Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 944 turbo road to racecar.

That was early days and they had some probs with gear selection. Still, pretty fast if what they say is true and running a Gt30 at 15lbs.

Gammaboy gets the gold for his guess. DRB GT40. And as you can see from the CAMS 2B sportscar list, for some reason only the DRB COBRA is on it. I had it out with DRB and CAMS as to why and they both blamed each other! Nice, so I log booked as 2A sports car.
    Yep, the Audi 01E (porker 968 6 speed) is the next choice up in strength and cost. Better still is a porker G50 5 speed, turbo version eve better if you like 10k trans. Guess I'll keep durability testing a beefed up 016 for now and deal with it when it cries uncle.
    May do a thread on car one day. But really, a GT40 is fairly straightforward and not that weird so far as race car threads go. Corona ST141 13 for 1300 is more fun right now though!

There's a guy running a GT40 in NSW Prod Sports 2b A class. Doing mid to high '30's around Eastern Creek I believe.

If you want to spend a little more than the $10k I have the perfect transmission for you but it's in the US. GT2 already customised for installation in a 'flipped over' position. It owes me about $15k. $12k and it's yours.
    If you're at all interested contact me ASAP. It's about to be shipped to California Motorsports for them to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    There's a guy running a GT40 in NSW Prod Sports 2b A class. Doing mid to high '30's around Eastern Creek I believe.
    Iain Pretty's Roaring Forties GT40. It's a seriously nice bit of kit.

The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Iain Pretty's Roaring Forties GT40. It's a seriously nice bit of kit.

One of my mates who is part owner in Roaring Forties ran that car (John Bowe drove) at Sandown historics last year.... on startup you have to resist blipping the throttle to get the alternator charging because they are scared of piston to head/valve clearance when cold.

Awesome car.

Are you sure it's the same car? There is nothing historic about it!
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Yep, Iain's would have to be the most highly developed and serious outright racing GT40 based car going, and not just in Australia from what I can tell. Unfortunately, my budget and time does not extend to such greatness. Or ability!

333, your trans is a very nice sounding unit, however if it would fit (it won't - too long) it would be the best part of 20k by the time I have it in the car and running. G50 5 speed is the last 911 type box that typically fits in a GT40 due to length. I seriously looked at G50 based trans options (after all, that is what DRB kit is designed for), but it was going to be 15k or so for a stocker G50 rebuilt and all adapted up, and more like 20 k for a G50 turbo. So I went cheap. My wife found a block of land to buy the same day my original 016 trans busted and so it goes...
    A nice halfway point in terms of cost is the Audi 01E box (as 333 is getting built), which RF kits typically uses. US$2700 for a rebuilt unit in the States. US$10k will get you one with full straight cut gear, dog box goodness. Mmm, back to the $15k plus scenario we are, sigh.

Anyways, here is a picture or two. Gotta have pictures apparently. Ferraris are trucks! And then no more thread hijack!

Wow nice car! Now you have to start a thread on it.

oh yeah that's a fucking sweet car....

Definately needs its own thread!

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Are you sure it's the same car? There is nothing historic about it!

Sorry 2009

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11278858

Have had a very good look at that black gt40, doesn't seem to share much in common with what you get in the kit...
    Profi

Quote Originally Posted by profi View Post
    Have had a very good look at that black gt40, doesn't seem to share much in common with what you get in the kit...
    Not surprisingly Roaring forties owners (Paul and Kloppy) are ex holden and prodrive. AFAIK That black one was the first sporting new suspension stuff that is now avaliable in all RF kits. Having said that if you want to know anything sepcifically I can call him and give you a PM.

I love GT40s too. Old and new ones. I have serious doubts about Ian P's fitting into all 2b rules. Love to know his wheel sizes for one. Those rears have to be at least 12"s, the fronts better be 10" or less. The rear spoiler wasn't a stock factory Ford item and from what I've seen of that car, doesn't fall within the rules to the naked eye.
    Don't mistake what I'm saying for whinging or anything. I would love to run my car against this and feel that there ought to be an outlet for cars that are beyond 2b yet not tube frame Sports Sedans silhouettes.

