Thread: 7MGE MX83 intermittent issues

7MGE MX83 intermittent issues

Hey guys,

Mrs Nite's MX83 has been having weird running issues lately where it randomly will lose power. It feels like it's flooding, which is odd, it being EFI.

It usually happens under load or when cornering, mainly uphill and to stop it I have to slowly lift throttle and slowly re-apply it. I've recently replaced the distributor cap & rotor button. Leads are Top Gun and in pretty decent condition.

The auto box is fairly tired and is also having it's own problems, randomly shifting down or taking too long to shift up, mainly in OD.

I'm leaning towards it being fuel issue, maybe pressure or delivery, but I'm starting to run out of ideas so throw some at me.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Try and get a fuel pressure guage so you can see what is happening when the problem occurs.. My oldies mazda had a similar problem and was fuel pressure related. New pump and all good.

blocked fuel filter or crap in the tank maybe?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    yeah check fuel filter but also

these get a build up of oil or water in the spark plug valley

make sure your cam covers are screwed down as they come undone all the time, then clean the valley out

other issue is burnt out rotor button but that replaced as u say
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Is it too early to call BHG?

Do these have the flapper/vane type airflow meter as per the MA70 7Ms?
    Yes we Chemistry

loves the Cressy
    Wondering if you may have the classic Toyota ECU issues, where the capacitors fritz out. Prior to my JZ powered MX83 having its computer refurbed, it had issues with over fuelling 4 cylinders and not fuelling at all in 2 cylinders. It also had the odd bit of weirdness with the auto. All apparently fixed with the computer repair.

Something to think about, if the other suggestions come to nil.
    Cheers, Richard

MX83 Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE Twin Turbo JZX81 Motor, Fr Suspension in, tailshaft made & installed, bigger fuel pump in, zorst, wiring, fmic done (thanks jzk25) BA rotors R33 Calipers Now REGISTERED going well
    '92 & '94 TF Holden Rodeo 2.8 TurboDiesel 4WDs - Daily Driver regular breaker/backup ute
    MS85 Crown Super Sedan - Farm Car - Running 3rd 4M - Future project
    '66 Jaguar E-Type 4.2 Manual Coupe
    '66 Jaguar S-Type 3.8 Auto Sedan
    - Long Term Jobs

Thanks guys.

As an update, I've decided that it's not actually bogging down, but the engine is actually cutting out for a split second, sometimes two or three. It was quite bad on the way home today, and the check engine light kept coming on, varying in time from 10 seconds to about 3 minutes.

Robbo: It did have some oil in the spark plug galleries a few months ago, but I went round and tightened all the crappy screws as they were quite loose and I think most of it would've burnt off by now. I've seen people suggest changing them with bolts, but I haven't been able to find out what types.

lumpy: Yeah, the air-box has a big noisy metal flap in it, when I start the car it makes a "clink clink" noise.

Richard: As per above, once I realised that it actually seems to be cutting out, I'm starting to suspect that the ECU might be on the way out, thanks for somewhat validating my idea. On saying that, what'd be the best bet... get a replacement one and just hope that it's buggered either, or get this one repaired somehow?

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by Nitephyre; 25-11-11 at 06:14 PM.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Oil won't burn off the head, you'll have to remove it and clean it.

Imagine what would happen internally if the outside of the head got hot enough to burnt he oil.

Eh, that makes sense... such a pain in the arse to clean it out

On a brighter note, Deceiver just happens to have an ECU for $50 which I'll try out, can't be any worse, hopefully
    Last edited by Nitephyre; 25-11-11 at 06:40 PM.

Checked this thread out on your advice.

I'm going to call it ECU caps. Just about every Toyota from that era had dramas with them.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Sounds like a similar issue to my 3rz powered hilux that i'm currently working through (with little success). I swapped out my fuel filter, brown/muddy fuel came out the dirty side. Going to flush the tank/lines/pickup on the weekend and cross my fingers. It's going to be a cuntly job, 115L tank in the hilux and it looks like solid steel!

Does your car run an air flow meter? Definitely worth giving that a proper cleaning out and test it's resistance as per your service manual. You can also test to see the voltage dropping/rising as you blow through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Thanks John... that second line is quasi-gibberish to me, though I get the idea of what you're saying.

I'll give cheap ECU a try and go from there

Real life axe man Justin Bieber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcSandyAxe View Post

Does your car run an air flow meter? Definitely worth giving that a proper cleaning out and test it's resistance as per your service manual. You can also test to see the voltage dropping/rising as you blow through it.
    http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../mafm/insp.pdf

That's what the quasi-gibberish is relating too
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    Trump v Clinton is like cheering for the clap or genital warts. Either way it's gonna be ugly....

