Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AC/DC TIG option - cheaper CIG FYI

New AC/DC TIG option - cheaper CIG FYI

I have been toying with buying a decent AC/DC TIG for a little while now, and apart from the $4.5k price tag, quite like this machine:

http://apac.thermadyne.com/south-pac...dID=974&brand=

Talking to a CIG rep yesterday, he tells me they are bringing out a new machine in April, same specs as the above, aimed at the home hobbyist, for about $1.6k to compete with the chinese ones from Unimig etc. It will still be a full inverter and microprocessor controlled, just made in China as opposed to where ever they make the other machines to get the cost low. I'm in no hurry (already got MIG and ARC!) so will wait and see what this new one looks like.
    A slow day at the track is better than any day in the office.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    thats a good price for an acadaca one, i was thinking about getting a DC TIG for nice pipe work on stainless but this looks like a much better option.

Devils in the details, none of these are sold with cooling systems or water cooled torches, something you must have if welding alloy or using 100A or up on ferrous. Cooling units range from $800-$2k. Keep this in mind when buying a chinese tig or if you think your Kemppi is dirt cheap.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

If you are going to buy one wait for MkII noshit.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Also heard about this in the grapevine that CIG are goin to bring out a more afordable tig, im currently looking into upgrading and getting my self a new ACDC tig.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Devils in the details, none of these are sold with cooling systems or water cooled torches, something you must have if welding alloy or using 100A or up on ferrous. Cooling units range from $800-$2k. Keep this in mind when buying a chinese tig or if you think your Kemppi is dirt cheap.
    your rite about welding with alloy, i been using my transformer machine this weekend welding some alloy, probably welding with only about 120amps, the tourch dosnt stay cool for long

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Ebay torch = $80 + garden hose = free, what am I missing here for a hobby welder?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Some torches will alloy a direct water feed, some run a pressurised system and you need a cooling unit to flow water through it as it has to reach a certain pressure to crack a valve and allow flow.

You could spend a day gerry rigging shit together and making it work but it's not a sustainable way to do it.

You can just about guarantee that the cheap CIG Tig will be a generic chinese tig with blue paint on it.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

The expensive CIG's are just recoloured thermalarc's anyway. I imported mine from the US and saved about 60% off the CIG price even with the bloody expensive DHL shipping and shitty aus $ at the time
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 17-01-12 at 02:54 PM.

Thermadyne set up their own plants in China so it's not like a yum cha Chinese machine. The basic bits like plastics and packaging and cases are make in China and the fancy stuff like valves and electronics are mostly made in Australia/ America/ Europe. I reckon their setup is extremely good at taking the best aspects of each manufacturing environment (but you do pay a premium for it for sure).
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Looks like this unit is now avaliable.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cigweld-W...item4164cfd598

RNJ Fabrication
    After the problems mates have had with water cooled stuff I would never even think about a water cooled torch.
    Mate dropped 6.5k on a kempi. Water system was crap. Died. Got replaced and lasted a day. Took it back and got one without the water cooling and 3k back. Has worked great for 4 years now. Can weld all day building alloy camper trailers with just tool gloves on. It really doesn't get hot.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RNJ Fabrication
    Design-Machining-Welding
    RNJfabrication@yahoo.com
    04 0737 0736
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they work, they work well. My old work has a big ol Lincoln ac/dc tig with water cooled lead. Has a big plastic drum with electric water pump circulating water. There is enough volume to keep the welder running 4mm electrode on cast ally for hours. The trick is not to put water into a water cooled lead after its already warm. I split a tig lead when first learning. After using the machine without connecting the water I then connected it and water boiled in the lead and burst near the hand piece.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO78U View Post
    After the problems mates have had with water cooled stuff I would never even think about a water cooled torch.
    Mate dropped 6.5k on a kempi. Water system was crap. Died. Got replaced and lasted a day. Took it back and got one without the water cooling and 3k back. Has worked great for 4 years now. Can weld all day building alloy camper trailers with just tool gloves on. It really doesn't get hot.
    Exactly our kemppi dosent have water cooled torch and it's fine.. You can hold it flat out at 220amps for half hour and it gets a little hot but nothing bad..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

It wont weld aluminium in TIG mode, only mild/stainless steel, Chuck

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Oh, ok thanks
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 11.6 at 124mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

https://www.swswelding.com.au/produc...200-tig-welder

Dis one

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

But I'd go a Unitig or a Lincoln for similar money

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Chuck, if you wanna weld aluminium with the tig, look for AC/DC (not just DC) and HF start. Scratch start is for gay 1950s arc welders.

if your ok with slightly ugly welds (ok really ugly until you master the process) then you can weld alloy with the mig, but you need a spool gun attachment. And make sure the mig is a pulse mig.

apart from that it looks pretty fancy. Cant comment on longevity as it looks pretty new to the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Cigweld Weldskill 200 AC/DC, brought one myself 6 months ago and recommend it.
    '93 6SPD T04Z UZA80 Supra
    '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra
    '97 5SPD Corolla RallyX Shitbox

PF F1 SuperBru Tipping Champion '15 & '16

Chuck the unitig 200 with a pedal is the best welding entry level AC/DC unit I've used by a long way and they don't seem to have any issues and I've put a number of mates on them.

