Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Evo VI GSR - Road and Track Spec

No sarcasm intended about the hinges, I just expected something a bit more sophisticated than gate hinges,that's all.

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Thankfully I bought mine when the aus dollar was $1.05. May as well spend the money once and do it properly. I sourced mine through real street performance in the US and they were sensational to deal with. Made up a customs friendly receipt for shipping too
    If in doubt power out

Looking good brad. Is the evo club doing their time attacks this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Rona View Post
    Thankfully I bought mine when the aus dollar was $1.05. May as well spend the money once and do it properly. I sourced mine through real street performance in the US and they were sensational to deal with. Made up a customs friendly receipt for shipping too
    Kinda wish my engine let go 3 months earlier than it did- most of my parts were sourced from the US, and when it was time to lay the money down, the AUD was at $0.90. Reckon I would have saved close to 1 gorilla in total. I have spent big on most things to hopefully lay down the best foundations... only thing that might be a weak link is the crank. Some have seen 900hp for an extended period of time while others have snapped with the stock power output. Home mine wasn't cast on a Monday or Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    Looking good brad. Is the evo club doing their time attacks this year?
    Cheers Simon.

I gather that MGEC will only have 1 round of Time Attack this year which is likely to be scheduled for the October long weekend.

As I am also a PCSA member, I'll probably enter a couple of Porsche sprint events during the year. I like the fact that they use Dorian timing which is uploaded onto Natsoft. You should enter a round... your Lotus certainly wouldn't look out of place!
    Mallala Motorsport Park - 1:11.71 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY85CK31if8
    Wakefield Park Raceway - 1:05.31 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PREI-jK4L98
    Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb - 41.67 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmaG8jn3Tw

Yeah I've been wanting to get out there, just wasn't sure if they were "really" welcoming non Porsche owners? Do you have a couple mates out there? Might have to give one a go!

The club itself is fine (more cars that enter the better financially as far as the club goes), but I suspect that some of the Porsche GT3/Cup car owners aren't too fond of other marques littering the front two-three rows of the grid in the fastest group Most Supersprint rounds are typically made up of ~ 75% Porsches and 25% other marques. I sometimes head out there with a mate, otherwise I just manage on my own.

You have to become an associate member of the PCSA which is only $60 pa and entitles you to enter all the Supersprints rounds (6 rounds this year) throughout the year. You get quite a bit of track time- it's much better value than Time Attack. Unlike Time Attack, you can run full slicks too if you want. I'm hoping to enter the March 16 Sprint, otherwise I'll have to wait until the next round scheduled in June.

http://cms.porsche-clubs.com/Porsche...2571ED0053EA9A

Haha I can imagine they wouldn't take too kindly to that. Thanks for the info, sounds good, need to just bite the bullet and get out there. March could be a goer for me also.

Great write up and enjoyed from start to rebuild.

I reckon that modified sump is the lifeline your motor was beckoning for! watching that last vid when it blew you were pulling some hard G's.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Cheers Greg Rust.

Bit of an update:

My old broken Evo 6 engine was finally removed earlier this year, and the engine bay cleaned up.

Removed the sound deadener/matting from the engine bay firewall. It's was a bit tedious but it tore off bit by bit with a stanley knife and vice grips. Probably only weighs 1kg in total but in the end, it was worth the effort. It makes for a nicer engine bay, and it probably won't make me feel so bad about eating Mc Donalds the night before race day

The bottom end all built and Racefab sump fitted.

Fast forward 2 more months...

The engine is finally fully built and complete. The head was fitted and GSC S2 cams were dialled in. All manifolds, turbo and clutch were then bolted on.

Brand spanking new Gt Pumps 762GTP and Turbosmart wastegate actuator with 23psi spring.

New Evo 9 240mm Xtreme Single Carbon clutch kit with upgraded Evo 9 flywheel. This should have ample clamping force with a relatively soft pedal feel which hopefully will be a big improvement over my old trusty but grippy NPC single blade ceramic unit.

Then, the we bolted on the gearbox... and to say that it was filthy was an total understatement. I wasted 3 cans of degreaser cleaning the outside and well as the inside of the gearbox casing. The powder from the fire extinguisher was everywhere! We needed to repair one of the gearbox casing threads with a stainless steel helicoil insert as it was stripped.

Fast Forward another month or so...

The Evo 6 is finally back in my hands after a long and arduous 9 months. Unfortunately, it took a little longer than it should, and I had to make a few compromises along the way just so I could get it back in my possession.

