Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: HQ Monaro with all sorts of shit done to it...

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Worth the effort tho
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    If it helps that looks fucking mint!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Fark that looks good...got a real soft spot for fat HQs.

was spewing not to see this run.

Hopefully next time

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    Got new starter today. Maybe on the weekend i'll get it in and finish wiring up the shift light and put the handbrake back in - because I spent so much time getting the rear end aligned to the body and tyre clearances for the street meet I never got around to do those other couple of other things. Might take Johnny's advice and go out on an origin wednesday if it's not raining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Atleast it looked fat as fuck sitting at the drags haha allways the way it goes better luck next outting

Done fuckall to this. Something tried to kill me on Tuesday night and had a night in Westmead Hosp, go for more tests next week, but I ended up swapping out the starter and making sure the flywheel wasn't chewed out - success on both accounts! The new starter rips the cunt over again like i've pulled all 8 plugs out. My notes tell me the last (same) bok choi starter lasted 4.5 years which aint bad for a $130 starter!

Probably take it for a run during the week if the wife goes away with the kid while I wait for the new car to get here from Perf.

If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off

So this thing hasn't seen the light of day for a while until now, actually when Jonescunt went ran his 10sec time was the last time I took it out. Anyhoot, the wife has gone away with the young bloke for a week so I decided its time to make some tree huggers angry and burn some fuel! I been doing a fuckload of reading about injector timing with camshaft profiles so I popped out my cam card and setup the injector timing properly and fuck me, this little megasquirt ECU that couldn't, all of a sudden can. I never thought i'd see the day when this motor would idle at lambda and cruise at lamdba with a 0.2AFR drift when in closed-loop, I reckon I could get it tighter if I fucked with the PID loop more but it's pretty tight and probably within 0.2-0.3AFR of target everywhere. Tomorrow i'll crack it out for a wash and probably look at machine buffing it as it hasn't seen a pad in years now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-10-02 11.54.23_sm.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	95376

Spewing we didn't catch up yesterday but I don't think you'd have had fun on the roads we went on.

PS: don't take grumpy old muscle cars to West Head or Akuna Bay. FUCK. MY. LIFE.

Hahah whatchyoutalkinboutwillis. Mine's an injected puppy dog with power steer and power brakes, oh and it doesn't get hot anymore!

Been a while since any updates due to broken gearbox. Last time out at the track it wouldn't do better than 12.2 with a 2.x 60' and could not RPM in 3rd gear which is fucking odd for 3.89 gears so had the box stripped down and found that when it was put together first time around the direct drum snagged the seal so it was loosing line pressure in 3rd (thank you data logger!) and the converter would pull the revs WAY down when shifting (6800 --> 4700) so the recovery was pretty fucked between shifts which made me decide to put a proper converter in, so rang up TCE and they sent me a 5000 9.5" one to suit my motor/gears/weight etc... Anyhow, between life duties with a 16 month old child and work, I finally got it back on the ground today. Fuck me..... the fun factor went up about x10000! Slips a bit more when taking off, but meh.

Testing flash stall in top gear at 50-60km/h is really fun first few goes...

Didn't think yours would slip much with torque monster + 9.5" convertor unless you're still in that heavy foot mode lol
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

People don't realize how much better a car is with a good converter
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Yeah it's been a while since i last drove it so the foot is still calibrating 😁

Jonesy: yep. Am really glad I swapped the old one out. The old one might have been good for the 75year old die hard pontiac nuts who just like to put around on a Sunday and maybe chirp second, but that ain't me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very very rare that people say my convertor is too big i wish it was smaller
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by krisr View Post
    The old one might have been good for the 75year old die hard pontiac nuts who just like to put around on a Sunday and maybe chirp second, but that ain't me.
    Oi!

Haha

So datalogs tell me the flash stall is pretty much bang on, they also tell me that the current trans cooler (baby cunt of a thing) won't keep up as suspected being only 280x145. Had a 280x280 plate thing on stand by in anticipation for this very moment so Tuesday will modify the mounting brackets and try again. Being 48% bigger in surface area, hopefully it'll do the job. Still can't get over how much the car has come to life with just a converter swap!

Now got that small convertor syndrome with only 4400 flash stall with 4500 stally.

Think have same shit sized cooler....another job on the to do list,luckily oil leaks on ground still clean red fluid lol.

Test flash stall cold night good road at 60km/h...fuckloads of fun when see how much speed they pick up in a few seconds.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

I've still got the 295 DRs on at about 15psi so it's been extra fun right up to the signposted limit 😁. Since the street meet this Sunday is now a IHRA TnT thing I might put the street wheels back on and try to ease up on the right foot calibration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think the right foot has finished it's calibration. Keep snapping power steering belts. I think the pump alignment is off slightly from a quick eyeball plus i've never had any luck with the shitty cogged type belt. New 280x280 transcooler has fixed the temp issue and it just behaves everywhere, however even though it doesn't have the power that dogsballs thing has, it'll turn both 275/60 street tyres when cruising at 60kmh in 3rd gear when you mash it, just can't steer it afterwards

Won't snap belts with Astra p/steer pump under the guard.

