Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo VI GSR - Road and Track Spec

Evo VI GSR - Road and Track Spec

Since I love the diversity and range of cars that this forum offers, and there doesn't appear to be many in the way of Evo's, I thought i'd post up some details of my ride.

When I purchased the car back in July 2009, it was relatively stock albeit some suspension mods - KTS coilovers, Noltec camber/castor adjustable pillow top mounts and Cusco 3 point front strut brace. On the performance side, it only had a HKS exhaust from the turbo back and an HKS EVC 4 EBC.

As many who know, Evo 6's are a fantastic platform even in stock form, so I made a promise to myself that I was going to leave it as is. Well, that lasted 3 whole weeks!

I soon picked up a set of ultra rare Rays Ralliart R-01's (now discontinued) in 18 x 8.5" + 30 guise...

After that, things just spiraled out of control!

Zero fighter front lip was added (which I later destroyed at Mallala)...

Carbon fiber rear wing blade...

Carbon ganador mirrors and clear indicators...

Carbon fiber bonnet...

I then fitted some Carbon fiber side and rear skirts which I imported from the UK. Don't ask me how much it cost me just in freight!

Some One-piece headlights to help modernise it and provide the Evo with better lighting. The stock lamps are in one word, appalling.

I have always had a thing for car presentation, so over the last couple of years, it has been entered in a couple a car shows, namely All Jap day here in Adelaide as well as Autosalon. I am a little bit over entering car shows now so it wasn't too long after that, it was decided that I would enter my first track event at Mallala (Round 1 of Time Attack - March 2011). Being budget conscious, I had to run on second hand rubber (Medium/hard compound Advan A048's) which is better than nothing but not really suited to Time Attack as they took too long to get up to temperature. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be as I split an intercooler hose forcing me to retire after only completing 2 flying laps. My best time for the day was a 1.24:820.

While being a novice and pushing the limit, obviously it comes with it's thrills and spills. It's taken a while to get a handle on Turn 1 (especially with cold tyres!) and in my first couple of track days, I swapped ends quite a few times trying to get a handle on the car at the limit ...

The track bug really started to bite and I found myself entering the next round of Time Attack. With more track time, more confidence and the addition of an HKS Twin Spark amplifier (added maybe 10 more kw's), I dropped my time down to a 1.22.690. I was still having a lot of trouble with grip and would often find myself power-sliding around the bowl (turn 2). Looks good but unfortunately doesn't go a long way in producing good lap times!

With very little changed in the car come Round 3 of Time Attack (apart from some setup changes), it was just a matter of getting out there and to gain more track experience and improve my skill. A little more track time certainly helped as I posted a reasonable 1.21.370.

A few snaps from the event:

In the way of power mods, I fitted a Plazmaman swept back intercooler and full pipework - eventually I will probably build a stroker motor and fit the Forced Performance Red turbo that I have lying around, so I thought it's best to spend my hard earned on a quality kit.

An ARC airbox was then installed. It looks and sounds great but i''ll probably remove it in near future, build an airbox behind the headlight with a pod filter and relocate the battery.

In order to develop more power, a Walbro fuel pump was fitted and then the stock ECU was flash tuned by Steve Knight Racetech where it was producing around 220kw's ATW's on 98 octane. That was good enough for the first 3 rounds of Time Attack, but for the final round, I wanted a little more.

My clutch was stuffed and needed replacement as were my povo-spec slotted RDA front rotors. I was still very budget conscious but wanted to upgrade every facet of the car. Lucky for me, I found a slightly used NPC single plate ceramic clutch that was for sale which I picked up (with a braided clutch line) for $250 delivered from WA! I also picked up a secondhand pair of DBA 5000 front rotors when I was in Sydney for World Time Attack.

The hats are pretty pink (were red)! The stock Brembo brakes now use Elig SB511 brake pads (brilliant for track work and very useable for street duties)... and I have since upgraded to HEL braided lines on all 4 corners.

Because I have a Cusco 3 point front strut brace, I had to go Cusco for the rear. The boot was completely stripped of lining and any excess weight.

Cusco adjustable rear sway bar was installed. This is one of the best handling mods you can make to an Evo - it reduces it's natural tendency to under-steer while making the car sit flatter through the corners and be more balanced. Harder you set it induces more over-steer

While handling and braking mods were under control, I installed some Kelford 272 cams - they sound awesome when the car comes on song and it sounds like a real rally car on idle. The biggest power mod come in the way of FIC 1050cc fuel injectors and E85 tune. I estimate that it produces around 260kw's ATW's... not too bad for a stock Evo engine and turbo! After these upgrades were made, it was time to hit the track for a Mallala practice day

It wasn't a good day for me. With only one week before the final round of Time Attack, the car blew a head gasket - the overflow was spewing coolant down my driver's side. To make matters worse, one of the braking markers had blown over and I hit the anchors 50 metres too late and put the car into the sand trap at the end of the straight, destroying my Zero Fighter front lip.