We had a few issues over the past few weeks with the idle which took a while to diagnose. Basically we used the factory Evo 6 wiring harness with an Evo 9 ECU and boomslang adapter which is now doing the job quite nicely.

We ran it on the dyno late last week and attempted to tune and do some power runs, but it proved to be a fruitless exercise. The power/torque readings were low, and at first, we thought that the car might have been wheel spinning on the dyno (the car is fitted with some old Dunlop hard compound semi-slicks). So, to hopefully help the problem, I decided to purchase a new set of sticky soft Hankook semi slicks... and it was back on the dyno the following week.

During one of the power runs, there was a horrible noise at around 8000rpm and bricks were shat. Fortunately, it was just a power steering belt which decided to give way! Phew!!

First thing I did was give the car a wash to remove 9 months of dirt and dust, it was disgusting!

Evo 9 engine looks at home in the Evo 6 engine bay.

We used a CT9A FP 84mm silicone intake pipe to suit the 762GTP as it flows well, but I have had to slightly reposition the existing air box in order for it to fit. The air box is not optimal at the moment, but it will have to make do until I have time to make something up.

Racefab 7 litre baffled and gated racing sump under the car... seems to have plenty of clearance.

We made a tail shaft loop under the car (chain and clear PVC tubing) as required by some CAMS events in the unlikely event a tail shaft snaps!

The battery has now been relocated to the boot to free up engine bay space and help with weight balance.

Surge tank mounted in the rear right hand side to hopefully combat surge on high speed right hand bends (most tracks in Oz are run clockwise) and 2 x Bosch 044 fuel pumps supply the pump E85. Noisy bastards!

I recently sealed off the rear parcel shelf and boot with 1.2mm thick alloy sheet. It's fixed with rivets and adhered with clear silicone. Hopefully the silicone eliminates any rattling. Just need to seal off the edges with tape so that it is completely fire/fume proof.

Picked up my new Hankooks from the guys at SA Motorsport tyres, so the car was all set.

On the dyno finally ready to put it through it's paces and get a result...

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be

We were experiencing issues with fuel supply, and the car was running mega lean as soon as it came on boost. Sadly, we couldn't rectify the issue that night. I had entered the 2014 Mt. Alma Mile Hill Climb, but was left with no option but pull out from the event as I just couldn't get it ready on time. I was bitterly disappointed.

I recently purchased a Turbosmart TS 1200 fuel pressure regulator (mine is currently stock) and an aftermarket fuel rail which will hopefully rectify my fuel supply issues.

Also purchased an AEM digital oil pressure gauge which will be fitted before it hits the track.

Recently, while the bonnet was up, I discovered this!

Lucky my strut didn't poke a hole through my carbon bonnet!

The old KTS coilovers have served me very well over the years, but now it's time to bin them in favour of some MCA Reds. Hopefully they should arrive before Easter.

Really hope to get the all the issues sorted and post some results by the end of April, as this car has been giving me the shits.

I've missed reading about this car.
    Past
    74 260z - MOBY
    00 WRX - JARVIS
    09 Z750
    93 Rz Supra - SOUP
    05 Golf GTI
    07 350z Track
    10 Triumph Daytona 675
    73 240z - Red Car
    13 BRZ
    04 Liberty GT

Current
    10 Lexus ISF

My Flickr

MRC Imagery on Facebook

Nice update.

Little bit of an update.

The issue with the car running lean is no longer a problem thankfully, so the after market fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator has apparently done the trick. As of late last week, the car was only making 300awkw at around 28psi and drops down to 25psi at red line. There is still quite a bit more work left to be done on the MIVEC timing side of things, so I'd expect drastic changes once properly tuned, especially at that boost level.

Also, my MCA Reds arrived and they are an awesome looking and quality piece of gear.

As I am not planning to enter or win any classes at World Time Attack any time soon, I didn't go too radical and just opted for Josh's recommendations of 10kg front and 11kg rear springs. These should be light years ahead of my old KTS coliovers, so cannot wait to bolt these puppies in. Just need a car to fit them in first lol

I had the opportunity to fit the new coil over struts yesterday while the car was on a hoist. After a 10-15km drive home, they felt great on the street thus far albeit a little bit soft. Might be because my old Jap coil overs were a bit crude, but really expect the MCA's to shine out on the circuit.

