Thread: Hand Grenade Navara D22

Hand Grenade Navara D22

Picked this up last week, 06 D22 dual cab Navara with circa 240,000k's on it. Very happy with condition for the price but has a few issues I need to sort

1/ Overheating - Fine around town but will begin to overheat almost religously at anything over 100km/h...have done a radiator flush but will try a new thermostat and give that a try

2/ No service manual... No idea when anything has been serviced, but going off the colour of the oil, Its likely everything is due. As such, I plan to do a full service on it.. Engine oil, oil filter, diesel filter, both diffs, transfer case, regrease wheel bearings..anything ive missed that I should look at? Do these need timing chain replacement/valve clearances looked at after xxxxxx/km's? (ZD30DDT)

Anyway, Having a ball in my first 4wd, climbing alot of things I wouldnt have expected to get close to in a stock 4x4.

Pics

309587_10150366184802030_663942029_8372715_1556091 187_n by Crais W, on Flickr

392031_10150366184707030_663942029_8372714_2150376 57_n by Crais W, on Flickr
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Overheating sounds like radiator. Flushes don't really do much especially if it's pretty fucked. It's worth pulling it out though and blowing any shit out of it that gets sucked against the front of the core from the fan. If you use compressed air don't blow too close you can do damage.

Also make sure the fan is working. When the engine is up to temp, turn it off and see how easy the fan freewheels. Should have a bit of resistance and not spin too easy.

Next thing would be a new rad or get the old one serviced properly where they uncrimp the tanks and give the core a proper clean.

Can't think of any other service items that you haven't covered. They're a fairly hardy weapon just do regular oil changes like any diesel

Ive had one of these for 4yrs now and its been a great work rig. Mine gets hot too if u give it some on the highway for a period of time. From what ive read it will be the radiator, just replace it as its a common problem, haven't done mine yet though. They are good utes, been very happy with mine. Change the oil every 5000 though and dont use 20/50, i use 15/40 nulon.
    Hr under construction

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Tried servicing the engine fan? Never done it, but apparently they need gel added now and then so they lock in properly.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

If the fan was buggered, it would overheat below 100km/h (esp sitting at the lights), but be ok at speed. Is the system holding pressure?

sounds like a cracked head zd30s are good at it

Quote Originally Posted by samdumbert View Post
    sounds like a cracked head zd30s are good at it
    +1
    be very careful mate,ZD30s cook number 4 pistons if left unchecked nissan just stuck there head in the sand over it,a few simple mods can alleviate the problem,a 3" exhaust reduces exhaust gas temps which is the cause for all/most ZD30 engine failures,as does a mod to the egr system to retract the exhaust gas straight out the exhaust and not back through the intake to reburn,or eat its own shit......... so to speak.
    take it to a deisel doctor of your choice for some expert advice,before you blow it and your bank balance sky high

to a google search on Zd30s you'll see what Im talking about.
    Last edited by gbanger; 27-11-11 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbanger View Post
    +1
    be very careful mate,ZD30s cook number 4 pistons if left unchecked nissan just stuck there head in the sand over it,a few simple mods can alleviate the problem,a 3" exhaust reduces exhaust gas temps which is the cause for all/most ZD30 engine failures,as does a mod to the egr system to retract the exhaust gas straight out the exhaust and not back through the intake to reburn,or eat its own shit......... so to speak.
    take it to a deisel doctor of your choice for some expert advice,before you blow it and your bank balance sky high

to a google search on Zd30s you'll see what Im talking about.
    Its a navara not a patrol. Same engine different management system and turbo. Do your reseach properly before you jump on the zd30 bandwagon and make uninformed posts.
    Hr under construction

Quote Originally Posted by hrt5l View Post
    Its a navara not a patrol. Same engine different management system and turbo. Do your reseach properly before you jump on the zd30 bandwagon and make uninformed posts.
    fuck sorry man ,Ill run every thing by you before I post in the future .........you telling me you've never herd of a navara ZD letting go.

oh and every second post here is uniformed.

well looks like wishful thinking has paid off. nothing wrong with the head, just a very severely blocked radiator..around 80%. will throw up a pic later on. either way its a big load off my mind and am now looking forward to getting into things i was too scared to due to overheating risk.

as for the zd30, ive still heard of #3 letting go on the nav, but nowhere near as common..cracking heads seems to be more the navara's thing, but Im taking it withe same sorta mindset that was mentioned in the greatwall thread. go on any single make model forum, and you would be convinced they are the biggest heap of shit around. no one ever posts that its a-ok.
    '09 VE SS

You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

I've had my turbo deisel D22 STR navara for 5 years now, paid the thing off today in fact. Best truck I've ever owned and super capable in mud, sand, or anything else you care to think of. Only issue I ever had was a non functioning passenger front window that needed some contacts cleaned on the switch and it was good as gold.