Only good news of the day was that I pulled out a 1.19.0 with the new additions while still using my shitty old Advan A048 semis. So there was a 2.4 second improvement already.

I had to get the head gasket replaced so I was very fortunate that Steve Knight could just squeeze me in before Time attack. We fitted a 5 layer Evo 9 head gasket as well as some ARP head studs for good measure. Good news is that the turbo and engine is still in excellent condition, even with 111,000kms on the clock.

My next huge step forward was by fitting a new set of more Time Attack oriented Hankook Z221 soft tyres. As a result, the car performed faultlessly in the last round and with the new tyres - I posted a new PB of 1.17.457! I ended up finishing equal second in points in Club Class and 11th outright in the Time Attack series in my debut year!

As the car is still road registered and sees the road on the odd occasion, I needed to source some daily rims. I found a set of 17 x 9" + 25 Weds Sport TC-005 fitted with Dunlop DZ03G 235/45R17 hard compound semi slicks. I love them and they'll no doubt end up being used for track duties.

Over the off season, my AYC diff threw in the towel - because I am going to do hill climbs and more track work, the RS mechanical rear diff really is the way to go. So a fully re-built Evo 9 RS rear diff kit was sourced from the UK and was fitted to the car. This should make the Evo turn into much more of a driver's car allowing the rear end to step out at will. RS diffs also have the reputation of being absolutely bullet proof... something that the stock AYC diff is not!

As I am starting to get a real handle and the car, things are getting a little bit more serious, so a Top Stage carbon fiber boot lid was fitted as well as an APR GTC - 300 carbon fibre rear wing...

Then I made a front splitter out of Alucobond to help balance out the huge down force expected by the rear wing. It's my first attempt so it still needs some fine tuning.

I went out to Mallala a couple of weeks ago to blow out some of the cob webs and re-familiarise myself with the car but it was a last minute decision and the car was poorly setup - tyre, suspension, everything... so it handled like a dog. Not to mention, it was 32C that day so I couldn't put down a decent lap time. Furthermore, it was too congested and most cars out on the track were 5-10 seconds a lap slower and they had a tendency to sit on the racing line. Very very frustrating!!

Anyway, I have got an in-car video of one of my laps earlier in the day. It was only a 1.18.20 - I didn't negotiate turn 3 well (braked too early and had to hesitate before I got back on the gas) and I caught traffic just before turn 7 which also ruined the lap. It probably would have been good for a mid 1.17 which is not bad considering how poorly my car was handling.

Lastly, I have entered Mt. Alma Hill Climb which is run at the end of the month. Cannot wait!

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Awesome writeup, looks like you're having some fun. How come you had an E85 tune but have to estimate the power?
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Hi Mate, thanks!

The car has seen 283kw's on the SKR dyno. Steve from SKR is one of the best Evo tuners (if not the best) in the country, but his dyno reads high. There is no way possible that it produces those numbers with a stock Evo 6 turbo, that's why I have provided an estimation. I am not really one that worries too much about dyno figures as it's the way it responds on the road and track that is most important me. At some stage I might give it a run on another dyno to see what it makes for the sake of curiosity!

lonewolf
    great write up and good to see an evo getting a real workout on the track.
    Rims really suit it!

Great write up. Welcome!
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

probably a few too many body mods for my taste but I like the focus on racing.

Maximum wings and bullshit. Surely in all that junk there was more time to be found in some proper shocks? Dont see the need to turn it into some F&F radio controlled winged rollerskate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

What I mean to say is the carbon everything could of stayed factory steel or alloy, and you could have MCA's all round and plenty of cash still in pocket to spend on tyres.
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

i like how you go from beginner to full blown heaps of excuses racer

lol

nice work keep it up and enjoy it!
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Thanks for the comments lonewolf and tj. Appeciate it

fats, just sharing my experiences as i've come a long way in 12 months (as most people do with experience). Cannot really see excuses - a lot of people would see a 1.17 around Mallala (after only a few track days) very credible. Its definitely now capable of a 1.16 or possibly a 1.15 on the right day.

Cracka, I didn't plan to originally track the car so in some ways i have wasted money in some areas when it could have been spent in further enhance performance. Because you seem like an expert, what's wrong with my coilovers? What do you mean by "maximum wings and bullshit"? With the carbon, there is nothing wrong with lowering its centre of gravity. The car is work in progress and mistakes get made. Live and learn but i'm obviously trying to improve as i go. Thanks for you constructive input lol

Ignore Cracka. That rude, opinionated, slutty, female jeans wearing, leg shaving, road bike riding, man whore was born without tact.

