Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: GT40 Restoration

Opens

What the hell's been going on?

Well over a year has passed by at lightning speed and not much has happened with the GT40. So what the hell have we been doing? Well, itís been one hell of year. First up, we did a massive family trip to the USA. One fortunate off-shoot of this, were these awesome fuel fillers that I managed to pick up off a US eBay seller. Theyíre not strictly true GT40 replicas, but they will look great and do the job. They arrived at the house we were staying at on the very last day we left. Phew!

On return from the trip, I hit the garage with the intention of getting stuck into the car, but discovered it was a bit of a mess and soon got side tracked into organising the garage so that itís easier to work in and find things. These homebrew malt jars make good screw storage and the old fresh wort kit ďcubesĒ can be cut open to store spray cans, etc.

Soon after this, I was sent on a last minute work trip to Zambia, which took us through to Christmas. Over Christmas time, I discovered my Stagea had a radiator leak. Whilst the radiator was out I decided to do the timing belt, plus a full service of every fluid in the car: 10 different fluids in total! These are the casualties of the dreaded RB26 harmonic balancer bolt. Eventually I hired a big torque wrench to crack it. It probably took me a month to get the car back on the road.

Once the Stagea was fixed, we decided it was time to upgrade the wifeís car. I twisted her arm (not that it needed much twisting) into getting an MY11 Subaru WRX STi. A quick trip down to Sydney and it was ours. We absolutely love it.

So finally, in recent times I have been able to do a small amount of work on the GT40. It feels damn good to get stuck into it again. Currently, Iím trying to build the panel that goes in the top of the passengerís side wheel arch. Itís a complex shape with several bends.

First up, I was lazy and took the template from the driverís side, saw that it looked close enough so decided to cut out a new panel from it. I soon discovered the sides are not symmetrical (no surprise really). So next I created a new template.

And cut it out. Bending these requires a lot of patience and a bit of improvisation. Normally, I can only do 1 or 2 bends in my little bending brake. The rest of the bends have to be done with improvised methods. Thank God I chose to use 1.2mm Aluminium.

Hereís the result partway through the process.

So after making this one, it turned out one of the angles was a bit off. It looks OK in the picture, but it wasnít a good fit. No amount of clamping, trimming or forcing would make it work, so it was back out with the jig saw to cut the same panel a third time. Lesson learned here is to take the time with the template. If it is slightly off with card, then you can guarantee it wonít fit with Aluminium. Thankfully this time it fits. Third time lucky!

So thatís where weíre up to. Dad has taken the dash home, so he can work on that in his spare time. Iíve been sent away with work again, but am hoping to pick up the pace now and get things progressing. I just need to remind myself that it will be an absolute joy when it is eventually finished. I think the current plan is to keep knocking over the remaining panels in the front end, fit the fuel fillers and then put the roof back on so we can work on the rear firewall. The clutch is done, brakes are nearly done, throttle and steering are done. So Iím really hoping that we might be able to move it under its own power sometime soon.

We still have this?
    POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Opens
    Last time I looked..

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    So Iím really hoping that we might be able to move it under its own power sometime soon.
    That will get the enthusiasm back!

I'm keen for a working bee day if we can all put our leave request in with partners
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

It's great when a project makes you feel so good that a Photoshoot of a bent-up panel makes you moist.

No italics
    Mit freundlichen GrŁŖe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post

I'm keen for a working bee day if we can all put our leave request in with partners
    Father's day is almost upon us
    DJ's don't need sigs

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    It's great when a project makes you feel so good that a Photoshoot of a bent-up panel makes you moist.

No italics
    That's all I have to show at the moment in terms of progress (or lack there of)

Same. The amount of shit you can smash out with a few pairs of hands does wonders for project progression and enthusiasm. Let's get on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Opens
    Sounds good. I'll try and line something up once I'm back in the country

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    You should set a goal for the day, plus some bonus stuff which can be worked on in parrellel.

For instance, lets get the steering and suspension nipped up so we can push it around the block a little with 3 or 4 people. Side tasks can be a panel or two, brakes, dropping everyones unwanted batteries at simons or doing some perminant wiring - IE earths.

Something big that once ticked off, doesn't need revisiting. Brakes, suspension etc.

Philbo is not on brakes.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Count me in when I'm back in the country in a month.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Was thinking about how much i miss updates on this build just the other day
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

You should set a goal for the day, plus some bonus stuff which can be worked on in parrellel.

For instance, lets get the steering and suspension nipped up so we can push it around the block a little with 3 or 4 people. Side tasks can be a panel or two, brakes, dropping everyones unwanted batteries at simons or doing some perminant wiring - IE earths.

Something big that once ticked off, doesn't need revisiting. Brakes, suspension etc.

Philbo is not on brakes.
    Yeah i agree, things need to be finished properly instead of a number of half done things.

