Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1061

Thread: Porsche 944 turbo road to racecar.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Hrmm...this was an unintended bad pun.
    Lol...please no puns..I can't take it!

Thanks guys. Yes figures are nice at that sort of boost. Such a different beast compared to pretty much all our competitors. Also the manual gearbag has it's limitations. So with that in mind, we want low to mid range more than all up top. Also we don't really want to wind this stock gearbag out stupidly beyond where it was designed to run. As mentioned, we've probably never even run 500hp to the treads at previous WTAC's so having this extra grunt should help somewhat. It's just how much ring rust will be evident having done no driving in this car really since 2014. Having said that, Paul has been cutting laps in the Karts and is in some pretty good form so hopefully some of that will translate. Could all be up to the 1st session on Friday the way the weather is looking.

Good luck, and try and get as many laps as you can. Wind it right up for the last run just for shits and giggles.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Well did the 5 hour round trip to Wakey today to cut only 2-3 laps. In fact it was longer than 5 hours due to big accident and being diverted through Bowral. Anyway, the good news is no leaks. No overheating. No fires. Nada! Very pleased with that. Unfortunately we had a recurrence of the crank ref sync issue today and we just decided to cut our losses and drive back to Sydney to sort it out once and for all. Made new mount and repositioned the sensor and also replaced sensor with something more efficient. Apparently it's all happy now. Off to SMP tomorrow for hopefully a few sighter laps. Fingers crossed we have no more problems and can just enjoy the event.

Good, better issues today than tomorrow...
    " Money is for those without skills"

Exactly. Pisser to have to drive that far but I'd do it again to only have the one issue and it's now fixed. Wish we'd had more time up our sleeves. Also wish we'd had the money / time to do the new Aero package. But it is what it is. Just want to get it out there and not have to chase problems the whole event. If we have a clear go and Paul is comfortable I think we can do a .29 but perhaps a .28 will be needed this year.

All the best! Great to see that you'll make it this year.

Thanks mate. Appreciate it.

Sorry to see what just happened mate.
    Hopefully not the end of the weekend for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Looks like zero
    Anyway fuck the RS its a ford so it will just fall apart.
    The laugh is on you clowns.

Yup...Unfortunately so. Just glad Paul is ok. Flames coming into cabin can't be nice. Did get some smoke inhalation but not as bad as Chris Alexander's 32!
    Car is ok. I think the rest of the motor is ok. Block...not so much. Reason. New crack opened up on the header side. Oil pissed onto headers. Managed a couple of aborted laps at WP yesterday. Less than 1 lap today.
    How good is Motorsport...

No words pat

Fuck.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Burn it.

Start some other sport.

Fucken hell. I'll take that back and glad no major sausage or personal injuries
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

So sorry to hear.

You just seem to not be able to take a trick with this car.

I know with race engines it's generally a starter warranty, but if the builder supplied the block any chance to get something back from him?

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear

It's really hard to put into words let alone $$$ how much these meagre few laps cost. It's so draining and numbing. Of course thank God Paul got out unscathed. We saw him come down the straight and the thing looked like it was blowing quite a bit of blue smoke. I thought, that's a bit of oil on the headers perhaps from the previous leak. We had only just replaced one of the whole Wastegates after a clamp just decided to let go. So I'd just come back from Rocket having paid $460 for a clamp..as you can't buy said clamp or at least they won't sell it to you. So a new 'gate was purchased and the new $460 clamp was put into place again. Paul goes out. We see smoke. He said by T2 the car is on fire and he's driving from one flaggie / firey post to the next looking for someone or just an extinguisher. Nothing. So cut across from T4 over to another personless, extinguisher-less post. Just kept going to pit lane and that's when they doused it. Had he just left it on the track and waited it would have burned to the ground. He was pretty upset for his own sake and on my behalf. In the washup as we're cleaning the car CAMS officials come over and start having a go at him. "It's only a practice day mate. What happened to your system?" Paul didn't use the inboard system as it wasn't going to stop the fire up front. As it turned out, there's not a ton of damage but of course the block is toast and it made a mess of some things. I'm still paying bills that have yet to be sent. So rewarding.

Back to shop. Put on blocks. Cover....

Long time lurker, but was hoping this would all work out for you. Sorry mate, really sorry
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

No words.
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Fuck, sorry to hear.

I had a niggling feeling that the coolant crack wasnt a good sign for the rest of the block, but I was hoping it'd all hold together

Very sorry to hear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Yeah I guess I thought it might have been an isolated case of a stress fracture for want of a better word, created by a single event on that side of the block. But it makes sense that there were more.
    Problem may also be just too much of a gamble with such old Alu blocks.

Fark Pat sorry to hear bud.

