Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 13's for $1300. VN of FURY

Only just saw this. Looks alot like my old car. Looking forward to seeing is run.

Alright guys and girls, Its been a while so i thought i would let you know whats been going on.

During a bit of testing on a private test track (wink) we had a few issues. After the motor overheated multiple times it started to choof like a train out the left hand rocker cover.

The result: One blown head gasket.

So after believing that we had melted a piston it was time to visit the local wrecker for a new donk. A hundred dollars later we were back on track.

The radiator was sent off for a check-up. We were informed that the reason the motor got cooked was because the radiator was 100% blocked. its was cleaned and given a lick of paint. 30 bucks. Bargain

We soon realised that the motor wouldn't fit itself so we got throwing spanners and ripped the deceased donk out.

Once we switched over a couple of bits from one motor to the other it was time for a refit.

In a matter of minutes it went from

STOCK MOTOR

TO

DRAG MOTOR

So with a fresh motor installed we will do a bit of final testing with the wideband tomorrow and fingers crossed we should hit the track this Wednesday.

We have borrowed a set of drag radials for the big day.

As always the first post will be updated with the latest build tally.
    Last edited by 2JLUX; 14-02-11 at 11:55 PM.

that stock motor wasn't stock, it has an ATI balancer!!
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

BAM

Alright Guys and Gals. First (and only) pass 13.953 @ 99.88mph

The car went though scruteneering no trouble. The dude was pretty blown away with our setup. The car went out with a tiny burnout so we didnt break an axle first time out. We left the car in D for drag and stalled it up to about 1200rpm before letting it go.

That was unfortunately the only pass we made as the car developed a oil leak out of the dip stick and the christmas tree overlord deemed the car unsafe for racing. Have no fear as the car will return next weeking with all the leaks repaired and a more gung-ho driving style with hopes to slash the times dramatically.

Here are some photos for proof.

The car looked relatively tough with the fat radials on.

We were happy with the diet the car went through and it didn't cost a thing.

1310kg to 1199kg (with 3/4 tank of BP's finest).

Video to be uploaded shortly. Plus we got the win against the BA Falcon.

13.95 = Mission accomplished.
    Last edited by 2JLUX; 16-02-11 at 11:48 PM.

Adelaide, if I'm not there I'm somewhere else
    Good work mate! Top of the class ATM!

BAM! indeed. Where is the oil leak from? Is the dipstick loose or cracked?

Adelaide, if I'm not there I'm somewhere else
    Pressurised sump, major blowby. Needs to make a catch can...

Excellent
    Top work guys!
    Who owns the scales? Or were they at the track?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

awesome work!!!
    1993 Xtra Cab Flat Brim Edition
    Project 'just run a fucking 10 you cunt'
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67225961
    www.millerchassis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Excellent
    Top work guys!
    Who owns the scales? Or were they at the track?
    Looks like track scales. I presume that's without driver. Not a bad weight reduction though.

Awesome times guys, first in the 13's! Got to be happy with that. Nice pictures too. That's what we'll need for the magazine article.

So how much boost was it running? and I presume you left it in third gear, not fourth.

From experience a good way to launch one of these is to hold the footbrake (pump pedal a couple times) and handbrake at the same time while boosting it up, then release both at the same time.

Like this

Also, disconnecting the thermofans just prior to the run (you can either use the connector next to the fans or rig up a switch) will gain you about 2-tenths. I shit you not. I used to do this all the time and then reconnect it on the return road.

Well done.

^^^^

Fuck they were the days, Scott.
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Now with more ebay parts. 2JZR31's Avatar
    Congrats. This has been my favorite car in the challenge so far. You guys deserve the the first 13

Also I was talking to a commodore nerd last night who said there is some kind of not so easy to spot PCV pipes or something which you need to change when you boost one of these or you will pressurize the sump. Do you guys know what he is talking about? If not this might explain your oil leak.
    Last edited by 2JZR31; 17-02-11 at 07:26 AM.
    10.83 @ 125

Quickest stock exhaust manifold stud 2JZ in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Some conclusions empirically were that a large protruding ridge like a prolapsed arsehole around the runner was largely beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by 2rismo View Post
    ^^^^

Fuck they were the days, Scott.
    Yep, sure were. That's my only regret about leaving Sydney - there's no race track down here.

So many cool/funny moments.

One of the best was when some guy in a R33 Skyline (no it wasn't Adrian) asked me to swap positions with the guy behind me, "because it wouldn't be fair to race a VN V6 up against a turbocharged Skyline". He thought I'd get embarrassed by the awesome power of the Skyline. I elected to hold my position and let's just say the VN wasn't the one that was embarrassed at the other end of the track.

Well done mate.

If only we had a track here in Adelaide, I’m sure the Adelaide crew would be all over this challenge.