For example we need to drop the front k frame again (which involves removing radiator support) so we can do the footwell panelling and finish pedals / brake and clutch lines.
    Type of thing we haven't tackled because we know we will rarely have more than 1 day every 3 months to work on it.

Im going to try find a couple days before the end of the year but also a case of 'when i get back in the country'.
    POWER CHIP free since 2003.

Opens
    Oh right. I forgot that we have to drop the K frame to do the front panelling. Bugger. It's a quick job to drop the k frame. Just slow going with the panelling.

Philbo is not on brakes.
    My skills are moreso in shedskid durability testing.

Opens
    It's time to get on with it!
    Well, it's been a very long time between posts. A lot has happened for Dad, Tim and I during that time. Tim has been buried in studies and I have been busy with family, work trips away and this purchase....

Unfortunately the GT40 has sat gathering dust. Finally, a couple of weeks ago, the planets aligned and we were all free to pull it out and do some work on it.

First up, we started her up. Yep, the 350 still runs.

Next, we decided it was time to put the roof back on. This has been sitting around the back of the house for years.

It turns out the firewall fouls on some of the extra bracing we added, but we had already decided that the fibreglass firewall would be replaced with Aluminium.

After a short session with the angle grinder..

We've left a small amount of the fibreglass in place that we will seal against the new aluminium firewall.

The next job was to build a frame around the front of the engine. Originally the car had a small cup fitted over the nose of the water pump, right near the driver's left elbow. We want to improve on this with a flat firewall. Here's the frame tacked in place.

And that was the end of day 1. She looks so much better with the roof back on.

After a bit of thought, we soon decided that we were not happy with the new frame. It eats up far too much of the limited cabin space. Our solution was to install an electric water pump and relocate the alternator to the lower right hand side. We've also decided that we will be installing an electric compressor for the air conditioning up the front.

Within a week, I had this Davies Craig EWP-150 with SBC relocation kit on my door step.

Julian approves...

So on the next weekend, I removed the old mechanical pump with some help from an offsider. Believe it or not, she was only a few weeks old when we started the 350 for the first time. She's now 4...

There is plenty of room to install the new pump behind the driver's seat.

So on week 3, we got stuck into the remaining panelling. Tim did most of the work, while I finished off the damn fiddly passenger's side wheel arch.

I then started to look into the fuel fillers which I picked up a few years back. Originally this car had a fuel filler in the rear under the clamshell, but we will be installing them each side in front of the windscreen like they should be. We will need to cut out holes in the front body to fit the new fillers. I soon discovered that the front body has warped or its mounting points have moved a bit with the modifications we made to front end. We need to get this back into the correct position so that we cut holes in the right spot for the fuel fillers.

Last night, I ordered a pile of new goodies which are on their way to my door:
    • 140A alternator (required to power the air con compressor)
    • Alternator mounting bracket
    • Single crank pulley for ribbed belt (the old crank pulley is huge)
    • Engine air filter (finally)

Also, I picked up a handbrake mechanism from an R33 Nissan Skyline which should work well. Now that this has arrived, we can make up the centre tunnel and then get on with the rear firewall.

It's been a long time, but we are enjoying getting stuck into the GT40 again. We just need to keep the momentum rolling now.

Wow I just looked and this thread has been going since 2011. Mind blown.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Love how it tucks under the racking. Keep chipping away.
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Great work
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Yay, enthusiasm revival! My girls are nearly 4 as well. Good times having them help on the car (and rearranging the socket sets, and confusing all my nut and bolt containers)...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1895.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	790.1 KB 
ID:	102546
    Last edited by doctor ed; 14-10-17 at 06:40 AM.
    Mit freundlichen GrŁŖe

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Opens
    Haha, good one Ed. They sure are good at making any work take twice as long. Fun times though. I reckon it's good to get them in the garage and learning about all the parts. My kids know all about water pumps now. Haha

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Good to see an update mate. Keep chip, chip, chipping away at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Go fuck yourself cunts you to fatboy you cunts wanna bring up wifes as usual im just defending myself.
    Then you all get all teary gang up and attack like a bunch of lebbos that see an open oppertunity pretty
    much a bunch of gutless cunts that think like sheep. And if he is a ugly cunt and has a looker than he must have
    lots of $$$$ which speaks for itself. So as I said well and truly get fucked cunts.

Whoa lads! Bravo. This isn't that far off now! Get into it!!
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    Good to see an update mate. Keep chip, chip, chipping away at it.
    100% this makes all the difference. Even if you only get 30 mins to an hour on a regular basis it's 30 mins to an hour that you wouldn't have otherwise spent on it.

Opens
    The problem we have at the moment is it takes about 10 mins and much swearing to get the car out from under the shelf. The caster wheels on the go jacks have fallen apart. Not happy.

Surely you can just bash on some new castors from Ebay or something!

Opens
    Yep, that's the plan. The damn Dremel died yesterday too. We got halfway through cutting holes in the front shell to the new fuel fillers.

Surely you can just bash on some new castors from Ebay or something!