Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post

Rest is looking awesome. Jesus, when you get used to sbc size, that is one big long motor! Looking forward to done.
    Yep, they is chunky but when you see a Hemi V8 next to one, then you go fark!

I do seem to remember the hemi taking up more lateral space... Both are awesome. But I'll keep counting myself lucky for needing sbc dimensions...

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    I do seem to remember the hemi taking up more lateral space... Both are awesome. But I'll keep counting myself lucky for needing sbc dimensions...
    The blocks are basically the same (minor differences) but the heads are fucking wiiiiiddeeee

Yeah I am pretty happy with the progress now, its really starting to move forward!! I am hoping to have it rolling under its own power again before xmas. Everything is basically ready to bolt back together. I have a whole room full of new bits I have been accumulating, all ready to bolt on!

Man Hemi's are huge. Even with the enormous engine bay of my car its a complete bitch cramming a hemi in there. The heads are nearly twice the width of a normal wedge heads, so you need special extractors and all that bullshit so they dont foul on the shock towers... Wicked motor, but for half the cash I got a wedge that makes the same horsepower. Its probably more bragging rights than anything else, so you can go "yeah, its got a hemi...."

Oi Darwin what are you restoring, just out of curiosity? Is your SBC the 340 or a 360? I have a mate with a 360 stroked to 408 in a Valiant VIP. Thing hauls arse on the drag strip, runs low 11's very consistently. Sick motor. Sounds angry as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by 68RNR View Post
    Its probably more bragging rights than anything else, so you can go "yeah, its got a hemi...."
    Exactly.

Arby's beast proves you can still make plenty of power with a wedge.

Yeah I am pretty happy with the progress now, its really starting to move forward!! I am hoping to have it rolling under its own power again before xmas. Everything is basically ready to bolt back together. I have a whole room full of new bits I have been accumulating, all ready to bolt on!

Man Hemi's are huge...Wicked motor, but for half the cash I got a wedge that makes the same horsepower. Its probably more bragging rights than anything else, so you can go "yeah, its got a hemi...."
    Quote Originally Posted by blownhemi View Post
    Exactly.
    Heh, that was about what I came up with looking into it. Apart from the hemi being freaking huge, the wedge heads seemed to make some pretty awesome power with no where near the price.

Oi Darwin what are you restoring, just out of curiosity? Is your SBC the 340 or a 360? I have a mate with a 360 stroked to 408 in a Valiant VIP. Thing hauls arse on the drag strip, runs low 11's very consistently. Sick motor. Sounds angry as fuck.
    Eh, no restoring at the moment unfortunately - absolutely no space in the current house/car hole for any spare vehicles. And shit gets stolen left out the front.

The daily/pretty much finished project is a twin turbo ve ssv (build thread on here somewhere, have since gotten rims and brakes too). So L98 not strictly sbc but same dimensions. Awesome daily. Not so awesome at making appointments with cuntstable useful though...

Have just signed on to starting the Geology degree for feb 2013 so will be moving about after graduation and as long as the industry doesn't get completely greened up the arse, I'll possibly have a bit more disposable cash than now. So if work is good and cash to be made, will possibly hang around Aus for a while to get the experience up and buy a cheap country block somewhere with shed.

Then... Hah ha... Will start with a noisy cranky thing in reasonable condition I might try my hand at doing a bit of work on. Really fucking annoyingly, was thinking about a pretty straight forward old gmh of some sort with a sbc conersion but threads like this have pretty thoroughly fucked that idea. Mopar is pretty fucking awesomo too... Good thing is, it'll doubtless be something along these lines as the nopics will always want a fun little turbo thing so that's covered!

Best thing about this place is the way it constantly throws sweet build threads at ya near-on every day.

This thing is tits.

As are the others.

Thanks man, good to see so many people who appreciate a bit of classic muscle! I am getting pretty excited now that everything is finally coming together. Fuck I was down on it for a while, got screwed around so much with the paint... All good now!
    Hey Darwin, funny story really, I'm a mining engineer working up in the coalfields in central queensland! Shoot me an email if you ever want any vacation work, i'll hook you up

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Lets get some more pics damnit!

I need to bust out the camera and take some proper snaps! once things are going back together i will take heaps! Cant get any decent shots now because its crammed into my tiny garage and I cant fit all 5.5m of the fuckin thing into the photo! :P

Righto so a bit more progress again yesterday! The last of the dry rubbing is DONE thanks fuck. I been blowing chunks of grey shit out of my nose for the last month. Hopefully now my sinuses can recover.
    Anyway, to give everyone an idea of what is involved in this here is the process to date:
    1. Pick up car in black primer. Cracked paint (dried out in the weather), all fucked up. Rusty floorpans but otherwise alright.
    2. Treat rust, tidy up floor pans.
    3. Painted by a bunch of fuckwits who did a terrible job
    4. Sand back all of the orange acrylic paint, cunt of a job, lots of blocked up sandpaper and swearing.
    5. Surface filler / bog where needed, smoothed out all the panels and cleaned up panel lines.
    5. Etch primer / primer filler over the whole car
    6. Sand back etch primer to remove orange peel and make smooth and nice

So now all thats left is to spray the door jams and engine bay in colour, reassemble the car (hang doors and boot), stick the engine in then run off down to the spray booth. Colour will be a single-pack metallic base with 4 coats of 2-pack clear over the top.

Few more photos:

And a couple more pics of my mate's camaro too because its sick:

Thats it for now. Should have the front panel painted in body colour and clear coated today, so I will be able to get an idea of the finished product. I'll get some pics tonight.