Of course someone from SA could still participate, however considering that a trip to Heathcote from here – towing the challenge car – would probably be close to $1000 alone (fuel, food accommodation, trailer), it doesn’t make much sense! Especially considering that most 13’s for $1300 cars will probably need 2+ trips to the track before they reach full potential.

Get that catch can on there ASAP! (and I expect it to be a combination of garden hose and a big milo tin at best – anything more is just not in the spirit of the challenge)
    Adjustable cam gears for 1FZ-FE now ready for sale - 10 degrees advance/10 degrees retard. Suitable for all variants of 1FZ-FE.

(adjustable scissor gear for changing separation angle between the intake and exhaust cams coming soon)

International sales welcome - PM me for pricing.

Top work!

While you may have already been told/already done it, the PCV pipe that runs from the throttle body (towards the front of the car) to the inlet manifold below it needs to be disconnected. Simply put a breather filter on the manifold side and put one of those block off bungs on the throttle body

Quote Originally Posted by [TUFFVQ] View Post
    Top work!

While you may have already been told/already done it, the PCV pipe that runs from the throttle body (towards the front of the car) to the inlet manifold below it needs to be disconnected. Simply put a breather filter on the manifold side and put one of those block off bungs on the throttle body
    Exactly what I did with V6 Vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrown View Post
    Well done mate.

If only we had a track here in Adelaide, Im sure the Adelaide crew would be all over this challenge.

Of course someone from SA could still participate, however considering that a trip to Heathcote from here towing the challenge car would probably be close to $1000 alone (fuel, food accommodation, trailer), it doesnt make much sense! Especially considering that most 13s for $1300 cars will probably need 2+ trips to the track before they reach full potential.

Get that catch can on there ASAP! (and I expect it to be a combination of garden hose and a big milo tin at best anything more is just not in the spirit of the challenge)
    Yeah the towing would cost a bit, but at least that's not part of the $1300 cost. It's shit that you guys don't have a track.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Fuck, I missed this.

Awesome, well done!
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Hell yes, on the money first pass! congrats
    2JZ KE20 Corolla 7.97 @ 178
    SR20DET Gemini 8.70 @ 157
    1UZFET KE20 Corolla 9.60 @ 140
    -------------------------
    http://www.oke020.com

7.xx is no longer a challenge (sort of)

http://www.clevelandexhaust.com.au

Well done!! Tops work.

S

Congrats!!!!! it's a close one, but it's there, so who cares? cheers! i'll drink to that!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    More rabbit less turtle!

"No new car will ever be better for the environment than an old car that already exists. Unless that old car is a left-wheel drive communist shitbox made of uranium, asbestos and luekemia", oioioioioi

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all", god
    http://www.Tutter.net

Thanks for all the positive feeback.

We're going to try and get back to the drags next week if we get the oil leak fixed in time.

It was a very weak launch, no stall at all, will be a lot more aggressive next time.

It was running 9psi and 10:1 afr's.The boost is going to get wound up to lean it out a bit.

So hopefully mid to low 13s next time

Awesome, awesome work guys. I've always liked a boosted 3.8, and this thing made me laugh. If I ever catch up with you I'm def shouting a beer.
    Guys, come on stop that. Stop rolling my whale into the ocean. .

awesome result!
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

WA pride!
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.

BOOM

Another shot at the strip netted us a much better result. With a kung-fu grip on the handbrake and both pedals mashed to the floor we got a much better launch this time around.

We ended up getting a couple of passes around the 13.60 , so the car is mighty consistent.

We will have to put some of the interior back in for next time as one of the new scrutineer's went on a power trip about it being a "street meet" so the car should have all the standard trip in place. We raced the car last week in the same state with no trouble what so ever.

Hopefully during the week we can up the boost a bit and give it a couple more runs next week.

Stay tuned sports fans.

fucking sweet!
    MY06 RColt

Excellent work!!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Brobdingnagian Member Mighty Mouse's Avatar
    with it now being fairly consistent (great work BTW) will be interesting to see how much of a real world difference there is w/stripped out interior vs full interior.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JLUX View Post
    BOOM

Another shot at the strip netted us a much better result. With a kung-fu grip on the handbrake and both pedals mashed to the floor we got a much better launch this time around.

We ended up getting a couple of passes around the 13.60 , so the car is mighty consistent.

We will have to put some of the interior back in for next time as one of the new scrutineer's went on a power trip about it being a "street meet" so the car should have all the standard trip in place. We raced the car last week in the same state with no trouble what so ever.

Hopefully during the week we can up the boost a bit and give it a couple more runs next week.

Stay tuned sports fans.

Nice pass, but tell the scrutineer to eat a bag of dicks, it's a fucking race track!

Is the car even registered?

I told you that handbrake trick works well.