I've put a straight through 2.5" exhaust on mine with no mufflers for extra whoosh and whistle, made a marked difference to mid range torque. Also have an aftermarket chip here that I never got around to installing and a bunch of other bits like factory foglights and a brand new front bar.

Come to think of it I have a full set of factory wheels that have 0 kays on them and a full set of patrol wheels with legal tyres that would suit too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

how many k's on yours now? now that i've fixed the overheating it drives like new, but the k's on mine is a little worrying.

Details on the chip?
    '09 VE SS

I bought an 03 in Dec last year.

Had a leak in the Radiator, replaced that and was still losing water.

Just got the news the head has a hair line crack in it.

Will be doing the EGR, exhaust and intercooler once I get it back.

Other then that I've loved every min of owning it.

Just had mine destroy a piston. I've got 3inch dump blocked egr and serviced every 5k. Just ordered full rebuilt kit from precision international for $1100. Using patrol pistons (thicker rings) removing egr butterfly got some old heads to cut up to see if we can open the ports up more. Intercooler, turbo, catch can, boost controller and tune aswell. Will start a thread later

Oh god they are fuckin shit. Life is too short to own zd30s.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Unlucky. I sold mine to the old man last year when I bought my amaroks, the only issue he has had was a broken egr line that needed rewelding about 3 months ago. Other than that its been good as gold and never missed a beat.

I don't get all the ZD30 hate, but maybe I just had a good egg.

Ive been waiting for it to pop. 270000k old on original motor 2002 build i think its done well. Precision pistons have some sort of coating or something to stop pistons cracking. We have rebuilt alot of zd30s with these kits never to have a problem. Yes the zd had faults but alot of models do. Ranger/Bt50 v6 crapperdores cam chains yd25 cam chains ect. I dont love the thing but its simple goes ok for mods ive done and great on fuel even when towing

Had my 05 d22 for 6 years now just clocked 200,000 and hasn't missed a beat apart from the turbo stuffing an oil seal.

duramax conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Unlucky. I sold mine to the old man last year when I bought my amaroks, the only issue he has had was a broken egr line that needed rewelding about 3 months ago. Other than that its been good as gold and never missed a beat.

I don't get all the ZD30 hate, but maybe I just had a good egg.
    the problems with them was mainly in the patrols. but its clear they werent over engineered like most diesels are. shame really, they arent too bad otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    They can actually put out a huge amount of power when worked pretty hard, at the least the Patrol ones can anyway. Any engine will blow with eratic engine management. I wouldn't own one in a Patrol unless it was CRD though.

The problem is egts watch them as they over fuel at cruise cracking pistons. So add more boost. Problem fixed.

So after my brother has had this for a couple of years, I've now got this nugget back in my life, and again its trying its hardest to cook itself.

Im thinking either cracked head, or blown headgasket. I put a pressure relief cap on the radiator, and realised that if i relieve the pressure once i park, I wont have a problem on the next drive. this method was going okay for a little while the one time i forgot to do that, and the ute hasnt been started since. that was about 6 months ago now. Im pretty much expecting to have to replace the head now, what prep do i need to do to the block when i do?

also the turbo is covered in oil...any ideas what rebuilding one would cost?
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mister2 View Post
    I bought an 03 in Dec last year.

Had a leak in the Radiator, replaced that and was still losing water.

Just got the news the head has a hair line crack in it.

Will be doing the EGR, exhaust and intercooler once I get it back.

Other then that I've loved every min of owning it.
    Mine had been trouble free for the last two years until exactly this.
    16yo radiator had a pinhole, new radiator is bubbling gently at idle.
    The previous owner put a brand new head/turbo/alternator on it so I bought it.
    I blocked the EGR and did the swirl solenoid mod the day after I bought it.

What are the chances the head isn't cracked and throwing a new gasket in will fix it?
    Last edited by awdmoke; 11-05-17 at 11:33 AM.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

im silently hoping thats the case with mine too...but honestly mine has been far too hot far too often, so i dont have much faith there.

im also concerned that its had water in the bores for the last few months that its been sitting.
    '09 VE SS

Bore scope will probably tell you what's going on before pulling the head.

Turbo's are worth nothing. Chuck a Forefront special with a Forefront cooler or even a stock D40 YD25 unit on as they are supposed to be a good thing.

nah, sold the shitbox to scrad for $800 instead, bought a Hyundai Tucson, which is more suitable given my use.
    '09 VE SS

Hopefully scrad turfs the donk and fits an LSx of some description then.