Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 4 Door E30 beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    Did you ever get your rear end sorted out in the end?

Im planning on biting the bullet and buying a pair of DSS axles which have a good reputation and will put up with the abuse of a v8. Yeah, they are expensive, but when you start adding up the costs of having shafts built using 930 cv's anyway, you still have to do something about the spline end and go billet or chromolly, so the $800 each shaft doesn't seem so bad for brand new, proven shafts. Only thing I haven't decided on yet is to go with a torsen (quaife or wavetrac) or an upgraded 6 carbon clutch lsd from carbonetic. Kind of leaning towards the torsen, but going to end up being slugged with gst and duty if I go that way and will probably cost $400 more than the 6 clutch unit.
    Sorry mate, I missed this.

I have a 3.46 MED case LSD that I paid through the nose for when I first bought the shell that I won't be using, but intend for it's sale to fund the 210mm conversion. I also have a few other ratios in med case opens, 3.64 and 3.15

I have a modified E23 (I think) crossmember that I've welded the large case diff carrier to. It lookes twice as strong as a std E30/E36 compact crossmember. I'm trying to decide how to do the rear mounts now as I'll need to push the rear diff mount channel backwards to be able to get the sway bar back in. Large case occupies the same space as the swap bar.

I have E23/28/32/34 rear arms, with the upper shock mount - bolt on 'large' (930 compatible) CV's and the large case 3.15 or 3.64 diff. The large CV's have been coping abuse on the 7 for years now with a reasonably sharp shift kit fitted, so they'll cope with 750kgs less to push around.

I should be able to use E28 half shafts but thinking I'll go straight to 930 CV's and an off the shelf A/M shafts if I can find one the right size.

want to sell me the medium 3.64 open? The dss axles look like a pretty strong bit of kit, same cv's too, but that's not usually the weak point, its the splined end.

Supposed to be guaranteed for 700hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

The DSS's do looek pretty good and the fact that you don't need to muck around with all that much else makes them an attractive proposition. There's a fella on REV that has broken a bunch of std ones right where you say where the spline meets the CV cup.

The 3.64 came out of the 7, but for some reason has the top mount boses cast into the housing. It still has the E32 style backing plate and the CV front nose, so you'd need to change over to the 4 holed plate, assuming that is what your E30 has. But perfect if you only want it for the gearset.

Yeah, plan to put a wavetrac centre into it, have you got a pic of it at all? if it's still a medium case diff it's no problems swapping the rear cover over (might run a twin mount E36 style one anyway), plus I plan to have the diff rebuilt with the new centre, so changing the front flange will be ok too.

And yeah, I started pricing up just replacement new shafts and I figured I was nearly half way to the cost of a pair of DSS ones which are supposed to be good for the power and shouldn't be a problem having them rebuilt if the cv's wear out eventually. If I could have found someone to make me some, I would have got them here as I thought someone must be able to make billet or chromolly ends to survive the punishment, but nobody seemed that interested. Pricks will cost about $2000 for the pair by the time postage and stuff is paid for though
    Last edited by Madhatr; 05-11-12 at 12:20 PM.

The one on the left as removed direct from the car.

I'm assuming the DSS above is not www.dsscvaxle.com?

I had 4 shafts from (DSS) Diversified Shaft Solutions or (CFT)Component Forging Tech, wear out or explode in months on the 7.

I'm back to a set of 20YO factory BMW shafts again now with no issues.
    Last edited by BMWTurbo; 05-11-12 at 03:42 PM.

Nah, DSS = Drive Shaft Shop.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/bmw

They have a pretty good reputation for being bullshit free. So if they are claiming the shafts can handle 700hp, seems like they will.
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Nice build you got going With engineering seats you may have to brace the two plates with crossbars as the
    bolt patterns dogleg but if you join them its under normal perpendicular load from a single frame if you know what
    I mean?

I do, thanks

Have to see what actually happens when it comes time to engineer things, because after I explained it I was told if I used the original mounts on the seats and the original floor mounts for the car, I wouldn't need to worry about engineering anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWTurbo View Post
    The 3.64 came out of the 7, but for some reason has the top mount boses cast into the housing. It still has the E32 style backing plate and the CV front nose, so you'd need to change over to the 4 holed plate, assuming that is what your E30 has. But perfect if you only want it for the gearset.
    Wow, thats kind of weird. Looking at the pic it has the top mounts for the E28/E30 style subframe, but then it appears to have holes for the bracket to side mount it in a 5/7?

