Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo VI GSR - Road and Track Spec

this bloke does the flocking im pretty sure: http://www.facebook.com/andrew.milne.545?fref=ts

runs a fab shop
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

^^ Cheers buddy

With Mt. Alma Hill Climb approaching (less than a fortnight away), I was on the hunt for an Evo 9 turbo to squeeze out a little bit more power/torque. Mt Alma being such a steep climb (19 degree incline), it really rewards big capacity/big turbo stroker motors with oodles of torque. My standard 6 turbo still made good power but had a massive crack in the exhaust housing, so it was on it's last legs.

I managed to score an absolutely mint Evo 9 Turbo that Steve Knight had lying around in his workshop which I had fitted yesterday.

I was absolutely gobsmacked with the results - the difference between the Evo 6 (blue line) and 9 (red line) turbo with no other mods is like night and day. I was able to push 29 psi peak whereas the Evo 6 turbo would run out of puff at 24-25psi. The Evo 9 turbo made a complete mockery of the old turbo in the mid-range (3-5500rpm). The response and torque is in a completely different league. Furthermore, this was the 6th run on the dyno in a short space of time so the result (especially peak power) would have been better. The Evo 9 turbo swap has far exceeded my expectations and what I set out to achieve, so I pretty bloody happy!

I grabbed a bottle of Nulon Engine Treatment while I was at SKR - according to Steve, it not only increases engine performance, but most importantly, it helps reduce friction and wear. So, i'll be adding a bottle of this to my engine every oil change for added protection.

Six months down the track, I am still finding oil in my engine bay due to blow-by during a hot lap at Mallala (sprayed 1.5 litres of oil over my engine bay), so rather than the cable ties I was using, we made a spring clip to hold the dip stick in place. Simple but effective!

Pulled a little bit more weight out of the car; door rubbers, more interior plastic trim as well as the roof lining which equated to another 10kg's. All up, I have pulled out about 40kg without going to extremes which should offset the additional weight of the roll cage.

I have to admit, attempting to fit the bolt in Bond Roll Cage was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made and was the most frustrating mod I have ever attempted on a motor vehicle. 12 hours spent (wasted) on a Saturday, I managed to fit the main hoop myself - the remaining 10 hours consisted of cursing and swearing as well as throwing numerous tools in frustration. Nothing lined up and I couldn't get it into a position where I was satisfied. So, I gave up and paid a small fortune for Steve Knight to finish it off but he did a fantastic job. The cunt of a cage is NEVER coming out again unless I replace it with proper weld in cage!

As always, Mt. Alma Hill Climb is a great weekend of motorsport, and this year, we could not have asked for better weather! The competition and the times that were being laid down was on another level in 2013. I would have to say that the immensely powered black 930 Turbos were my favourite two cars of the weekend.

Personally, I was battling a dreadful cold/virus so I was in struggle town all weekend. I got off to a slow but steady start sitting 12th outright after the end of day 1. I made a complete meal of turn 2 on my first run on Sunday, and to add insult to injury, I was penalized 5 seconds for hitting a 'mystery' bollard (sometimes they come out of nowhere) at flag point 2 resulting in a disgusting 51.3! Fortunately, I managed to put my head down and claw my way back up the charts with a 44.4 and finished off even stronger on my last run with a 44.2. That was just enough to pip Rob Black's McLaren MP4 12C by 1/10 of a second for 13th outright and squeeze into the top 12 shoot out for AWD. Unfortunately, I failed to produce a good time in the shoot out as the combination of the cooler track temperatures and my over-enthusiasm caught me out and I got way out of shape around turn 2, as shown hereunder... :roll:

All in all, I was quite happy with the 44.2 considering my car is a little limp in a straight line (as shown by the consistently low terminal speeds thru the 200 metre speed trap) and my Hankooks were very secondhand. My car was absolutely faultless - the only thing that broke all weekend for me was a ratchet strap on one of my tie-downs on the way home. Bearing in mind all the carnage that occurred over the weekend, to see it drive on and off the trailer at the end of the day all in one piece was an absolute blessing!

