Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 944 turbo road to racecar.

I like the wheels.

Door pic is cool
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.

Thanks TJ. I am kinda smitten myself over those new boots.
    Very much looking forward to getting this damn 'Lab experiment' back on the road.
    Just to see how much weight we've lost will be very interesting.

Damn, serious shit be gettin' serious.

What's the bike in the background of the third pic?

The shop that is doing most of the body/cage builds all sorts of stuff. Bike frames being one of them. Not sure what that one is in the pic though.

http://www.evolutionmotorsport.com.au/

Holy shit you are using Paul! He does great work. He's a mate of mine from Prod Sports.

I also like the wheels.....a lot.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    Got the wheels and some tyres too. The wheels are 10.5" x 18" fronts and 11.5" x 18" rears. The brand is out of the US called Fikse. They're a 3 piece forged wheel and pretty light. Haven't weighed them yet. Here's a couple of pics of the fronts. Going to try and squeeze 315 rubber up front, same on the rear. Rear will be no problem.
    unusual choice on wheels, don't seem to be many sets around here honestly.
    very helpful sorting out my offsets for me. no issues with them thus far (a whopping 5 months and two race meets..)

but damn, 315's

PS: i think they're canadian? haha
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 16-05-11 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Holy shit you are using Paul! He does great work. He's a mate of mine from Prod Sports.

I also like the wheels.....a lot.
    Ha, yes Paul is doing a lot of stuff for me. Great work, great guy, and supposedly a pretty handy steerer from what I hear around the traps. National Karting champion when he was a kid. Hope to do a bit of on track work with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    unusual choice on wheels, don't seem to be many sets around here honestly.
    very helpful sorting out my offsets for me.

but damn, 315's

PS: i think they're canadian? haha
    Who did you get to help you with the wheels? I dealt with the VP and I have to say he wasn't the most communicative person in terms of customer service. Having said that I am really happy with the wheels....well they're shiny and brand new so why not.

Yes, the front engined Porsches really respond well to wide fronts. Basically I'll go for a square setup and see what happens. I can actually fit 335s on the rear with the GT2 flares but I think I'll stay with 315s in R spec and 320s in slicks.

Oh, yes Fikse is a Canadian owned company now. Not sure if the factory is still in the US though?

Who did you get to help you with the wheels? I dealt with the VP and I have to say he wasn't the most communicative person in terms of customer service. Having said that I am really happy with the wheels....well they're shiny and brand new so why not.

Yes, the front engined Porsches really respond well to wide fronts. Basically I'll go for a square setup and see what happens. I can actually fit 335s on the rear with the GT2 flares but I think I'll stay with 315s in R spec and 320s in slicks.

Oh, yes Fikse is a Canadian owned company now. Not sure if the factory is still in the US though?
    i spoke to alan baylis mainly, the sales rep. was very good helping me out with offsets.
    but yes, i could not say the same when i was asking for a response about my payment getting through and the waiting period... i have some new bald patches from tearing my hair out over the former.

not sure if the factory is in the USA honestly, but i remember the payment going through.. toronto i think it was?

Yes, same same. He calls himself the VP. Perhaps I'm over reading it. Perhaps they're really busy and he's the sales, VP, and warehouse guy. I was close to going for some 1 piece wheels but didn't get the answers I wanted in time from another Vendor so I went with the Fikses. How are yours standing up? The Multi-spoke suits the Martini stripes.

Yes, same same. He calls himself the VP. Perhaps I'm over reading it. Perhaps they're really busy and he's the sales, VP, and warehouse guy. I was close to going for some 1 piece wheels but didn't get the answers I wanted in time from another Vendor so I went with the Fikses. How are yours standing up? The Multi-spoke suits the Martini stripes.
    thanks! so far no flaws, but as above it's only early days yet.. couple of race meets and some road driving is all i've done on them - they definitely seem strong but i think you'll be putting yours under a lot more stress
    i tried to keep the colour of the wheels similar to the original fuchs. next up; redoing the martini stripes from faded blue and fresh puppy shit brown back into their actual colours
    your project looks great - i don't know if i'm under a rock but there seems to be hardly any work of this scale put into 924/944's locally! if you're ever competing in QLD i'd love to see it in action.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 17-05-11 at 04:42 PM.

Should look great when you've freshened up all the livery. Hard to beat Martini stripes on a 911!

I have communicated with a couple of QLD guys about their 944s. There are a few projects going on but overall not much in the whole country. A couple of the PCQLD guys have come down for an event at Eastern Creek last year. There was talk of reciprocating up your way. Haven't heard much of that this season but I've not been involved much either. These projects have a tendency to take a lot longer and cost a LOT more than first planned....make that 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th...etc planned!!!

The fastest 944 turbo is a Yellow one out of Victoria but it seems to have the odd
    problem. A few clips of it on YouTube gives me hope that my car will be pretty competitive as I think it will be quicker than this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAIr..._order&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AHGK..._order&list=UL

pretty handy steerer from what I hear around the traps.
    Understatement of the week!

