Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll

161 62.65%

12 4.67%

84 32.68%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 10 + 10 x 0 =

no one ever, is to blame Howard Jones's Avatar

288. Order of ops just states you add the 9 & 3 first, the 2 sits outside the brackets so the rest if done left to right because division & multiplication have the same point in the order hierachy.

Pi does not = 22/7 it is only correct to the second decimal place. Use the scientific calculator here to verify http://www.ecalc.com/.
    Last edited by Rona; 30-05-11 at 01:54 PM.

Actually 22/7 is perfectly fine as many times during exams working to 2 decimal places was adequate for the example, this is before the days when you had Pi button on the calculator.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

I also break it down like this.
    48/2(9+3).
    48/2*(12).
    48/24=2.
    Only because I vaguely remember a teacher saying that brackets aren't open or "gone" until u apply ALL equations to it and since the 2 is basically part of that bracket equation that's how I did it. But I'm probably wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bush
    We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.

We used 22/7 in primary school anything after that it was unacceptable. Start pack for high school included the standard Casio Scientific calculator was awesome did like 90 digit equations that you could review.
    48/2(9+3) =
    48/2(12) = 288

Having a value outside a brackets just means multiply which is equal to divided by in order of ops so you then progress left to right for it to equal 2 the equation would need to be this:
    48/(2(9+3))
    Last edited by Rona; 30-05-11 at 02:21 PM.

All this tells us is maths is fucked.
    I'm saying that cos alot of ppl ate getting different answers with people who work with numers getting both answers.
    Fucked I tell u! Lol

Skrrraaaarrrrrk

No it just proves people are either dumb, have forgotten the basics since leaving school or they kind of remember it but are applying the rules wrong. They should also crack out their trusty Casio rather then relying on iphone apps which are potentially written by muppets with no idea as well and ignore things like BODMAS. You are only touching the values in between the brackets not outside unless it was 48 + 2(9+3) where by being a multiplication it would override the addition.

It's kind of scary that we are actually debating basic year 7/8 Maths

Yeah I saw it as the 2 being part of the brackets. Obviously wrong
    But I know the order of operations like I said just got the 2 part wrong.

Has left the building theblacktexta's Avatar
    From some of my teachings, this chapter titled "2+2 = 4".

In this section we deal with the philosophical context and presuppositions of mathematics.

Needless to say, those philosophers who are not Christians would take issue with the interpretation of mathematics. But are the disagreements important? Can't a person do mathematics and come out with the right conclusion without any philosophy? Isn't the substance of mathematics philosophically and religiously neutral?

Yes, non-Christians can do mathematics, but only because God enables them to do so. Only because the Christian God exists and sustains them and teaches them are they able to do mathematics, and to act as if God didn't exist.

We can see this by considering the statement "2+2 = 4." Everyone agrees to this, right? Isn't this real and true knowledge, independent of a person's religious presuppositions? Not quite. A radical monist might dispute the truth of 2+2 = 4. Moreover, we have just made statements that depend weightily on a world view, on presuppositions about this world.

2+2 = 4 is true. What is truth? What is the "everyone" that "agrees" to this truth? (What is man?)

Furthermore, in order for someone to be a mathematician or even to write down or to think "2+2 = 4," he must have a confidence in his memory and in the reality of time. And there are more questions. What, after all, does "2+2 = 4" mean? A man with another language or another set of symbols would not understand it.

Well, you may say, put two apples in an empty bag, add two more, and then count that there are four. At the very least, this involves someone remembering that he has already added the first two apples, and knowing how to count. It involves believing that time is not, e.g., circular. (Otherwise, adding the last two apples might be the very same event as adding the first two apples.) It also involves assumptions about the identifiability, stability, and constancy of apples in time. And so on. Furthermore, if we are involved in any kind of mathematical or even physical reasoning, we have to cope with an explanation or interpretation of logic.

Now, all this may seem quite obvious. However, the point is that even the most elementary mathematical content involves an intrinsic commitment to a certain vaguely defined philosophy or world view. Every mathematician must have it to get off the ground. This vague world view assumes, among other things, that the world "makes sense" or that it "hangs together." Reality is not a complete flux, and man's mind is not a complete flux. What happens is not completely random and without sense. Man's mind, logic, and external reality cohere.

Note that we have run across the word coherence before. We have seen that the Scriptures attribute the coherence of the world to the creative and sustaining activity of God, who has created man with a capacity for understanding the world, and who governs the world in an orderly way (for example, Ps. 104:20-23 speaks of the orderliness of day and night).

Specifically, all things cohere in Christ (Col. 1:17). That is why it is possible to count, to remember, to communicate by language, to know truth. God bears witness to himself (Rom. 1:18) even in 2+2 = 4.

We must say that mathematicians receive this witness, since they act on the basis of belief in coherence. They act as if 2+2 = 4 has real meaning, meaning that it can receive only as a truth related in manifold ways to the creation of God and to the other truths that he ordains. But this truth is suppressed, because it is denied that God is the Author of 2+2 = 4.

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by xw351 View Post
    Actually 22/7 is perfectly fine as many times during exams working to 2 decimal places was adequate for the example, this is before the days when you had Pi button on the calculator.
    Just remember a few numbers, it's not hard.
    I know pi to ..... 3.14159265358979323846 off the top of my head, I used to know it to 40 places, just for laffs.

Fumb duck
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    I know pi to ..... 3.14159265358979323846 off the top of my head, I used to know it to 40 places, just for laffs.
    I remember in school I went to the maths HOD in lunch break and said "3.141593" and was rewarded with a piece of pie.

nash
    That is the worst thing I have ever read in my entire life.

Fumb duck
    Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    That is the worst thing I have ever read in my entire life.
    What makes it worse, is that it was in year 11 or 12, during which I had totally dropped match as a subject, and would have been on one of the very few days I actually attended school. But, free pie is free pie.

Thread lol + too long x lots of crap = fail

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397

Quote Originally Posted by sketchypiMp View Post
    What's she like with a shovel?

And by shovel I mean dick.

Yea in later life I started to remember more of the decimal places but decided that I doesn't really matter that much anyway.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Tinkler View Post
    Please explain.
    Ignoring the other posts about how to estimate pi, if that picture was correct, pi wouldn't be a constant...

run the logic it presents again using a circle with a diameter of 2, and therefore a square with sides that are 2 long...

don't know that it calls for sterilisation, it was a bit of a headfuck at first
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Having a value outside a brackets just means multiply which is equal to divided by in order of ops so you then progress left to right for it to equal 2 the equation would need to be this:
    48/(2(9+3))
    big.

fat.

wrong.

the 2 outside the bracket does not mean multiply - it is an "order"

orders (the "o" in BODMAS) come before multiplication and division.

(9+3) = 12

2(12) = 24

48/24 = 2

therefore, answer = 2

apologies - i'm wrong
    Last edited by Cplus; 30-05-11 at 09:28 PM.
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

^^^ Want to explain why the scientific calculator disagrees with you then. Orders are Squares/Square roots not a number outside/infront of a bracket which simply means multiply by.

http://www.picalc.com/

http://www.ecalc.com/

http://thedigitalrebel.net/webcalc/

Etc etc etc
    Last edited by Rona; 30-05-11 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cplus View Post
    big.

fat.

wrong.

the 2 outside the bracket does not mean multiply - it is an "order"

orders (the "o" in BODMAS) come before multiplication and division.

(9+3) = 12

2(12) = 24

48/24 = 2

therefore, answer = 2
    Orders are square roots and powers

Who gives a shit!!!!!!!! thread should have died after 02pruv stopped arguing
    THE TOY:ef futura turbo now n/a for rwc purposes
    THE DAILY: EF GLI 4.0l turbo, j3 chip, lsd, fairmont interior, vortech fmu

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    ^^^ Want to explain why the scientific calculator disagrees with you then.
    cause i'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_h View Post
    Orders are square roots and powers

how the hell did i convince myself otherwise....
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

...........I know pi to ..... 3.14159265358979323846 off the top of my head, I used to know it to 40 places, just for laffs.
    Must've been pretty desperate for laffs.

Mick