Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo VI GSR - Road and Track Spec

^^ makes perfect sense, I was more alluding to the fact that "if you hit hard enough to snap the seat mounts your probably fucked anyway".

Over the weekend 31st of March and 1st of April 2012, the fourth running of the asp Mount Alma Mile Hillclimb was held in the Southern Fleurieu Peninsula district of Hindmarsh Valley and fortunately for competitors and spectators, the weather could not have been better! The 1.6km track is the longest currently being used in SA, and plays host to a field of 160 competitors including your typical GTR's, EVO's and STI's... as well as 240/260Z's, Porsches, Lotus's, Clubmans, RX-7's, Silvias, Skylines, Toranas (including many other Aussie marques)... and the list goes on. Beauty about the event is that it is so diverse and it brings together the motorsport culture in a competitive but friendly atmosphere.

The times that were laid down this year lifted many eyebrows - the competition was on a completely new level. As opposed to laying down 'the fastest time', the Mount Alma Mile Hillclimb runs a unique results system, which combines times from all runs to rank the competitors and decide on top 12 in both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive vehicles. This system rewards consistent drivers with reliable vehicles, as one wrong move or a mechanical failure could put you out of the running, so in addition, to be rewarded, you really need to be equipped with decent power, big ticket soft full slick rubber and balls of steel to be at the top. The event was taken out by a purpose built 950hp, 4WD 260Z hillclimb weapon, followed by big horsepower GTR's and EVO's not to mention Brad Trenwith's mad Time Attack FD RX-7!

After competing in all the Time Attack events in SA last year, I wanted the challenge of a completely new discipline. It took me a couple of runs to gain confidence and get a handle on the track - my first run was a leisurely 49.20, but my second run (late on Saturday) stopped the clocks at 47.23 which is massively quick for my second ever run up the hill. On Sunday morning, things didn't get off to a great start as I was a little enthusiastic off the start line and with too many revs, I lit up all four wheels, dumped the clutch too quickly and bogged the start. Then I mis-shifted into second gear and by trying too hard to compensate, I plow under-steered through turn 2 and completely missed the apex! A 49.54 was the result, which was my worst time of the weekend and effectively cost me 4 or 5 positions outright. I did however put my head down and clawed my way back - the fourth run was a reasonable 47.49 and then the all or nothing final run was an awesome 46.68 second run!

Out of 147 starters, I was ecstatic to find out that I came out in 22nd position outright, bearing in mind the quality of the line up, and also due to the fact that my car is relatively mild mechanically, still fully street registered with no roll cage. You can only really run at 95% without a roll cage and full safety gear however in the the last section of the track, I (as well as many others) had their foot pinned to the floor clocking 180km/h plus! It was a sobering to find out the in the final shootout that Keir Wilson in his R35 GTR pushed his car a little too hard across the finish line (where there is loose gravel 50m past the finish line) and consequently hit a ditch, did a barrel roll and then caught on fire. Apart from that, it was a relatively incident free weekend! All in all, it was an awesome event and one that I thoroughly look forward to competing in once again come 2013 with more power, more grip and much more experience!

Results Outright:

http://www.mountalmamile.com/LinkClick.asp...3d&tabid=86

Best Time of the weekend - 46.68

Big thanks to all the photographers that were there over the weekend and captured so many awesome shots... so many I could only select a few!

not a bad time there brad...i am confused as to why you dont have two hands on the wheel more though!
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

^^ Thanks Matt. Yeah, the one handed driving style is one bad habit I need to get out of!

Preparation for Evo Nats at WP is starting to kick along nicely with a few more mods still left in store

After fitting my direct replacement bolt on 3" Turbo XS exhaust system, it was soon discovered that it wasn't exactly a 'bolt on' affair. It appears that this system is tailored to suit CP9A's with AYC rear diffs only. Because this system ducks and dives under the rear diff to make it a shorter path, turns out the 20mm variance in length between the AYC and RS rear diffs was critical! There was no clearance whatsoever between the exhaust and where the spline connects to the tail shaft. So, we have had to cut and shut the rear section of the exhaust to change the angle and fabricate a couple of brackets to suit. The muffler and tail pipe sits much better where it pokes out of the rear bar and it clears the diff with ease, however, the exhaust now sits a mere 75-80mm from the deck :o Hopefully it won't pose as an issue whilst attacking the ripple strips at Wakefield Park!

