Megasquirt?

Has anyone used and abused a megasquirt before.Never used one before
    only ever used haltech.They are dirt cheep is this becasue they are shit
    or extremly technical to use... any info would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ominus View Post
    They are cheap because they are designed for dyi's. The are great value for money, plenty of software support. Great if you want to do everything yourself and like to experiment, ie tune with the wideband on the rd.

If you want to install and take to a dyno and have someone tune it stay with the haltech. The haltech is the better ecu, but the megaaquirt is great bang for buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Even oysters have enemies HAMMER's Avatar
    Plenty of people in the USA sell them fully assembled now. There is a guy in the states running a Studebaker with megasquirt an did 249mph at speed week and makes around the 900hp so they are a decent piece of kit.
    Last edited by DCR; 13-08-11 at 09:18 PM.

hi guys. i'm in the process of building a v2.2. i've got a laptop running windows 10, and the comms testing phase using hyperterminal has me stumped. i downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to be like the instructions say. can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    Did you get a DIY kit and solder it together yourself or buy it second hand? Have you got a stim to test the inputs and outputs?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Quote Originally Posted by ominus View Post
    Had one on a mildly built 4AGE running ITB's for, 4-5 years now?
    Been 100% reliable, never had any issues - They cop a lot of shit from the Haltech cock pulling brigade and the like but I've got one of those too and it wouldn't make the engine run any better.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    LOL yep. I've had an MS2 since they first came out with the v3.0 board. I upgraded it to a ms3x. Been running my HQ for many years now. Not 1 issue with it and I've even got the IO Extender over CAN to log shit like my TH400 line pressure, fuel level, oil temps etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Quote Originally Posted by krisr View Post
    Did you get a DIY kit and solder it together yourself or buy it second hand? Have you got a stim to test the inputs and outputs?

i'm putting it together. no stimulator.
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

Registered User Cantilever Bridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briney View Post
    hi guys. i'm in the process of building a v2.2. i've got a laptop running windows 10, and the comms testing phase using hyperterminal has me stumped. i downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to be like the instructions say. can anyone help?
    do a loopback test first to test the RS232 port then go from there, you need to bridge 2 pins using a spare RS232 connector.

I used putty not hyperterminal

http://knowledge.digi.com/articles/K...st-using-PuTTY

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    I did a loopback tutorial (kinda) in the ECU thread
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

it does the loopback thing fine, just doesn't do it when plugged in and the processor removed and the requisite pins bridged in its socket. i bought a new max 232 and a socket. i'll see if that helps.

Id like to have a go building a megasquirt.
    Are you guys buying kits from the US, building yourself and then road tuning?

Yeah, I get everything from DIYAutoTune. I've only built them myself.

Get a wideband and TunerStudio MS and go for it. So far road tuning fuel has been pretty easy. Going to go away from the stock ignition soon so will see how hard that is to tune.
    Last edited by bugle; 15-10-17 at 12:00 PM.
    as short as possible

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    They are cheap because they are designed for dyi's. The are great value for money, plenty of software support. Great if you want to do everything yourself and like to experiment, ie tune with the wideband on the rd.

If you want to install and take to a dyno and have someone tune it stay with the haltech. The haltech is the better ecu, but the megaaquirt is great bang for buck
    That is an excellent summary. They do work, it just takes more time to make them work.

Th

I have an MS3. Came with the car. Was N/A, put turbo on and road tuned it ourselves. Easy as.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:46.0 WNTN 1:33.5

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    That is an excellent summary. They do work, it just takes more time to make them work.

Th
    How does it take more time to make them work?

Opens
    I had a hell of a time making a basic 36-1 to trigger. There was some weird setting in place by default that prevents it from working. I was very close to ripping it out.

MS3pro are not exactly cheap these days, are they better than the link and haltech stuff?
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    I had a hell of a time making a basic 36-1 to trigger. There was some weird setting in place by default that prevents it from working. I was very close to ripping it out.
    Yeah but that is a good example of many other problems making the ECU look bad. We would have probably got it going in an hour had it not been for compression, valve seats or cam timing.

What I don't understand about MS is their persistence to use non industry terms for things as a point of differentiation or to stay true to the correct technical/physics term. It doesn't do the ECU any favours, as most people write them off as broken or too hard as above^
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post

What I don't understand about MS is their persistence to use non industry terms for things as a point of differentiation or to stay true to the correct technical/physics term. It doesn't do the ECU any favours, as most people write them off as broken or too hard as above^
    Possibly fair.

Assuming tuner familiarity with them (ie done more than a few) how do you rate their MS3/pnp pro compared to other more well regarded ecu Jason?

I ask as many won't touch them but the ones who do seem to rate them reasonable. Hard to get a straight answer from tuners who sell ecus/seem to support a particular brand, and too easy for them write off as crap.

They have had more features and earlier implementation of pretty much everything that trickles through to the bigger brands.

I like them, but that might say enough about them in itself
    Jason Broadhurst

so this is a thing again. got the old max232 out, and socketed the board and then fitted a new one. success! it now echoes with 12 and 13 bridged on the 40 pin connector. the next step is to connect to it with the processor in place. it wants me to use a configurator tool, and mega tune to get it set up. from what i can gather they're both obsolete and tuner studio is the go. what do i have to do to connect to tunerstudio the first time?

after flipping through the assembly instructions, i found i'd missed 2 resistors randomly in the clock circuit. 21 and 22. once i fitted them, it hooked straight up to tunerstudio. yay!
    Last edited by briney; 29-10-17 at 08:09 PM.