Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K-MAC suspension gear - is it any good?

K-MAC suspension gear - is it any good?

Long story short, I need more caster. So i'm looking at getting some camber/caster plates. Theres only two companies that offer them for my car so I have a choice between K-MAC or Ground Control in the states.

Looking at either these:

http://www.k-mac.com/pages/newprods/Stage_3.htm

or these:

http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=146/CA=191

After doing a fair bit of research I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about K-MAC gear. But considering they are the same price (roughly) as the Ground Control ones, i'm not sure which ones to get. Any first hand experiences out there?
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

Go down to K-Mac's workshop in rockdale.... lol I've never laughed so much... the place is a shithole with all the staff looking like they're illegal immigrants..... Kevin (the owner) is also a huge dickhead.
    Know a few guys who have bought swaybars etc from them.. the hardware they send to mount it to your car is stuff used on farm gates etc (the kinda thing u'd get down at bunnings) and in some cases it was the wrong bits.....
    /csh Racing

The "stage 3" strut tops can be OK but you will need to pull them apart and locktight them as he wonderful "design" unwinds the spherical bearing holder when you do up the shock nut. Every other k-mac part I had bought hasn't fitted the car...

Sensei Cobra
    Ground Control make good products. Just sayin'

I used Kmac springs for ages, they were excellent in the end but it took 3 tries to get it right (i wasnt going to accept springs that werent exactly what i asked for).

If ground control is the same price go with them, quality gear.

I prefer noltec or whiteline personally.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

パワーチップません - No Powerchip! bernie-rx7's Avatar
    I have K-Mac strut tops for the S2. they do the job but they arent anything sensational. noltec stuff is alot nicer.
    Toys List
    1933 34ft Williams Timber Cruiser
    1951 Ariel Red Hunter 500cc
    1973 Honda CB250 Cafe Racer
    1977 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
    1979 Mazda S1 Rx-7 12abp
    1980 Maico 440
    1981 Mazda S2 Rx-7 20bt
    1983 Mazda S2 Rx7 GT Sport Sedan
    1983 Honda CR480
    1989 Honda CR500
    1997 Mazda S7 Rx-7 13btt
    1998 3.2m Aussie Whaler - 40hp Mercury
    1999 KTM 250 Team Castrol Factory Race bike
    2005 Holden Rodeo Diesel Hauler
    2006 Husqvarna TE450

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    there is no noltec or whiteline anymore really. Red ranger purchased the lot and its all under nolathane/redranger group now. Whiteline werent even doing their own bars and stuff when it all happened, huge delays on ordering anything and a lot of the old stock they used to make for older cars arent being made anymore (same goes for ordering bushes, a lot of the noltec catalog isnt being made).

Selbys used to make a lot of the bars, but their website is virtually non existant, so ive got no idea what they are doing now.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 18-11-11 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

far out. I know whiteline bought out Noltec as my car is half noltec and half whiteline. Didn't know they got sold on again tho.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Red Ranger bought them out like 4-5 years ago now. I thought Fulcrum bought the Selby's brand and are now making the bars now. Pretty sure the guy that use to run Selby then setup Singature Swaybars and operates out of a joint in Taren Point.
    Last edited by Rona; 18-11-11 at 09:45 AM.

and sadly nolathane adjustable strut tops are Kmac product with red bushes these days..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

I bought ground control stuff - camber/castor plates, spring perches and eibach springs to convert my front struts to all adjustable for my 1600 and it's pretty decent quality. Trevor there was goos to deal with.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I had bad experiences with Noltec camber tops. Didn't fit properly (had to be adjusted by my mechanic) and a couple of years and limited kms (~5000) the bushes collapsed.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by TRH510 View Post
    I bought ground control stuff - camber/castor plates, spring perches and eibach springs to convert my front struts to all adjustable for my 1600 and it's pretty decent quality. Trevor there was goos to deal with.
    Yeah i've been dealing with Trevor via email. Epic customer service, I think judging by the replies I will be going with GC
    Social media marketing for the automotive industry (plus a motorsport blog) - www.boxthislap.com.au

I have noltecs in the front of mine and they are similar in design to the K-mac.

I would get the U.S ones that you have the link for. The only reason being that the camber and castor adjustment are not together.
    i.e you can adjust camber and not disrupt the cator and vise versa. On my ones you undo the adjusting nuts and you adjust everything at once. Big PAIN!!

At the end of the day ease of use!!