Any comments from him, relating to cars, should be taken with a very small grain of salt. Methinks he had a head knock in his formative years and is only interested in Frankenstein car creations. There is probably a certain amount of envy on his part knowing his car will go really fast right up until the first corner when you will be able to flip him the finger as he exits the track backwards.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Whoa up, simmer down hyundai driver.

Just saying it would be every bit as quick and not be cop bait and look boy racer with the money spent elsewhere. The fact he's having a good solid crack is awesome. 1:17 is moving at mallala, but it looks like a 1:08 car

how much were the sideskirts brad?
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Brad, got any pics of the underside of the splitter? Attachments etc? What did you cut it with?

Looks good, love the transformation from road into track. Oh look I'll just buy this as a fun daily...... 2 years later hmmm.
    If in doubt power out

21s is under 2L pace..... 1.17 on the other hand is very respectable! go the race shocks and ffs go see lance walker for a cage!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka View Post
    Just saying it would be every bit as quick and not be cop bait and look boy racer with the money spent elsewhere. The fact he's having a good solid crack is awesome. 1:17 is moving at mallala, but it looks like a 1:08 car
    Thanks for the compliment (I think lol).

It doesn't get driven on the road with the APR wing on the back (not far at least anyway), and in the 3 years that I have owned it, cops have never given me grief. But then again, it is rarely driven on the streets these days and when it is, you tend to avoid spots where you're likely to get raped by the authorities.

With many builds, people tend to throw money at the engine and turbo neglecting other facets of a build. Admittedly my coilovers leave little to be desired and something like MCA's or Ohlins are on the future wish list. I have been focusing on other important suspension mods, making the car breath better (slight power increase), making the car lighter and trying to add aero bits that work. Unfortunately I couldn't afford nor justify a Voltex rear wing but the the APR wing has clearly been tested and is used by the Sierra Sierra Evo.

My car hardly looks like a 1.08 car lol compared to the stupidly quick and insane looking Pro cars that are running in the 1.10-1.13 region

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    how much were the sideskirts brad?
    800 pounds roughly including freight plus import duty. They cost me over $1500 in the end which is stupid money but the quality is awesome. Sometimes when you want to be unique, a hefty price comes attached

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Looks good, love the transformation from road into track. Oh look I'll just buy this as a fun daily...... 2 years later hmmm.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    21s is under 2L pace..... 1.17 on the other hand is very respectable! go the race shocks and ffs go see lance walker for a cage!!
    As said above, decent coilovers is hopefully the next modification. Unfortunately things have been breaking lately, and when I replace something, I don't usually do things in halves. My RS Mechanical rear diff left little change from 4K last month so I am left light on in my motorsport budget but I plan (hopefully soon) to at least fit a bolt in cage.

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    Brad, got any pics of the underside of the splitter? Attachments etc? What did you cut it with?
    I just cut it with a jigsaw and a metal blade. It went through like hot butter

My car is still at SKR so I cannot take photos unfortunately. I took a few when I was building it, but I didn't have a game plan as such and just built it as I went... bearing in mind it was my first attempt!

I just purchased some aluminum angle (and cut it so I could bend it) and fixed to the steel support on my front bar. I screw through the splitter and into the angle with 14g tek screws... it's solid as a rock at the front...

I then screwed some aluminum angles to the subframe on the passenger side and I bolted through that. I also fitted some bolts through the front bar near the wheel arch (further back from the front). I had trouble finding a place to make a bracket on the driver's side so I used an angle to brace the splitter from side to side. It didn't go anywhere the other week at Mallala so I think that its solid enough.

The biggest issue I had was getting the splitter to sit flat due to the curve in the Evo 6 front bar. I tried to make it flatter by adding washers but it's not perfect and I think that was one of the contributing factors to my understeer woes as it may have been generating 'lift'. I have just purchased some stays to strengthen the splitter and also to make it flat (or slightly less).

I had a look at your car again yest when I was at SKR finding out my diff is cactus but I couldnt be fucked getting on the floor to look under the front so thought id ask anyway. Good that you didnt mount it to the bumper panels as that would create 1/5th of fuck all downforce. But yeah, you should definitely work on raking it downwards a little more. Even if you add an extra skirt at the front to cover the gap if you know what I mean...

^^ Sorry to hear about the diff

I have been thinking about adding a skirt to fill in the gap at the front... i'll just use race tape if I have to :P

Time Attack Round 1 was unfortunately cancelled in South Australia due to lack of interest (rule changes and regulations was the largest contributing factor), so the car has just been sitting around in SKR's workshop collecting dust before the next event. While it was there, the de-cat pipe was finally fitted in the attempt to unleash a few more kw's... and while it was on the hoist we set the rear sway bar to medium, swapped oil, filter and spark plugs.

When I had my Plazmaman intercooler kit supplied, (for whatever reason), they didn't make provision for the pipe that runs from the SAS valve - for the last year it had been blanked off...

... so, I had a small section of pipe welded on and had it reconnected. It now runs a nice dose of anti-lag which will be very useful in a fortnight when I compete in the Mt. Alma Hillclimb.

CIMG1402 by EVO6GSR, on Flickr

I picked up a Velo Magnum 3 inch, 6 point harness which was loooong overdue and fitted it today. It's only 4 point at present with the stock Recaro but I have got all that's required to convert to 6 point when my budget allows for a light weight fixed bucket.

It was a relatively painless exercise - two of the eyelets screwed into existing points in the floor next to the seat and the most challenging part was fitting the eyelets into the rear parcel shelf. One of the plates that came with the harness had to be modified for mounting in the boot. I had issues finding a flat surface for it to be mounted and I was also mindful to keep one of the eyelets away from the trim on the C-pillar. It was tight for space!! Then I adjusted the belts to suit and it seems to work well. It should make a massive difference for future events.

CIMG1400 by EVO6GSR, on Flickr

CIMG1401 by EVO6GSR, on Flickr

I also picked up some adjustable stays for my front splitter. The stays should hopefully overcome front aero issues making it flatter (or pointing slightly negative) whilst adding additional strength.

CIMG1403 by EVO6GSR, on Flickr

After Mt. Alma Hillclimb, the focus will be getting it all setup and prepared for Evo Nationals at Wakefield Park in June. Cannot wait to blast around that track!

When/if you next enter it[anywhere],Tape over/remove your Number Plates...[if you have full Comprehensive Insurance & want a payout in case of a "mishap".

All weekend Racers should do this IMO,especially with a car still under Warranty.

If the Evo Nationals are on in June,[long weekend]Round 2 TimeAttack at Mallala will probably be cancelled as well??

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

I have read about that... coppers sitting in the grandstand of Mallala and taking down number plates. As a safe guard, I should probably remove them as it'll only take me 5 minutes.

I have spoken to the committee from the MGEC and round 2 and 3 of Time Attack will be going ahead no matter what. The Evo Nationals is only 2 weeks after round 2 of TA so i'd rather save my car (mechanically) and good semi-slicks for Evo nats. I'll be competing in round 3 of Time Attack for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Dave75 View Post
    When/if you next enter it[anywhere],Tape over/remove your Number Plates...[if you have full Comprehensive Insurance & want a payout in case of a "mishap".

All weekend Racers should do this IMO,especially with a car still under Warranty.

If the Evo Nationals are on in June,[long weekend]Round 2 TimeAttack at Mallala will probably be cancelled as well??
    You're fucking kidding aren't you? A CAMS official publically encouraging insurance fraud. How do CAMS feel about this?

Car Insurance is nothing to to with CAMS...the competitor is covered,not the vehicle by the way.

Bullshit,I'm not "encouraging " anything .. If someone tries to pull that trick & gets caught ....

...But I bet you can't say someone at some time hasn't tried it & got away with it?

I suppose you say removing/covering numberplates is fraud as well & against CAMS rules???

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Nice to see you're still employing your usual technique in arguing. Miss your own point, miss the counter point, hopefully confuse everyone including yourself, look like a fool. Columbo was actually successful at it. There's really no point wasting energy on it.

brad can you show me a photo of where the front eyelets are for the harness?

^^ also interested in seeing this. I didnt think there was a factory "hole" on the inside (left of the driver) due to seat belt buckle being mounted to the seat rail but I havent had a good look.

I just replaced the original bolt from the seat belt with one of the eye bolts supplied.

On the other side, I used an eye bolt in the seat rail/bracket.

Thought i'd post the installation of the rear seeing as it's only a matter of cutting and pasting from Evo Oz...

Here's the eye bolt on the parcel shelf next to the C-Pillar. I had to make sure it was far enough away so I could wind up the eye bolt and also enure that there was sufficient space to clip on the harness attachment.

This is the harness mounting plate for the same eye bolt. It had to be modified so it could sit flat. The boot hinges and wires didn't make life easy. I drilled a small pilot hole through the boot and into the parcel shelf first to make sure that it was in the right position.

The mounting plate on the other side. This one literally only took 5 minutes to sort out...

The two eye bolt together. The harness straps on either side run right along side the rear seat headrest so it all worked out well.

yep perfect...exactly how I plan to mount mine on the drivers and passenger side!

looks good, i was told my dave75 that you arent supposed to mount the eyelet bolts through the seat rail holes but I cant see why this is an issue, they are mounting points afterall!

Do what you want, and in reality if you hit hard enough to snap the seat mount your fucked anyway. But, the reason it isn't recommended is that if the seat mount fails then you will be somewhat held in by the (independent) harness mounts. If its all on the same bolts then you just bounce around the cabin strapped to a race seat (not my idea of ideal).
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah