Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Door E30 beater.

Hahaha. What engine to put in it do you reckon?

Sensei Cobra
    If ever had another E30 I'd put a Lexus V8 in it. But that's just something I've wanted to do for about 12 years now.

What happened to the M3 engine you mentioned a few posts back?

What about a bit of old fashioned M30 mit exhaust driven supercharger. Torque monster.

Or a V12

M54, 3L. Kinda wasting my time because he can't decide on a price even though I offered up some cash :/

Ive got a turbo m30 sitting downstairs right now, but Ill be honest and say im kinda scared of it. Turbocharged M30 E30's don't seem to end in a beautiful friendship. Hahaha.

Would love a V8 in one, but an LS1 is a bastard of relocating shit, lexus would be too I reckon. But speaking to other LS1 powered E30 owners the torque destroys a bunch of shit too. Tailshafts, driveshafts (not the cv's, but snapping the shafts) diffs, etc. Sounds like a steady track of continually replacing shit till you find a setup that holds together for any meaningful period of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Not looking too bad for an old girl. Needs to be maybe half an inch lower at the front I think, but the stance is pretty good.

this would be one of my favourite threads on performance forums.
    It makes me keen to work on my 4 door!
    (please go either ls1, sr20 or 1uzfe so i dont have to fuck around so much when i do either one.)

Haha. BMW V8 maybe and keep it in the family? lol.

It would be nice if they were the same price as ls1's tho.
    Wonder if it would be worth shipping a motor from germany or wherever they are cheap.
    A friend of mine put an s54 (i think) into his e46 it was a nightmare with parts not being compatible and shit, and the vanos cost him a fortune to buy.
    having said that it sounds the goods.

THe car looks great mate.
    Pull your head in.

Quote Originally Posted by jellis View Post
    It would be nice if they were the same price as ls1's tho.
    Wonder if it would be worth shipping a motor from germany or wherever they are cheap.
    A friend of mine put an s54 (i think) into his e46 it was a nightmare with parts not being compatible and shit, and the vanos cost him a fortune to buy.
    having said that it sounds the goods.
    Problem with the S54 is the EWS stuff. If you want to run the original ECU you can pay anywhere up to $2000 having it modded to remove it so you can start the motor without having the original key and ignition barrel. It's not a big deal, but it can be costly and you need to factor it into the cost. Yeah, problem with bmw v8's is the cams are exy too. You can buy the v8's out here pretty cheap, they really aren't that expensive, the added cost comes from trying to source a manual to slot behind it. Manual 5 or 7 series are rare as hell out here, can find them in the US but you can still be stung $1200 for a gearbox to slot behind. Considering S62's (m5 v8) come up forsale with matching gearboxes for a couple grand more, they really aren't so cheap.

Cheers chad
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    Problem with the S54 is the EWS stuff. If you want to run the original ECU you can pay anywhere up to $2000 having it modded to remove it so you can start the motor without having the original key and ignition barrel. It's not a big deal, but it can be costly and you need to factor it into the cost. Yeah, problem with bmw v8's is the cams are exy too. You can buy the v8's out here pretty cheap, they really aren't that expensive, the added cost comes from trying to source a manual to slot behind it. Manual 5 or 7 series are rare as hell out here, can find them in the US but you can still be stung $1200 for a gearbox to slot behind. Considering S62's (m5 v8) come up forsale with matching gearboxes for a couple grand more, they really aren't so cheap.

Cheers chad
    im just about to go and have a beer with him.
    will give him shit about not getting the v8 then.

Ok, have now got a copy of the LS1 E30 "bible". The guys also make a bunch of parts to make the conversion easier, bolt up cross members, mounts, even a way around the brake booster issue. Some interest on e30 forums so I hope they start a new batch. LS1 sounds/looks like a good proposition now. Might start a new thread to find out what version is the best to start with.

http://e30ls1.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by Madhatr; 23-06-12 at 11:25 PM.

any updates on this?

Sensei Cobra
    I am comfortable with this current direction

CD came in the mail this week, need to find a printing place and get it printed/bound as the colour photos don't print well on my black and white laser printer. Skimmed through it quickly, looks about 50% useful stuff (wiring diagrams especially!), 30% useless stuff and 20% stuff that is just common sense.

Started working out a proper solution to an E30 rear end that won't die. Even with diff swaps the half shafts are a weak point (even with a 5 stud swap) and proper replacement uprated shafts are $1600 + shipping from the US. You normally don't see a lot of CV failures as they are pretty large (especially if you use the larger 930 ones) but they still usually twist the spline end of the shaft as it enters the stub axle. Been busy this week to sit down and make a bunch of phone calls, but simple idea is to have a billet spline end made which is pretty well in line with the US guys. Only difference I want to see if there is a common shaft that can be purchased off the shelf which can be utilised with the billet spline end if it is made to be removable (ie, bolts on). Local guy had something similar done to his RB26 powered 260z, so I can't see why it wouldn't work here. That way it would lower the cost of uprated shafts, but if you did manage to do a CV you could keep the billet spline end and just slot in a new shaft.