Also while the car was on the hoist, we replaced my knock sensor as we figured that it was playing up. Absolute prick to get to as we had to remove the front drive shafts and transfer case just to replace it. As it wheels were off, and suspension was apart, it was the opportune time to swap it over.

Old, and very worse for wear KTS front struts vs new MCA Reds:

New front struts in the car:

Old KTS rear struts vs new MCA Reds:

New rear struts all bolted in:

New adjustable strut tops in the engine bay, along with new after market fuel rail and Turbosmart 1200hp fuel pressure regulator.

Brand new Evo 7 radiator to replace my original and completely stuffed radiator. Evo 7 radiator is slightly bigger than the original so more efficient and half the price to purchase. It was a relatively easy fit with a couple of locating brackets that had to be made to hold the bottom of the radiator in place.

Initial dyno run, from a few weeks ago, which was more so testing the fuel set up. Hope to see something around 340wkw at that boost level when it goes for it's final tune next week, and something closer to 370wkw at around 32psi. The car is booked to get the suspension properly set up as well as wheel alignment before it goes back on the dyno.

Last edited by Race Spec; 11-05-14 at 03:24 PM.

Coming along nicely

The car has finally returned home after a plethora of running issues, and jumping ship is probably one of the best things I have done moving forward with the car. It has never run better and I cannot thank Mike Dale from Mike Dale Automotive enough.

Basic engine spec is as follows:

- Evo 9 Mivec engine low kilometre (25,000km)
    - Stock crank crack tested, linished and Meta-Lax treated
    - Bored and decked cylinder block
    - CP 85.5mm oversized forged 9.0:1 CR pistons
    - 150mm Carrillo Pro H Rods with Carr Rod Bolts
    - GSC S2 Camshafts
    - GSC 5041 H/D Springs and titanium retainers
    - GSC Valve stem seals
    - New OEM Evo 9 head gasket
    - ARP Head and Main studs
    - ACL Race series Main and Con rod bearings
    - Balance shaft delete kit
    - Race Fab 7L Racing Sump
    - Gt pumps 762GTP Turbo with 84mm FP silicone intake pipe
    - Evo 9 factory ECU with Boomslang patch loom
    - New OEM Evo 8 radiator
    - Battery re-located to boot
    - AEM oil pressure gauge fitted

New fuel system:

- 2 x Bosch 044 fuel pumps in boot
    - 2L in boot surge tank
    - 1700cc Bosch Fuel Injectors
    - After market fuel rail
    - Turbosmart FPR1200

New driveline:

- New Xtreme single carbon blade clutch
    - Evo 8 machined flywheel

New suspension:

- MCA Red Coil overs 10kg front, 11kg rear

After a couple of months, and a number of dyno sessions, the car finally started to take shape. ECU/Mivec wiring issues were diagnosed and remedied; compared to my previous dyno run, the car picked up 90kw's in some areas low in the rev range - the difference on the road was like night and day.

It finally produced a much improved and healthy 327wkw on 28-29 psi, but on the dyno, the car struggled to make much more power incrementally after 26-27psi when boost was increased. It should be making around 350kws at 28-29psi, but there appears to be a restriction somewhere in the set up (we think rear muffler on the Turbo XS exhaust or something restrictive on the intake side), so we left it where it was. That said, I am extremely happy with the curve, and most surprisingly, the way it effortlessly drives away at low RPM on the road in traffic. It should be wicked on the track

As I am running the factory Evo 6 loom, my radiator fan runs constantly, which is not the end of the world, but would like to rectify that in the next stage. Also, a proper light weight straight through exhaust is on the cards, so I can feed a little bit more boost through the turbo to get it over the 350wkw mark without stressing anything too hard. Being 60wkw more than what I had previously, I am happy to leave it where it is at this stage and see how it fairs around Mallala on moderate boost. I am gearing up for a return to the track in a Porsche Sprint early July in a completely new and much improved set up, and I CANNOT wait!

Good stuff Brad, Mike Dale knows his shit. Runs a good business too, very professional! This should be a hoot, I suspect you'll annoy a few GT3 owners! Might try and make that sprint too if my rotors come by then.

what made you go the 762GTP over the BB FP red?
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Awesome progress. Definitely one of my favorite Evo6s
    Past
    74 260z - MOBY
    00 WRX - JARVIS
    09 Z750
    93 Rz Supra - SOUP
    05 Golf GTI
    07 350z Track
    10 Triumph Daytona 675
    73 240z - Red Car
    13 BRZ
    04 Liberty GT

Current
    10 Lexus ISF

My Flickr

MRC Imagery on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by spiller View Post
    Good stuff Brad, Mike Dale knows his shit. Runs a good business too, very professional! This should be a hoot, I suspect you'll annoy a few GT3 owners! Might try and make that sprint too if my rotors come by then.
    He is very professional, organised and doesn't fuck you around. Wish I went to Mike Dale years ago. I have entered the PCSA sprint Sunday week -hope to see you there!