Or give me $2.5k and i'll sell you my Miller syncrowave 250

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    Yeah another vote for Unitig machines, when my BOC Smootharc AC/DC unit shits itself (about 7 years old now?) imma gonna get me one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

NSW supra club Member
    Unimig 200 ac/dc tig welder, or unimig razor digital 200 ac/dc welder? What would be the difference between the two other then one having a digital interface and being a lot smaller/lighter? which one would be the better one to get?
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W174
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W172

Other choices i like are ( all are ac/dc )
    Everalst powertig 200: http://www.everlast-welders.com.au/p...PowerTIG_200DX

tokentools alupulse 200: https://weldingstore.tokentools.com....ls-alupulse200
    tokentools metalmaster 210 pro: https://weldingstore.tokentools.com....-welder-210pro

Cigweld weldskill 200: https://sydneytools.com.au/cigweld-w...GPsBoCVxPw_wcB

Unimigs are cheapest from $1300 to $1500 and they have a great deal now with foot pedal included, with 3y warranty.
    Tokentools and CIG are similar in the $1600 range. Tokentools have a great warranty 5 years.
    Everalst are from $1600 to $2300 for the better spec ones.

Willing to spend up to $2k on the machine.
    I have a Unimig mig welder already, and its been going for 10 years, but want to try my hands on a ac/dc machine to weld some alloys. What should i go for my first Tig welder?
    93 tt supra,black 6 speed
    --------------------------------
    SINGLE

I bought the unitig transformer a while ago, was writing a reply and realised the advertised pulse frequency and what's on the dial are different. Web specs and manual state 0.5-300 hz, dial says 2-200. Might contact them and see what the go is there. Kind of regret not spending more on an inverter, but it does a decent job for the money. The digital readout only displays max. amps, whereas the cigweld displays each parameter as you adjust it. Not sure about other brands/models. W174 dials only have min and max printed so you don't know exactly where you're at on all other settings.

The unitig pedal is pretty clunky, and 30kg vs 10 is a big difference. I'd say the inverters are worth the extra, but the transformer is ok if you don't want to spend more. From what I have researched, any lower in the market is risky re quality, warranty and backup.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZMAN View Post
    Unimig 200 ac/dc tig welder, or unimig razor digital 200 ac/dc welder? What would be the difference between the two other then one having a digital interface and being a lot smaller/lighter? which one would be the better one to get?
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W174
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W172

Other choices i like are ( all are ac/dc )
    Everalst powertig 200: http://www.everlast-welders.com.au/p...PowerTIG_200DX

tokentools alupulse 200: https://weldingstore.tokentools.com....ls-alupulse200
    tokentools metalmaster 210 pro: https://weldingstore.tokentools.com....-welder-210pro

Cigweld weldskill 200: https://sydneytools.com.au/cigweld-w...GPsBoCVxPw_wcB

Unimigs are cheapest from $1300 to $1500 and they have a great deal now with foot pedal included, with 3y warranty.
    Tokentools and CIG are similar in the $1600 range. Tokentools have a great warranty 5 years.
    Everalst are from $1600 to $2300 for the better spec ones.

Willing to spend up to $2k on the machine.
    I have a Unimig mig welder already, and its been going for 10 years, but want to try my hands on a ac/dc machine to weld some alloys. What should i go for my first Tig welder?
    Token tools Alupulse I've heard very good reviews about, meant to be an identical machince to the everlast and I love my everlast 210ext

Thoughts on the WIA weldarc 200i acdc? push button HF start. About $1500ish.

Seems lincoln distributors in aus aren't going to bring in the squarewave 200 which I've been waiting for as a first TIG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

FWIW, I bought my Cigweld Weldskill 200 amp AC/DC welder from Total Tools.

Blackwood's were running a promotion on them for $1,550 and Total Tools matched it. I also got about $75 store credit with their VIP loyalty thing they run.

The costs add up quick. I picked up a cart for $200, tungsten 10 packs for $30, fillers, cups ect. I need to buy a foot pedal next and they are around $300. The thumb control on the torch is a bit out of place for me. I seem to bump it a little when attempting to stack mad dimes (that have been ran over by a tra
    in...)

I don't know how they compare with other brands out there. I wanted one with pulse that I now never use anyway and a high frequency for AC welding. I found the dials and set up control panel a bit nicer than others I was looking at and I couldn't quite justify 4k + for a nicer machine.

I seem to get best results when I spend a lot of time prepping and having my hand in a comfortable spot before welding.

Quote Originally Posted by MAZMAN View Post
    My old boy is the Plumbing Shop foreman at Garden Island Naval Base (basically does a shitload of welding), he says the Tokens are a great welder. They have the big dollar Lincolns & Millers on the base & he says for what most of us would do, the Token would be comparable quality wise. I'm looking to get an AC/DC Tig at the moment aswell, as my current Tig is DC only.

using the 210 pro Token Tools and its great, happy with range of settings/parameters on it for aluminium, have welded cast right through to 7000 series with it. Personal preference regarding this but not a fan of the big tig hand piece, looking for a slide type remote instead of the dial type it comes with. A+ happy to weld with it all day.