Thread: Toyota Death Rattle? 2GR-FE

Toyota Death Rattle? 2GR-FE

Friend has an aurion which makes this noise when cold. Been slowly getting worse, but everyone (toyota mechanics, dealers, etc) say its normal. To me, its very much NOT normal for a car to sound like that, especially since it only started doing it when it passed 160,000km.

Anyone else encountered similar noises on 2GR-FE's? More you hear it, the more it sounds like something higher up in the engine, maybe valvetrain. Sounds like metal on metal tapping, being echoed. Seems to be oil pressure related because if you switch off and start again immediately, noise vanishes.

Maybe chain tensioner or something?

A good mate has a 09 (i think) hilux with the 4.0 v6 1gr-fe which makes a kind of similar noise to the first vid when the engine is stone cold. Non toyota mechanic diagnosed it as either bearings or piston slap, engine has 60,000kms on it.

yeah. I wouldnt accept that either. If its the same sort of noise, its definately coming from higher up the motor. Can pinpoint it as something under the rocker cover if you start it with a long screwdriver up to your eat (kind of a dodgy stethoscope).
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Playing it again, yours is more of a rattle whereas his is more of a slow knock. Probably different causes.

Pull the sump off and check the pickup, probably clogged like all hell. Seen heaps of Toyotas lately with similar problems, all due to oil turning to sludge and building up throughout the engine and sump.

We just had a 08 Kluger (Highlander) shit itself, the engine sludged up bigtime even though it's been serviced since brand new from toyota.

The pickup and entire motor was completely sludged up so if you can pull the sump off and clean the pickup before it shits the bearings like this one did.

The cunt of a thing had 98k on the clock when it went.

It required a 6k engine rebuld and is now known as the sludger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    how is fair trading not on this like a fat kid on a mars bar?

oh sorry, no lemon laws here
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

yeah, id be pretty fucking furious if my car didnt make 98,000km. If they are sludging up so much, why? are they running too hot or something and the oil is breaking down? what the fuck happened to toyota reliability. Will have a bit of a look and see if there is a giant fucking cross member in the way like there usually is on fwd cars. If not, will see if i can drop the sump off and have a look.
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

vvti cam pullies can be rattly before the oil pressure builds up. do an oil/filter change and see if the rattle is gone. They usually develop that type of noise when they're close to the service interval.

Yea the Aurion that I previously had developed a slight top end valve train rattle noise, it is shit that the service interval is 15K and they do get noisey from about 12k onwards.

I would do the 7.5K intermediate car if I owned and cared about it.
    xw Falcon 351 3/4 race cam, check engine light on.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp1977 View Post
    vvti cam pullies can be rattly before the oil pressure builds up. do an oil/filter change and see if the rattle is gone. They usually develop that type of noise when they're close to the service interval.
    nah, doesnt make any difference. Just as loud after a service.

Could it have something to do with the starter motor.

Sludge in a kluger i highly doubt would make that sort of noise.

Just sounds to me like the starter is not disengaging quick enough or something similar.

Is the sound in the top of motor, middle or bottom. Use a 50mm plumbing tune say 800mm long and start placing it around the engine till you find the noise location then go from there.
    Drift|grip|drag

Its all the same, spirited driving for spirited people.

Why does everyone use the word CUNT on here??

As i said before. its all in the very top of the motor.