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    what made you go the 762GTP over the BB FP red?
    762GTP is a bit bigger than the FP Red (62lb vs 60lb/min), and has been proven to make more power than the Red with no loss in spool. There are shit loads of Evos (most of them built strokers) that now use the 762GTP with great results. A couple have touched 400wkws. There's nothing wrong with FP turbos until something goes wrong with them, in which case you can forget about getting any after sales service. I know that if I have any issues, Mark will look after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex View Post
    Awesome progress. Definitely one of my favorite Evo6s
    Thanks mate
    Last edited by Race Spec; 26-06-14 at 05:08 PM.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    You might want to change the big sticker on your windscreen!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Is the 762 too laggy for the street on a 2.0L?

What about on pump?

I dont want to go a stroker in my new car either.
    www.vapeboss.com.au - big discounts for PF Cunts, PM me for a code

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    You might want to change the big sticker on your windscreen!
    All stickers were removed last night as a matter of fact

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    Is the 762 too laggy for the street on a 2.0L?

What about on pump?

I dont want to go a stroker in my new car either.
    Do you have a 7, 8 or 9?

Mivec really helps with low down spool (~ 2-300rpm earlier than a non Mivec Evo)... especially with a turbo this size. You would have to run E85 no matter what- it'd be laggy as fuck with a 2.0L on 98. I would be looking at the 712GTP/FP Green/BBK Full for a street driven Evo which are all 300wkw capable on E85, and are not much laggier than stock. My car has great mid-top end charge. To enjoy it on the street, I have to wring it's neck all the way up to it's 8500rpm redline, which is not ideal if you want to retain a license.

7, no mivec.

I want to dual map and use 98 on the street, being limited to 100kms on hills thrashes does not interest me again.

712GTP it is then.

It was a very successful day for me at Mallala yesterday - wet track hampered the first two sessions, but the sun finally came out, and the track became conducive to reasonable lap times.

The objective of the day was just to test and reacquaint myself with the car. With a severe lack of seat time, I was very rusty early on, and a completely new setup took some serious getting used to!

The Evo 6, starting from the second row of the grid in the fastest group, with it's little 2.0L was running like a charm in the first couple of sessions while I was getting a handle on the car.

Fastest Time ever posted around Mallala in an Evo is Steve Knight's Evo 6 with a 1:11.0 back in 2011. Not taking anything away from team BRM, but the boys at Willall Racing like making their own set of rules as well as false claims. So, my ultimate short term goal was to run quicker than 1:12.5

With that in mind, I pulled up stumps in the second to last session as soon as the 1:12.3 flashed up on my Racelogic Performance Box. I ended up posting the fastest time in every dry session the car competed in with a new PB of 1:12.3465! The car had some braking issues, but I have no doubt that it would have been even quicker on the day with a cleaner lap, but was extremely happy to see the results came so soon.

In-car video from session 3 of yesterday's Porsche Sprint starting from the front row in group 1. First lap was a warm up, and the fastest time of the day, a 1:12.3465 was posted on the second lap whilst pulling out multiple car lengths on a stripped out R35 GTR race car.

The car is still way down in power and suspect the rear muffler is severely holding it back as well as it's restrictive intake. So, I will make a straight through exhaust, revised intake and have the car undergo a MAFless tune on the new 107 octane United E85. Lots more to come from this Evo 6 when more power is unleashed, further fine tuning and some more seat time.

Nice times there

I hope you posted that time on Willall's facebook page?

Quick car is quick
    GT8
    1UZ Celica
    1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Quote Originally Posted by Justengt4 View Post
    I hope you posted that time on Willall's facebook page?

Quick car is quick
    if brad doesn't I will

Thanks lads.

Would probably even pay money for you to post it up on the Willall page just for lols.

Martin Donnon has banned me from posting on the Willall FB webpage. Posting factual and truthful information obviously hurts.

ill pm you my address to send the cheque brad

edit: now gone lol
    Last edited by dougmo; 07-07-14 at 08:28 PM.

Typical lol

Congrats, great times.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .