Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone been bankrupt before?

not a cop
    Quote Originally Posted by pathamilton View Post
    hehe fair enough to above post.

as for weekly income, hmmm.
    clear 1k a week or thereabouts as a train guard. its just under or over depending on shifts so that is a fairly accurate guesstimate.

other costs..
    per wk
    300 rent
    150 food
    150 child support
    100 petrol
    50 random sundries
    250 card payments

that was just off the cuff but would be about right.

if i just type the same letter up for the banks it might not be so hard, good to know i keep the car.
    would be depressed as all get out if i had to sell that..

oh and thanks for the PDF Seb, will hit the link now.
    You are spending more on food then we do. (me and the nopics)
    Also, rent, you may need to look at sharing a house/getting a flatmate

150 a week/ 600 a month will go a LONG way towards getting shit sorted out.

Pat Hamiltonophile Oxygen Theif's Avatar
    rainwulf
    Yea we know that. Thats why consolidation is the best bet.
    you don't even have to get a loan for the full amount, just to cover one or two of the high interest things, and you are back on your feet.

OP, do you have any GE loans do you? they suck balls.
    Bankwest and ANZ wouldnt loan me one red cent so consolidation is out.
    i know 80k doesnt seem like much compared to a mortgage but Phat-turbo hit the nail on the head re interest. With all the trimming i can manage im still just barely covering the minimum so the only way i could do it in 2 yrs at 200 a week would be by going bankrupt..
    assuming u still have to pay it all?

not a cop
    going bankrupt isnt the magic bullet, as discussed in the thread, otherwise anyone could just rock up a huge debt and scream "rape", i mean "bankruptcy"

There will be lenders out there that will help, try the credit unions.
    There are a bunch of companies out there that will help you, because in the end, bankruptcy costs the banks more then it does to help you pay out your loans properly.

keep meaning to read links but then more questions etc
    loving it

im 32 and would love to own a place in ten years but even if i did cut food costs (that was a rough estimate, might be more like 100) etc it would be unlikely going either way. So going to just bite the bullet and go for the quickest way out.
    never getting more than one Ccard again and even then not more than a 5 k limit.

not a cop
    After you declare, you wont get a house loan for decades, if it at all, and dont even consider getting another credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
    After you declare, you wont get a house loan for decades, if it at all, and dont even consider getting another credit card.
    Bullshit
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorpat View Post
    Japanese performance cars are like japanese schoolgirls. By the time they are 15 years old they've all been molested so your only option is to choose one where the previous owner had similar perversions to yourself.

Current lending rules brought in within the last 12-24 months allow for anyone with any bad credit regardless of what it is to be assessed and offered credit at a price reflective of their risk profile or denied flatout. The gumbyment loosened up the privacy rules around credit so basically everyone now knows everything about your credit history.

not a cop
    Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Current lending rules brought in within the last 12-24 months allow for anyone with any bad credit regardless of what it is to be assessed and offered credit at a price reflective of their risk profile or denied flatout. The gumbyment loosened up the privacy rules around credit so basically everyone now knows everything about your credit history.
    Oh, didnt know that.
    I stand corrected.
    Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    I am a recently discharged bankrupt and I can assure you that no normal lender will let you in the door until you have done your 4 years and three more of the second phase where you are listed as a discharged bankrupt. I wanted to borrow to buy another property with miles of income to cover it and they all laughed at me.

I will tell you more but please read that appleton link- truly every question you ask is covered.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Bankruptcy etc still has the legislative limits on when someone can or can't be lent to. With the new info banks now possess honestly they are probably less likely to offer someone who has a bad rating credit/prior bankruptcy then previously as they have access to a greater pool of info.

At the end of the day old mate is probably already fucked no one is going to lend him money given his current history so he will probably have a to sign a deal with the devil aka one of the fox symes type groups or declare bankruptcy. No major lender will give you $80k unsecured and credit unions are generally tamer then the big 4 with their lending anyway.

Edit: For clarification my original post wasn't meant to suggest they would lend money easily it was infact the reverse. By regardless of what it is this means shit like mobile phone, utility bills etc. If you have a late payment/s they will know about it which previously wasn't shared between organisations.
    Last edited by Rona; 05-06-11 at 07:56 PM.