Switching to 275/60 too...much cheaper to shred lol

Hmmmm... i'll tweak the spacers first and make sure it's all square but failing that will look into this black magic electric pump you speak of.

Yeah my Sumitomo 275's were like $200 from that tyre trader joint in Seven Hills. Is this for the commodore? I thought it already had 275/60's??

It's got 305/50...did want325/50 untill saw what they cost & need wheel arch pumped out a tad to fit.

Gouged a sidewall doing doughies in storage carpark...too low & diff was off centred as tyre rubbed on fuel tank (needs new section welded in)

Will go 275/60 street rubber,they're a cheaper tyre to skid on.

Starting to like idea of those electric powersteer pumps & brake vacuum pumps.

Right, been a while and have done a few things to this nugget. Took it to the track a few times, had the famous Pontiac "I dont wanna rev over 5400rpm" problem and it was verified by the dyno tq/hp trace hitting a plateau at 5400rpm, very slowing building revs to about 5700, falling off a 130hp cliff to 6300 then taking a sharp turn to start building power to 6700 where we shut it down... it was also running 113mph each and every run no matter what I changed - on the 2-3 shift it felt like the car just stopped like it hit a rev limiter, changed intake manifolds, slightly heavier valve springs as the old ones lost like 30lbs on the seat, but hopefully the fix was to fuck the hydraulic roller lifters off and run solid rollers. Because hydraulics have a smaller lash ramp than a typical solid roller, you need to set the lash super tight. I eventually worked out after a few heat cycles that the heads grow about 0.006" at the valve so a cold lash of about 0.004" puts me onto the sweet spot of 0.006" x rocker ratio. Valve train is SUPER quiet, has that typical solid sewing machine noise at light cruise but that's about it. Cunt pulls on the street right the way out to the proper rev limiter now.

Car also feels very different now, hard to explain, but without the hydraulic action in the valve train anymore, small tuning changes make bigger impacts now plus it needed about 12% more fuel up top so it's getting full lift now!

Will take it out on Wednesday night to see if it'll rev and mph now and worry about fixing the ET another day, when it had the broken lifters it was going 11.8 limping across the line at I think about 5700rpm which is OK ET for a 3700lb street car with the baby seat still in it and a bag of tools in the boot. Definitely not getting into a "chasing the dragon" type thing to make it turn the earth off its axis, whatever it ET's, it ET's.
    Last edited by krisr; 30-10-17 at 11:04 AM.

11.7 @ 115 - fuck knows what is going on... The slide calcs claim it's putting around 400hp to the ground at 3700lbs weight so who knows, many things that I can do to test/try to get the mph to come up but come at a time/money cost, or I can just turbo the fucking thing. Fucking cars...

You know the smart choice......s475

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this nugget hasn't been getting much love lately so I decided to get a proper solid roller camshaft ground for it to see if it'll wake up any before I just stop fucking with it and enjoy it for what I built it for - to be driven.

New cam arrives, reasonable size fucker now... 255/262 @ 0.050", had to compromise on lift as my springs will only take about 0.640" leaving me with about 0.060" before they stack so will end up with about 0.625" after lash, and got it ground on 108 lobe sep so if it doesn't go the part, it'll definitely fucken sound it!

Anyhow, got the cam installed and started to check clearances and stuff. Set it on 104 intake centreline and check piston to valve... 0.020" on the intake and 0.040" on the exhaust, with check springs... I know i'm snookered here because retarding it will only tighten up the exhaust clearance. Thinking that the valve angle might not be sitting in the reliefs, I crack a head off thinking i'll just use some modelling clay to see where the valve head is in relation to the piston crown. Anyhoot, end up finding that with the old hydraulic roller setup when I found the springs went weak on the seats, it's been valve bouncing and all 8 have been smooching with the pistons. In short, Justin "the fucking ke26wagon legend cunt" comes around and we get the motor out and stripped in about 1/2 hour.

In the end, nothing is broken/cracked as I was worried about these pistons cracking near the gudgeon pins or if the valve seats had any chatter, the entire motor measures up like it was machined yesterday even though it's copped some shit (has 20,000kms on it now), bores are still perfectly round, the pistons still have the 0.003" skirt clearance like the destructions say to have, just found it has a wee bit of thrust, the rod bearings are a bit worn but nothing to serious and no sign of detonation anywhere so speaking with my machinist mate he's going to take about 0.055" off the heads so I can sneak the comp up to about 11.5:1, then when I get the heads back i'll make up valve relief cutters using a 2.19 ford valve and a 1.80 holden valve and flycut the pistons and then setup the heads with longer valves so I can run 2" install height springs so I can get about 0.750" of lift to make more use of the heads and use a way better cam lobe than what I had to compromise with, like a 0.440" lobe. Once all that shit is done, new bearings and rings and slam it back together and drive the fucken thing.

Name:	20171224_170854.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	104044

Name:	20171230_134325.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	104045

Name:	20171229_160126.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	104046
    Last edited by krisr; 31-12-17 at 06:55 PM.

'Twas fucking easy to rip that engine out, even pleasurable being so clean compared to mine lol

Jesus, thats more than just a love tap

Kissed on the dick no more damage
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?