Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a pic up of your best welds

some of the work have been doing lately

Methanol tank which sits behind the headlight of a 1200 ute, custom intercooler for a VL and a 4" dump and twin gate dumps for the same 1200 ute
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC090033.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	61759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC090034.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	298.2 KB 
ID:	61760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC090040.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	61761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC050002.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	61763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC050004.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	61764  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC050005.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	305.4 KB 
ID:	61765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC050012.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	61766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC060037.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	61767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC060041.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	61768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC060009.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	61769  

Name:	PC060019.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	352.6 KB 
ID:	61770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC060021.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	366.0 KB 
ID:	61771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC060027.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	61772  
    Last edited by ISL33P; 12-12-12 at 04:34 AM.
    Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

Custom Plenum Creations facebook page

nice work, left hander?

you betya
    Custom made and replacement (CNC) intake manifold - 4 axis CNC machining - 3d modelling - tig welding

what sort of frequency are you using for the outside corner welds on the tanks? They turned out really nice

now that would be giving too much away just try all different settings, each to their own. I have used settings that other people suggest/recommend and they dont always work for me...it's a personal thing. Same settings dont work for everyone and each machine, even on the same settings produces a completely different weld

building stuff all day is tiring work... so i made this for my mid arvo siesta's :P

i think 1 1/2" CDW will last a bit longer than the shit ones from ebay!

Name:	20130102_162403.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	62291
    Last edited by Mr Parts; 02-01-13 at 02:44 PM.

hmm great work guys like you have pure skills of welding the metals. Thanks for sharing your work. I was tried a welding work with the electric welding unit. But I am not skilled like you so I always have nor petty welds but you are guys awesome. it seems you have good grip on welding rod and gun.
    Last edited by Stephen144; 20-09-14 at 05:11 PM.

been waiting a while till i had something worth putting in this thread. for thopse that dont know, im doing an old man apprenticeship, just ticked over into my second year as a metal fabricator. This was my official weld test for work to certify me to weld pressure rated tube work. So now, if the xray comes back all clear and apples, im allowed to weld anything above 25mm tube and if its a gas or fluid pressure vessel it gets tested to 1600kpa. I know its not perfect, and am happy for critisisms but am, justifiably i feel, proud of my little effort
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Good work Fanta! I'm just happy you found a good place to work. I feel like a cunt after what happened at the last joint.

180 or 360 degree? Tried that on a night course for shits and giggles, fucking hard! The brown spot to the right looks perfect, that's about the length I could get in between the burnt/lumpy/fucked bits I know they are more interested in strength/ penetration, found it really hard to balance with burning the chrome out.

Nah tam, all good mate.as said before, yt was not the issue, just simmsy being out for himself and having no regard for his own responsibilities .... Absolutley no malice blame etc etc extended your way at all on the bright side, I still got to drill a whole in the roof of a fresh Lamborghini

Fdudeman not sure what u mean by 180 pr 360...... Its a full 360 tube weld round the tube, bit done in sections.... Even a bot of lefty weld going on

A recent pic of collector for v6 manifolds in progress; the last set of this design I made recently ran a 10.02 @ 132mph on a stock bottom end L67 in a VS ute. Pretty impressive for a dirty old motor i thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fantapants View Post
    Fdudeman not sure what u mean by 180 pr 360...... Its a full 360 tube weld round the tube, bit done in sections.... Even a bot of lefty weld going on
    Na I meant done in only one or two passes, can't really see any stop/start points on there. The instructor mentioned 360 degree welding with the pipe clamped up off the bench as part of the trade certification. Tried lefty welding too now you mention it, fucked it hard haha.

ahhh yes, i hid the pic of the stop start it was a 3 weld pass, 2 long ones and a quick 10mm join run for the bottom that i couldnt reach on the first 2 passes.

classy looking work commotion!
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Sorry to put this shit weld in here but there isn't a welding advice thread and I'm fairly embarrassed by the quality of this job my, um friend did so want to offer him some advice. machine was a tig/plasma cutter/arc machine and he was using 2.5mm rods, positive earth, negative torch.

he cleaned up the edges or the fairly rusty angle iron a bit (probably not enough, need to get a wire brush wheel) and it was just horrible compared to the big humming arc welders I've used in the past.

Part of the reason I want to get good at ARC is I hate fucking around with gas (especially now you need a ute to transport it) and only weld shit a few times a year so hiring bottles is a pain, if i can get good results out of a multi machine i'll buy one off ebay, if not i'll just get the oldest arc welder I can find. I own a third of a MIG so can use that for panels and shit if i need to do that.

right so my theory that negative earth would solve all my troubles has been disproven, here is some more entertainment, ran these over my pathetic excuse for a linisher before i welded it which got the larger chunks of rust off. positive earth is a bit harder to control and chews the electrode a lot faster, apart from that i just need to learn how to weld.

i'll also blame:

shit welding rods

shit helmet

shit welder - hard to start and arc. my bricks workbench and milkcrate chair worked flawlessly.

in both the following photos the shit bead is pulling, the really shit meandering bead is pushing.

Last edited by Roadsailing; 27-01-13 at 12:36 PM.

I know very little bout stick so I cant help you out sorry.

I do have a couple pics of custom collector I made for a customer. 5in1 for a LS1 in an S14. Getting the two different pipe sizes to merge nice was a bit tricky but i think i pulled it off.

Fondles
    5 in 1 ?

volvo or focus?!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    5in1 for a LS1
    I too am confused. Merging 4 pipes from one bank and 1 pipe from the already merged other bank? (I know nothing about exhaust design).

Dave

crossover single turbo?

in the doghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by ott308 View Post
    crossover single turbo?
    This guys on the money I reckon.
    Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    But by all means drink a litre of rum, double bag the old fella and grunt one up it. If that floats ya boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ott308 View Post
    crossover single turbo?
    yep this ^, otherwise if it was going on a 5cyl there would be no reason to have 1 large pipe and 4 smalls. external gate wouldnt fuction properly trying to get gas out from the intake side of the collector im guessing?

commotion, do you make a pass on the inside of the pipe, or leave it like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    yep this ^, otherwise if it was going on a 5cyl there would be no reason to have 1 large pipe and 4 smalls. external gate wouldnt fuction properly trying to get gas out from the intake side of the collector im guessing?

commotion, do you make a pass on the inside of the pipe, or leave it like that?
    Yes, 4 primaries plus the cross over. Its what the customer requested so that's what he gets.

Inside is left as is. I have never seen a need to weld the internal joint, for structural, flow, or any other reason.

This is the first pipe welds I have done with ER70S-6. All my previous manifolds have been done with ER308L or ER309L to minimise different filler wire types I have to carry but since the manifold welding is heavily outweighing the stainless work I thought I should get the proper filler. I was surprised at how nice it welded, I for some reason assumed it would be lacking the stability of the stainless wire and weld dirty.

You do some awesome work, Commotion :3thumbsup:

commotion,
    can you show us a picture straight downwards direction. on the backside of the merge?
    curious to see how your filling the area

I just tig it up, its a struggle to avoid undercut because of the geometry and direction of travel which is why it looks a little ugly. But I figure it cant be seen so not a huge problem.

thats real nice mate!

Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    Nice work.

Just for shits and giggles, what would the going rate be to fab up the hot sides for a single turbo setup?
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S Johnson View Post
    Sorry to put this shit weld in here but there isn't a welding advice thread and I'm fairly embarrassed by the quality of this job my, um friend did so want to offer him some advice. machine was a tig/plasma cutter/arc machine and he was using 2.5mm rods, positive earth, negative torch.

The rust and manufacturing scale level on that angle iron is very high. To have any chance of good penetration you need to clean back to bright shiny metal with an angle grinder and bevel the ends of the cross pieces. Wire brushes are no good for this sort of work. They don't abrade and tend to smear.
    Try to connect the welder to a good power supply with as short a run from the mains as possible- this gives half a chance for good voltage.

he cleaned up the edges or the fairly rusty angle iron a bit (probably not enough, need to get a wire brush wheel) and it was just horrible compared to the big humming arc welders I've used in the past.

Part of the reason I want to get good at ARC is I hate fucking around with gas (especially now you need a ute to transport it) and only weld shit a few times a year so hiring bottles is a pain, if i can get good results out of a multi machine i'll buy one off ebay, if not i'll just get the oldest arc welder I can find. I own a third of a MIG so can use that for panels and shit if i need to do that.

right so my theory that negative earth would solve all my troubles has been disproven, here is some more entertainment, ran these over my pathetic excuse for a linisher before i welded it which got the larger chunks of rust off. positive earth is a bit harder to control and chews the electrode a lot faster, apart from that i just need to learn how to weld.

i'll also blame:

shit welding rods

shit helmet

shit welder - hard to start and arc. my bricks workbench and milkcrate chair worked flawlessly.

in both the following photos the shit bead is pulling, the really shit meandering bead is pushing.

The rust and manufacturing scale level on that angle iron is very high. To have any chance of good penetration you need to clean back to bright shiny metal with an angle grinder and bevel the ends of the cross pieces. Wire brushes are no good for this sort of work. They don't abrade and tend to smear.
    Try to connect the welder to a good power supply with as short a run from the mains as possible- this gives half a chance for good voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    I just tig it up, its a struggle to avoid undercut because of the geometry and direction of travel which is why it looks a little ugly. But I figure it cant be seen so not a huge problem.
    LOL once the fit is sorted out welding on that guage will be a piece of piss. You need to post a photo of your mitreing setup.
    What is the material?