Ah, gotchya

Well, I'm back to where I started... unfortunately the ECU isn't the problem unless in a pure stroke of Fuck You, I got another dud one.... doubt it though. Thanks for trying to help out though Deceiver!

After more diagnosis, it doesn't matter now whether it's uphill, downhill, flat, highway etc, it'll do it. Seems to be after about 30mins or so of driving is when it starts to get cranky. It does chew through the coolant a fair bit, it has to be topped up every fortnight, but there's no indication of milky oil etc, so I guess there might just be a tiny leak somewhere, not enough to leave a puddle.

So, what else should I be looking at and should I focus more on electrical or mechanical?

When it's not misbehaving, it still has smooth enough power delivery and will happily get up to 130 or so.
    Last edited by Nitephyre; 12-12-11 at 09:03 AM.

Aaannnnnnd now, cunting no. 6 spark plug snapped in half while I was trying to remove it... fucking fantastic. Hopefully the cunt isn't fused into the head or some shit... if it is, I'll need to find a 1GZ stat

If engine light comes on, check it for codes
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Done that, it reckons all is hunky-dory. New spark plugs in (yay, no damage) but still the occasional stutter/miss/cut-out whatever it is.

I found a hole in the big round canister thing after the AFM/MAF(?), so I expertly gaffer taped that hoping it'd help, no dice I cleaned the oil out of the plug galleries as well. It also gets this slugdy build-up in the oil return pipe that goes from cam covers to plenum, is that normal?

So now that spark seems to be covered, I guess I look at fuel delivery etc?

Another thing to add is that after the 30mins or so of driving and it does the cutting out thing, if it sits idling for a bit the revs start going spastic and it'll ramp up to 2000rpm or so then drop down to about 800, rinse & repeat.

Could that mean the idle control valve/solenoid/thing or throttle position sensor (if it has one)?

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    2JZ will fix this.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

That may be the case, but it isn't practical

So as above, could it be the Idle Control Solenoid (?) shitting itself?

umm logic tells me fuel pump or reg...

Have you checked the AFM yet? My old 7m used to do some weird shit when it rained similar to the symptoms you describe, turned out the AFM was leaking a bit as the seal around the electronics bit had perished and condensate would form in there, making it go wack. (The flapper/vane is attached to a little arm that drags across a contact strip telling the engine which position the vane is in) The short term fix was removing the cover, cleaning it out, checking the voltages etc and then sticking it back together with a heap of silicon.

It also used to consume a bit of water without making the oil milky or obviouly leaking, however it consumed a lot of oil as well (like 1L per 150kms)!

The longer term fix was a 1jz. Just saying.
    Yes we Chemistry

Did this ever get solved, I have to look at a car with exact same symptoms.

My first thought was ecu caps because it just drops the revs and engine light flicks like it's losing power.

check the ignitor module, common for them to die when hot
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Holy fucking thread mine, Batgirl!

Yes, it got solved by being traded in on a Suzuki Alto not long after this thread

The poor Alto then got written off in 2014 and replaced with an i30

At the time I did swap ECUs but it didn't solve the problem which I think was gearbox related. Think I still have that ECU in the garage too, along with some of the small corner mudflaps and a rear numberplate garnish. Should get rid of them, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Is it too early to call BHG? Do these have the flapper/vane type airflow meter as per the MA70 7Ms?
    Both these.

I've lost count of the 7MGTE BHG jobs I've done. The thing should have come with winged nuts to make the job easier.

Sound electrical. Do the usual tests as well as the fuel ones above. Also, IIRC these things had a host of vacuum lines going into the manifold. Have a quick check of those whilst you're inn that infernal mess of an engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Both these.

I've lost count of the 7MGTE BHG jobs I've done. The thing should have come with winged nuts to make the job easier.

Sound electrical. Do the usual tests as well as the fuel ones above. Also, IIRC these things had a host of vacuum lines going into the manifold. Have a quick check of those whilst you're inn that infernal mess of an engine bay.
    Once you cook them the head go's soft and does not matter how many gaskets you throw at them they are fucked
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Ok, so I was able to spend a little time on this only.

I extracted the fault codes and got code 11 for ECU losing power supply. (The info I have states this is either wiring, ecu or ecu relay related)

I tend to believe this is what's happening the ecu loses power for like a split second you loose revs/power and engine light flicks on, then split second later it's all normal again.

I removed the ecu and inspected but the dodgy caps mustn't affect these ecu it visually looked all ok.

I'm not sure what relay code 11 would relate to, the efi main relay under the bonnet or the circuit opening relay under the kick panel, which i thought was mainly for the air flow meter to control the fuel pump mainly?

I swapped the main relay over, cleared codes and will see what happens after the bloke drives it.

I wish it wasn't intermittant and just stopped, would be easy to diagnose then.