Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Sweet car dude
    Bunky powered since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Sweet!

Funny how the engine bay of these looks identical to the Oz Valiants.

Where are you sourcing your engine? There's so many bloody options!
    Hey man. I'm ordering mine through CM Engines. Seem to have the best balance of quality bits and good prices. Whole setup from them will end up less than $10k landed in Aus, so seems to be pretty good. I have done a lot of searching around and ordering from the states seems the only way to go. Guys from CME were really helpfull when I emailed them too.

sooo much room for big block!! i rikey!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

That's stupidly cheap!

Will watch with interest, it's not worth rebuilding a 265 at that price.

Thats what I said. Was going to stroke out and rebuild the 383... But by the time you get alloy heads, stroker kit, someone to assemble short block... blah blah blah you are up for as much as a nice new 522 with all the bling and a dyno sheet to prove it. Made sense to me.
    I will do an update once I order the donk and keep everyone in the loop. Just need teh coinz now....

Ok so I got an update of sorts!
    Paid the deposit today for the engine from CME in the states. They are going to set aside a block for me. Motor should be ready to ship by the end of July. I ended going for their 522/550 combo but upgraded to Edelbrock victor heads and a roller cam, should make a lazy 600 horsepower on pump gas at 10:1 comp. Sweet.
    Also gearbox is crated ready to go to Brinks for an overhaul. Also body is getting prepped for the rest of the paint. Should have it rollin' into the transport dept. by middle of AUgust!!!!

Nice!
    2003 GU III PATROL
    1992 R32 GTST SKYLINE
    1986 4WD HILUX

Righto so a few updates from the weekend!!

Got the engine bay sanded back, primed and painted. Also re-did the shit job the painters had done around the windscreen (actually pulled the windscreen out which helped). Test fitted the new alloy radiator as well and it looks a treat.

The orange acrylic went down sweet with my new spray gun. I trialed some clear around the door jambs and it came out like fairy floss... I gave up and went on and googled some advice. Ended up thinning the clear a bit more and it sprayed better. Still not real smooth, but better. Anyone who has any advice on spraying clear acrylic I could really use it before I start spraying the body and making a mess!!

Also prepped up the fiberglass 6-pack hood for painting as well! Will get some pics of this tonight, but its looking sweet.

Couple of pics:
    Radiator fitted up, BLING!

A shit picture of my priming job

Painted and ready to rock

Should have some more updates after this weekend. Waiting for some graphics from the states to put on before I go over it with clear. Gearbox should be in pieces at Brinks by now too.

Fuck i need a better camera...

two pack clear goes down well on acrylic paints

Been talking to a spray painter today about just that. Rekons 2 pack clear will give it a nice finish. He is going to help me spray it so it won't look shit.
    It's all coming together now. Power steering is on its way from firm feel, box is at brinks, motor is being built.

Righto update time....
    So looking at the completely fucked out paint job that the car had, and taking into consideration the 30k worth of drivetrain I have decided to fuck off the acrylic disaster and re-do the whole car in 2-pack. Going with Cortez silver and clear coat, nice and shiney...
    So have sanded back the whole car over the last couple of months and tidied up all the body work. Everything is nice and straight and smooth now, like it fucking should be!
    So next week the high filler goes on, then week after it should be silver. Awesome!

In the interim have trial fitted the 6-pack hood which i painted too. Looks tough I rekon!

Gearbox should be back from brinks next week, so ill grab some photos of that too. Just gota send the torque converter away somewhere to get rebuilt as well.
    CME in the states have found me a block and are building the motor, so fingers crossed should see that sometime mid september!

I was expecting to find alot of bad shit when I sanded the car back, but have been very impressed so far!! the roof rails were absolutely mint, even the original spot welds are perfect. There doesnt seem to be a speck of rust anywhere, even under all that poorly applied bog....

Few pics anyway:

you should paint it matt black!!! with gloss black/ polished lip wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by RNS-11Z View Post
    you should paint it matt black!!! with gloss black/ polished lip wheels.

Yeah thought of that. It was in matt black primer when I bought it and looked mean as piss. Unfortunately the bodywork is not perfect enough for black. Would be scary though...

Gonna go silver gloss with black torque thrust d's (295 rears, 245 fronts) and the black hood. Should be scary enough I rekon....

Ha, good to see someone getting realistic with the resto work straight up instead of descending straight to painful full rebuild.

Matt black would look fucking awesome on this but silver will be classy as fuck too. And easier...

Righto so finally had some progress on the roadrunner again. Have spent the last 2 months doing body work, mainly sanding back the 5 different layers of paint on the thing. Everything is coming up really nicely. Primer is going on this evening, then a couple more weeks of rubbing back and tidying up before we take her down to the spray booth for some paint!

