Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavyweight challenge - supra time attack?

Heavyweight challenge - supra time attack?

Hi all,

My plan is for a time attack poopra with street rego to get there and back.

Original platform
    Mark2 supra manual with cheap carrett single conversion, microtech and front mount, alloy radiator, qsc shocks, front and rear cusco strut braces, 044 pump, external swirl pot, hks fuel rail, 850cc injectors, 3.5inch dump, chinese wastegate

Over the last 12 mths I've already done:
    4/2 trd brakes, dba slotted rotors
    A048 semi slicks
    Precision 6765 - 0.96rear
    Apexi avc-r - 1 bar boost
    100k service
    50mm tial wastegate with screamer
    Sparco race seats
    Quick spool valve
    TE37s

Results so far
    312kw at 17psi - mixture check
    1.02.44 sprint circuit queenslad raceway (bit useless after reading rz's thread but meh)

Next

Full race spec bond weld in rollcage
    Oil cooler
    Undertray w front splitter (RZ - you there?)
    Heat shield for clutch / brake booster
    Clutch (os giken disappears after a few laps)
    Harnesses

Future mods

Driver training!
    Weight loss after cage added 100kg+
    Ikeya lower and upper control arms
    More boost
    More rubber then when I run out of with on semis - full slicks
    E85
    New ecu
    new dash with data logger of some kind
    Diet (lose my gut)
    Rebuild - can anyone here help with ideas? Yanks seem to go 3.4 stroker but I'm new to all this.

All suggestions and help encouraged!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110825-00001.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	577.7 KB 
ID:	55820   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20110929-00064.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	55819  
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 17-03-12 at 07:59 AM.

My advice if you want to go fast is to spend less time on the power and more on getting it to stop and turn corners better. 3.4L stroker seems like massive overkill. An E85 tune with a good fuel system should get you close to 400rwkw with a 35r or similar sized turbo. Fix the floating style rear subframe and get a good wheel alignment then go from there.

Good stuff though, your car looks just like my old RZ, same colour and front lip and similar wheels. I'm in the process of building a jza70 for time attack, not an easy task with a GT car like the supra but all the more fun. With the splitter, ring some plastic shops and get hold of aluminum composite panel. It's light, easy to use and cheap. I got a 2450x1450mmx3mm sheet for $107 bucks.

Paging Mr Punanni and RZ.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Certainly does not need to have the heavyweight tag, although much of that depends on how streetable you want to keep it - the scope is there to lose a lot more than 100kg even after a cage

I hope you're saving the coin for that Ikeya front end!
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 16-03-12 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

I never could understand why people called Supras heavyweights. They'd be under 1500kg with a single, and well under with some basic race prep, which is similar to a 32 GTR. Comparing to a silvia maybe, but then nobody seems to criticize GTS-Ts even though they are fairly similar in weight.

agree with spiller , too much boost sucks arse especially if you have a largish single turbo... they get all swap-endy and horrible, so unless your pretty good at car control, you will just end up eating dirt and gravel, been there.
    as for suspension i have NFI. i just have cheap coilovers in mine and mounted the subframe like spiller suggested. but it would probably lap the same without either.
    wrong person to ask about a serious car, apart from taking out weight mine is pretty devoid of development.

Cheers guys. Re: the stroker and power etc, I should have noted this is a long termer too and that is bottom of the list under driver training, weight loss etc.

It's stiff as hell as I got it, tyre temps are very even across the tyres at QR though but it is 'swappy' now rz, more power without more talent won't help me yet and I don't need more heat, and e85 means a new ecu as no-one up here wants to touch it with the microtech on it.

On the rear sub-frame - do you mean solid mounting it?

I went 6765 and quickspool rather than 35r, haven't finished playing with the qsv and it is on boost really early compared to the 35r I have on my merc (2j).

For now the cage and suspension plus clutch and cooling / weightloss is the next 12 months. Rebuild only if something breaks. So you guys wouldn't go 3.4 in the long run though? I was after the torque, the other option I guess is playing with diff ratios once I get serious but don't know what options are floating around. It has the ao3b now.

