Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New track for NSW

2.8km? too small and too far away.

lakeside is only 2.4km and that's a pretty good circuit. i wouldn't discount it just on that alone anyway

The MGCC extension application?

The tarmac has already been laid and the new surface will see competition before the end of the year...

The track planned for the adjacent land by a third party is an entirely different kettle of fish and I have nfi what's happening with it.

Quote Originally Posted by blownhemi View Post
    Add Winton to that list too.

You city fella's need to expend your horizons. When Canberra was operating a dragstrip I was travelling down to race at every meeting, despite the fact that we had ECR to race at as well, mainly because Canberra ran bracket meetings where ECR only ran pure grudge/street meetings except for the odd national meet every blue moon.
    Yeah but issue is you can't bundle the missus and your kids into the car for a ten hour round trip to go to a race meet. It means that it's an overnight trip at the very least meaning accom extra food etc. Families in the capital cities just won't bother. Personally I don't mind travelling, it's a 3.5-4hr trip to Wakefield for me and i do it every other month to go racing. But i certainly wouldn't put myself thru the torment of bringing a whinging missus and kids on that trip just to spectate at a race meet. Week long holiday yes, race meet no. We need something like this within 2hrs of Sydney. Melbourne can go jump they are already spoilt for choice!

STFU and support it!

Wagga needs this cunts we have nothing else!

Amen

Quote Originally Posted by big_pete View Post
    STFU and support it!

Wagga needs this cunts we have nothing else!
    Quoted for truth.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicevo View Post
    We need something like this within 2hrs of Sydney.
    Why are Sydney people special ?

Should we have enough tracks in the state that no-one needs to travel more than 2 hours ?

Families in the capital cities just won't bother.
    Families elsewhere manage OK. Mine come down to Wakefield with me (10 hour return trip), cheap motel for the night before the meeting / fish and chips for dinner / drive home after the meeting finishes - that's only a small percentage of the racing budget.
    Last edited by dave1600; 16-07-13 at 07:43 PM.

LS7 Prius = Proper HYBRID Walt Kowalski's Avatar
    Yeah but issue is you can't bundle the missus and your kids into the car for a ten hour round trip to go to a race meet. It means that it's an overnight trip at the very least meaning accom extra food etc. Families in the capital cities just won't bother. Personally I don't mind travelling, it's a 3.5-4hr trip to Wakefield for me and i do it every other month to go racing. But i certainly wouldn't put myself thru the torment of bringing a whinging missus and kids on that trip just to spectate at a race meet. Week long holiday yes, race meet no. We need something like this within 2hrs of Sydney. Melbourne can go jump they are already spoilt for choice!
    It will be a really good track Mick. And closer to you than Winton. They are not saying too much because its a "driver education" centre. But they had tacit ok from Perich (not that they needed it) BEFORE I started the thread and BEFORE they started the whole process to copy certain sections of his old place. And some from far west of Sydney too. It has a lot of undulation and will be worth the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1600 View Post
    Why are Sydney people special ?

Should we have enough tracks in the state that no-one needs to travel more than 2 hours ?

Sydney with a population of 4.6 million isn't treated special. There should be 2 or 3 tracks here, not 1.
    Really hope the track in Wagga gets up though. The more the merrier!

^ Agreed,

I was talking from a business case view not that Sydney is special, i don't even live in Shitney. All i'm saying is a track 2hrs from Sydney (especially to the west) would service Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong, Goulburn, Canberra, Bathurst etc etc, there would be a massive high population catchment of maybe 7-8 million people within a 2-3hr drive. Massive potential there for a track promoter/operator and also to be used as a proper racetrack and attract proper high level domestic and international events.

The wagga track would be lucky to have a catchment of 1 million within a 2-3hr drive.

That's my point.

Meh beggers can't be choosers, i am sure i will attend the Wagga track maybe once per year if that and only to race, not to spectate. I'd attend a track like i'm proposing, maybe 6 times a year to both race and also spectate events and i'd bring the family to spectate a high level event if it was only 2-3hrs drive max.

