Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: rules

no one ever, is to blame Howard Jones's Avatar

rules

Objective - To buy & build a car that will do a 13.99 second pass down the 1/4 mile drag strip for Aus$1300 or less.

Price - Aus$1300 or cheaper as a total cost is the desired goal, penalty’s will be applied if you go over this amount. this will apply if you go over by your own admission, if your fellow competitors make a complaint to the judge, or if the judge deems you to be taking the piss.

Safety - Brakes, brake lines, brake fluid, brake pads, etc, are all free from any costings. Safety is the priority here and the car must have good brakes on each wheel. A working handbrake is required. Driver's seat is cost-free and must be properly mounted. Seat belts are cost-free and must be in good condition, no fraying, etc, and the mounts & brackets must be rust-free and solid. Steering & associated mechanisms are also cost-free and expected to be in excellent condition. A solidly-mounted fire extinguisher with drivers reach must be fitted and it is cost-free. Tyres must be road-legal or if racing tyres be at least minimum manufacturers allowable tread depth, tyres are not included in your build cost. The drag-strip apparel safety rules must be followed but as a minimum you are also required to wear a helmet and long clothes or race suit while driving. Once again no safety equipment counts towards your total cost

Costing free stuff - We all have a bunch of stuff lying around our sheds and so would be able to claim "I have a free engine" and so on, but we have to have a general costing for no-purchased engines. Paint and damage/rust repairs are cost-free.
    update: Weight based costings removed due to public demand. All free items, both parts and cars must be declared by the builder and a fair market value provided, if other competitors feel the declared price is unfair they can lodge a complaint with the judge who will review

Other freebie stuff, like wheels and parts so on have a nominal cost and should be declared by the competitor, ie if you have a spare rb26dett laying around go fuck yourself, but if you have a spare turbocharger and you can prove that second hand its worth $100 then its worth $100. If you have however managed to buy a car and or parts at an extremely low cost and you can provide real bullet proof evidence of this then you gain, and we will accept it.

Modifications - They are expected. Standard cars can't be entered because that's cheating and very un-PF. You can remove anything you like from the car, but it must appear roadworthy. Seats (apart from the drivers seat) are removable. Trim, sound deadening, hood lining, etc, may be removed. All removed parts may be sold to recoup costs but you can't reduce the build price with the parts sold. The car however does not need to be registered. NOS is encouraged for both the cars and the drivers.

Scoring & classes - Two classes; naturally aspirated, and forced induction, but only one prize given out. There is a factoring system we've worked out to see who spent their money the most wisely and did the best job. The winner is determined by a super-secret equation including vehicle age, general fuckedupness, reliability of country of origin, unlikelihood of success, and the organisers whim as determined by totally unscientific, and almost certainly totally unfair, pit-side opinion and chitchat.

There's also the people's choice award for the most popular car.

General - The cars must appear to be road-registrable and if they are registered that is also cost-free. Judges are the admins and mods from PF, and such are completely corruptible. Times must be obtained at an official drag strip and also be proven with an official copy of the run. All the runs must be in by the end of April 2011 for judging.

Penalty’s - if you go over the $1300 limit either by your own admission or the ruling of the Supreme Judge Lord Sherwood the Great of the Coast of Gold. If you admit to going over budget then for every Aus$100 over Aus$1300 you lose one tenth of a second. If you do not admit and are called out, you lose 2 tenths per $100. Lowest total ET is the winner.

Competitor complaints - this is called 13's for $1300 not 13's for whatever you can afford as long as its close to $1300. if a competitor feels another competitor is taking the piss then you can register a private complaint to the judge who will review the situation. Only fellow competitors are allowed to complain, if your an arm chair racer, go fuck yourself

Prize, if you win you will receive the Performanceforums Niggerdick Ashtray of Glory, the shaft of which, will forever be engraved with your name, your ownership of this awesome prize will be for 12 months until the competition is repeated again, cars that have previously competed can not enter next year.

tl;dr
    Fuck your rules.
    I'm running a 14.00.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Honestly, even though noone will care what I think, I think those rules are shit. Especially the ones about what a car/motor is supposed to be worth based on what it weighs/how big it is. By that logic an SR20 is worth less than an Astron 2.6L shitheap and a Mightyboy is worth far more than a Cressida. What a crock of shit.