Provisional Results: http://www.mountalmamile.com/wp-cont...al-results.pdf

In-car of my 44.2 second run:
    Last edited by Race Spec; 09-04-13 at 03:34 PM.

That looked like a tidy run I must put Mt Alma on my list...
    Photo's: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7142398&type=1

(Kev's indecent in his 4WD 260Z was a bit scary!)
    Last edited by Lurch; 08-04-13 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks mate and nice snaps!

Yep, the suspension failure and a high speed spin (170km/h plus) in Kevin Mackrell's Datsun must have been a bloody scary moment! Bit of bodywork damage to it as well sadly as the wheel tore off.

Looked very tidy in that vid. Scary place to loose a wheel mid run!

Sounds and looks great. Love it.
    Past
    74 260z - MOBY
    00 WRX - JARVIS
    09 Z750 - THE Z
    93 Rz Supra - SOUP
    05 Golf GTI
    07 350z Track
    10 Triumph Daytona 675
    73 240z - Red Car

Current

13 BRZ
    04 Liberty GT

My Flickr

MRC Imagery on Facebook

Thanks fellas for the compliments!

Have stacks of pics from the event.

Massive thanks to Justin & Craig from 35 Prime, Benn Wilson and Phil Williams Photography for these wicked shots!

Although long overdue, with the amount of torque/boost that the Evo 9 turbo is generating in the mid-range, I thought doing some preventative measures by strengthening the factory engine's bottom end would be a wise investment. So, new and upgraded rod bolts and engine bearings are going in. With any sort of luck, I can continue to develop the 2.0L for another 12 months before I look for something bigger and better.

My Apexi AVC-R boost controller is not performing like the way it should, so it is being replaced with a Grimmspeed 3 port boost solenoid. This should help the turbo hold boost to red-line (or help reduce taper) and provide the car with the top end grunt that it has been missing. No one has had stock of the Grimmspeed 3 port, so it's been an agonizing weeks waiting for it to come in. This morning, I drove from one end of Adelaide to another to pick it up and deliver it to SKR for him to work his magic.

It was time for some new rubber, so I just invested in a fresh set of Hankook Z214 245/40/17 soft slicks. The tread width is only 2mm more narrow than the 255 wide Z221's I was previously using, but being an even softer compound, the Z214's should be a slightly quicker tyre between the two.

I am planning to enter the next Porsche Sprint at Mallala on June 2. If all goes well and weather behaves, I hope to dip the Evo deep into the 1:12's...
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

A little bit of an update...

New and upgraded rod bolts and bearings have been fitted. It was comforting to know that the old bearings that came out were still in good nick.

The Grimmspeed 3-port solenoid is fitted, and we ran the car on the SKR dyno last Thursday night.

The red is just before Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb and the blue is the latest result from Thursday night.

To help preserve the bottom end, and assist with driveability, we compromised response slightly but picked up very good gains in torque and power between 3800-5800rpm (where it matters). 308wkw's seems to be 10 to 15kw's more than most on this particular dyno (with a 9 turbo), which we put down to the Plazmaman Intercooler and Full Race Manifold.

I had hoped that the turbo would hold around 22psi up to red line but it seems that the Evo 9 turbo is simply running out of puff. Duty on Evo scan was maxed out between 5500-7500rpm and we could not squeeze any more boost out of it. It was a nice improvement from the AVC-R, so I was happy to leave it there.

As usual, Steve was flat out, and it wasn't until Wednesday night that we determined that my rotors had seen far better days! I had intended to invest in some Project MU SCR PRO front rotors eventually, but couldn't get them at short notice, so I had a fresh set of DBA 5000 T3 rotors send overnight so I could fit them on Saturday.

My old secondhand DBA rotors were purchased at WTAC in 2011 for a good price, but since then, they have copped a canning around Mallala (Australia's hardest track on brakes) as well as the double entry at Evo Nats 2012. Cracks were getting too big and I would potentially run the risk of loosing a caliper if a rotor snapped

New vs Old:

I was extremely impressed with my original Carbone Lorraine RC8 front brake pads which also endured a fair share of canning. They still had 5-6mm of meat left after 4-5 events, but seeing as I was fitting new rotors, I didn't want to compromise the braking package with used pads.