This popped up on Facebook in regards to the Wagga Racetrack

Jason has been down to the council and spent about 2 hours reading through the amended application for the racetrack development here in Wagga. All the required noise, environmental, visual etc impact studies have been done, and it looks pretty good, it seems that all the concerns raised have been addressed.

Problem is that people need to lodge any opinions by the 5/5/14. so we need to get as any people as possible to email into the council a quick letter voicing their desire for the development to be approved.

Below is a brief letter put together so that people can copy into their own email, modify it how you feel fit and them email it through to the council. It needs to emailed to:

council@wagga.nsw.gov.au and marked attention to Leanne Frow

SAMPLE LETTER - copy & paste into your own email and modify if you wish. Then email as above by the 5th May 2014 (copy the text below into your own email)

ATTENTION: Leanne Frow, Wagga Wagga City Council

Hello Leanne,

I am writing to you in regard to proposed Motor Racing Track and Driver Education Centre. (DA11/0625)

I believe that the Wagga Wagga City Council should approve this development as it would be hugely beneficial to the Wagga Wagga community. Not only from an economic point of view for the business it will bring in to the city but also very importantly the ability to provide young drivers with further education and skills that will help them from becoming a tragic statistic.

Wagga Wagga needs a facility like this not only to support the local motorsport enthusiasts, but to bring others into the city. Competitors and enthusiasts from our area have for far too long had to travel to other facilities and centres to enjoy their sport. In doing so they are taking valuable income from the city and spending it elsewhere. If the facility were to be established more of this money would be kept local as well as much more being brought into the local economy from out of town competitors and enthusiasts.

I understand that this form of sport is not appealing to all people and that a small number of people would be against this type of development, however I think the overall benefit to the local community would far out way the negative impact that some may experience. With this in mind I urge the Wagga Wagga City council to look favourably upon this application.

Yours Sincerely,

Pretty good letter ^ Emphasising what a circuit would bring to local business is the way to go. Just look at how Warwick benefits from Morgan Park - accommodation, food, businesses that cater for motorsports.
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Doesn't need many people to send letters either - I sent one in supporting the new track in Newcastle, and got a response from the council a while back. In it, they detailed the number of responses, and from memory it was under 100 including both for and against. My point being, even an extra 20 or 30 letters in support may help out.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1600 View Post
    Doesn't need many people to send letters either - I sent one in supporting the new track in Newcastle, and got a response from the council a while back. In it, they detailed the number of responses, and from memory it was under 100 including both for and against. My point being, even an extra 20 or 30 letters in support may help out.
    Also it comes down to politics.

If it is assessed and approved inside Council by delegated authority, the planners/engineers won't care about the letters so much. They assess it in terms of impacts and legislative compliance.

If it goes to a Council meeting, then the Councillors will only care about their own voters. Those outside the shire won't really be taken notice of.

The best thing to do is to get as many people inside the Shire to contact Council supporting it. That way if it does go before a Council meeting, they will vote for it as they can see it will be a vote winner.

That said, if they are inclined to support it, the regional economic benefits, as illustrated by outside support, will be beneficial.

I'm not saying don't write in in support. Just be aware that this is the environment in which you are operating.

You would think that proposals like this should go out to Cams and Car clubs who can also support and lend weight to the positive comments?

CAMS have anything to do with promoting the building of new tracks? They have more important things to do, like........ummmm.....
    Richard's DatsunZ lappin LakesidZ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47OSh...&feature=g-upl

“Freedom of speech does not protect you from the consequences of saying stupid shit.”
    ― Jim C. Hines

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
    ― Daniel Patrick Moynihan

“Four hostile newspapers are more to be feared than a thousand bayonets..”
    ― Napoleon Bonaparte

Last edited by Walt Kowalski; 28-10-14 at 08:00 AM.

How? Looks as if we can 'like' a page but didn't see any petition or the like to sign?