Pretty good.
    If your income is good, and you have a good history of paying back onto your credit card and NOT MISSED ANY PAYMENTS, they will.

I know from damn experience thats why. Stupid direct debit.

The bank will give you any amount of money really if you can prove you can pay it back regularly.
    Cheers,
    Wasnt too sure, as it would effectively mean i could pay off the credit card debt straight away and didnt think they would be too keen on that

Don't do it mate, I've pulled myself out of a lot of card and loan debt and it's hard and takes sacrifices but it's achievable.

Seriously talk to the banks with a detailed account of where you stand and what you want to do, they will be able to solution and you may be able to secure a consolidation loan for the entire amount.

It may be worth your while even getting an accountant to work you out and manage a financial budget for you to get you back into the green.

Trust me when I say this, get rid of all cards completely and don't even try to fool yourself into beliving or thinking that you can handle even one card.

You can do this but you need to take responibility for your actions and be prepared to crimp your lifestyle.

You also need to reconfigure your life and show
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

not a cop
    Yea, we went for a cons loan, and all was ok apart from a single missed payment on our mastercard. that was enough, and we didnt get the loan.

Basically if you can prove you dont need a loan, you can get one haha

Mr tinkler
    I will tell you more but please read that appleton link- truly every question you ask is covered.
    thanks, working my way through it now. Great stuff, will give them a call tomorrow. Seem like a more honest bunch than those Fox Symes cunts.

Rona
    At the end of the day old mate is probably already fucked
    so might as well just get rid of it all ASAP if im never going to be able to borrow for a house anyway that new legislation seems like it might help but mostly screws me as even after the 7 yrs they will still only offer loans at ridiculously high interest.

from the PDF linked earlier

Unsecured Debts and Assets A person cannot propose a Debt Agreement if their unsecured debts are more than this limit.
    A person cannot propose a Debt Agreement if their divisible property is more than this limit.
    $92 037.40
    s.185C(4)(b) and (c)
    Income level A person cannot propose a debt agreement if their after tax income for the year is more than this limit.
    $69 028.05
    s.185C(4)(d)
    Limits
    not sure what a debt agreement is though.
    such a noob

not a cop
    Do you have some relatives that you can borrow some cash off? Obviously borrowing more is bad, but that interest is whats murdering you. I guess what most of us are saying is that paying it off now is the best solution for a couple of reasons.
    One is that your credit rating wont get raped by the bankruptcy.
    Two, getting into a good mental and habitual method of paying back your loans now will help you in the future.

I used appleton's info to process my stuff and it worked out as well as it could have.

Trust me when I tell you the fox symes stuff will end the same way but you will bust your guts for an extra 5 years before you have to go bankrupt.

I was in the hole for maybe 4 or 5 times more than you and I genuinely had no option. I am still fucked by it in numerous ways so if there is any way you can sort it out then that is better.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.

Not true. 7yrs and you're semi clear.
    MK7 Golf R 11.3@120.95mph. still working at getting into the 10s
    F80 M3 LCI2 10.78@130mph ( Quickest stock turbo M3 in Oz )

Try and earn more money I reckon, train drivers are killing it.

Maybe make friends with teh dodgy wogs and ask them what the go is.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Fondles
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
    After 7yrs I was far from semi clear, prolly did not help one of my dodgy mates decided to get telstra hooked up in my fucking name and then default on the bill without my knowledge...................

Anywho I own fuck all but atleast I'am 100% debt free accept my Thai credit card, that one I'll max out when I depart the country !!!

Try and earn more money I reckon, train drivers are killing it.

Maybe make friends with teh dodgy wogs and ask them what the go is.
    Cityrail drivers only earn a hundred or two more a fortnight after tax than me and have to work twice as hard, the mining/freight drivers are doing about six figures but i dont want to live too far away from my son plus give up a pretty cruisy government job which is about as risk free as it gets.

would love to get mixed up with some disreputable cashed up wogs but with my streetsmarts my first customer would be an undercover and i would go away for about 11eleventy bazillion years.

rainwulf
    getting into a good mental and habitual method of paying back your loans now will help you in the future.
    understand that and i have been trying to pay back everything, but over the last five plus years after it blew out due to a number of reasons (one or two out of my control).

It seems like it will take forever to do it in any way that will leave me with pride intact not that i have much of that left..
    Happy to pay it back...just had enough of the 20% interest etc

Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
    Not true. 7yrs and you're semi clear After 7yrs I was far from semi clear
    confused on this point due to all the differing opinions, if someone was in this position but saved up 20k for a deposit they could still try for an apartment worth 200k right? once 7 yrs up and in same job for all that time?...
    Last edited by Oxygen Theif; 05-06-11 at 09:01 PM.

There a book on this

Quote Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
    Exactly. One thing people don't get is that you CAN NOT GET A GOOD CREDIT RATING.

You start at essentially zero, paying off loans fast etc doesn't get you a "better" credit rating; when you next apply for a loan they ONLY take into account defaults, positives mean fuck all.

I've been bankrupt. It's fucked. I was a signatory on my parents business, we got ripped badly by some cunt businessmen on the gold coast, I got left with a $300k tax bill. I already had a loan for around $10k, some fucking retard stopped in a merging lane with nothing to merge with and I nailed him from behind (my fault no matter how FUCKING stupid this moron was), so there's another $10k, and suddenly at 21 I was well over $300k in debt without a hope in hell of bring able to pay it off: what I got paid playing football, plus my wage as a printer, didn't cover what the taxation dept wanted per week, let alone all the other expenses of living.

I ended up being forced to go bankrupt, very nearly broke me mentally, was off the fucking rails for a long time essentially looking to end it all. Long story short got through that, though I still bear the scars, and spent seven years in financial ruin.

Not_fucking_fun.

You can't get a loan. The only people who will help charge hellishly Jewish interest rates: I'm talking around the 30% mark, and you still need a guarantor and practically sign every fujking thing you own to the cunts. Don't even bother with a home loan. No fucking chance unless you walk in with about 50% deposit. Credit cards, all sorts of shit, is off limits as financial institutions DO NOT WANT TO KNOW YOU. And they don't give a fuck how it happened; you're a bankrupt.... Period.

If you can get out of it early, you minimize the time it affects you. It's on your credit rating for 7 years from the day your bankruptcy finishes: you are bankrupt for 3 years, so it's 10 years you are financially fucked.

Think long and fucking hard before you go it mate. Seriously.

Apologies for long post, digs up bad memories.

/notsoCSH.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackfox
    I wanna put you in a dress and hurt you...

Fondles
    I thought taxes and child support payments (arrears) were exempt from bankruptcy ?

screw the av's
    Not knowing your full situation can you cut back on the spending?

Petrol - do you get free rail / bus transport?
    Rent - move back with parents, share accomodation or granny flat?

Pump as much money into the smallest loan amount while paying minimum on the largest ones.

Kings Cross, with a bottle of lube.
    It will hurt for an hour, whereas going officially bankrupt.. you wont get the power connected a telephone, or anything that requires annual billing for 7 years.... so that means mum and dad or good mate.. or toy boy arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by E-ville View Post
    There a book on this

Yeah cause that covers about 5% of people who are forced into bankruptcy.

PS Fuck you.
    Retard Honour Wall.

Fondles
    Hard call, debt free in 3 to 4 years by pulling back living costs to $500.00 a week and dumping balance of pay packet on the debt or being fucked (literally) for a good 10years by going bankrupt...................

Got Stock?
    another thing to consider is ring up each company you owe money to, say you can't afford to pay them with the interest racking up but you want to keep paying them, most will play ball and negotiate given if you continue to pay they will eventually get back 100 cents in the dollar, if they keep stacking up interest they might get 10 cents in the dollar.

Screaming banshee
    Ultimately if you can double the amount you're paying to your cards/loans atm you'll be debt free in less than 5 years. That will mean you have to make some sacrifices, paying less rent, paying less for food, selling the car for something cheaper to run etc and you may need to pick up an extra job but really its a lot less pain than going bankrupt.