Really, REALLY need to find a good engineer though to see what I can do about a few things (like unassisted brakes), any ideas qld people?
    Last edited by Madhatr; 04-08-12 at 11:28 PM.

Information on the booster issue would be good, I really need to do something with mine. Brakes feel awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

yeah, I really, really want to run a dual master setup and ditch a booster all together.

Hmm, somewhere i seem to have lost a bunch of pics from some work ive done on the car in the last 6 months or so. The MAF kit came from Miller performance, fitted that up along with the chip and a 325i ECU with 19lb injectors and the car runs perfectly all the time now, even gets pretty good economy. Still don't know what the hell I did with the photos. Also did the front wheel bearings and front and rear swaybar bushes, all the fuel lines right through the car to the tanks, plus the orings on the tanks, and I fitted the stud kit to all the hubs so I no longer have to worry about trying to get bolts in while holding the wheel perfectly still (anyone with hubcentric wheels will know what a cunt this is).

Been traveling a bit for things the last few months so I haven't purchased much else other than the big brake kit from Lee @ Massive Brakes, and a few other bits and pieces like the subframe kit to raise the subframe up 12mm, plus some plates and eccentrics for toe adjustments on the rear. Not going to worry about camber because the subframe kit really fixes the problem by raising it up 12mm, brings it back to almost zero camber in the rear which is perfect. That and the position of the adjusters in the rear are a cunt to adjust with really tight spaces and just heaps of shit in the way, so if I can fix the camber without needing to worry about adjusters, im real fucking happy

But I spent some time this afternoon doing a wheel alignment and playing with rear wheel fitment on the car, trying out a few different spacers to see which works best (ill eventually have them welded to the wheel flanges to avoid trouble with the law), plus I lowered the rear slightly to get the rear tyres sitting pretty flush. Ill end up having to pull the guards a LOT when I put the 245's on the rear, but now running an 8mm hubcentric spacer, I've got a ton of space on the inside of the guard to play with. No problems with rubbing on anything at all now, plus it looks pretty sweet

Ill hunt around on all the cards ive got here for the photos, I know I saved them somewhere. Will order the pads this week and see if I can get the brakes fitted up this saturday after work.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 27-10-12 at 10:13 PM.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Many e30 parts at wreckers in bris?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Not many good ones it seems. Yeah, there are wreckers who deal in bmw stuff and you can usually find what you are looking for fairly easy, but it's quite often real expensive too. Get better deals just looking out for guys wrecking cars (various forums, etc) or picking up stuff off ebay.

Called pretty much everyone up here a couple weeks ago for a rear subframe, trailing arms and diff and the cheapest was $600 for everything I wanted. Can buy whole cars for that and sell the rest on to someone else.

Called pretty much everyone up here a couple weeks ago for a rear subframe, trailing arms and diff and the cheapest was $600 for everything I wanted. Can buy whole cars for that and sell the rest on to someone else.
    Had to send one of those to the scrappies as no-one wanted it, even the wrecker.

yeah, where as here, they know it usually ends up getting scrapped but still want $200 for a subframe.

Try Rob and KMJ Europartshttp://www.kmjeuroparts.com/

Phone 07 3279 4101

Mention Ben with E32/E30 2j's and he'll likely look after you.

I'll have access to a genuine one owner, *cough* low kays *cough* 1989 635 CSI motor and Getrag 5 speed gearbox soon if you want to jam a 3.5 litre 6 into it........ just to be different AND keep it BMW.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

I have both a turbocharged and a high comp NA M30 sitting downstairs, so I think that covers the M30 base. Also have what is supposed to be a cr box, sensors are in the right spot, but haven't connected a shifter to make sure.

I called them first BMWturbo, but they didnt seem that interested. Yeah, we should have something..... Not driving all that way on the basis of a should when I have to take time off work to get there

I called them first BMWturbo, but they didnt seem that interested. Yeah, we should have something..... Not driving all that way on the basis of a should when I have to take time off work to get there
    They can be a bit like that. What are you chasing specifically? 6cyl solid disc rear end? How complete?

I can try and drop by on my way through and see if they do in fact have something.