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Sydney will never work. Hardly anyone goes to Eastern Creek and thats a good facility! The land in the Sydney basin is worth too much as housing. Melbourne is different as it is flat all the way to Sydney.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
    How? Looks as if we can 'like' a page but didn't see any petition or the like to sign?
    http://www.waggadistrictcarclub.org/news.aspx

Copy the letter and send to wagga council

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Sydney will never work. Hardly anyone goes to Eastern Creek and thats a good facility! The land in the Sydney basin is worth too much as housing. Melbourne is different as it is flat all the way to Sydney.
    Bs eastern creek is booked out for ages for events every weekend.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Bs eastern creek is booked out for ages for events every weekend.
    And they still don't make money.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

No one goes to Eastern Creek to spectate because it producers shit racing and the only
    reason its booked out is because its Sydneys only track. DER

Oh look. It's Mr Positive again.
    Smug elitist wanker since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    No one goes to Eastern Creek to spectate because it producers shit racing and the only
    reason its booked out is because its Sydneys only track. DER
    It was always booked out even when oran park was still around. At least it has decent facilities, oran park was a great circuit and great to spectate from but they didnt spend a cent on amenities since it was built the goat track out to oran park north was rediculous.

If you think getting into or out of eastern creek is bad oran park was ten times worse after an event like the v8s. Fucking awesome track and an absolute shame its gone spent many weekends there as it was 15 mins from home.
    If in doubt power out

Sounds promising

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/st...-light/?cs=148

Wokolena racing development on track for green light

COUNCIL has tonight voted in favour of passing a motion to build a $3.78 million motorsport complex on Wokolena Road.

About 150 people from the motorsport industry in favour of the privately-funded development, and local farmers against it filled tonight's policy and strategy meeting that heard from both parties over two-and-a-half hours.

Nine councillors debated for a further hour before a five-four vote passed the motion to accept the recommendation containing 74 conditions.

Gary Salvestro, speaking on behalf of the applicants AN Aviation, defended queries on initial plans to incorporate an independent driving school into the complex - now limited only to driver training for the sport of motor racing.

"It was always our intention, we'll continue on until we get everything in place," he assured.

Riverina Motorsport Complex chairman Daryl Day defended noise concerns by stating Oura had a 43db ambient level at 10am on a Saturday, while 25 super V8s (which is only included in stage three with major races) would have a 37db start-up level.

Fire risk would be dealt with by way of signage and liaising with the rural fire service, but he conceded the condition of Wokolena Road was an issue.

David O'Donnell, a lawyer of 40 years, opened the addresses on behalf of the Wokolena farmers, claiming the development failed to comply with the Local Environment Policy.

Keri Huxley, sharing the floor with Wokolena farmer Lachlan Harris, called it a "selfish development in a RU1 zone (primary production rural zone)."

She highlighted the land adjacent was classed by the state government as biophysical strategic land and had concerns of waste contamination.

Mr Harris told the chamber that fire was a concern given the proposed site was 3.5km from the highway and a one-way access point was unsuitable.

The meeting heard Mr Harris lived only 2.5km from the proposed site and noise was a concern given he could hear Oura residents from the village located a similar distance away.

A final decision will be made at the monthly council meeting in two weeks.

Dunno how ol' lawyer mate doesn't think it complies given that a recreation facility (major) is permissible in the zone and is defined as a building or place used for large-scale sporting or recreation activities that are attended by large numbers of people whether regularly or periodically, and includes theme parks, sports stadiums, showgrounds, racecourses and motor racing tracks.
    Smug elitist wanker since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by id View Post
    Dunno how ol' lawyer mate doesn't think it complies given that a recreation facility (major) is permissible in the zone and is defined as a building or place used for large-scale sporting or recreation activities that are attended by large numbers of people whether regularly or periodically, and includes theme parks, sports stadiums, showgrounds, racecourses and motor racing tracks.
    Maybe there's a job for you in this? If I had your Quals I'd contact the Developer?

Quote Originally Posted by 260DET View Post
    CAMS have anything to do with promoting the building of new tracks? They have more important things to do, like........ummmm.....
    Perhaps CAMS might get involved if developers took the time to talk to them from the start.