The fastest 944 turbo is a Yellow one out of Victoria but it seems to have the odd
    problem.
    That was at Bathurst when I was running the Viper. Hot car, but it expired before qualifying started.
    Last edited by Cal; 17-05-11 at 08:49 PM.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Ahh, you were in the Viper. Nice! I read a little bit about that. Looked impressive and with a 'bit' more up the sleeve. I saw the video of the Yellow thing at Bathurst. Said to have had clutch and vibration issues. Something was definitely up judging from the video. Strange driving in parts had to mean mechanical troubles. I believe he's a competent driver having lead some Cup Car races in Vic. Ivan Klasson is his name.

Can't wait to get Paul out on the track in my car. It's going to be an eye opener even for him, hehe.

Carbon doors finally arrived today. Been a while coming. Not such a big deal for a lot of Jap cars but for ours, these are custom one offs and you wouldn't believe where they're made. On an Island off the coast of Africa colonized by the Spanish! Pretty stoked to lose a lot of weight with these.

As usual in this damned business, there's always delays. %$%$^#$^$ING motor is still in the US but they tell me it's back on the dyno this week. I really hate them.

The outside is painted now but I don't have any pics just yet. See us dummy fitting the flared guards up and also trying out the 315x18" Nittos up front. Going to be tight but we think it will work. A bit has been cut out of the OEM guard.

The new 968 gearbox has arrived too. Modified the internals to increase cooling. Made a billet side plate to replace the cast Alu one and it will run an external oil cooler and gear driven pump. Modified axles and CVs have landed but customs are doing their usual thing and holding them back for some unknown reason. Probably just to charge some b/s storage rates! The carbon doors turned out to be pretty rough and have had to send them to be 'finished' before painting. Why doesn't anything arrive plug and play as advertised?

Dash being sorted this week along with brakes, wiring, and various other things. Due to the %$^$^$^#^#^$#@%#$%&UNTS in the US I will now have to withdraw from SuperLap which pisses me off no end. Did I mention that I hate them!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You have a nice cms shifter to go with the box? They are a nice bit of gear.

Hehe, I did think of that but for now will just modify the stock one. The shift rod is different for a 968 and the shifter will have to be modified to cover for moving the seat back a bit, whilel retaining the same or similar leverage.

315's on the front I hope you have some decent sized forearms? you will after a season wrestling them

It's looking pretty damn tough, what final colour are you thinking?
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Geez that's a lot of tyre!! Here I am hoping that I can get a 225 under the rear!!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

tears of win!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

This car is amazing.......

1:05s at WP is farken moving but I imagine thats nothing compared to whats possible in its new form!
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

In for the long haul now.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Thanks guys. Sometimes it's these posts which appear far and few between that keep me going. I'm sure this is shared by many people doing builds of course. I'm also dead certain if I itemised all the things that have gone into this build and all the money (that I don't dare add up!!), plus all the things that have gone wrong...I would bet I'd be in the top 5 of "How fucked is that" if there was a racecar build gameshow. Maybe we should start a whole thread just to compare the sheer fuckedness of our various projects. That would bring some great stories out if nothing else. My only hesitation would be that I'd feel embarrassed by what's happened and the whole 'class' would point and laugh!!
    No, seriously you would.

The 315's are favoured by a couple of racers in the US. A square setup is also favoured by many who race these cars. They are pretty much a 50/50 balanced car so that makes some sense. I've run 275s all round and it's great. Also 285/295 Hoosier which also was fine. Hoping the p/steering will cope. The irony is that we've been stuffing around to fit these particular tyres as I like the Nittos and I wanted to run these in Superlap. In all other events I am looking to run Hoosier full slicks with 305s up front and 320s in the rear. So I really didn't have to go to all this trouble to fit the 315s up front after the fuckwits in the US have caused me to pull out of S/Lap. Needed to spend $2k+ on these R specs....NOT...!

Colour will be just another boring Black car...but I think it's going to look pretty mean once it's all done and dusted. Wouldn't mind a lite tint either. Have to obscure the cage as much as possible.

As for potential times of this car, I don't really have a clue, but I'd like to think that we can get close to 1min flat at Wakefield, perhaps under it. Eastern Creek...I'd like to get into the mid 30's but time will only tell.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 30-06-11 at 05:51 PM.

dude thats the (supposed) fun of builds. not just the car, but the whole story of it all. all of us who have modified cars have been there, spend unknown wads of cash, lots of stuff ups, but we still do it. as long as you learn from the mistakes.

reckon should leave the metal bits grey, clear coat carbon doors and black guards.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Got a pic of the body with the new flares and all painted. Minus doors and hood...and that other thing...what's it called again...you know....heavy, noisy, expensive....ahh yeah, the motor!!

It's still sitting up a little on the hoist so the wheels will sit up into the guards a bit more. 315s seem to be ok so far...except that I don't need them now....

oh dude, that is hot! (and the car is fucking hot too)

Looking very sinister mate, love it. See you at WP some time maybe
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Lol, the pitcrew that never say 'no'!

I can't wait to get back on the track. It certainly feels like a long time ago. Still a fair bit to do. Chasing a motor that is O.S. is a nightmare.

Opens
    Nice car man, wish I had one :P

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67268823

I like your car, a lot.

Chip