Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,061 of 1061

Thread: Porsche 944 turbo road to racecar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicevo View Post
    Oooo.... that's about 45mins away from me....
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

After sleeping on this. It's cheap arse Americans.... We don't have much of a problem with freezing engines in Australia, but other countries do. I'll bet, that is the root cause of the cracks, a lack of anti freeze.

It was one of those things the American 928 owners were anal about, and applies equally to the 944 but one wonders if the cheaper Porsche falls into the hands of less discerning owners who give no fucks....eventually the neglected car is bought by a Porsche engine workshop. Who remove the engine and wreck the rest. The engine kicks around under a bench till someone in Australia needs an engine built....because they didn't supply a donor engine.

As for checking for such damage. from my time on the 928 forum I don't recall any block failures from freezing, so it wouldn't be something I'd be concerned about. Timing belt failures, yes, and torque tube clamp creep/engine thrust bearing failures, yes, corroded head gaskets, yes, but not cracked blocks from freezing.
    " Money is for those without skills"

But to me testing the block would be standard practice.

I know it's not in the same league, but my old shitty L series blocks I used were always checked for cracking before being built and sonic tested to see how big we could go if they were going to be bored out.

I hope you can get something back out if the engine builder for not checking what a lot of people would consider basic prep.

Really feel for you with the time and dollars you have invested in this car, and hope you can come back to have another crack in the future.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    That's just fucked. Gutted for you Pat.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Go fuck yourself cunts you to fatboy you cunts wanna bring up wifes as usual im just defending myself.
    Then you all get all teary gang up and attack like a bunch of lebbos that see an open oppertunity pretty
    much a bunch of gutless cunts that think like sheep. And if he is a ugly cunt and has a looker than he must have
    lots of $$$$ which speaks for itself. So as I said well and truly get fucked cunts.

this thread makes me believe in curses! feel for you mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    After sleeping on this. It's cheap arse Americans.... We don't have much of a problem with freezing engines in Australia, but other countries do. I'll bet, that is the root cause of the cracks, a lack of anti freeze.

It was one of those things the American 928 owners were anal about, and applies equally to the 944 but one wonders if the cheaper Porsche falls into the hands of less discerning owners who give no fucks....eventually the neglected car is bought by a Porsche engine workshop. Who remove the engine and wreck the rest. The engine kicks around under a bench till someone in Australia needs an engine built....because they didn't supply a donor engine.

As for checking for such damage. from my time on the 928 forum I don't recall any block failures from freezing, so it wouldn't be something I'd be concerned about. Timing belt failures, yes, and torque tube clamp creep/engine thrust bearing failures, yes, corroded head gaskets, yes, but not cracked blocks from freezing.
    Nothing to do with over ~3x the standard power output? Even though the boost was only 16psi or whatever, boost is only a measure of restriction. 600hp is still 600hp worth of load on the motor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

This sort of shit drove me away from racing after spending many tens of thousands so I feel for you. In the end we broke it all up and parted it out and got a small percentage of what we had spent back. You never go into motor sport expecting anything but a money pit but stupid stuff like this is over and beyond the normal expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Nothing to do with over ~3x the standard power output? Even though the boost was only 16psi or whatever, boost is only a measure of restriction. 600hp is still 600hp worth of load on the motor.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    From what I see of the 928 engine, I wouldn't consider that the slightest issue at all.

A 3.2 litre 4 valve per cylinder engine will produce 600hp ( I mean if you had a 3.2 litre RB or JZ you would want that sort of output) relatively easily and the Porsche bottom end is more than capable of withstanding the forces involved. We are seeing with the 928 engine 1000 rwhp on essentialy stock 5 litre engines...
    " Money is for those without skills"

That's the problem with using old Alu blocks. You have no idea of the history. I started the build with this motor 10 years ago but it got shoved to the back burner as I dealt with other motors. I had invested a fair bit of cabbage on this block and head even back then. So at the end of 2015 I decided to finish it. It got out of hand and the builder tried to design in as much preventative engineering into it so that we'd have decent longevity. (Inject Irony here) The builder did apparently have it crack tested and water pressure tested but as the brief wasn't to deliver a fully built, tested & run in motor, then it wasn't put under pressure oil wise. So in reality how can a builder ever be held accountable if they don't actually sell you a fully built (inc intake, exhaust, ECU) tested on dyno, motor? I don't know when he crack tested it. I have invoices showing this from back in 2007. I believe he had it tested for water pressure more recently. Add that it was bored slightly. 104 - 105mm, it has had large headstuds installed and a Timesert type thing installed inside there. Deckplated too. However he said that the process of press fitting the deckplate doesn't require much force. Add to that the motor is on solid engine mounts. Why did the crack in the other side of the motor suddenly happen and we had hardly even done 1 lap and it wasn't at full noise. Maybe this thing was just going to continue to crack all over. Still, you'd have thought that it would have shown up somewhere in the 10 years it took to be finished and delivered.

Massive shame for a number of reasons. Apart from cubic dollars on my part and never driving the thing, it just started to show some promise as far as an efficient motor goes. 500whp @ 10psi is strong in anyone's book. Pretty much all the competitors at WTAC run 25psi+ 'gate springs and use 35psi as their boost base. Just would have been fun to see what it could do. Not sure about a .28 but I reckon there was a .29 in it. Will probably never know.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 13-10-17 at 06:41 PM.

Commiserations old son

Grab some scotch

Smash it down

Throw the feet up and yell KUNT lousy

Least she didn't burn down to the cage

Everything can be fixed
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Thanks all for the kind words of support.

I'm working with the builder and people here to see what we can come up with. At this stage we can't lay blame at anything without having a closer look.
    Possibly treating a 25+ year old block to Nikasil treatment may have affected the metallurgy of the block? This is the first one that he has done like this.

Back to the Scotch...