I picked up an Apexi Power intake from Just Jap (as I thought it was as good as any) and threw away the useless heat shield (which looks like a sunshade). Just need to make a bracket to secure it as it flops around - the car sometimes misses/cuts out on quick gear shifts as you'd expect. Hopefully I'll find the time to make my own heat shield/cold air box and make a cold air feed from the front bumper before Nats.

Previously I had been using Elig SB511 brake pads which were fantastic, but now I have gone one step better.

Just had my brakes bled and then topped up with Motel RF600 high temp brake fluid. Out came my half used SB511 brake pads and in went a set of Carbone Lorraine RC8 brake pads for the front and RC6 pads for the rear. These have been tried and tested on SKR's Time Attack Evo 6 and they performed exceptionally well from reports. The initial bite that the RC8 compound provides is like no other I have tried offering a superior friction level (friction coefficient of μ=0.6) from low temperatures to 1100 deg C. So far they have been very streetable however I wouldn't recommend them on the street because they squeal louder than a stuck pig. They're that noisy, they make you want to run red lights...

There is only so much $$$ I could afford to throw at the car in one hit - between a decent racing seat and a fresh set of semi-slicks, the tyres got the nod. Fortunately I was lucky to be given the opportunity to borrow a Velo Apex fixed back racing seat. It certainly holds me nicely into place and is significantly lighter than the stock Recaro. It looks so at home - pity I have to give it back My Velo 4 point harness is now converted to 6 points.

With the exhaust and intake changes, I wanted to chuck it on the dyno to check AFR's and see what gains were made. So, I did a comparative run against the last time the car was on the dyno (September 2011).

Back then when running E85 (in the red), the car was fitted with:

- Stock dump pipe
    - HKS Hi Power Silent full exhaust system
    - ARC cold air induction box with stock rubber intake pipe

Latest modifications (in the blue):

- GT Pumps dump pipe
    - 3" Turbo XS full turbo back exhaust system
    - De-cat pipe
    - Meek intake pipe with Apexi Power Intake

The results were astronomical! Boost started to come on earlier in the rev range and there was a reasonable gain in power all the way to the red line. Most importantly, mid-range torque went through the roof! *Puts flame suit on* - I know the torque figures are exaggerated and the power figure is certainly up there for a stock turbo but i'd estimate that with a 4th gear dyno run on another dyno, it would be closer to the 270kw mark.

Anyway, i'm ecstatic with the result and just amazed at the difference some decent breathing mods can make. Hopefully everything is all sorted out now in the power department for Nats

brad how high are your wing stands? that varis one I was telling you about needs some made and I reckon yours looks like the right height

and that is some impressive power for a stock turbo...E85 is the business!
    Last edited by MR 1JZ; 26-05-12 at 06:08 PM.

The top of the wing stands have a curve that rakes from back to front to match the contour of the wing. It's 26cm high at the back and stands 21cm tall at the front. You can get extensions from APR which will give you even more height but I think the standard wing stands are tall enough without looking totally ridiculous.

great thanks for that

Progress on the car is steadily moving along as per plan.

The old battery in the car (I suspect) had a dead cell as the car wouldn't crank over after being left for 2-3 days so it was time to upgrade. After 3 weeks of waiting, a compact and light weight Braille battery turned up on my door step from the US. I had visions of having to make a custom bracket to suit but I managed to utilise the standard bracket with a little bit of work. The new battery provided a 2.3kg weight saving which was a nice bonus and I think it makes a slight improvement to what is a functional but fugly engine bay.

One thing that I have been meaning to do for quite some time is to run a cold air feed from the front bumper. Inspiration came from a few build threads from Mitsubishi Lancer Register (MLR).

I purchased an inconspicuous looking black anodised intake trumpet and 1 metre of intake piping from e-bay. These bits and pieces rolled up in the post last Friday and I dedicated part of Sunday afternoon to try make something out of it! I pulled the front bar off (which I have now got down to a fine art) and removed the front spot lights. I have off cuts of black alucobond lying around the place which was used to house the intake trumpet. The alucobond was cut to size and a hole drilled in the centre and then was screwed to the back of the front bar utilising the original screws and location. I used silicone to hold the intake trumpet into place and once set, I clamped the intake pipe to the trumpet.

Hardest part was getting it central. I think it turned out quite well and should draw quite a bit of air through the inlet and into a cold air box behind the front head light.

Picked up a brand new set of soft compound Z221 Hankooks from SA Motorsport Tyres this afternoon

My guard liners were already chopped up, but now they're removed completely.

I wanted to collect the tyres a few weeks before Evo Nats as I was a little bit concerned about the 255/40/17's while the guards were relatively untouched (albeit plastic rear guard flare trimming). The fronts don't touch any of the body work turning the steering wheel from lock to lock while stationary, but half lock over bumps may cause contact with the body work. I had a quick blast around the block and that remains to be seen but I'm going to do some 'massaging' with a mallet to be on the safe side. Rears only scrubbed over big bumps but that's a good enough reason for some of the metal behind the rear wheel flare to go. Biggest issue when bolting them up and the car being in the air was the clearance between the tyre and the front strut. There's not much more than the the thickness of a credit card in it but fortunately front camber is already maxed out at -3.5 degrees.

All bolted up and looking fatter than ever before

that looks tough as nails
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

yup, that looks fucking tough. saw you at mt alma.

does driver front and passenger rear need to swap?
    mark's a top bloke, hooked me up with some silverstones a few years back
    Last edited by wagoner; 04-06-12 at 10:52 PM.
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

looks very angry!

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    I probably wouldnt have gotten softs if you want your tyres to last. Always run a medium or hard compound on bug-eyes and 6's on Duttons.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Thanks guys. The car has totally transformed over the past few months and I was fucking tempted to enter next Mondays MGEC Time Attack. Should dip into the 1.15's at Mallala in it's current spec which is what I am hoping to achieve with the stock 2L engine and turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
    yup, that looks fucking tough. saw you at mt alma.

does driver front and passenger rear need to swap?
    mark's a top bloke, hooked me up with some silverstones a few years back
    Thanks champ, and thanks for picking up on direction of the tyres. You're right, one of the fronts need to be exchanged with one on the rear. I was more concerned about fitment and didn't take a lot of notice lol

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    I probably wouldnt have gotten softs if you want your tyres to last. Always run a medium or hard compound on bug-eyes and 6's on Duttons.
    I don't care about how long my tyres last (having said that my last set of soft Hankooks were surprisingly durable), i'm after quicker lap times and the medium compound just won't cut it. I bought the soft compound because Wakefield Park rewards grip/handling, and being June, track and ambient temps are likely to be very low therefore better suited to a soft compound. Further, the car usually only competes in Time Attack and hillclimbs so I am happy with my compound choice

Fucken.
    Seeing this thing is making me ask myself if it would be more sensible to get a Makinen than another GTR.
    Looks very, very good.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    Fucken.
    Seeing this thing is making me ask myself if it would be more sensible to get a Makinen than another GTR.
    Looks very, very good.
    Cheers man. Love GTR's almost as much as Evos but I know i'd have to have a spare $10k lying around (just in case) to repair a GTR, whereas Evos are a certainly more affordable when shit starts to break.

A 6.5 Makinen is a good choice if you want to keep it relatively stock. TME's inherently have weak rods and tend to spit them out the side of the block as soon as you switch to E85 with simple bolt ons and/or a minor turbo upgrade. If you plan to go to town on the car, a 5 or 6 GSR is a better option as they're cheaper than TME's and can have stronger rods. Better still, get an RS version Evo which is lighter and is fitted with proper mechanical diffs, not the shit GAYC...

Good info, thanks.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Race Spec View Post
    I don't care about how long my tyres last (having said that my last set of soft Hankooks were surprisingly durable), i'm after quicker lap times and the medium compound just won't cut it. I bought the soft compound because Wakefield Park rewards grip/handling, and being June, track and ambient temps are likely to be very low therefore better suited to a soft compound. Further, the car usually only competes in Time Attack and hillclimbs so I am happy with my compound choice
    No probs. Agree on times, but most people don't have the budget to rip through tyres all the time.

See you at Wakefield.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    See you at Wakefield.
    Have you entered Evo Nats?

I'll be at the practice day Friday fortnight as well as Saturday and Sunday.

This weekend thus far has almost been fully devoted to working on splitter V2.0. This one had to be a lot more aggressive/purposeful.

My first splitter only had one support bracket (on the passenger side) so myself and a mate went to work on another bracket on the driver's side. I also had to re-work my hotside intercooler plpe work before I did anything - previously it sat too low and I had difficulty running my splitter/ under tray underneath it.

Picked up an off cut of 4mm 'sparkling' black metallic alucobond on Friday, and we got to work cutting/shaping early Saturday.

Rather than tacking on winglets like its some after thought, we used paper templates both sides, marked the material and cut the winglets to shape in the one piece. With the shape/design, we decided to emulate the design from some of the front runners in SA's Time Attack.

Once cut to shape, we set up a guide and used a router to cut a rebate in the alucobond so it could be folded.

The front bar/splitter had be fitted and removed about a dozen times to ensure that it was symmetrical and for new fixing points. It's a very painful exercise without hoist. In the end, it was fixed with Tek screws on brackets left side and right, into the front bar as well as the cross member.

A fascia piece was cut to size and fixed into place to fill the void between the splitter and the front lip.

Intermission - Brain food at Cafe De Vili's. :tongue:

We hit the underside with a heat gun to help it bend...

... then ran a bead of black silicone in the fold.

In typical fashion, the finished product for what ever reason didn't bend quite as well as the test piece so we had to clamp the folded winglet with a timber block, bottom and sides to hold it into place.

We ran a file over the burred edges, to round all the square edges and to mask my poor form with the jigsaw.

All edges tidied up, holes drilled for fixing points and plastic protective film removed. Tow strap into place which we almost completely forgot about and didn't really consider in the design!

We taped the tow strap to the underside of the intercooler, cut a slot in the undertray and poked the strap though.

Unfortunately when we released the clamps on the winglets, they didn't want to stand vertical (90 degrees) on their own, so I might have to make small brackets either side if I cannot bend them any further. I'll be using some carbon fiber wrap to cover the exposed aluminum on the sides to finish it off, and I'm thinking about running a gurney flap on the back edge of the splitter near the wheel arch of more front end downforces

The new splitter is 100mm in length, look a million times better than the first attempt and fingers crossed it will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Race Spec View Post
    Have you entered Evo Nats?

I'll be at the practice day Friday fortnight as well as Saturday and Sunday.
    Yep. In the museum piece.

Will try to say hello.

(TM - AVENGE)

Yet another busy week prepping and adding finishing touches to the Evo.

- The rear flares were removed and 10-15mm was sliced from the metal for additional clearance. Due to the amount that was removed, it rendered some of the clips for the rear flares useless - silicone FTW! The body work inside the front wheel arches was also lightly massaged.

- New stainless steel cold air box installed.

- Carbon fiber wrap was adhered to the end plates of the front splitter.

- New front window banner with charcoal coloured SKR decals front and rear.

Go Pro HD Hero 2 and HD Hero set up in the cabin. Performance box will keep us informed of our times throughout the event. Locating mounting points without a harness bar or roll cage for the Go Pros was somewhat challenging but they're now locked into position and adequately tethered. The interior has never looked so spartan nor has the car felt so raw in my time. It's easy to get carried away placing the car on a diet but we had to be mindful that it still conforms with Highly Modified Class.

Just about all locked and loaded ready for Friday's practice at WP.

Both myself and Tristan Catford look forward to the challenging event program of circuit, super special hillclimb stage, gymkhana and drag this weekend. Massive thanks to Tristan for his time and assistance with car prep and Steve Knight from SKR for his invaluable service and advice, car setup and tuning magic.

SKR sponsorship then?

Good to see plenty of DIY.

Bad to see it still has carpet
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

Car looks good mate...forewarning im going to blatantly copy your front splitter haha!

Also when funds allow you should give a lookin to a deep dish steering wheel...with the lower driving position of your race seat you really notice the difference!

Plus not having an airbag go off at the track if you have a spill is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cplus View Post
    SKR sponsorship then?

Good to see plenty of DIY.

Bad to see it still has carpet

No SKR sponsorship as such but Steve helps me out as best he can. Unfortunately every mod that I make and every event that I enter comes out of my own pocket which make for a fucking expensive hobby.

Most of the car is DIY apart from the in-depth mechanical work and tuning, which is over my head!