200mph your car looks positively gorgeous and petite compared to those big old Fezzas driven by the usual pussy Ferrari crowd. It's one thing to own a Ferrari, there's another to be able to afford to crash it! The fastest timess in the Ferrari club of NSW are by guys who drive Fiat 124's!
    I wasn't aware how much longer the gt2 tranny is over the normal G50. I was very close to going with this trans but I thought I was in more of a hurry and trying to get this car onto the track by now, so I opted for the 968 trans. Cost me something like $1600 to buy. About $3k to fully refurbish and then there's the KAAZ LSD at $1700 and maybe some billet side covers at probably $500. At this stage I'm not going to go crazy with straight cuts and dog boxes. Ultimately they save you maybe 1-1.5 secs a lap which is good but costs a lot to get that and is harder on components therefore requiring a rebuild more often. I was however considering REM or Cryo treating some of the internals but you hear various opinions on both those processes....so...I think I'll just wing it for now with the stock internals (plus LSD). The gearing mightn't be ideal either but you get more opinions on this too, so again, hard to tell before the dyno charts at least. Expensive hobby this one....should have taken up playing the recorder instead!

The fastest timess in the Ferrari club of NSW are by guys who drive Fiat 124's!
    And an atmo one at that... Though 1:06s are farken quick.

Oh they're far from standard. Wonder if that's on slicks?

Old school BMW
    Off topic but since everyone is drooling about it (which is totally understandable!!!) there is a pretty good build thread on Iain Pretty's car on a GT40 forum:
    http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-buil...-rf-117-a.html

Oh they're far from standard. Wonder if that's on slicks?
    It (one car with 2 drivers) is a N/A 2L Sport sedan on old 15" 220mm wide slicks. It is a very rapid bit of gear, but you'd expect that from Ross and Jemery Smith at Fiatorque. They also built the X1/9 that's up the pointy end with it's 1500cc N/A engine.

Ps It's a bit harsh having a go at the Ferrari drivers. At least they are out there using there cars properly not just parking them outside the coffee shop.

Yes a bit harsh perhaps but if you were behind the wheel of a car that should go close to 1.00 around WPark and you're doing 1.10s or thereabouts I think you'd be looking to see why the handbrake was stuck on.

What road going car does flat 1:00s around Wakefield?? The Ferraris at the club days are just road cars not racers.

F430 on slicks should go close to a min. Evos are doing 3's & 4's. I've done 5's on R specs. Bruce Hibbard did a min flat in his road going GT2 on slicks. 1.35 at Eastern Creek.
    Hey I'm not having a massive go at them but there are guys driving their equally expensive Porsches around any given track in Australia and pushing their cars much harder. Just be nice to see these fabled Fezzas doing the same is all.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 19-03-11 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 turbo View Post
    Off topic but since everyone is drooling about it (which is totally understandable!!!) there is a pretty good build thread on Iain Pretty's car on a GT40 forum:
    http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-buil...-rf-117-a.html
    Holy shite....and I'd be either not allowed to run because I've gone up from the tiny turbo that came stock with my car...or I'd be in against this BEAST!!
    Some choice.

That's an amazing build and car. Can't see how it would be allowed and mine mightn't. There doesn't seem to be a stock nut on that car. Glad it's got a class to run in though.

F430 on slicks should go close to a min. Evos are doing 3's & 4's. I've done 5's on R specs. Bruce Hibbard did a min flat in his road going GT2 on slicks. 1.35 at Eastern Creek.
    Hey I'm not having a massive go at them but there are guys driving their equally expensive Porsches around any given track in Australia and pushing their cars much harder. Just be nice to see these fabled Fezzas doing the same is all.
    I agree that it'd be great to see more track oriented Ferraris on tracks around Aus!!!
    Well done on your 1:05s, that is VERY quick.
    The point I was trying to make is that the Ferrari club track days are just fun events, for the most part the cars are not far from stock show room spec, in fact many run REAL road tyres not even 'pseudo slick' R specs. Interestingly enough there's a recent Porka club track day on Natsoft, the quickest time is a high 1:05, no one anywhere near a flat 1:00. Actually the times that the Fiat 124 mentioned above has done would of made it 2nd fasted from my quick look.

Edit: I just looked down the list on Natsoft and saw the NSW Porka club. Some serious bits of gear there by the looks with 1:02s etc.
    Last edited by youngy125; 19-03-11 at 07:01 PM.

Yes 2x 1.02s but they're both full race cars on slicks. The fastest one is David Wall's ex 996 Cup RSR. I think he did .58s in it from memory. I hope to get down to 2's if not lower still with licence plates.

I take your point on the Ferraris though, better to see them on the track than posing around with some hairy drug dealer in the Kross...

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    And then?
    Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

Quote Originally Posted by 200MPH View Post
    Gammaboy gets the gold for his guess. DRB GT40. And as you can see from the CAMS 2B sportscar list, for some reason only the DRB COBRA is on it. I had it out with DRB and CAMS as to why and they both blamed each other! Nice, so I log booked as 2A sports car.
    Yep, the Audi 01E (porker 968 6 speed) is the next choice up in strength and cost. Better still is a porker G50 5 speed, turbo version eve better if you like 10k trans. Guess I'll keep durability testing a beefed up 016 for now and deal with it when it cries uncle.
    May do a thread on car one day. But really, a GT40 is fairly straightforward and not that weird so far as race car threads go. Corona ST141 13 for 1300 is more fun right now though!
    The DRB Cobra got the nod because they made and ostensibly registered 10 Coke promotion cars within the specified period. At our urging the previous ownership (I think) of DRB submitted the paperwork. That meant the DRB cars can run as 2B rather than 2A which is by invitation.
    Turbo cars that run as 2A Sports Cars are supposed to have completely standard induction systems. 2A is fine but any protest can see you instantly out. This happened to the Moslers at the PI 1 Hour enduro last year.
    Last edited by Momus; 27-04-11 at 11:01 PM.
    Claimed horsepower sceptic.

Quote Originally Posted by Momus View Post
    This happened to the Moslers at the PI 1 Hour enduro last year.
    No, the Mosler was never eligible. Where are the 10 road cars? Same boat as my mate's Ascari.

Not too much to show just at the moment. Someone once said "Hurry up and wait". That's what it feels like. Motor still not here. Meant to be on the dyno trolley and next in line this weekend. At the last minute it was decided to pull it down and hone the sleeves out a little more to increase piston to wall clearance. That didn't cost much...! Also we've incorporated some Mil-spec pressure sensors to run up to the ECU as safeguards. Exceed the pre set parameters and it shuts down the motor.

Doors finally packaged and at the shippers. Costing $1700 just to ship them! Car is now painted internally. Waiting on motor, gearbox, axles/cv's, wheels, half the suspension, wing and labour. Going to be cutting it fine just to make SuperLap let alone any actual racing this year.

Kinda scary how deep you get into these projects!!!
    Last edited by 333pg333; 30-04-11 at 06:31 AM.

Where'd you get the front splitter from? and bigger wheels?

any new pics?
    1986 944 turbo
    2006 #26 VE Senator

Splitters are a bit hard to come by. All from O.S. Most of them are going to scrape off on a lowered street driven car too. Best one for a track car would be this:
    http://www.goodaero.com/JSG/GOODAero.nsf/Products?Open

Larger wheels, well you just have to hunt around. All from overseas too. Depending on how wide you want to go but these Enkeis are the best bang for buck that I've found.
    http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/r...5115_5118.html

Make sure you only look for bolt pattern 5x130 and check your offsets. If you've got an early car you may need to run spacers. Spacers aren't always advisable unless you get the proper ones. If you just slip a spacer over the bolts you will reduce the bolt length that the nut can purchase on so be careful on the fronts.

EDIT: Actually come to think of it, you might be the opposite of needing spacers in which case you probably can't fit those Enkeis?
    I bought some race wheels called Fikse and they will custom make them for you but these aren't $400 per wheel type of thing.
    http://www.fikse.com/2010/index.html

You can probably fit some OEM wheels from 911 also. They're much cheaper to buy. Bit heavy but not too bad in some cases.
    http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
    Last edited by 333pg333; 01-05-11 at 02:38 PM.

Still waiting on the Frigging motor! It's just too easy for overseas builders to ignore us down under and put us on the backburner time after time. Meant to be on the dyno this weekend but can't get in touch with him. Very frustrating.

Anyway, had the interior engine bay sprayed. Car will be all black outside but went for a Silver Gray floor inside. Just to break it up a bit...plus easier to find small shit when you drop it hehe.

Got the wheels and some tyres too. The wheels are 10.5" x 18" fronts and 11.5" x 18" rears. The brand is out of the US called Fikse. They're a 3 piece forged wheel and pretty light. Haven't weighed them yet. Here's a couple of pics of the fronts. Going to try and squeeze 315 rubber up front, same on the rear. Rear will be no problem. Front...mebbee, mebbee-not! C/F doors should be to me next week. 5lbs with lexan each vs stock door 55lbs with electric motors, speakers etc. Nice saving!! See the builder balancing the door on one finger. Try that with a stock one!!

Ordered a new nose piece too. Should be better Aero and also more rigid than the stock one which pulls down with even a small splitter on it. Going to need it to be very strong with new bigger splitter to counteract the Twin Element DJ Engineering wing on it's way.
    http://www.tunersgroup.com/Products/wings.html

Dear God, what have I got myself into......
    Last edited by 333pg333; 15-05-11 at 04:35 PM.