Thread: statutory write off laws in nsw

statutory write off laws in nsw

So I buy this car from pickles to take engine and gearbox out of. However it seems not much damage only rh front if car has a small hit with damage to bonnet guard and bumper.
    now the rta guide says its not registerable again. But in certain circumstances you could ask for it to be reconsidered.

Has anyone been through this process how hard was it?

Cheers

Muz
    97 vvti supra

anti swede changes to the rules mean effectively this can't be done.

Its kinda bullshit when these sorts of cars are generally written off for economic reasons.. but this will (i assume) reduce their value at the auctions, which should ultimatley lead to cars not being written off as easily..
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Awesome Swedish Bricks dave_vic_ozz's Avatar
    Word on the street is - NO.

Story here I think - Car had expensive radio / sat nav stolen. Car write off. No way to drive it again even if dash is Radio-less.

I think Vic made some changes when lots of perfectly good cars were written off after a hail storm but unsure.

I don't think any car given a stat write off can ever be registered anywhere in AU.

HTH.

Not even if you bring it to Vic? Thats pretty retarded.

GOV: "Instead of allocating resources to sorting the lebo theft problem, lets just smash the insurance industry and bin cars that could easily be on the road again".

Then again, if those "stat writeoff wrecks" drop in value then why not start buying and selling them overseas legit..

There's a guy with a write off W427 which has applied for special consideration based on the limited run of the car and the significance in having it re-registered.

He was denied.

wasnt that w427 major fucked thou ?

I recall southo posted a few cars that got written off for minor shit and he also posted the price of some parts that cars requiered to be fixed, $4k head light and $10k airbag rings a bell
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

On Fordforums a guy went through a bit of hassle to get a Tickford TE50 allowed to be repaired, had to proove that it was a limited run car and eventually it was allowed.
    It was only minor damage, but because the parts are so expensive it didnt take much to write it off.

You pretty much have to have a special or limited edition car, and you have to apply to get it repaired and it must be approved before you start any work on it i think.

Pretty sure the guy with the w427 bought it and repaired it then applied to get it passed. I remember seeing a pic and it wasnt that bad.
    Evo X MR
    Snap On Classic 96 roll cab
    with riser and locker
    No race cars

Quote Originally Posted by Sucker View Post
    You pretty much have to have a special or limited edition car, and you have to apply to get it repaired and it must be approved before you start any work on it i think.

Pretty sure the guy with the w427 bought it and repaired it then applied to get it passed. I remember seeing a pic and it wasnt that bad.
    the W427 im thinking about was fucked up big time head on lambo green colour
    Quote Originally Posted by ITS60S View Post
    Some say he's roger cordia without the disability pension and shaving cream, others say his bus windows are licked clean every day - all we know is he's called boothy.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be

i have sexdaily, i mean dyslexia

The one seedy is talking about is white i think, needed a new rear qtr panel and door.

I think you also have to own the car to get it passed, you cant buy a rare write off and try to get it repaired and passed. You have to be the original owner and show proof of the repair process and parts used.
    Evo X MR
    with riser and locker
    No race cars

Looks worse then i remember, but definaitly repairable.

Evo X MR
    with riser and locker
    No race cars

Autoerotic Mummification TonyJZX's Avatar
    bees?
    Quote Originally Posted by boxxx

Deutsche Bahn Rail: Trains are a great way to get lots of people concentrated into a small area, like a camp.
    ACA/TT: Where's the line between a car enthusiast and hoon? There is none

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sucker View Post
    Looks worse then i remember, but definaitly repairable.

That would have been a Stat even under the old rules
    No 4 on the Cessnock Street Outlaws list

2011 Westfield Arrow 20v
    Ls1 Nitrous Rodeo
    2014 Sylva Riot
    1964 El Camino
    1996 HD sporty

Seen similar and worse repaired. Also seen a lot less written off. There is no real definition or line as to when a car should be written off or not. I have spoke to assesors who have said a the owner wants to keep the car and they would get nothing for salvage so repair it. Then they would write off another because the think the owner is going to be nothing but trouble and compain non stop so write off a car. The cars would be valued the same and cost the same to repair, just up to the assesor on the day.
    Evo X MR
    with riser and locker
    No race cars

sucker, there are definitions and lines to car write off requirements,

in qld its 14 points firewall is X many points, each rail is X many, each suspension corner is X many, pillars are x many,over 14points and its a statutory write off, also the assessors are required to work on % values, each company has a different value vs repair cost % limit. other factors come into play such as agreed value or market value, customer`s claim/premium history etc

assessors are always being watched by the people above them in the food chain and are often audited by higher ranking staff to make sure they`re playing by the companies rules and criteria,often being hauled over the coals to explain decisions they`ve made
    Last edited by 15UZU; 07-01-12 at 09:57 AM.

Its easy to get them registered, just a bit of stuffing around. Here's how you do it:

Repair car
    Send to QLD
    Get Vehicle inspection and registered at QLD address.
    Send to NSW
    Cash in QLD rego
    Get blue slip
    Drive car

Awesome Swedish Bricks dave_vic_ozz's Avatar
    ^^^^^

So VIN = "Write off - never to be reregistered" on the computer system in NSW means nothing?

it matters not where it is being re-registered,if the vehicle was originally NSW rego`d it is a stat in every state

or ask these guys http://www.wovi.com.au
    Last edited by 15UZU; 08-01-12 at 05:09 PM.

No, a stat write off from any state can't be registered in NSW or elsewhere (except for a NSW stat which can only be reregistered in NSW after being given authorisation to repair by RMS - only an eligible person can be granted authorisation to repair an eligible vehicle ie. last registered operator).

If it's a repairable write off from outside NSW after 31 January 2011 it must first be registered outside NSW before being eligible for registration in NSW.
    Last edited by Covert; 08-01-12 at 05:15 PM.

I will get more details when the next one comes through my shop. There are a few guys around here doing it. Before the laws changed I was blue slipping cars for these guys, which then went to the RTA for an inspection. Now these same guys are still fixing write offs, they are just sending them to QLD for rego then sending them back.

The ones going to you are NSW repairables written off before 31 January 2011 and interstate repairables from any date. These are the ones going through QLD and ACT clearance. They aren't stat write offs.
    Last edited by Covert; 10-01-12 at 12:58 PM.

So why are they going to QLD? I thought the cars written off before that date had some time to still get them cleared in NSW? Maybe they are buying WOV's from interstate?