In the interim I trial fitted the new PWR radiator I bought and it looks sweet:

The new motor is currently in the build phase with CME in the states, should be going to dyno next week so hopefully I will have a dyno sheet to upload and I can order my new torque converter too.
    Couple of pics, check the sweet port job on the Victor heads:

Block and rotating assembly:

Love the thread mate, I have always had a soft spot for Roadrunners. Drop me a PM or an email if you ever run into problems getting stuff shipped, I will throw whatever you need in an envelope and accidentally forget the invoice. I've got a '69 El Camino that I'm putting back together right now - there's a thread here somewhere

Mate that is awesome! I will definitely hit you up some time! Unfortunately it looks like shipping costs have gone up a bit recently. Pretty much every order from Summit I do is costing me $150-$200 in shipping. Pain in the arse. I pretty much have everything I need now, bar a torque converter. I need to get some new bumpers as well, not sure how yet as air freight is like $400!!
    Will check out your el camino. They are a cool car. Toughness of a chevelle with the practicality of a ute. Legend!

check out 'just cars' magazine -there are some car importers who advertsie they will also ship parts for you - i presume in one of their containers .

ive never used such a service -so your mileage may vary

-but is maybe one option

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    check out 'just cars' magazine -there are some car importers who advertsie they will also ship parts for you - i presume in one of their containers .

ive never used such a service -so your mileage may vary

-but is maybe one option
    Yeah, I'm not in the freight business or anything and have no desire to figure a way to post a front bumper back to Oz. But if you need something small and you're getting reamed, just let me know; or likewise if they flat-out refuse to ship to Oz.

You can cover my shipping costs by sending me bags of Jaffas and tins of Milo

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Yeah, I'm not in the freight business or anything and have no desire to figure a way to post a front bumper back to Oz. But if you need something small and you're getting reamed, just let me know; or likewise if they flat-out refuse to ship to Oz.

You can cover my shipping costs by sending me bags of Jaffas and tins of Milo
    Sounds fair to me!
    Primer should be going on tomorrow, car is all masked up ready to rock and roll. I will upload some pics once its all grey again.

fair few mobs importing containers of stuff offering to put stuff in for a small fee. mate got a connection in melb though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Righto finally some more progress!! Got the primer on the big girl last night. Just got the doors and boot to do now and its ready to go into the booth for a nice coat of Mercury Silver metallic 2 pack! booyah!
    Luke spraying like a mad c$#t!

Even the primer looks better than the old paint job:

All primed with a bit of black guide coat on top:

So stoked to finally be making some progress!!

Shit yeah, cant wait to see this in the flesh!

I'm hoping to have it on the road by the xmas break, so I should have it down on the sunny coast for my 2 weeks off. Be awesome to get out for a PF cruise in it or something! Never actually driven the thing on the road!!!

Not much in terms of an update, but got some goodies in the mail!
    New set of door handles and some stickers for my 6-pack bonnet:

Also got a set of fabricated alloy rocker covers and some other bits from 440 source which I will get some photos of.
    Still waiting on the painter to get some more time free so we can finish the doors and boot!

Things are progressing well with the motor! The long block is all assembled, just waiting to put it on the dyno. All things considered should happen this week, then it will be on its way to me!
    Couple of photos from CME, looks pretty sweet.

Finishing the primer this week, just doing the boot and doors then final rub down for painting. Got new convo pro's en route for it as well, so should be fitting them up next week!

Righto, finally some decent progress!!! Engine is assembled, painted, dyno'd and looking awesome. It will be shipping today via air freight, should be waiting for me in Brissy in about a week (give or take a few days for customs etc). Motor is pretty much complete with carb, fuel pump, flex plate, blah blah blah.
    Got the dyno readout through too:

Should be enough torque for some pretty bloody serious burnouts... Hope the 295's are up to the task...
    Few pics below of the painted, completed motor. The Mopar rocker covers look horn, dont know if I will change them out now as I have some fabricated alloy covers instead, but I am kinda liking the black ones... hmmm.

As for the rest of the car, new convo pro's are sitting in boxes in my spare bedroom. New bumpers are here too and new trunk finish panel for the back as well:

The doors are getting primed today, then its just a matter of sanding back everything again before spraying the engine bay and door jams. Should have the whole kit down to the booth to finish up in a couple of weeks.

Also mounted up my B&M pro ratchet! Some dork had cut a massive hole out of the trans tunnel, so I made an aluminium patch up out of a road sign I obtained by completely legal means and sikiflexed / screwed it down. Mounted the shifter through this and into the trans tunnel so its rock solid. Should look tidy with some carpet etc:

Also picked up the paint... Holy shit, the stuff is like liquid gold!!
    2L of deltron Cortez Silver, 5L of 2-pack clear and hardner, 5L of thinners = $1,200....
    Fuck and I still need another 3L of silver to finish the car = $600.

Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end!

In other news I helped my mate out with his 1968 camaro again, finally got it all running and on the road. Its a real sweet looking ride now, full coil-over front end, new 502, tremek 5 speed etc. Took it for a lap around the block and its got some serious horsepower... Had to be careful not to get Mr Plod too excited...

And finally I decided to fuck my hand up with an angle grinder too. Got 6 stitches. Dont take the guards off your angle grinders... just some helpfull advice...

Next step will be painted engine bay and sticking the new donk in! YAY!

ouch

Ouch indeed. Reason 6(b) I don't to work on my cars (laziness being the first 3 reasons) is I always tend to almost lop a finger off.

Rest is looking awesome. Jesus, when you get used to sbc size, that is one big long motor! Looking forward to done.