I spent a few hours on Saturday fitting the new brake pads and rotors as well as bolting up the Weds shod with fresh Hankook slicks. Looks schweet

Sadly, Adelaide was hit with 40-50mm of rain on Fri-Sat (most rain recorded in Adelaide in 2.5 years) and the Porsche Sprint that I worked my left nut off for was cancelled; a number of corners were under water! Perfect weather for slicks!

Now, the Evo has to sit in the garage whilst collecting dust until the next Sprint event (7th July) before it can hopefully bust out some decent times
    Last edited by Race Spec; 05-06-13 at 12:17 PM.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Hows the rear diff holding up?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Just a tip, it can be a good idea to bed the new rotors in with the old pads. Your rotor/pads should have come with bed in instructions. A bit like the ideal bed in process with tyres, it might not affect performance but can affect longivity.

Stonking power BTW
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Another tip if you haven't already. Fuck the balance shaft and belt off when you have the motor out. Did one last night on the dyno, valves said g'day to the pistons haha.

All nighters before rallies suck!

Thanks guys for the info

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Hows the rear diff holding up?
    So far, so good... but the rear diff is still almost brand new. The AYC rear diff shat itself 18 months ago and was swapped for a complete new RS rear end from an Evo 9 (sourced from Ross Sport in the UK). AYC pump and associated lines have been deleted saving 25-30kgs all up. Most of the WTAC guys with Evos and big HP have RS mechanical rear diffs so I'd expect it to easily handle anything I can throw at it. There's so much more mechanical grip with the RS diff, but it's also nice to be able get it sideways when provoked without computers ruining the fun.

nice work!
    so you're not doing the AHTR this year? i've just entered in the hillclimb on saturday morning
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Race Spec View Post
    Thanks guys for the info

So far, so good... but the rear diff is still almost brand new. The AYC rear diff shat itself 18 months ago and was swapped for a complete new RS rear end from an Evo 9 (sourced from Ross Sport in the UK). AYC pump and associated lines have been deleted saving 25-30kgs all up. Most of the WTAC guys with Evos and big HP have RS mechanical rear diffs so I'd expect it to easily handle anything I can throw at it. There's so much more mechanical grip with the RS diff, but it's also nice to be able get it sideways when provoked without computers ruining the fun.
    Sorry didn't realise it had the mechanical diff. Carry on!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
    so you're not doing the AHTR this year? i've just entered in the hillclimb on saturday morning
    Sounds like we should do a mini-PF meet at Willunga

Quote Originally Posted by wagoner View Post
    nice work!
    Thanks mate.

Would dearly love to enter the Willunga Hillclimb as it looks like a kick arse piece of road, but it's right in the middle of Uni Exam week. Also, there is transport on the main roads, and although my car is road registered, it would be running slicks, aero, carbon body work, full cage, no interior etc. Cops would have a field day. Looks like it's going to be a bit wet so it might be a blessing in disguise.

I 'plan' to enter the next Porsche Club Sprint at Mallala on July 7th. Just praying now for a dry track! Nothing worse than having a perfectly good/prepped race car sit in the garage collecting dust waiting months for a dry track day

Well, I entered the SA Porsche Sprint last Sunday at Mallala - weather was again damaging in Adelaide the day before competition, but fortunately the rain and hail swept across the coast and didn't affect areas too badly in-land. When I turned up to Mallala, it was cold but dry as a biscuit with blue skys. Perfect turbo weather!

In the first practice session, the engine had a miss on part throttle, but on WOT, the car felt VERY strong! A lazy 1:17.4 lap of Mallala bedding in the new rotors/pads and heat cycling the new tyres looked a promising sign for the next session. Sadly, on the start of the second lap in Practice 2, just before I was getting into my stride, the engine gave way:

Terminal engine failure (rod punched a hole through the rear of the block) was the verdict when inspected. I am not surprised nor disappointed (other than the financial side of things) - this engine copped an absolute belting over the years and far surpassed my expectations for a 14 year old motor with 115K kms on the clock that was knocking on the door of 280wkw's.