Free safety shit is a good idea though.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Honestly, even though noone will care what I think, I think those rules are shit. Especially the ones about what a car/motor is supposed to be worth based on what it weighs/how big it is. By that logic an SR20 is worth less than an Astron 2.6L shitheap and a Mightyboy is worth far more than a Cressida. What a crock of shit.
    Read it more carefully - that's only for freebee's.
    The reasoning behind it is that a car with a big engine should do the time easily so won't need much spent on it. A small engine has to work harder so the builder will have to spend his/her money wisely to get the performance though with a lighter car it's easier than with a big car .... so it (should) balance itself.

Thats only for free stuff. Pay for it and its down to the $$$ value.

Its an idea to stop people basically saying "well i have this here LS1 in my garage already, so thats $0"
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Yeah so I wonder whats going to happen...

Q: Did you get that Cressida and Astron motor free?
    A: No, I bought them for an accepted market value of $50 each.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Yeah so I wonder whats going to happen...

Q: Did you get that Cressida and Astron motor free?
    A: No, I bought them for an accepted market value of $50 each.
    Again, read the rules - that is okay but you have to be able to prove it.

Meh
    Ooh, I forgot to add that there's no bikes allowed (cars only) and YOU MIGHT BE CORDED!

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Again, read the rules - that is okay but you have to be able to prove it.
    My theoretical "legal" 13s for $1300 shitheap.

I was given an auto MA70 supra and a 2JZ for free from my girlfriend.

An MA70 supra weighs 1595kg so its worth $405.
    A 2JZ is 3L so its worth $300.
    I bought a stock A340e tranny at market value of $80
    I had a bucket random factory JZA70 bits that I will list up as I use them, theyre worth fuck all.
    So far its up to $785.
    Victory is mine.

Obviously thats an exagaration but any "rule" that can be skewed like that is fucked. I reckon everything argued should be valued by ebay.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 10-01-11 at 06:47 PM.

Meh
    So do it and on behalf of the PF Mods team, go eat a di ....... um ... good luck.

well what do you suguest mate?

we need some fucking rules or else its a free for all, if anyones got a better idea let me know

if you guys dont want rules then thats fine too, but its just going to turn into an unorganised shit fight and i wont be a part of it

and when the peanut gallery votes that two VN's and an EA beat you on class you're going to look a right tit.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Ebay valuations would make more sense

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    and when the peanut gallery votes that two VN's and an EA beat you on class you're going to look a right tit.
    Im not actually doing that, it was an example using shit in front of me.

so your build is a dream build. Your example is therefore a dream example.
    Chewbacca is a Wookie. He lives on Endor. Ewoks also live on Endor. This makes no sense.
    Two VN's and a EA have beaten you in the real world already.

Oh, so did a handivan and a rusty valiant

Now I've seen the trophy I don't want to win!

Quote Originally Posted by HoonBoy View Post
    Now I've seen the trophy I don't want to win!
    The Performanceforums Niggerdick Ashtray of Glory is awesome!

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Vettel View Post
    The Performanceforums Niggerdick Ashtray of Glory is awesome!
    It's an ashtray??

Rules seem fair enough. Good that the safety gear is not included in budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

No way I'm smoking that ashtray.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Shit I'm over the 1300 on the gifted body and motor. . . .

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar
    love the write up.

although this does not effect me, the displacement and weight pricing system is pretty up shit though. should be more age hp ect
    the heavier the car the slower it will be so light cars should cost more.(cunts with free heavy cars are being penalised twice) and as for engines. the 253 i am running is the biggest motor in the comp. (and prob the oldest (def oldest technology) and lowest factory horsepower) people will literally give YOU a carton of beer to remove a 253 from thier garage! not that alot of the motors in this comp are any different though
    Last edited by Panda I give no fuck; 10-01-11 at 07:17 PM.

the other option is if something is gifted we get the member to give a fair market price, and if they take the piss and other comptetitors complain then they get owned

my VN weighs 1310. since it hasn't been over a weighbridge, and I added a hose clamp, I'm sure it still weighs 1310

is unplugging your matrix aaron_hogan's Avatar
    Rules duly noted. No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Shit I'm over the 1300 on the gifted body and motor. . . .
    You don't have a thread so you can't comment. Bloody armchair racer!

Rules are there, noted and zero complaints. I think most of us are just going to build shit for fun.
    Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar
    rules are a very good base for when this (hopefully) becomes an annual circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Vettel View Post
    the other option is if something is gifted we get the member to give a fair market price, and if they take the piss and other comptetitors complain then they get owned
    This FTW

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato View Post
    Rules are there, noted and zero complaints. I think most of us are just going to build shit for fun.
    exactly right

I was already building this thing for no reason other than to see how fast it can go before it blows up long before this challenge was announced. hopefully lots of fun to be had!