Pennys are saved too. This was a challenge sneaking past no pics at the start but it's been 12 months to this stage so I should be right over the long term .

Yeh, get the braking and handling right first, once you find that lack of power is a significant handicap then look at having more. And don't spend money twice. Which means get what is necessary the first time even if the price hurts. Harry (hrd) has punted a Supra around Lakeside, he would have useful advice. Speaking of Lakeside, get out there asap because it is way more challenging than QR and requires good handling and driver input above all else.

Yes, solid mount the subframe. I would do suspension mods in this order...

Coilovers
    Solid rear subframe (not sure if the 80 subframes crack like 70 so you may have to reinforce!)
    Front and rear sway bars with adjustable end links
    Adjustable camber arms, toe, traction etc

Spring rates are also something to look into but it depends on whether this is street as well or just track.

What have you done for weight saving? You can ditch the a/c and rip out all of the sound deadening, stereo equipment and all of that stuff behind the dash that isn't necessary (heater core, fan box, condenser etc). All of that should save you at least another 75kg. Then you'd have to look at lighter panels if you wanted to go further.

Quote Originally Posted by 260DET View Post
    Harry (hrd) has punted a Supra around Lakeside, he would have useful advice. Speaking of Lakeside, get out there asap because it is way more challenging than QR and requires good handling and driver input above all else.
    I haven't had the supra out there but am a member of hrcc and gear days and have had the old mans etype racer round there a few times. I reckon it will need big balls in the supra, the e hits 200kmh by the kink.

Lakeside is a blast in a powerful car, it requires so much finesse to go fast, too much power can make it difficult until you get a handle on what is required to do good times there.

I may know of your Dad, has he got a brother who has built a stretched Gemini hybrid?

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Most of the Alloy subframe and diff mounts and adjustable arms can be bought at good prices from www.driftmotion.com
    He gets them from www.battleversion.com, it's decent stuff (see my build thread)

If there's any parts you don't see on the website just email him and he will add them

You would need to source the rear subframe mount from Titan though

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

And the 48s will be hurting you bad. Worst semi on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
    Mark2
    If you want to use the stupid yankee terms, thats actually a "mark 4" or MKIV, but its a series 2.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    And the 48s will be hurting you bad. Worst semi on the market.
    I second that. I used some secondhand Advan A048's (Medium/hard compound) for 3 rounds of lasts years SA Time Attack. I swapped over to a new set of Hankook Z221's and I shaved 1.5 seconds from my time around Mallala with nothing else changed to the car.

It would be a pleasant change for someone to find the right recipe by making a Supra competitive around a circuit because it appears to be a rare occurrence. The RZ Supra at last years SA Time Attack as well as the Supra that competed last year at WTAC didn't exactly set the world alight on the Timing Boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Race Spec View Post
    I swapped over to a new set of Hankook Z221's and I shaved 1.5 seconds from my time around Mallala with nothing else changed to the car.
    Thanks good intel, I have gone from 17x8.5 and 9.0 to 18x9.5 and x10 and haven't had it back out yet, it has ku36s on it right now as it's been sitting around, so the 1.02 was on the 48s and 17s.

Quote Originally Posted by Race Spec View Post
    It would be a pleasant change for someone to find the right recipe by making a Supra competitive around a circuit because it appears to be a rare occurrence. The RZ Supra at last years SA Time Attack as well as the Supra that competed last year at WTAC didn't exactly set the world alight on the Timing Boards.
    Agreed, and for me probably like everyone else the limiting factor is ability. In retrospect I probably should have bought an mx5 or saved up for an elise to learn to steer first, but went this way because no-one else was running them. RZ's 56sec around QR will take some beating though, I'll be ecstatic when I can get to those numbers. The current crop of gtrs are around 51 second I think as a comparo so competitive is all relative!

