Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 944 turbo road to racecar.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    That thing look fucking awesome!

I've had the same thing happen on my build,its just how it is. Fucked but you live and you learn.
    Very professionally, and with no emotion, Walter spoke: “Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, can you give us a ground speed check?” There was no hesitation, and the replay came as if was an everyday request. “Aspen 20, I show you at one thousand eight hundred and forty-two knots, across the ground.”

Very Nice, Well done mate, Id still take one of these over a 911.
    GURU ENGINEERING PTY LTD

While i also share the sentiments of "rad 944 is rad" i would like to say that your candor is very refreshing in an environment where everyone is saying "oh fuck this its fucked again im over it" (although id say you have some money by the looks of this build and that always helps ).

Keep up the positive attitude, because in the end you will truley enjoy that car and your achievement.
    Past
    74 260z - MOBY
    00 WRX - JARVIS
    09 Z750 - THE Z
    93 Rz Supra - SOUP
    05 Golf GTI
    07 350z Track
    10 Triumph Daytona 675
    73 240z - Red Car

Current

13 BRZ
    04 Liberty GT

My Flickr

MRC Imagery on Facebook

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately I'm soooo overcapitalised on this build that I can't afford to stop as contradictory a statement as that can sound. If only I could get some clear lines of communication with the engine builder but I think these lines are blurry for a reason....

Sat in it today for the first time in a while. Check out the custom instrument panel made to be within reach of a fully trussed up driver. The Motec SDL is mounted and we'll get one of their X-mas tree light thingys. Looks like you can just about run everything off the dash and the SLM. Configure all your presets via the ECU, calibrate the corresponding lights on the SLM and it pretty much takes care of all the gauges. I'm wondering just what gauges/lights to get apart from these?
    http://www.motec.com.au/slm/slmoverview/

Nice to see the fit and finish of the painted car with panels. They even extended the front flares forward to get max possible room for wheel clearance on turning so we can run these big boots up there. Meant that they had to fab up an extension piece in the rocker panel to fill the gap. You wouldn't notice it unless you looked. Not shown in pic but take my word for it, if you need any fabrication / cage work or a complete build and you're in Sydney, you should definitely consider Paul at Evolution Motorsport down in Brookvale.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 09-07-11 at 03:21 PM.

The slm works well. I.fitted one on the charade a few weeks back and the are perfect complement for.the rest of the motec stuff.

Are you going to bother with other gauges then?

Why would I need other gauges? The adl displays every thing from front rear brake bias as a percentage tto fuel objectors pulse width and duration. Also every warning message you can think of. There is no need.

Yeah I hear you...but still have this preconceived feeling of nakedness without a bunch of trad gauges and lights. Isn't it still possible to have a failure between ECU and S/ADL which a basic gauge/warning light might offer backup?

Those guards are wicked.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Yeah I'm actually really happy with them. Seen some bolt on stuff look, well, bolt on if you know what I mean. Didn't want this to look too kit car. Just looks Evil and will only get Evil-er!

awesome build mate, have always liked the 944, then again I drive a MK3 Supra so i'm a sucker for the classic wedge shape . I noticed in one of the pics on your first page that you were sporting an APR performance rear wing? Or was that just another 944 that you posted as an example? Was that front splitter custom made or off the shelf? Also, are they enkies that you have on it now? looks sex!

Thanks for that spiller.
    No APR wing on my car though. If you mean the one on both the Grey car and the Black car, then it's a Ebay special. Surprisingly well made and cheap but from what I understand the wing profile is rubbish according to someone I showed who know's his stuff. If you mean on the Black w Orange livery racecar, then I'm not sure what brand that is. That car is in the US. I will have a wing like that very soon coming from DJ Engineering out of the U.K. Big wide dual element thing.
    http://www.tunersgroup.com/Products/wings.html
    Will need to step up with a decent front splitter then.

yeah was talking about the grey one with the "Buchanan Automotive" decal down the side. What front splitter was on it, looks too good to be a home-made job! Offsets and widths of the enkies you have on it?

Yeah that spoiler was the Ebay special. Splitter was from a guy that did a batch in the U.S. It was ok but flexed a lot. Next one will be better. Those Enkies are 10"x18" all round w 60et. I wish they made a few wider wheels. Sort of odd that they'd go to the trouble of doing the 5x130 Porsche measurement but no go wider wheels?

Got a few more pics today. Hood is on but not sitting down so there is a bit of panel gap showing. Lights are back in, only the nose panel to go on after paint. Splitter on. Due to the front guards being moved forward to gain more room for the front tyres, the splitter is now sticking backwards and needs a trim. Doors are due back next week so they'll get fitted (hopefully) and then painted. New big mirror on too. Brake bias adj and PDM30 installed. Quite like the look of it with the snub tailed spoiler. Big wing yet to arrive. It will need a buff and wash but starting to come together.

There's a possibility of bringing the motor back down here to finish. Would look to move to a Motec unit if that happens.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 16-07-11 at 03:23 PM.

goddamn that is looking good.

On teh Bavarian g-train baggins's Avatar
    ROFL at the dog.

Move to motec. And get an adl also. Then you have the best of everything. You will never look back and will be able to do anything with all the units

this is off the scales mate, looks amazing!

Thanks again guys. Unfortunately having it off the road for a while, I have to live vicariously through pictures.

Alex, I had thought of the ADL as opposed to the SDL3 that I have, but am not sure if I can justify dropping some $ on the SDL and paying quite a jump up for the ADL. I know you're a big fan of all things Motec, but do you see the difference in costs being justifiable?

Yes, I had a chuckle at the doggy too. It's my builder's dog and she seems quite pleased with 'her' car.
    Last edited by 333pg333; 14-07-11 at 11:38 PM.

Wankeling Rotard
    PDM looks good. Planned on one for my race car build, but will probably end up going with an ISIS Powercell, as much as I would like the PDM
    '93 čfini FD RX7 | '04 FE RX8 blog.vtxms.com
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Tough as farking nails mate, love it.
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

double post but worth saying again
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

The sdl3 will do just fine. Forget the adl comment. Hell i come no where close to using my adl functions.

Couple of small additions. Dummied up the new 6 speed 968 trans. It's a bit longer than the 944 turbo 5 speed and having the oil line tapped off at the rear doesn't help. So probably going to have to make either a cut into the spare tyre wheel well and maybe run the Mocal oil pump inside the wheel well along with the surge tank and 2x 044s, or make a cubed shaped indentation in the wheel well and run a 90 degree fitting and keep the oil line out of the inside of the car. To go with the new trans will be some Motor sport axles and CVs which are meant to be much stronger blah blah blah. We'll see.

Got the doors back after being 'finished' locally. Looks like they'll fit pretty well and being black should be advantageous in hiding any little shadows caused by panel gap / overlap. Well that's the plan....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0242.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	50586  

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar
    Mega build!! Looks so good.

Hmm, problem is that these doors don't fit properly...so, not sure what recourse we have with C/F pre-fabbed parts?
    Can you cut and bend or reheat and bend C/F ???
    Last edited by 333pg333; 07-08-11 at 12:18 AM.

Made some space for the gearbox so now we can run a 90o fitting and not have to half run the oil line into the back of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    Hmm, problem is that these doors don't fit properly...so, not sure what recourse we have with C/F pre-fabbed parts?
    Can you cut and bend or reheat and bend C/F ???
    Not really, once the polyester or epoxy thermosetting resin has cured that's pretty much it,

where the door is sticking out at the bottom can you actually push that area back in to fit the profile, if so then you may be able to preload the door and try to put a internal rib in there to hold that shape, the hardpart is that you will need to stratch back the resin and try to bond to that.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

what class is this being built for again mate?