Fuck yeh nice one!!

What colour had you decided on? Back to orange or other?
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Nah she's going to be Cortez Silver. Orange looked cool but I think the more classic silver/ gun metal grey look will be better. I will have a finished bit of panel done tonight so I will take some pics for yez!

PM me for drugs/fake IDs Defender's Avatar
    Totally approve of this build .. going to look the goods, and go like a cut snake !

mmmm big block. Loving the idea of Silver, would look sweet with some of the factory chrome in matte or satin black.

Yeah I was thinking the same. Was originally going to put some black rims on it as well, but have gone convo pro's now anyway. It will have a satin black hood which should look pretty sweet. Was thinking of doing some of the engine bay bits and pieces in black too, like the brake booster and shit.

Where are the interior pics?

Man Hemi's are huge. Even with the enormous engine bay of my car its a complete bitch cramming a hemi in there. The heads are nearly twice the width of a normal wedge heads, so you need special extractors and all that bullshit so they dont foul on the shock towers... Wicked motor, but for half the cash I got a wedge that makes the same horsepower. Its probably more bragging rights than anything else, so you can go "yeah, its got a hemi...."
    Quote Originally Posted by blownhemi View Post
    Exactly.

Arby's beast proves you can still make plenty of power with a wedge.
    The Hemis really only start to pull ahead in topend power. A hemi with head work will still put out more power then a similar capacity wedge, it'll just do it with more revs, although the difference isn't as much as one would hope given the amount of coin you would drop.
    I recall reading an interesting comparison Chrysler did in the late 1960s/ early 1970s, they built a pair of full size Dodge police package sedans, one with a retail 440 6 pack and the other with a 426 Hemi, and ran them against the standard issue 440 4bbl super commando police package with the MSP. The ONLY area where the 2 high performance engines had the advanatage was outright speed, can't recall if the article mentioned actual speed but they mentioned top speed was within 10mph over all 3 cars so I'm guessing around 140mph. But the single 4bl car was the most reliable over the period of the test, case of hit the key at anytime, any where and the thing would be ready for action. The other 2 really showed they were high maintence engines, apparently neither of them could cope with idleing for long perioids to sudden WOT just as the electrial load goes through the roof.
    But at least they never vented the blocks like the Chevs did!

Cortez SIlver - excellent choice! I saw a few Nova's when I was looking in Mercedes bright silver too which is similar and looks tits!

Can't wait to see pics!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Where are the interior pics?
    Mate I havent really got much to show in terms of interior yet, got a few older ones of before I stripped it out for painting. That is pretty much what it will look like anyway as thats the new interior I had put into it after the first shit paint job went on... As I start to re-assemble it post painting I will get some decent ones. For now here is a few though.

What irsa76 said about hemis, great motor and awesome power (look at any of the top fuel drag cars) but what a pain in the arse to A) Fit B) Tune C) maintain. Hence I went wedge.

Unfortunately didnt get that panel painted this week so I dont have any pics of the final colour! Shit. Spraypainter ran out of time so I will have to wait till he's free again. Should be able to do the engine bay at the same time which will be good.
    Still waiting on the motor to ship out from CME, just finalising details on invoices and whatnot. Obviously the lower the value on the invoice the less GST I will be stung with...
    Any other advice for this process?? Anyone bought an engine in this way? I am totally flying blind...

lower list price, lower the insurance payout if it fucks up though, or if they loose it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Righto update time! Got the final coat of primer on the car and it looks a million bucks!! Final wet sand and we are ready for final paint.

Everything looking pretty nice I rekon! Lines are crisp. Its been worth the extra efford on the sanding/smoothing front, though if I ever see another sanding block again it will be about 400,000 fucking years too soon...

So got the paint here, 2L of Cortez Silver = $390.... Plenty of metal flake in it. Looks sexy:

So we decided to paint up the front panel and see how it was all going to look! Fuck yes...

The colour is awesome. Couldnt be happier with the end product! Looks even better in the sunlight! Bit darker than I thought it was going to be which is good! Cant wait to see the engine bay all done like this!!

In other news I made up a small loom to mount up my 3-gauge pod. I bought some new bits and pieces from summit to replace the old shitty gauges I had as well as the speedo. Original speedo runs from a nice big drive cable thing which looks shit and was messy, so I got an autometer electronic speedo with a hall sensor to plug into the torqueflite. This just runs a normal electrical wire to the speedo which is awesome. I also got a new fuel gauge (correct OHM range etc) and an electric oil pressure and water temp gauge. They all look sweet:

On that note I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in 2 1/16" size and a water temp gauge the same size, and a metal gauge holder thing left over. My new ones are 2 5/8" instead. If anyone wants them shoot me a pm.

Thats it for now. Next update will be either when the motor arrives (about 2 weeks) or when the engine bay is done! Y

i'd grab them, but skint

Skint or tight?
    Ill get a pic anyway... little something to finance the war effort...

ha, pm me a price. getting my cage installed at the moment, which is eating up $$'s

Roadrunners look great in silver with orange stripes - just saying.

So the mailman came today with a big box.....

I opened the box to reveal.....

A giant fuckoff engine. Shit yes. Shit just got real.
    Then I had to go to gay old work Ill get some more pics once I get out of this shithole and get this thing out of the box!!

All I need now is for the painter to spray the bloody engine bay. Suspense is killing me.

That is about one of the nicest boxes to have to come home to I can think of...

Not wrong. And easier to get into.....