $195 for the stall converter (Guy was shitty haha his offsider fucked up the ad as it was meant to be $100 more.)
    $40 Corvette servo
    $50 carton of beer (EEPROM reprogram)
    $70 shift kit
    $150 extractors (I think?)
    some other fiddly shit I don't remember. (spark plugs/tek screws)

Running total: $950ish

**EDIT**
    Best time to date: 12.36@108 on NOS (Uncle) and 14.7@91 N/A (Jim).
    Last edited by Jim; 15-09-11 at 11:49 AM.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    way for scrap when a fella said "hey do you want to swap it for a VN?". Scrap value was about $100 so that's what I'm claiming the VN is worth.
    You had best go and drop the price of that mushroom by $100.00

mushroom no longer for sale. I ate it.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Fuck Jim, into the $500's , over-capitalising a bit there mate.
    Love the minor boot rust....

That's pretty good luck that the bloke pulled you up! I posted a link to a moo turbo kit in the 13's thread if your interested.

Fuck PF is awesome

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    No nitrous ya cheat
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

13s for $1300 with the turbo then 12s for $1450 with the NOS kit??

Quote Originally Posted by dirty_sandwich View Post
    That's pretty good luck that the bloke pulled you up! I posted a link to a moo turbo kit in the 13's thread if your interested.

Fuck PF is awesome
    Saw that! Doubt it'd come in under budget tho as he hasn't stated a price on it. Doubt he'd sell it for $600.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    13s for $1300 with the turbo then 12s for $1450 with the NOS kit??

That's my thought too. Or if it isnt eligable for the 13's for $1300 I'll just have to run 12's for $800
    Last edited by Jim; 26-12-10 at 07:40 PM.

yep

not convinced a supercharger from a 2.0L will pump the 10psi needed on a 3.8L. And $800 plus $550 = $1300 not to mention it still needs tyres and shit.

Surly a turbo set up would be better for that price?

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

shame about the bootrust as that looks like an otherwise half decent vn!!
    cut and polish the paint before you send it to nitrous nirvana
    2005 VZ SS 5.7L M6 Ute

This appeals to my interests.
    I have a brand new china t3/t4 turbo sitting on my bookshelf for this if you want? Can confirm specs and get photos if you're interested. Dunno what it's worth but I don't really have much use for it.

PM sent.
    Jay also has the megasquirt I sold him bloody ages ago he's offered to sell me back so the ECU problem may have been solved changed.

It looks ok in photos but the paint is fucked and the driver's door is dented where it has been opened into the guard at some stage. But yeah, it'll get a cleanup.

Uncle (Steamboat) is going to be co-piloting and co-building but he's on holidays at the moment.
    Last edited by Jim; 27-12-10 at 08:58 AM.

fuck this double posting shit
    Last edited by Jim; 27-12-10 at 08:57 AM.

Does Uncle know he's co-piloting and co-building?

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

actually the whole thing was his suggestion! LOL
    I started early because he went on holidays.

So how much is the turbo where the cat was going to cost?

dunno, haven't heard from TUFF yet. That's the project killer cost there. Have seen some dodgey chinese T4 clones with internal gate on ebay for less than $400 so it's still a possibility.

do you still have to wrx turbos you had a couple of years ago?

and possibility? http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/...owtopic=650807 its a turbo and manifold so halve the cost and you get a slightly smokey $75 turbo
    Last edited by Jay_G; 27-12-10 at 09:34 AM.
    yep

no, sold them a few years back...

You'll need a return pump,yeah?

Yeah i was thinking that, the VDO pumps are >$200

Cool project base
    2JZ KE20 Corolla 7.97 @ 178
    SR20DET Gemini 8.70 @ 157
    1UZFET KE20 Corolla 9.60 @ 140
    -------------------------
    http://www.oke020.com

7.xx is no longer a challenge (sort of)

http://www.clevelandexhaust.com.au

wonder how long a fuel pump would last with hot oil.
    other thought was a holden oil pump on a washer motor

stupid idea, will a second power steering pump work somehow if you could remove the reservoir and use the reservoir feed as the suction part?? or the Holden oil pump could be a lot better, and use a old cordless drill from a garage sale and hook it up to the 12v. Ghetto.
    yep

also no reason why the turbo cant use a stand alone oiling system like when jet boys make stuff out of them
    2JZ KE20 Corolla 7.97 @ 178
    SR20DET Gemini 8.70 @ 157
    1UZFET KE20 Corolla 9.60 @ 140
    -------------------------
    http://www.oke020.com

7.xx is no longer a challenge (sort of)

http://www.clevelandexhaust.com.au

This thing looks slow from my rear view mirror!

I'm struggling to see a turbo setup coming in under budget. Oil control and plumbing makes the under car setup too expensive. If you could get a flange plate cheap enough a single bank log manifold turbo setup from the drivers with the exhaust going out the passenger side could work but won't leave much money for fuel control. Tuning a megasquirt from scratch without a dyno or road time would be painful and still pushing the budget. Might be able to do it with a draw through holley on that setup.

it's do-able but yeah it'll be close to the wire.
    hah, could disconnect the PS and use the pump as the scavenge and plumb it back into the sump wouldn't last long before the pump failed from being under vacuum all the time I would guess but should be fine for a drag car. Wonder if it would kill the turbo due to sucking it dry of oil all the time.

high mount would definately be cheaper and easier. plenty of room in the v6 engine bay too.

I have two stock RB20DET intercoolers under the bench I got for nix so they will be roped into the project build.

Maybe I should change to the wagon. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/bolt-turbo-ki...item4aa7592520 would leave $300 for fueling with this "kit" but more importantly I can reverse the exhaust manifolds and use the afm pre turbo to help with fuel with a cheaper more DIY setup.

So was there any mechanical differences between the later ecotecs other than ECU and shit? Were the heads, cam and manifolds different or was all the power gains all from the ECU?