Wow, thats kind of weird. Looking at the pic it has the top mounts for the E28/E30 style subframe, but then it appears to have holes for the bracket to side mount it in a 5/7?
    I'm no expert in BMW diffs, but this is the only one I've seen that has both mounting options in the one casing. I have bolted the 32/34 bracket onto the large case in the photo, it came off the med case. It an '87 model and they did strange things with the earlies.

are the axle flanges the usual 6 x 3.4" bolt pattern?

Bottom end paid for, pickup saturday. Will have to change thread title as this beater will now be powered by a 427

Bottom end paid for, pickup saturday. Will have to change thread title as this beater will now be powered by a 427
    Awesome!

Re diff, in the pic is has the larger (930) output flanges, but I have E30 one's (small CV) that will go in to it.

Do you only have a small case in it currently?

Sensei Cobra
    Are you sure that will be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    Are you sure that will be enough?
    maybe I should go v12?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWTurbo View Post
    Awesome!

Re diff, in the pic is has the larger (930) output flanges, but I have E30 one's (small CV) that will go in to it.

Do you only have a small case in it currently?
    Yeah, only a 168mm with a 4.45:1 ratio. Probably only good for the bin. 6 x 3.40" is the standard medium case size for axle flanges though which is what im after. Only asking because I know the 5 and 7 series can be larger, so thought it best to check

Sensei Cobra
    maybe I should go v12?
    Yeah, I'd advise against that. No italics.

Jesus fuck!

Predicted eta to popping the windows out with torque?

Sorry.. 427 as in the 7L holden thingy?

no need for rego?

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    Yeah, I'd advise against that. No italics.
    What, having second thoughts now?

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Jesus fuck!

Predicted eta to popping the windows out with torque?
    It's kinda scary thinking about it actually, been reading a lot as it's a quick learning curve, similar spec bottom ends and good heads seem to put out anywhere from 550-600hp at the rears on a 7L. Even if you take away the bullshit factor and drop it by 10 or 15%, thats a lot of power (and torque). Um, ive got cash burning a hole in my pocket so im keen to get started on getting stuff together asap. Going to do the rear end first though as the motor will be the last thing to do. I reckon another month for the rest of the parts to be purchased and turn up, so maybe early next year I reckon is pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by TT View Post
    Sorry.. 427 as in the 7L holden thingy?
    Well, nothing to do with them, it's just a 5.7L block that has been rebuilt to 7L.

Quote Originally Posted by jellis View Post
    no need for rego?
    Well, I can run up to 6.2L legally given the weight, but I was talking this over with an engineer and my car is a personal import so it has a different compliance plate fitted which has a GVM of over 1300kg listed on it which would push me to 7L under the new rules. Besides, if it looks like and smells like a 5.7L, who's going to notice

Shit just got real!
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Sensei Cobra
    What, having second thoughts now?
    It is not a well worn path by any stretch and has definitely had it's challenges and at the end of this I'm going to have a stock V12 with intake a set of (fucking awesome sounding) pipes. Want more? That'll be another $15k for an everything custom forged rebuild. But how ya gonna know unless someone tries!

Knowing what I _now_ know, if either engine would fit in a given engine bay, I'd go the Chev any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Shit just got real!
    You know what this means, don't you?

Sensei Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    You know what this means, don't you?
    Hahahaha

I see Az has his red suit on

Come on cal, soon to be the slowest, most boring E30 on here.

Purchased a few things from Rev Shift tonight.

Diff spacer kit for when I raise the subframe as it throws the driveshaft angles out of whack.

A pair of diff mounts for the rear cover. Thought about it, will cost me about $30 to make up the second diff mount like in their diagram, so im going to give it a go and see if it works well enough before blowing $400+ on a twin ear rear cover that basically needs a whole new cross brace installed just to mount it.

And a new pair of engine mounts. Reading through the documents they recommend using the corvette engine mounts as they are stronger and better built than the E34 ones they used originally, while only being slightly thicker. So, of course, I went stronger again with the rev shift ones

https://www.revshift.com/

Going to make a decision on diffs tomorrow night and put in an order.

Come on cal, soon to be the slowest, most boring E30 on here.
    Mine? It's pretty boring. It's wrapped up motionless.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Ha! No wonder there's so much talk of diffs in here.

Sensei Cobra
    So, on the topic of diffs, why not just look at fitting something like an R200 from a Nissan? Heaps of ratios and LSD options, plenty strong enough, readily available, cheap etc etc. You'll need a custom tailshaft anyway and I had no trouble getting custom half shafts made to suit the Nissan inner and Merc outer CV's and it wasn't even that expensive.