K-mac was the bomb in 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    K-mac was the bomb in 1995.
    Hahaha so true... i dont even think the site has changed since then Best of all their tuning hints section is full of errors... like this gem:

Oversteer: (Rear breaking traction) As with understeer, both rigid and soft suspensions can cause oversteer . With "roll oversteer" the car leans heavily, hitting the bump rubbers and causing a skipping action of the rear end, often resulting in an inversion of the car. "Rigid oversteer" is brought about by a tight suspension set-up which does transfer sufficient weight to the wheel doing all the work.

Understeer: (Front breaking traction) We emphasis that understeer can be caused by both too hard or too soft suspension. The hard suspension will have a tendency to "jump" on unsmooth surfaces, thus lessening contact between tires and the road. With soft suspension the tendency to accentuate centrifugal forces by excessive body roll causes the type of understeer that most of us have experienced at one time or another.
    /csh Racing

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    I had bad experiences with Noltec camber tops. Didn't fit properly (had to be adjusted by my mechanic) and a couple of years and limited kms (~5000) the bushes collapsed.
    if you run spring rates of more than about 300lb, they should have sold you the solid ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Noltec are fuckin useless... no wonder they went out of business...

My strut tops haven't seen a proper load, ie rolling shell and they crumbled apart. I've since stripped the blue shit out and had them poured with new poly.
    Front CAB's same deal, they literally have fallen apart.
    E30 rear subframe mounts are the wrong design and fell apart. I'm rancid about that now as I have to reset the diff mount/rear end to accomodate as it was set up using Noltec subframe mounts. Everything sat ~10mm lower then it should have.

/rant
    Last edited by BMWTurbo; 18-11-11 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWTurbo View Post
    Noltec are fuckin useless... no wonder they went out of business...

My strut tops haven't seen a proper load, ie rolling shell and they crumbled apart. I've since stripped the blue shit out and had them poured with new poly.
    Front CAB's same deal, they literally have fallen apart.
    E30 rear subframe mounts are the wrong design and fell apart. I'm rancid about that now as I have to reset the diff mount/rear end to accomodate as it was set up using Noltec subframe mounts. Everything sat ~10mm lower then it should have.

/rant
    same happened to me with Noltec, put control arm bushes in, crumbled apart in less than 6mths with minimal use. Utter shit.
    A guy in an RX-2 had a suspension setup literally fall apart on the track with noltec products in the front end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

cunt
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    Hahaha so true... i dont even think the site has changed since then Best of all their tuning hints section is full of errors... like this gem:

Oversteer: (Rear breaking traction) As with understeer, both rigid and soft suspensions can cause oversteer . With "roll oversteer" the car leans heavily, hitting the bump rubbers and causing a skipping action of the rear end, often resulting in an inversion of the car. "Rigid oversteer" is brought about by a tight suspension set-up which does transfer sufficient weight to the wheel doing all the work.

Understeer: (Front breaking traction) We emphasis that understeer can be caused by both too hard or too soft suspension. The hard suspension will have a tendency to "jump" on unsmooth surfaces, thus lessening contact between tires and the road. With soft suspension the tendency to accentuate centrifugal forces by excessive body roll causes the type of understeer that most of us have experienced at one time or another.
    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. Even I know that....

I use their springs, to me they looked like shit as in rattle can paint on them but they worked exactly as expected and the poundage was right first time, they even labeled the drivers side with DS on a old school paper tag, i told them what i want and i got what i wanted so I'm not complaining, my next set of springs will be Kmac
    Last edited by XFJET; 18-11-11 at 10:33 PM.
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

K-Mac quality is at best average and getting support can be hit or miss - just my experience.

I have the solid Kmac camber /caster units and no probs to date but it looks like the GC ones are a better design imho

I tried to get Kmac strut tops for my Triumph, so 15-20 years ago now, and even then they, Kmac, were shit. The suspension bloke I was dealing reckoned they will list everything for everycar ever made but really only could do about half of what they said they could, and only if that bit will fit something else.

Go down to K-Mac's workshop in rockdale.... lol I've never laughed so much... the place is a shithole with all the staff looking like they're illegal immigrants..... Kevin (the owner) is also a huge dickhead.
    Know a few guys who have bought swaybars etc from them.. the hardware they send to mount it to your car is stuff used on farm gates etc (the kinda thing u'd get down at bunnings) and in some cases it was the wrong bits.....
    We have only just been made aware of this 2011 input. Now 2015 so obviously car enthusiasts see it for what it is, those not with positive, constructive input, but delight instead in negativity!

CONSTANTLY DESIGNING, CREATING, INVENTING – along the way mistakes (including in 2008 orange powder coat finish) are made. To quote Ferdinand Porsche “if one does not fail at times then you have not challenged yourself”.

The reality at K-MAC is that 2011 was the year that TV show “Wheels in Motion” voted K-MAC “Best Performance Products” at Americas leading Performance Racing Industry (PRI) Show in Orlando Florida (over 1000 Exhibitors) – and featured K-MAC on their Time Warner America/Canada weekly program with over 8 million viewers.

Re the K-MAC factory in Banksia Sydney – yes it is full on when it comes to activity both staff and production (unlike opposition imports where their only effort is to inspect product appearance)!

As it has been conceded, K-MAC is far ahead when it comes to product designs (K-MAC as used in all out competition by Peter Brock at Bathurst in 1977 along with the first 6 placegetters).

Do point out that unlike the companies mentioned, Noltec and Whiteline – we do not source our products in Asia. Instead we proudly manufacture (and employ all Australians) here in Australia!

Re the comparison of these two companies’ products to K-MAC – we also point out that they have both paid royalties and commissions on sales for the entitlement to reproduce these patented design K-MAC products.

BRIEF CHECKLIST/BACKGROUND RE K-MAC “WORLD FIRST” ACHIEVEMENTS:
    • The original aftermarket manufacturer of front and rear anti sway bars (with World’s largest range 1950 Ford Custom to 2015 makes/models)
    • The longest established/most experienced and World’s largest range - Front and Rear Camber, Caster, Toe adjuster kits (Audi to Volvo)
    • The original aftermarket manufacturer of variable rate coil springs
    • The original automotive coil spring manufacturer to use “ultimate” resistance heating – heating from the core outwards

ALONG WITH OVER 20 PATENTS AND PATENTS PENDING ON INNOVATIVE DESIGN BREAKTHROUGHS FOR THE “WHEEL ALIGNMENT INDUSTRY”....

SOME OF THE ACTUAL K-MAC INVENTIONS INCLUDE:
    BALLJOINTS – Sliding adjustable (now industry standard World-wide)
    BUSHINGS – Eliminating need of last 40 or more years of labour intensive disassembly. Now on car precise single wrench adjustment
    STRUTS – 2 bolt flange – No undersize crank bolts, nonslip and with three times the adjustment range of crank bolts
    Top mounts – aperature design providing biggest/quickest adjustment system
    Top mounts – adjustment even though no OEM mount studs
    Top mounts – adjustment where no coil spring to tower clearance
    2005 up Mustang – adjustment without the need for special tools or disassembly
    2010 up Camaro – adjustment without strut tower mods

With ultimate testing proving on the racetrack. In all out 10/10th heavy V8’s competition racing. Situations where “race safety” scrutineers through comparison/evaluation rule K-MAC and only K-MAC adjuster kits are allowed to be used!

SO YES DESIGNING, CREATING, INVENTING NEW PRODUCTS – DOES CREATE CONTROVERSY. But for all of us at K-MAC it’s all about advancement/setting new industry standards and proudly not importing but having “in-house” manufacture and therefore total control over quality. Also allowing rapid/constant design updates.

A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN THE APPROACH (AM SURE ALL AGREE) OF MERELY SOURCING IMPORTS, RELABELLING AND SITTING ON THE FENCE WTHOUT CONTROVERSY – DOING NOTHING FLAWLESSLY!

So check out our website... re very latest versions 2015/2016 (MK4) “replacement top strut mounts” for AUDI to VOLVO and our “adjustable bushing kits”.

K-MAC – always 1st with the 3 essential product requirements;
    “strength”, “durability” and “adjustment range”

INSIST ON GENUINE K-MAC – DONT BE SOLD SUBSTITUTES

strong first post

"this is going to go well"
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 17-12-15 at 02:47 PM.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Well, I now feel Coached!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Did a fucking robot type that reply? Felt like I was reading a call centre script of something!

The grammar hurt my head. I'd never have known K-Mac is shit if they hadn't dug up this old post, either.
    2005 VZ SS 5.7L M6 Ute

THANK YOU SO MUCH to K-MAC for bringing this thread to our attention.

Looking back I was UNAWARE of the injustices being brought against K-MAC a little over 4 YEARS AGO!

Thanks to K-MAC, I am going to place an order with GROUND CONTROL as I didn't know they made SWAY BAR END LINKS for my CAR.

K-MAC is my NUMBER ONE source for links to SUSPENSION websites. THANKS GUYS.