Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 4 Door E30 beater.

How much is not that expensive?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Sensei Cobra
    From memory it was about $100 for the material and $500 to have the shafts cut, turned and splined. Cash cash.

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    So, on the topic of diffs, why not just look at fitting something like an R200 from a Nissan? Heaps of ratios and LSD options, plenty strong enough, readily available, cheap etc etc. You'll need a custom tailshaft anyway and I had no trouble getting custom half shafts made to suit the Nissan inner and Merc outer CV's and it wasn't even that expensive.
    because ive spent over $3000 on brakes and wheels and fitting an R200 isnt such a straight forward option anyway. When you add up the cost of buying a new lsd centre for the R200, new axles, plus having the diff rebuilt for the centre anyway, it will cost more to put one in than it will to buy the bmw stuff which bolts right in, even when you don't think about the wheels and brakes.

Price out parts for an R200. You'll find that the centres are no cheaper than the bmw items. (quaife and wavetrac units about $1300 new, os giken about $1600-$1700) and the axles (new) are only good for somewhere around 400ft/lbs anyway, so ill be back to the same situation im in with the bmw stuff. Could buy new ones and possibly break them as there are plenty of people running round on OEM ones with similar power levels that haven't snapped them yet, or I can buy something strong enough to start with and not have to worry about it.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 08-11-12 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Sensei Cobra
    I thought this was just a beater

Fair enough. I was only suggesting the R200 pumpkin though, not the whole rear subframe. So wheels and brakes wouldn't be an issue.

I did cheap out on my diff choice. I bought a whole Z32 300ZX TT rear subframe for $300. Has an R230 diff in it. Which is good, I'll never break it (certainly not now with no turbo). But it only has a single ratio readily available - 3.69, which is probably close to perfect for my Commodore T56 anyway, but is a VLSD and no other option for LSD either.

This thing is going to be manual, right? Right????
    Last edited by bahaimus; 08-11-12 at 01:12 PM.

Problem with the E30 is not so much the diff, etc, it's the size of the splined part of the axles which is obviously not designed for rear horsepower in mind. The bearing itself in the hub is kind of small for a decent sized axle that hasn't been treated or made out of stronger materials, so what people usually do is swap out for 5 series or M Coupe items which are much beefier and will largely bolt in. It's a cheap swap if you plan it from the start, for me it means the same again though, ditching brakes and wheels which im not really keen to do. Who knows? I might fuck everything up and be cursing all this shit in 12 months time. Just swapping in the R200 diff itself would still leave me out on the shafts though, so probably need to swap the whole rear end to take advantage i think.

Yeah, ive built cars in the past doing things cheaper with usedparts, but this time around I want to do it with new stuff I know is not going to break. Removing subframes and diffs from an E30 is one of those bastard jobs, lots of tight shit, lots of metal in the way, so I kind of don't really want to have to take stuff out again to replace broken bits. Plus, its the piece of mind sort of deal.

Yeah, of course, everyone seems to be telling me to buy an M12 T56 as it's "better", but im not sure why exactly apart from hearing it's a smoother shift, especially at higher speeds. Ive seen earlier M6 ones floating around for $1000-$1200 for a kit (box, tailshaft, clutch, etc) which im pretty happy to pay. I originally budgeted between $6000-$7000 for a motor and gearbox (being on what ive seen them sell for) when going for an LS2. So If I spend $1500 or so on the trans, it still leaves me over $1500 in the kitty for heads to put the rest of the motor together without blowing out on the budget. Of course, If I go over I've got the funds to cover it no problems, im just trying to keep it kind of tight so I don't go totally stupid (yeah, a 427 is a totally sane purchase, right?) and end up tipping in double the budget. hehehe.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 08-11-12 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Mine? It's pretty boring. It's wrapped up motionless.
    It's sad that my Eta E30 can't take out that prize. You win.

(Actually, I like the 2.7 once it gets moving but no skid-ripping ability with the auto)

There are far more garaged E30s in the world than driven, I'm sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    because ive spent over $..... or I can buy something strong enough to start with and not have to worry about it.
    Absolutely agree with this, nothing worse then having to remake/install/place stuff that 'might' cope, knowing you took the punt.

Quote Originally Posted by Its me View Post
    There are far more garaged E30s in the world than driven, I'm sure of it.
    WTF are you on about....

Bottom end picked up

Last edited by Madhatr; 11-11-12 at 07:04 PM.

ETA till complete and for sale for $5K?

Put my name up top please.

Yeah.... No chance . If I sell the car it would be the option of with, or without the motor (ie, I would put a stock 5.7L back in). I like the sound of TK doing some heads for 3k, so certainly plan to go ahead and get them done once I get the car running. Be one of those motors you keep for awhile I reckon, end up in a few cars over the years.
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Now it's firmly seated in my rumpus room, I can let in on what it is exactly and why I haven't said too much.

VY SS 5.7L block, re-sleeved to suit large stoke cranks, now 4.06" bore.