I really need a subframe and trailing arms as Im going to weld the supports into them before dropping the new rear end and axles into my car. Don't really care too much about driveshafts, discs, etc, as im getting new axles, plus ill put new bearings and rotors on it anyway, just can't remember if 4 and 6 cylinder subframes and trailing arms are the same. Im thinking the subframe is, but maybe the trailing arms are different. Would also love a 3.64 (or somewhere around there) rear end (188mm), basically trying to rebuild and strengthen the rear end so I can just unbolt mine and slot the new one in complete.

Trailing arms should look something like this once welded.

Did you ever get your rear end sorted out in the end?

Im planning on biting the bullet and buying a pair of DSS axles which have a good reputation and will put up with the abuse of a v8. Yeah, they are expensive, but when you start adding up the costs of having shafts built using 930 cv's anyway, you still have to do something about the spline end and go billet or chromolly, so the $800 each shaft doesn't seem so bad for brand new, proven shafts. Only thing I haven't decided on yet is to go with a torsen (quaife or wavetrac) or an upgraded 6 carbon clutch lsd from carbonetic. Kind of leaning towards the torsen, but going to end up being slugged with gst and duty if I go that way and will probably cost $400 more than the 6 clutch unit.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 31-10-12 at 10:44 PM.

Found a few photos of the MAF install. Can't seem to find the ones of splicing the loom, plus actually opening the Miller Package though, quite strange. All pretty simple though, ordered a MAF kit from Miller Performance in canada to suit a 325i "173" ECU and had them supply it to suit 19lb injectors which is a very common upgrade for m20's. https://www.millerperformancecars.co...ge=flypage.tpl

Fitting the chip was a breeze.

Unplug the ecu found under the drivers side panel below the steering wheel. Mine has a mass of bloody alarm wiring under here, so it was a bit of a cunt to get the ecu out. With it out, flip the ecu over and bend the flat tabs back that run around the edge of the cover.

With the cover off, simply follow the diagram from miller to locate the right chip (it's the one with the plastic retainer around it) and pry it out of the holder.

When I removed mine I found someone had already beaten me to it, looks like it was running some form of aftermarket chip/tune already.

Simple case of matching up the notch on the new chip with the one on the holder and pressing it down, into place.

With the wiring spliced and the ecu back in place, time to fit the MAF. This was a cunt of a job because, 1) I just replaced the rubber boot on the intake, so it was still very, very stiff, and 2) it's a tight stretch to get the boot over the 3.0" MAF, when the 2.7" matches the size of the stock bmw boot a whole lot better. Lots of soap, screwdrivers, cursing and a spare set of hands, the cunt was finally over the MAF and it was time to fit the other end to the pod filter. This went a whole lot easier thankfully as I could just push the end out of the pod filter and work on sliding it over the MAF first, then work the bung back into the filter with a small screwdriver. Can't believe it took nearly half an hour to do it, but it was finally together. Everything was so tight nothing was ever going to come off which was fortunate as one of the old hose clamps I took off was pretty sad and needed replacing, yet it was now after 5pm and I was shit out of luck till morning.

There it is fitted, certainly a different looking M20 engine bay now. If you have problems with your AFM and need to replace it, don't bother going to the wreckers for a used one, just order a MAF kit from miller and be done with it. Honestly, cost you around $400-$450, which is a bargain considering they'll still want $200+ for an old AFM from the wreckers. I went with a 3.0" diameter MAF because I was intending to run a 2.8L stroker while I made my mind up about which engine to slot into place. Wanted to get it all working on the 2L motor before swapping engines. As I said before, the 2L motor runs all the same injection gear as the 2.5l in the 325i, right down to ignition components too. The only difference is the 2.0L motor runs a different fuel pressure reg to lower the fuel pressure vs the 2.5L motor. Running the 325i ecu in the car was perfectly fine, started up as soon as I turned the key, then idled a little rough for about 10-15 seconds before everything smoothed out nicely. Gave the throttle a blip and found the hesitation was totally gone too, so chalk one up for an old dodgy BMW AFM.

When the motor comes out, the whole package will be forsale if anyone wants one for an M20. Will come complete with the pod, the MAF, boot, chipped 173 ECU, O2 Sensor, refurbished 19lb injectors and I might even throw in the already spliced engine loom so all anyone has to do is plug it all in. Done about 5000km since it has been in the car now and it's great, hasn't thrown one fault code since being installed and the car drives a whole lot better now. Yeah, it still uses fuel when pulling up hill because it's a slug, but around town it's averaging about 8L/100km which is pretty damn good. Actually, when I pull the motor some 325i (or stroker) owner should buy it complete and swap everything over to their motor as ive replaced the ENTIRE ignition and fuel system with brand new components. Should be enough to waken any M20 up I reckon.

Also, if all goes to plan, should have some photos and developments on the engine front. Largely standard, stock LS2 has gone right out the window.