Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New AC/DC TIG option - cheaper CIG FYI

Headux ACDC 200 or 200pro on that list.Cant fault mine, and I know nothing about welders. So that means a lot*italics
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Unimig Razor!!! Avoid the cigweld.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    +1 . Still really happy with my Unimig Razor.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Ah yeah, forgot about the Unimig, and I had kinda already ditched the Cigweld in my mind.

Cracka, can't see much info on that Headux one but I'll definitely look in to it.

Everlast came on to the radar as they seem to have a good rep, price is good too.

The Lincoln you linked to is DC only so no good for your ally surge tanks. They do a cheapish AC/DC one though which is in the same price range.

Also add TokenTools to your list. Have only had mine for a few months but have been very happy with it. 5 year warranty too.

Haven't tested this, but based on the specs the Everlast/TokenTools ones seemed to list a far better duty cycle compared to the cheap CIGs and Lincolns, etc... On paper at least, they are on par with the pro level ones costing $4-5k.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    The Lincoln you linked to is DC only so no good for your ally surge tanks. They do a cheapish AC/DC one though which is in the same price range.

Also add TokenTools to your list. Have only had mine for a few months but have been very happy with it. 5 year warranty too.

Haven't tested this, but based on the specs the Everlast/TokenTools ones seemed to list a far better duty cycle compared to the cheap CIGs and Lincolns, etc... On paper at least, they are on par with the pro level ones costing $4-5k.
    Yeah looks like I linked the wrong one, the AC/DC version is $200 more I think.
    Would be nice to check some out in person, although the Everlast is a bit thin on the ground. I'd rather buy in person incase there's any issues but not heaps of options where I live.

New AC/DC TIG option - cheaper CIG FYI

I would say the everlast but not he unit you put up. I would be going a machine that has 200amps not 185. It may not sound like much but when youíre welding 3-5mm aluminium that 15amps makes a difference. Food for thought.

I use a unimig razor AC/DC 200amp at work and canít fault it. I use a everlast 210ext at home and love it also.

Powercraft , cigweld
    Last edited by bang chong; 09-03-18 at 09:47 PM.

I have a cigweld. Maybe close to 2 years now. I've only had to replace the flex head. My only real complain is that the torch is a bit too big and becomes uncomfortable after a while but other than that it hasn't missed a beat.

I'll second the message that 200A is the way to go. When I bought the Jasic first thing I did was pull the covers to check the switching devices for current output capability, and found that my 200A machine had the boards installed from a 300A version. I installed the extra switches and adjusted the control board to give me an additional 25A, to be safe.

When I goofed one day and left the peak limit at 180A instead of maxed out, I was really feeling it on aluminum work. Still was able to do the job but the whole time was wondering what was wrong and why it was taking so much more time to make the join.

Quote Originally Posted by [RX3] View Post
    I have a cigweld. Maybe close to 2 years now. I've only had to replace the flex head. My only real complain is that the torch is a bit too big and becomes uncomfortable after a while but other than that it hasn't missed a beat.
    Speak to a supplier that has half an idea. My local supplier can get in a huge range of torches as Iím looking at getting a smaller flex head 200amp torch.

Yep, torches are totally swappable, you can go air/water cooled, and from a WP26 all the way down to the tiny little WP-9.

tokentools image, but shows a small selection of the range. They're cheap too, it's the welding leads that go on them that are costly.

and then you get into torches like this one.

They are somewhat less than cheap.
    Last edited by Xnke; 01-04-18 at 02:28 PM.

Im after a AC/DC TIG for home use.

A boilermaker friend suggested the WIA Weldarc 200i.
    https://www.welding.com.au/equipment...arc-200i-ac-dc

Any opinions?

I do like the idea that they are made in Aus (well, i believe they are), and very well supported here.

Scott/OKE20 has one of those. It's an absolute cunt of a thing, cant save settings, every time you turn it on it defaults to factory settings, and it seems to give you 20a more in some steps, and 0a more in other steps, regardless of what the display tells you.I was about to buy one until I played with his and puked in mouth, bought the Headux. I still can't weld, but at least my settings and jobs all stay in memory, and it's the same if i flick it off for 5mins and then back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Hrm, that doesnt sound great :/
    Has he had it looked at / repaired?

Unimig razor 200.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Unimig Razor Digital 200 it is.
    Picked one up yesterday

The hand power control wheel is useless. Need a pedal ASAP.

Does anyone know how the balance control works on these?
    It defaults to 0, and goes +10 or -10. Im not sure which is more or less cleaning.
    The manual doesn't say either.

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    Unimig Razor Digital 200 it is.
    Picked one up yesterday

The hand power control wheel is useless. Need a pedal ASAP.

Does anyone know how the balance control works on these?
    It defaults to 0, and goes +10 or -10. Im not sure which is more or less cleaning.
    The manual doesn't say either.
    I got a pedal with mine, used it once, I find the torch switch easier. Agree the control wheel appears to do nothing, but I can dial in the panel on the machine to achieve what I want.

I think you vary the cleaning with the pulse plus ac but not sure as I have not yet done any al with mine yet.

I gather being able to adjust current during the weld is essential for ally.
    Im finding near the start of a weld i need 80-100A, but need to be back at 50-60 at the end otherwise the puddle becomes far too big.
    Ive tried using the torch wheel to do that, but then its difficult to keep it steady.

Probably easier to just move a little faster as the job heats up rather than fiddle around with the wheel thingy.

New AC/DC TIG option - cheaper CIG FYI

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    I gather being able to adjust current during the weld is essential for ally.
    Im finding near the start of a weld i need 80-100A, but need to be back at 50-60 at the end otherwise the puddle becomes far too big.
    Ive tried using the torch wheel to do that, but then its difficult to keep it steady.
    You can change all that in your ramp settings. Have your starting current higher and your welding current lower.

I really like those torches with the variable amp wheels, I donít use it during a weld but more for when Iím changing position(from a butt weld to a fillet weld etc).

Also as suggested just pick up your travel speed to compensate for the job heating up
    Last edited by bang chong; 13-05-18 at 06:37 AM.