We pulled a lot of weight out of the car over over the past few weeks but unfortunately we were limited to the amount weight saving items we could pull out of the car, so the carpet had to stay. If we made any more mods to the car, it would push us up into another class where we'd be competing against cars running 1.02-1.04 at WP. The car should be good for a 1.04 but being new to the track, we'll probably be in around the 1.05-1.07 region.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    Car looks good mate...forewarning im going to blatantly copy your front splitter haha!

Also when funds allow you should give a lookin to a deep dish steering wheel...with the lower driving position of your race seat you really notice the difference!

Plus not having an airbag go off at the track if you have a spill is a good thing!
    Cheers man.

Only issue with the Alucobond is, it becomes a fucking expensive exercise if you make a mistake at $225 a sheet. Fortunately I picked up an off cut that was big enough through one of my building contacts for $100. Still cheaper than carbon fiber tho lol

Yeah, I am digging your steering wheel - the airbags will go in due course but if the car survives the trip interstate, I'll be looking at fitting a bigger turbo (GT Pumps 73HTA or an FP Green), then do a Porsche Cup Sprint and aim for a 1.14 around Mallala.

Race Spec - Wakefield's not that hard to get your head around and theres nothing but the pit wall to hit, so its a good track to go hard on. Given your experience, you'll probably get down to the times you want by the end of the day with a bit left in reserve as you get more experience at the track.

(TM - AVENGE)

Trust me, we'll be going HARD, but from what I have heard, it's easy to 'over drive' at Wakefield trying to 'find' time. I've been watching a lot of in car video so I think I have braking points, turn in points, corner balance and gear selection pretty sussed. Because my car is double entered, two drivers in the same car plus the practice day on Friday will provide us with plenty of feedback so we should just about be up to pace going into the event. I would be bitterly disappointed if I didn't run a 1.05 or below but I guess I'll find out of the day!

Will try remember to say g'day. Seeing as you're the only one running in an Evo 1, you shouldn't be too hard to spot!

Yeah say hi.

Biggest issue will be the cold weather.

(TM - AVENGE)

Spotted this down at Wakefield yesterday trying to get some practice in though the conditions made it pretty pointless. Even after the rain stopped the water kept flowing across the track and the oil down up the hill certainly wouldn't of helped your efforts to try and learn the track. Car looks awesome hopefully you can set a decent time today conditions looked a lot better when I left Goulburn this morning.
    If in doubt power out

So when is the cage booked?
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Spotted this down at Wakefield yesterday trying to get some practice in though the conditions made it pretty pointless. Even after the rain stopped the water kept flowing across the track and the oil down up the hill certainly wouldn't of helped your efforts to try and learn the track. Car looks awesome hopefully you can set a decent time today conditions looked a lot better when I left Goulburn this morning.
    Thanks mate.

Yeah, the weather on Friday was atrocious and the track was down right dangerous, especially being a track that we're unfamiliar with. We had hoped to hit the ground running on Saturday with stacks of info from Friday, but the track condition was so bad, basically it was a wasted exercise and we were flying blind during competition.

We had a huge vibration under braking in the left front (most likely bushes or a ball joint) through turn 1 throughout the weekend which didn't inspire a lot of confidence. It also knocked us out for a session trying to identify the issue so we missed vital track time. We also had a miss-fire between gearshifts and when using part throttle which was most likely a fuel related issue - the car was also shooting 1 metre flames out the rear on over-run which is unusual on E85. However, we pressed on and for the rest of the event, the car was an absolute trooper and withstood an alarming amount of punishment without a hint of failure.

In the end, my Co-driver, Tristan smashed out an awesome 1:04.51 around WP securing a class win and as well as 10th outright out of 68 Evos. The best I could manage was a 1:05.31 which I am still relatively happy with after only a handful of laps ever in the dry at WP, but I still wonder how much quicker we could have been if things went to plan.

The highlight of the event was when Tristan won the Special Stage (Wakefield Park backwards which included the hill climb course) outright by over 1 second including an off road excursion! To hand it to numerous big budget World Time Attack Evos and a number of hill climb champions in my road registered and factory assembled 2.0L engine and turbo was priceless. I guess putting an awesome driver in a well set up and reliable car paid dividends.

A few shots from the event:

Launching at Goulburn airport:

In-car of my 1:05.31 around WP:

Last edited by Race Spec; 26-06-12 at 09:12 PM.