Lunati Pro Series Crankshaft - 4.125" Stroke
    Lunati 4340 Billet Machined Rods
    Lunati Pro Tru Forged Pistons
    Comp Cams Xfi XE-R camshaft (232/234 .595/.598 @112)
    Lunati Hi-RPM Hydraulic Roller Lifters
    Double Row Timing Chain Set
    ARP Stud kit.

Looking at the quality of the machining, have to read through the spec sheet but the previous owner said everything has been balanced and blueprinted, melling high flow oil pump fitted and supplied with sump, tray and baffle. Has never been run since built and still coated in assembly grease and ready to go.

The kicker, and why I kept quiet until I had picked it up is I only paid $3800 for the above.

Last edited by Madhatr; 11-11-12 at 08:22 PM.

any progress?

Registered User Cantilever Bridge's Avatar
    what brake booster setup you going to go for?

Yeap, progress is ive got a whole room full of parts at the moment, place is a mess. Haha, hope to get some of them in over the next couple of weeks while I have some holidays over christmas. Will make some posts over the weekend to update stuff. Hope to get the pedal box welded in, all the cylinders mounted and the brakes fitted and bled over my days off.

Gruelius, im not running a booster. 600 series tilton twin master pedal box, 6.2:1 ratio, twin 5/8" brake masters and a single 3/4" clutch master cylinder, ditching the booster and the linkage completely. Pedal box looks something like this.

Last edited by Madhatr; 20-12-12 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhatr View Post
    Yeap, progress is ive got a whole room full of parts at the moment, place is a mess. Haha, hope to get some of them in over the next couple of weeks while I have some holidays over christmas. Will make some posts over the weekend to update stuff. Hope to get the pedal box welded in, all the cylinders mounted and the brakes fitted and bled over my days off.

Gruelius, im not running a booster. 600 series tilton twin master pedal box, 6.2:1 ratio, twin 5/8" brake masters and a single 3/4" clutch master cylinder, ditching the booster and the linkage completely. Pedal box looks something like this.

thats never a bad thing

It is when they aren't in the car.

One of my axles turned up today, box torn to shit. Looks ok though, but fucking terrible packaging. You would think $1200 an axle would buy you some form of crate or strong box or something. Not just some bubble wrap and a shitty cardboard box.

Also, have gone with LS3 heads now too. Inlet manifold on the way, heads should be here after new years

Edit: Also forgot to say im going to pickup a built T-56 tomorrow too, mal wood seems to know how to make them not break in commodores, so a car a whole bunch lighter should never have any trouble.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 21-12-12 at 04:10 PM.

Fuck man it's going to be a handful!!!!

A little crazy im thinking. Haha. Two things will either happen. Ill drive it, and it'll scare the shit out of me at which point I hope to have found an impala in good enough condition to buy (been searching for about 18 months), or ill pull it off the road and have it fully caged. Some 255/40's arrived this week at work for it too and im already thinking they aren't anywhere NEAR big enough. Might have to start looking at M3 options, either buying a shell or guards and quarters and fit 275/40's under the rear.

Santa came early for me.

And underneath, rebuilt T56

And here is a bit of the stuff ive got to go in it over the holidays

I never wanted an E30 till now. Props to you good sir

You should totally buy one

I'll just wait till you're finished this and don't want it any more after scares th fuck out of you!!!

I unpacked one of the driveshafts this morning, holy fuck are they huge. Think CV's the size of both your fists together. Need to pull a stock shaft to give a side by side, but they are ginormous.

Sorted out parts, here are my brake/pedal box bits I hope to get in over the time off.

Wicked collection....

Goign to be an aminal.

Courier dropped off the last package while I was doing a little grocery shopping this arvo. Aside from their shitty packaging, im pretty much floored by the shafts made by the people at http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

The scale will probably only have real impact for E30 guys who know just how large the diff mount is (fyi, its 88mm in diameter) as I don't have a spare driveshaft laying around to compare at the moment, but they are fucking huge. Things weigh nearly 16kg each too, serious bit of metal.

Rated for a guarenteed 700hp and utilise the 930 style cv's, hopefully this will mean the end of ever breaking shafts. Can't wait to get these things in, will get a side by side of the stock ones when I get the rear subframe and diff from glen.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    that pedal box

Not really looking forward to pulling the dash out though, such a cunt of a job. haha.

What's the pedal box arrangement worth? I really want to start over with my current shit. Will the pedal box be legal as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Looking good. Also want detailed pics of pedal box install in case I ever fit those rowland manifolds and piss off my booster bearing in mind I haven;t even seen my 30 in nearly 4 years. What was that about E30s in garages and not being driven?
    '71 Honda Dax CT70
    '74 MR50
    '84 323i Stroker. Needs CPR.
    '85 KX125
    '91 RS125R Honda
    '96 RGV
    '98 RMX - buy this bloody thing, please.
    '03 4Runner 2UZ fuglyprado
    '01 XR50
    '02 KX250
    '02 VTR1000 SP2
    '05 KLX 110