At this point in time, I simply could not justify buying a new block ($1-2K) and building a mega dollar forged stroker motor - i'd want to do it properly and not be half-arsed about it, so it wouldn't be back in action for 12 months at best.

I came across a very low kilometre (20,000km) Evo 9 crate engine which was bought brand new from Mitsubishi Ralliart late 2011. It was too good to refuse, so I bought it!

I'll more than likely do a 'rod job' (forged rods, rod bolts, bearings etc.) while the engine is out of the car and fit my Kelford 272 cams, new head gasket and head studs while the head is off. This should safely hold in excess of 400wkw's if/when I decide to push it that far.

The stock Evo 9 turbo currently on my car was working over time at 32-33psi (kill mode!), and I knew that was not sustainable, so I will be getting the turbo sent to Gt pumps to be upgraded to 712GTP spec. In a nut shell, the 712GTP turbo features a billet compressor wheel, 10.5cm turbine housing and larger turbine wheel. Basically, it delivers stock like response with an additional (peak) 30wkw's and more torque.

The prospect of further developing a 2.0L, for me, while taking it to the stroker boys is exciting. Cannot wait to put it through it's paces on the track with the added benefit of MIVEC in the Evo 6 chassis.

Looking good. The mivecs worth its weight in gold for spool up and driveability, really tame the kelford 272's right down.
    97 Express van 4G63 compound Turbo Tdo5/HX40 @ 34.7234psi.

Gone--
    93 GSR 1.8L 406whp 11.6@126mph

After an agonizing 4 week wait (and after getting lost in transit!), the new heart for the Evo 6 finally arrived! Now that I actually have an engine, I can start thinking about ordering parts... right at the time the Aussie $$$ is shit

The Evo 9 MIVEC engine is still very fresh, and has only traveled a mere 26,000kms.

It was sent off to SKR recently, and we had a bit of a discussion about the build. I am going to keep it 2.0L and fill it with forged internals while the engine is out of the car.

The engine needs to have a rev ceiling of ~ 8500rpm and ultimately be reliable, but be strong enough for a future FP Red/GTP762 (350wkw + ) style turbo upgrade.

In the interim, the build will comprise of the following:

- Stock crank (X-rayed for cracks/weaknesses)
    - Carrillo Pro H-Beam 150mm Forged connecting rods
    - CP or Wiseco Forged Pistons
    - Kelford 272 or GSC S2 Camshafts
    - H/D Valve Springs (with titanium retainers)
    - Evo 9 OEM 5 layer head gasket
    - ARP Headstuds
    - Xtreme Carbon Blade Single plate clutch with 1650kg clamp load
    - Current Full Race Pro Stock Manifold
    - Current Evo 9 turbo to be upgraded to GT Pumps 712GTP spec

The stock Evo 9 ECU will be utilised, and fortunately I have the 4 to 3 plug conversion all sorted with thanks to a mate who did all the hard work for me

With any sort of luck, it will be back up and running before the end of the year.

Well, at long last, I have a bit of an update.

Unlike most built Evos, I have decided to keep the engine 2.0L, as I believe that will suit the style of events I have in store for the car. Obviously, the 2.0L won't quite have the same torque as a stroker, but it should have a nice wide and most importantly 'useable' power band (4500rpm-8500rpm). On the circuit, my car never drops below 4200rpm, so all the power/torque/response that you'd gain from the stroker motor would ultimately be wasted. And, I'd more than likely have to shift at around 7000rpm providing an undesired power band not to mention more gear shifts around the track!

I ordered a set of Carrillo 150mm Pro H rods with Carr rod bolts, and after 4 weeks, they finally showed up. Rated at 1100hp, these should handle more than anything I am prepared to throw at it, and some.

As you do when you get a set of Carrillo rods to demonstrate just how light they are - 583g including rod bolts

Slightly oversized 85.5mm 9.0:1 CP Pistons also arrived and are to be sent off to Steve Knight Racetech early next week so we can get the Evo 9 block bored to suit. I will be using the stock Evo 9 crank, but will get it treated for extra insurance.

GSC Heavy Duty Hi RPM 5041 Beehive Valve springs with titanium retainers.

GSC S2 274/274 Mivec cams to replace my old Kelford 272's...

My little Walbro 255 fuel pump wasn't going to be up to the task, so I was looking for an upgrade. Also, due to increased lateral G's at the track from super sticky semi-slicks, a surge tank had to incorporated in the new build. As far as I am aware, I haven't had issues with surge at the track, but with additional speed around long right handers (a la Mallala's kink) and more grip from wider rubber, a surge tank was a must.

I picked up a fuel system and fuel cell recently which has hardly seen any use, so I snapped it up. It's a little overkill, so it should serve me well into the future. It consists of:

- 40Lt fuel cell with foam
    - Holley Black lift pump
    - 2Lt surge tank
    - -8 proflow stainless steel filter
    - Twin 044's with pro flow bracket and speedflow check valves to a Y-piece
    - Overflow tank with quick drain and 1 way valve if full
    - All fittings with Teflon line so I can run whatever fuel I like

Should have some steady updates over the next month or two. At this stage, it's looking like the engine will be assembled, in the car and running some time in January

Looking very promising! Is Steve building the motor?

Looking forwards to seeing this back out there with the new motor.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the belated reply- hard to progress with an engine build over the x-mas/new year break when you're waiting until people are back on deck. Spiller, the engine build and tuning will all be done by SKR.

Bought an Evo 9 ECU wiring loom from an Evo 9 that was recently written off at Lakeside. Probably don't need to use it as we're pretty confident that we can use the stock Evo 6 loom with a few minor changes to get MIVEC working. Good to have just in case as a back up should something not go to plan!

While my car was on the hoist, I took a photo of the sump on my old engine- gudgeon pins punched a couple of neat holes through my sump! As expected, the internals look pretty munched up inside. No holes in the block from what I can see which is probably a first for a blown Evo engine!

On the subject of sumps, I sent my stock Evo 9 sump to Race fab in NZ to be modified (hinged type baffles & increased capacity to hold 7 litres). Evos tend to have issues with oil pressure through high speed right-handers. The risk of oil starvation is extrapolated when you fit ultra sticky soft slicks/semi-slicks as well as the increased lateral G's generated with more downforce/aerodynamics.

They're a fantastic piece of kit!

Custom made Dryden Motorsport radiator air deflector- great to dispose of the shitty cracked and deteriorated stock plastic POS- this will look sweet when I eventually get to fit it lol

GTpumps 762GTP turbocharger with Turbosmart wastegate actuator also surfaced recently. It will bolt up to my Full Race Pro Stock manifold- it flows around 62lb/min which should produce plenty of beans on the built 2.0L without being too laggy.

My stock low km crankshaft has recently been crack tested, linished and it was delivered to Chris Milton engine developments here in Adelaide for the Meta-lax process. Treatment to the stock crank for that little bit of extra insurance I think is well worth the investment. Meta-lax is not only used on crankshafts, but also on brake rotors that are susceptible to cracking, as well as rear diffs in drag cars.

Hope to have my old broken engine removed and drop the stock fuel tank this weekend. All things being equal, engine assembly should hopefully commence next week.
    Last edited by Race Spec; 16-01-14 at 05:34 PM.

Hinges straight from Bunnings??

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

What hinges do you suggest I use Dave, Hettich or Gainsborough?

Let me know ASAP so I can get onto Racefab to let them know what they're not doing right.
    Last edited by Race Spec; 16-01-14 at 08:42 PM.

Carillos are nice run the same series in my Caldina. Interested to see what this make as a comparison.
    If in doubt power out

Did you purchase the rods in Australia? Interested in price that's all. I was contemplating order a set online from the US for a Mazda BP engine. Interested in your engine build, keep the updates coming.
    1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe
    1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon
    1979 Mazda RX7 12APP
    1994 Mazda Familia GTR

The Carrillos are amazing- capable of withstanding 1500hp plus in 2JZ's and over 1000hp in 4G63's. They're one of the best H-beams on the market and provide the optimum balance between light weight and strength. Mine were purchased directly from the US a few months ago when the AUD v USD wasn't the best With Carr rod bolts (best money can buy), they were $1200 delivered. I have a few contacts though that help me at times save a bit.