Here is a competitive one. http://www.jtm29.net/ steve and his son (an ex motox racer) have got under 60seconds around QR sprint and Lakeside with factory twins, 16psi, cage and a lot of braking and ikeya stuff. They are competitive the open time attack class and won the v8 and rear drive class last year up here.

Quote Originally Posted by 260DET View Post
    I may know of your Dad, has he got a brother who has built a stretched Gemini hybrid?
    No gemini, hybrid what, electric? Pic of the e here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brisbane-20120317-00276.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	653.4 KB 
ID:	55823  
    DJ's don't need sigs

Take it from me, biggest mistake do not solid mount the rear end. Its not a drag car, having no slack on the subframe will make the car rely on tyres only for grip. Swap that for solid mounting all the suspension arms over the rear end to keep your alignment settings still while cornering.

And all my suspension components are made in house in Adelaide from race parts from the USA. I got corner weight scales, downforce meter and mapping sensors on the coilovers to map the movement of the suspension.
    Last edited by 2domn8; 17-03-12 at 04:57 PM.

Mate, what are those vortex things near the front wheels all about?

Also did you have to make the carbon doors? I've seen the hatches I think on the net somewhere and given you have corner weight scales, what is your car's current weight as it stands? I need to weigh mine so would be great to see cost benefit on things like the hatch and doors. Also who did the (presumably?) Lexan rear hatch glass? Thanks for posting, this looks serious.

Quote Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
    No gemini, hybrid what, electric? Pic of the e here.
    Oh My!
    I want that shed. and it's contents.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

first rule of superlapping

big wings!
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

so this is booked for Monday week tuning - low and hi boost setting, so cage builder should have the rear of the cage finished by then too. Has been near 12 months since it's been on the road and never been tuned with the 6765 or quick spool valve so keen to see how early we can get her on boost.
    DJ's don't need sigs

Look forward to the results. There was a pretty serious Red Supra at the 1st Superlap at Oran Park. Think it was out of Victoria. Not sure what happened to it. Was pretty impressive down the straights from memory.

3.5L E85 drinking Supra? Independent Motorsports down in Dandenong (I think). Was in an issue of Zoom.

TBH, My car isnt much from every other single Supra. I run Cusco Coilovers (18/11kg), TMS Sway bars, Semi Slicks, ^ Pot fronts (The OEM 4 Pots were just as good!) GT35r...Almost 4 years like this. I have to get working on the suspension, to get more corner speed out of her. It turns in great, but too much speed it will start to over steer.

Ive found the Supras love the long fast corners, like turn 1 at EC, car is so stable, added big Wing was even better!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by noobd loves either cawk View Post
    3.5L E85 drinking Supra? Independent Motorsports down in Dandenong (I think). Was in an issue of Zoom.
    Yep, I reckon you're right with that. Wonder what happened with it?

hey mr punanny i saw your car on rally australia yesterday, did you know they where going to air some footage?

They did say there would be some covereage but I didnt think Id get any (Thought it be more for the Rally guys). I haven't seen the footage tho
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Saw Blacks car on the box also this weekend. Comentary was saying how it is the most powerfull Supra in the world
    Looked good on tv mate.

Thread Jack!!

You're right to put driver training top of your list. Its going to be the best way to drop seconds off your lap times. Do the driver training and get as much time behind the wheel as you can. Shelve plans for anymore mods until you're getting somewhere near what the car can do now. Mods will just mean more time the car spends in the garage, robbing you of time behind the wheel. There's got to be over 5seconds in the car as it is. No other mods are going to give you that much time! Spend the money on driver taining days and track days instead.

One thing on your future mod list - full slicks? Superlap/Time Attack don't allow them, so it's pointless setting the car up around them or getting used to their grip, when you'll have to ditch them for R specs (or worse) to run superlap.

Good luck with it, they're a very under-rated car in my experience - although mine was very very mild (186rwkw stock turbos & boost).
    Last edited by hrd; 26-03-12 at 11:38 AM.