Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWD Hillclimber/ thing

AWD Hillclimber/ thing

So AWD is not so uncommon these days, BUT, Nissans aren't light and the rest are FWD based and suffer from understeer......

Putting a FWD drivetrain in the rear is piss easy but an FWD drivetrain AWD take off is now pointing in the wrong direction...

How to turn it around?

I think I've found the answer.

Honda CRV Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1378_DSC_0612.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	89053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc02015.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	89054

I think it would be possible to unbolt the take off to the rear diff and rotate it 180 degrees, the bolt holes will not line up but I'm sure that can be overcome, it will then point forward under the sump, mount the rear diff upside down at the front, et voila, mid engine AWD !

Fit all that into this Name:  IMG_2597.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  257.3 KB

Add Boost to the B20 or K24....Whats not to love?

I reckon it could actually crack sub 3 sec. 0-100 km

You can make enough power from a K24,(The Ariel Atom uses the K20) manualise the auto and add paddle shift and I think it would do it.

AWD would add a little weight, but 700 kg would be a reasonable target weight.

Why not a flipped diff Subaru setup? All available these days.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Surely this is the best idea for lightweight AWD.

http://palatov.com/cars/d4gallery.html

image hosting sites
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Subaru is exactly what I'm trying to get away from, they are pox, infact they are worse than that.

I'm afraid I'm just not into bike powered things, I'm a diesel mechanic and appreciate Torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    Subaru is exactly what I'm trying to get away from, they are pox, infact they are worse than that.

I'm afraid I'm just not into bike powered things, I'm a diesel mechanic and appreciate Torque.
    Do something diesel then.

our old pickups (maz bt-50's) were doing 350hp/800nm torques with a 34mm inlet restrictors.... those cunts hammered (3 seconds a lap off the lambo's/fezza's/porka's etc etc) on our local track.

Fuck how time flies.

those pickup pics are 2 years old.

This is the current stable !!

Last edited by Fondles; 24-12-15 at 08:29 PM.

I think sadev makes a tranverse Gearbox that would suit. it won't be cheap though.

Oldsmobile toronado drivetrain front and rear.

Who doesn't like two big block olds motors?
    Do not listen to anything this man says. They are insane, illogical thoughts propagated by us, the voices in his head.

this is the 205 t16's drive train

'01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '05 CR250
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '80 1200 Ute
    '12 Transit

Looks ideal to me!

CRV will be made from components carved from billet toothpicks.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    Oldsmobile toronado drivetrain front and rear.

Who doesn't like two big block olds motors?
    Do it cheap - Use a FWD gearbox/engine package from something fast, then put another in the rear of the car.
    Use engineering magic to connect the throttles, gear linkage, and clutches.

Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    Do it cheap - Use a FWD gearbox/engine package from something fast, then put another in the rear of the car.
    Or stop fucking around and buy a radical

But I don't want to buy something. I would like to build something and waste many hours and dollars doing it....

The Peugeot drivetrain is very good and the Ford RS 200 is even better, but not so common, whereas CRVs are everywhere. I'm not to concerned about driveline strength, when the weight is reduced stress is reduced. Halving the vehicle weight, it will likely survive.

Meh
    FWIW one of the contraptions on my list of things to do is to rebuild my old KE-55 Corolla rally car. It's getting a 2.7 litre Suzuki V6 (hoping for about 300 hp) and I've got a Ford Sierra 4WD gearbox sitting downstairs for it. Putting a WRX rear end in the back and I'll figure out something for the front.
    Not hugely expensive to do.

But I don't want to buy something. I would like to build something and waste many hours and dollars doing it....
    Good call...

Reminds me of a hillclimb car someone in the Waiuku car club built. Mazda 323 4WD turbo with a 2WD auto front cut grafted onto it, giving a twin engine 6WD twinsteer...

Edit: Found a picture of it (on some obscure website I ran across somehow...) http://www.billzilla.org/6wheel1.jpg
    Last edited by Ratchet; 25-12-15 at 06:28 PM.

I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Thanks man, I knew that car existed but that was all. The beauty of the CRV is that I think I can do it without adaptor plate and extended shaft. But yes that is very much what I'm thinking.

is the CRV box any good for putting decent power + traction + abuse though?

in the long term its probably better to do more work adapting a decent box to start off with (assuming the CRV is pooh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

gt4 parts for awd mr2? its been thought of before but nobody has done it afaik

I have no idea about the CRV box, as mentioned initially I thought go with the auto, tricked up to fully manualise it / paddle shift and up the pressures to handle the grunt.

I suspect the CRV box has the same gearset as every other Honda box and therefore can be upgraded, but give no fucks for such things at this point.

It is a long way from finding a donor vehicle, building a chassis, fabricating uprights/suspension, wiring, plumbing radiator/s, fitting pedals etc etc etc I'd worry about the box after all of that is sorted, and the vehicle has proven it is quick but eats transmissions....hell it might not eat transmissions, might be all good, don't know till you try.

I'm not interested in road reg at this point but I have a mate who may be if the concept works.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    use a FWD motor/box, put it in sideways and run one drivesahft to the front diff and the other to the rear?

would probably end up looking more like this than a 7

?? would need 2 X 1:1 angle drive boxes as diffs, poor idea.

GTR box with an engine that spins opposite way to normal (ie B series honda or something)?
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

FWIW one of the contraptions on my list of things to do is to rebuild my old KE-55 Corolla rally car. It's getting a 2.7 litre Suzuki V6 (hoping for about 300 hp) and I've got a Ford Sierra 4WD gearbox sitting downstairs for it. Putting a WRX rear end in the back and I'll figure out something for the front.
    Not hugely expensive to do.
    I suspect those 2.7 suzuki motors are a good thing, certainly light. Wouldn't you just use another subaru rear diff at the front mounted upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    GTR box with an engine that spins opposite way to normal (ie B series honda or something)?
    Do you know what those things weigh? C'mon you should, and they ain't light.

Meh
    I suspect those 2.7 suzuki motors are a good thing, certainly light. Wouldn't you just use another subaru rear diff at the front mounted upside down?
    Depends on which way the front output shaft spins, but yeah something like that. I was going to move the engine back far enough to put a conventional diff up front.

There may be a couple of classic minis in the UK running a full crv drivetrain. I have seen a few honda awd boxes being referenced in vtec mini threads, but im unsure if any were ever built.

If I was to guess, I'd say go for a k24 powered CRV (might be k20, not sure). They will have the strongest gearbags and the engines have much more potential than the b series (only the poo b20 non vtec in the original crv). The original CRV had some weird issue where they would shit the centre coupling if you reveresed up hill too quickly.

bomb proof though, and a tricky centre diff which would be advantageous

the sierra boxes would probably be a fair bit lighter, but the sierra guys normally upgrade their boxes to GTR's when they start breaking things. and only a crappy viscous centre diff iirc