Are these bored significantly? It's 3.2litre now yeah? So much bad luck :-(

Feel for you.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    It's really hard to put into words let alone $$$ how much these meagre few laps cost. It's so draining and numbing. Of course thank God Paul got out unscathed. We saw him come down the straight and the thing looked like it was blowing quite a bit of blue smoke. I thought, that's a bit of oil on the headers perhaps from the previous leak. We had only just replaced one of the whole Wastegates after a clamp just decided to let go. So I'd just come back from Rocket having paid $460 for a clamp..as you can't buy said clamp or at least they won't sell it to you. So a new 'gate was purchased and the new $460 clamp was put into place again. Paul goes out. We see smoke. He said by T2 the car is on fire and he's driving from one flaggie / firey post to the next looking for someone or just an extinguisher. Nothing. So cut across from T4 over to another personless, extinguisher-less post. Just kept going to pit lane and that's when they doused it. Had he just left it on the track and waited it would have burned to the ground. He was pretty upset for his own sake and on my behalf. In the washup as we're cleaning the car CAMS officials come over and start having a go at him. "It's only a practice day mate. What happened to your system?" Paul didn't use the inboard system as it wasn't going to stop the fire up front. As it turned out, there's not a ton of damage but of course the block is toast and it made a mess of some things. I'm still paying bills that have yet to be sent. So rewarding.

Back to shop. Put on blocks. Cover....
    Most of the flag points were not manned today due to lack of interest and or not enough bodies to "VOLUNTEER" for every flag point
    They were merely "observers" due to lack of numbers of VOLUNTEERS.
    None of us "Volunteers" get fuck all for our time nor a THANK YOU most years. We do i t for the love.
    Its a long day out there in the elements with very little return most times...some of us even cop the wrath of drivers for things that are wayyyy out of our control.
    Being only a practice session (so to speak) numbers were even lower. Thats why a number of points were unmannned/no extenguisher/ or someone to radio it in for a quicker response.
    Shit that this happened to you either way. No excuses..but I thought you shouls see it from another point of view either way.
    Last edited by evo-gsr; 12-10-17 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Looks like zero
    Anyway fuck the RS its a ford so it will just fall apart.
    The laugh is on you clowns.

So sorry for you Pat, to have spent and done so much, and now this....

Take some time out, lick your wounds, salvage what you can from this engine into a basic 2.5 litre and get behind the wheel and sprint it, use it and get to love the beast again.
    " Money is for those without skills"

For a fresh engine build some questions to be asked of the builder I imagine? Like why wasn't the block x-rayed if this was likely? And if it was unexpected WTF happened?

Really sorry to hear it ended this way after the grind you put in
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Quote Originally Posted by evo-gsr View Post
    Most of the flag points were not manned today due to lack of interest and or not enough bodies to "VOLUNTEER" for every flag point
    They were merely "observers" due to lack of numbers of VOLUNTEERS.
    None of us "Volunteers" get fuck all for our time nor a THANK YOU most years. We do i t for the love.
    Its a long day out there in the elements with very little return most times...some of us even cop the wrath of drivers for things that are wayyyy out of our control.
    Being only a practice session (so to speak) numbers were even lower. Thats why a number of points were unmannned/no extenguisher/ or someone to radio it in for a quicker response.
    Shit that this happened to you either way. No excuses..but I thought you shouls see it from another point of view either way.
    In no way are we bagging the volunteers. Nor CAMS really. It was just the somewhat heavy handed attitude we got from Mr CAMS. These events shouldn't be reliant on Volunteers as much as everyone that I've ever spoken to really appreciates their efforts. What motorsport in this country needs to embrace is paying for people to marshall these points or at least have a decent fire extinguisher on at each point. It's not much of a financial investment. Not like say, someone's car that they've spent significant wads of cash just to get to these events. Again, not having a go whatsoever at the volunteers. It is a thankless task. I suggested many years ago that we should be paying people to do this just at our local club events...but that was shot down quick smart. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Seriously, you have to draw the line somewhere. Surely this is it. Stop spending money on this car. It's doing my head in and it's not my money.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Mate, gutted for you, absolutely gutted...

Sorry to see mate, the luck just isnt with you.

As for flaggies, drifting in Victoria actually pay their track marshals, its not a large amount but its something, however its treated as a prestigious position as you're as close as you can get trackside. It has me beat that circuit racing is all volunteer work. We pay more than enough in entry and licences each year for Cams to flick something at the officials to keep them happy and turning up to the race track.
    Profi

Opens
    It was a privately booked day - manned flagged points, I've never heard of it happening, even private practice days, where you've got a lot more cars....zip. That's why they say practice is more dangerous than the race weekends!

Even when there's all the facilities, no guarantees, the fire up at Bathurst for Easter was next to pit straight and the fire tender ute nearby....it still resulted in a cooked Lotus. Wakefield pretty much relies on flashing lights on race weekends now, had a fire there some years back, it took 3kg of of extinguisher in the hand held bottles on-board before the firies pulled up, laughable at what some expect from the standard 1kg.

Is there some secret sauce in Porsche engine building too? Would have thought there's plenty with 4 cylinder building credentials here without creating more difficulties using an O/S engine source.